Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
So after reading this thread, am I right in thinking that most the games will be attended by “fans” from the Indian sub-continent, including ones who’ll have a fight if Brazil were to meet Argentina?

RedDevil@84

So after reading this thread, am I right in thinking that most the games will be attended by “fans” from the Indian sub-continent, including ones who’ll have a fight if Brazil were to meet Argentina?
Quite possible, depending on who managed to grab the most tickets. As I said, 50% of the resident population of Qatar come from India, Bangladesh and Nepal.

avgp_1

They'll also sing along the anthems though, that should count for something

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Agree. But I am a bit puzzled about what Qatar is now hoping to get out of this WC. Rather than get the profile of Dubai for western audiences, they have now gotten a significant degree of negative publicity to turn away any potential western tourists for their newly minted hotels etc. Given the frosty relationship with FIFA in days leading up to the tournament, neither are they or potentially other sporting organisations going to be keen to host a sporting even in Qatar any time soon. It reminds me of an India private company spending millions to build a F1 track and hosting all but two F1 races, to then go bankrupt and lose their other legacy businesses. Qatar's rich financials means that won't happen but don't see any return for them out of spending 200Billion on this WC either.
Well as the saying goes, there's no such thing as bad publicity

A decade ago half the planet had probably never even heard of Qatar

NM

Racist undertones in this thread are interesting to see. Funny especially in a left leaning football forum.

90 + 5min

Racist undertones in this thread are interesting to see. Funny especially in a left leaning football forum.
I don't see any racist undertones what people write here. It is little wierd seeing fans from other parts of world supporting other nations in the way it have been shown. At least from a western perspective. I guess there are people who thinks different. It has nothing to do with racism. I still wonder if those fans would rather support their real national team or team they seem to support from all those video clips? If they did meet.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Seems more like cynicism at the obviously fake attempts to portray things via importing fans in a very North Korean style by the Qatari government.

Or it could be racism.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
They're football fans, it's a World Cup and it's possible to watch games without contributing materially.
Only if you watch the games via illegal streams or on video hosting sites after the final whistle. If you watch them live then you're contributing to the fees the broadcaster has paid to show them.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
England fans singing ‘ghar aagaya’. Heartwarming.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
You guys do know that people in the middle east and other people from weak nations in football actually support foreign national teams right?

I've been an Italy fan all my life. Have some friends who are die hard Germans etc. There are regular street fights between Brazil and Germany fans during world cup season cause of provocations (2002, 7-1 etc.).

I'd bet most of these aren't actually paid fans, just fans of those national teams happy to be part of a world cup for once in their life.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That and a superiority complex.

RedDevil@84

Seems more like cynicism at the obviously fake attempts to portray things via importing fans in a very North Korean style by the Qatari government.
Qatar is a country with 50% of its population from South Asia. And 700,000 of that are Indians. And almost 450,000 people out of that are from one state in India, named Kerala.
It is a ridiculously football crazy state, with fans greatly outnumbering the cricket fans. That is pretty unusual by Indian standards.
They regularly play football tournaments in Kerala. And they play football tournaments in Qatar too.

Even for the FIFA Arab cup in 2021, most of the spectators were south Asian.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/world-...azil-and-malayalees/38569fjmqrsj1uq49igfbf83o

Brophs

The One and Only
Won’t somebody think of the shilldren?

NM

That and a superiority complex.
[/QUOTE]

Yup

I don't see any racist undertones what people write here. It is little wierd seeing fans from other parts of world supporting other nations in the way it have been shown. At least from a western perspective. I guess there are people who thinks different. It has nothing to do with racism. I still wonder if those fans would rather support their real national team or team they seem to support from all those video clips? If they did meet.
I guess nobody from the US or Europe should watch cricket, rugby or any other sport then. Or I guess nobody should watch olympic sports or admire / support athletes outside their country?

NM

Or it could be racism.
Can be both. I'm extremely anti the WC being there but the reasons and attitude from European fans is why the western world is losing support in Africa and Asia

Okey

It has changed.
Thank you. Yeah I've checked that up. I didn't even notice (not much of a match day drinker). I don't recall a similar ruckus about it though. Fans can have a great time without drinking within the stadium, like we all used to do at Champions league games.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yeah, nothing wrong with wearing t-shirt from a NT that isn't yours.
But doing parades and signing songs is another level.

I hope fans from the participating countries attend the matches, otherwise the chants in the stadium are gonna be kinda anti-climatic and very quiet.

massi83

Yup

I guess nobody from the US or Europe should watch cricket, rugby or any other sport then. Or I guess nobody should watch olympic sports or admire / support athletes outside their country?
We don't watch rugby, so there is that. But there is nothing wrong with watching it. However, it would be odd if Germany demanded to host cricket or rugby events as often as, or more often, than the countries that actually play the sport.

90 + 5min

Yup

Why wouldn't anybody watch different sports? Or admire other athletes? But going from admire, support or watch other nations or sports in other countries is totaly different to what we see here. As I say, nothing wrong but in many western countries it feels little bit strange.

I still didn't get my answer. Would those people on different videos support their "own" country instead of lets say England if they met in a football game? Because I really don't know.

Yeah, nothing wrong with wearing t-shirt from a NT that isn't yours.
But doing parades and signing songs is another level.

I hope fans from the participating countries attend the matches, otherwise the chants in the stadium are gonna be kinda anti-climatic and very quiet.
Thing is that I'm not saying it is right or wrong. Just feels little bit wierd seeing people in those videos doing what they do.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I can enjoy Usain Bolt, now... I'm not gonna do a parade with my countrymen waving jamaican flags and signing jamaican songs.

If south asians want to organize those parades for other NTs, fine...but I still think is very weird, and I'm not from Europe or USA.

RedDevil@84

I still didn't get my answer. Would those people on different videos support their "own" country instead of lets say England if they met in a football game? Because I really don't know.
Most of them would support their own country

Andy_Cole

I can enjoy Usain Bolt, now... I'm not gonna do a parade with my countrymen waving jamaican flags and signing jamaican songs.

If south asians want to organize those parades for other NTs, fine...but I still think is very weird, and I'm not from Europe or USA.
To them it’s like following a football club like when we’ve seen United mad fans abroad. Their ‘team’ that they support happen to be a national team.

Gee Male

To them it’s like following a football club like when we’ve seen United mad fans abroad. Their ‘team’ that they support happen to be a national team.
That's fair enough, but it's not racist to not get that or to mock that. I myself would expect a fan of the English football team to be English - surely that's not a racist statement or expectation?

massi83

Don’t hold back Massi. Let it all out. 60 years is too often. Ban World Cups outside ‘proper’ Europe. Hold them in the “footballing nations”, the perfect Western democracies with flawless human rights records. Maybe have 1 WC in the US every 50 years so the Germans can make their “haha Americans” jokes. Otherwise, keep football for us, not “them”. Am I right?
50 isn't divisible by 4.

You do realise that when you are crying racism over somebody disagreeing with you for other reasons, you are diminishing your own justified argument on the incidents when you are actually suffering from racism.

Andy_Cole

That's fair enough, but it's not racist to not get that or to mock that. I myself would expect a fan of the English football team to be English - surely that's not a racist statement or expectation?
Probably is racist to mock it. Like mocking someone coming to England and speaking English different even though it’s their second language.