Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

tomaldinho1

I'm very worried about the World Cup equivalent of this guy. He's going to get his head chopped off for offering a BJ to save the World Cup.

Won’t go down well with the locals that tactics. More likely to lose your head than give it.

SuperiorXI

I feel we are about to watch a big disaster unfold for the Worlds biggest and greatest tournament. It looks like it is going to be a failure of epic proportions.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
I feel we are about to watch a big disaster unfold for the Worlds biggest and greatest tournament. It looks like it is going to be a failure of epic proportions.
I think it's going to come down to the football.

If the games are mediocre then there'll be no hiding for Qatar.

If the games are good they'll be able to wash any unpleasantness away.

I foresee one match day going awry and the security forces getting too heavy handed

Utd heap

Models for Coin.

I foresee one match day going awry and the security forces getting too heavy handed
Are any actual boisterous fanbases taking enough fans for any kind of aggro? I was guessing not.

SuperiorXI

Perhaps but if you look at what they've setup for the fans, it's insane. They're charging £200 a night to stay in prefab shelters. They've made the fan zones with no shade, expecting fans to stand in that heat for over 2 hours. This is just the tip of the iceberg too.

Things may come to ahead even outside of amazing games.

The Purley King

Are any actual boisterous fanbases taking enough fans for any kind of aggro? I was guessing not.
I doubt very much we'll see any issues. No booze at the stadia is going to encourage people to get even more pissed before going to the game, which may not be the best idea and probably the only concern. I'm just not sure how the average fan can afford flights, £200 a night to sleep in a shipping container, £12 a pint, equally expensive food and buy the actual tickets.

Gee Male

That's the biggest issue in this - not the lack of aggro, but the lack of boisterous fans.

If it is going to be a fan base made up of South Asians with no actual connection to the teams they are their to support, then there will be a serious lack of emotion at the games. Atmosphere and singing doesn't create emotion in these games.

All of the world cups, the memories from it are about the fans - the Brazilians dancing samba, the French national anthem booming round the stadium, the English getting drunk and mocked. Take away fans of the actual nationality detracts hugely from the entire festival feel.

Plus, no beer. Shit show

tomaldinho1

Does anyone actually know anyone who is going? Usually I know a lot of fans who get tickets through their clubs for Euros or WC or buy them on the secondary markets but I don’t know a single person now I think of it.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Does anyone actually know anyone who is going? Usually I know a lot of fans who get tickets through their clubs for Euros or WC or buy them on the secondary markets but I don’t know a single person now I think of it.
I know shitloads of people into football (got loads of mates lads) - none of them are going.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Oh just laughing at calling this a world cup. It's an absolute abomination and a joke of one.
The fact it is in Qatar is beyond an abomination and we all have our grievances with it. The fans still want to see the product on the pitch - even if that is also likely to be lacklustre.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Oh just laughing at calling this a world cup. It's an absolute abomination and a joke of one.
What is your hot take on the 1978 world cup? Even Russia 2018?

Football gets very messy if you get all moralistic about it, but everyone has their boundaries I suppose.

For me- I'll enjoy the football and be well aware the politics behind it is a disgrace. As usual.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I know a few. Usually upper class and corporate/sponsor types. The kind that attends a superbowl or Wimbledon final.

studs

Charade noun.

an absurd pretence intended to create a pleasant or respectable appearance.
"talk of unity was nothing more than a charade"

No Interest in this what so ever.

scottser

i can also see incidents of abuse, assault, harm, damage and robbery on fans and their property being roundly ignored by the qatar constabulary.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm going to find a list of sponsors for this world cup and actively try to avoid buying any of their products. Hopefully everyone else will make this loudly known too.

Strootman's Finger

I just keep envisioning a situation where the qatari police massively overreact to some over the top fans and there being major fallout. I'd be shocked if this thing played out without incident.

SuperiorXI

I just keep envisioning a situation where the qatari police massively overreact to some over the top fans and there being major fallout. I'd be shocked if this thing played out without incident.
It's a consequence of their laws and customs being so far removed from what is even considered the bare minimum in the western world. They have a choice, they must either give way more leeway than they otherwise would, or accept the chaos and inevitable fallout.

Stactix

The fact they've already took offense to a reporter & smashed his camera.. that's before the chaos begins doesn't give me much confidence in it not having some severe situations unfolding. Especially if Qatar get smashed.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
One funny thing is, if there was a WC in England and they were permitted to sell alcohol in stadiums, there would probably be more justification in being up-in-arms about that decision post Euro 2020 :lol:

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
If Qataris think they can handle one month football like an F1 weekend, I think the pot will explode in their face.

Djemba-Djemba

Not remotely excited for this World Cup at all.

I think it's going to be shite.

I wonder if the heat will make the games even slower than international football already is.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Budweiser aren't sponsoring it to sell a few cans to the English at the grounds.

It's to beam their advertising all over the world and get great PR like this...
Yeah. They also probably value their long term relationship with FIFA. So they will accept some sweetener from FIFA down the line and ignore this. Bigger problem for FIFA is that precedent this sets, they might find it hard now to arm twist future hosts on changing local laws to accomodate FIFA's financial obligations.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I can remember several WCs and even other big sporting events having a lot of negativity and controversy in the lead up (granted this one has more than most)

But generally they all go off without many issues once it's all gets started and people focus on the sport, I'm expecting the same here

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I can remember several WCs and even other big sporting events having a lot of negativity and controversy in the lead up (granted this one has more than most)

But generally they all go off without many issues once it's all gets started and people focus on the sport, I'm expecting the same here
Likewise.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

Agree. But I am a bit puzzled about what Qatar is now hoping to get out of this WC. Rather than get the profile of Dubai for western audiences, they have now gotten a significant degree of negative publicity to turn away any potential western tourists for their newly minted hotels etc. Given the frosty relationship with FIFA in days leading up to the tournament, neither are they or potentially other sporting organisations going to be keen to host a sporting even in Qatar any time soon. It reminds me of an India private company spending millions to build a F1 track and hosting all but two F1 races, to then go bankrupt and lose their other legacy businesses. Qatar's rich financials means that won't happen but don't see any return for them out of spending 200Billion on this WC either.

Josh 76

Agree. But I am a bit puzzled about what Qatar is now hoping to get out of this WC. Rather than get the profile of Dubai for western audiences, they have now gotten a significant degree of negative publicity to turn away any potential western tourists for their newly minted hotels etc. Given the frosty relationship with FIFA in days leading up to the tournament, neither are they or potentially other sporting organisations going to be keen to host a sporting even in Qatar any time soon. It reminds me of an India private company spending millions to build a F1 track and hosting all but two F1 races, to then go bankrupt and lose their other legacy businesses. Qatar's rich financials means that won't happen but don't see any return for them out of spending 200Billion on this WC either.
Haven’t they bid for the Olympics ?

Josh 76

The fact they've already took offense to a reporter & smashed his camera.. that's before the chaos begins doesn't give me much confidence in it not having some severe situations unfolding. Especially if Qatar get smashed.
If Qatar get smashed, at least their won’t be a fans riot like their would be in England!