Qatar WC | Fans and Atmosphere Watch

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There are several posts in this thread from Asians confirming that this is standard football culture in that part of the world - lots of ignorant comments from those who have never been out of their back garden and can't understand that some might do it differently

BTW this is the article I mentioned
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...expats-welcome-england-to-team-hotel-in-qatar
Ah. Ok. Well there you go. Having previously said I don’t understand why they would support a former coloniser, you can’t knock their enthusiasm!

Mike Smalling

I'm willing to think there may be an element of choreography/inauthenticity going on out there :lol:
This is hilarious, but also depressing in it's degree of fakeness. What used to be a footballing party over four weeks, where people get to support their nation, has turned into a carefully choreographed charade to paint a positive picture of a backwards, autocratic, oil state. I can only hope that the football will actually be good, because everything surrounding it is absolute crap.

MDFC Manager

Does anyone who lives in India (or any other country these fans could potentially come from) know if this is a thing in every World Cup? Do you get people adopting a team, wearing their kit, and ‘supporting’ them throughout the tournament?

Seems weird as feck to European eyes but I’m conscious that football is supported very differently all over the world (e.g. Americans who support individual players)
Yes it happens every world cup. In some parts in India, arguably there's more support for international teams than a European club. I'll probably dig some more for you later but here's a tweet with some pics from a Maradona visit to the state of Kerala. Interestingly most Indian expats in the gulf countries are also from this state, and so you'll see loads of them in the matches.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The goalposts have been changed continually since Qatar was awarded the World Cup. Its happening in winter when it was initially bid for a summer tournament. Why wouldn't the Qataris feel like they can keep changing terms?

I hope FIFA gets sued by Budweiser. It might learn them.

RedTiger

Half mast
Does anyone who lives in India (or any other country these fans could potentially come from) know if this is a thing in every World Cup? Do you get people adopting a team, wearing their kit, and ‘supporting’ them throughout the tournament?

Seems weird as feck to European eyes but I’m conscious that football is supported very differently all over the world (e.g. Americans who support individual players)
I posted this a couple of days ago, it's indicitive of Bangladesh which is split 50/50 Argentina Brazil.

Just Google Bangladesh and world cup, it's been a phenomenon since the eighties.
Qatar paying Bangladeshis in bangladesh to show interest in the world Cup. Truly dystopian.

MDFC Manager

I posted this a couple of days ago, it's indicitive of Bangladesh which is split 50/50 Argentina Brazil.

Just Google Bangladesh and world cup, it's been a phenomenon since the eighties.
Nice, not surprising, West Bengal is the same during this time I think

CallyRed

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This is going to be the fyre fest equivalent for the world cup. Maybe not quite as disastrous in it's actuality - although I'm sure the families of construction workers will disagree - but certainly in it's drop-off from the expected norms of a world cup.

Qatar simply doesn't have the experience, the infrastructure or the culture currently of hosting what are effectively international festivals/celebrations.

I don't want to get stuck on some of the topics floated - I like that an Arab country is hosting the event, I don't particularly mind the mid-season break for hosting, and I think that it's generally a positive step to look for new hosts/expand the game. That said, Qatar is simply not the place to achieve any of the above.

Turkey, UAE, Egypt - even Saudi! - would have been better options.

NYAS

This is going to be the fyre fest equivalent for the world cup. Maybe not quite as disastrous in it's actuality - although I'm sure the families of construction workers will disagree - but certainly in it's drop-off from the expected norms of a world cup.

Qatar simply doesn't have the experience, the infrastructure or the culture currently of hosting what are effectively international festivals/celebrations.

I don't want to get stuck on some of the topics floated - I like that an Arab country is hosting the event, I don't particularly mind the mid-season break for hosting, and I think that it's generally a positive step to look for new hosts/expand the game. That said, Qatar is simply not the place to achieve any of the above.

Turkey, UAE, Egypt - even Saudi! - would have been better options.
Agreed. Qatar lacks the experience its neighbour has (UAE) in dealing with this amount of attention. They’ve already fallen into some very basic traps, almost self-sabotage. This should have been a pan-Gulf WC, but they made up with each other way too late in the day.

Indian Red

Coming from one of the most football crazy places in India, I can say that, yes, this is definitely a thing here. Most people have an adopted team. Brazil and Argentina have the most number of fans. The only thing I can see in my social media is people getting ready to welcome the World Cup. It is always like that during the WC. Club football doesn't get as crazy. Look at the visuals in the link.
https://www.indiatoday.in/visualsto...p-fever-grips-kerala-kolkata-13273-16-11-2022

Reactions: Rood

cyberman

Also Jim White on TalkSport is such a company man. No company or owner can do any wrong.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Tricky one. This current England squad has about 75% of it descending from colonised countries….
I get why it would be harder for someone born and raised in Ireland to ‘support’ England. But people with backgrounds from colonised nations who grew up in England simply won’t feel the same animosity.
Yeah, but that's the thing.
Most of these "fans" in Qatar were born and raised in India.

Kinda weird to see them cheering for England, even doing parades with songs and chants.

A bit bizarre to say the least

diarm

From the Sky article about beer being banned in stadiums:
Now, it is understood beer will only be available in fan zones in Qatar after 6.30pm and drunk fans will be sent to special zones to sober up.
Things are going to get absolutely hilarious once they start trying to enforce this!

MUFC OK

A dry world cup is going to be hilarious.
Think Budweiser will be contacting their legal representatives if beer can't be purchased within a 2 mile radius of the ground as I expect.

Sounds like a pretty clear misrepresentation from authorities.

MUFC OK

Coming from one of the most football crazy places in India, I can say that, yes, this is definitely a thing here. Most people have an adopted team. Brazil and Argentina have the most number of fans. The only thing I can see in my social media is people getting ready to welcome the World Cup. It is always like that during the WC. Club football doesn't get as crazy. Look at the visuals in the link.
https://www.indiatoday.in/visualsto...p-fever-grips-kerala-kolkata-13273-16-11-2022
My colleague is Indian (Seikh). He laughed this off and said there's no way Indians as he knew would be travelling over Qatar in their hundreds to support another nation. He's convinced those fans we have seen over in Qatar are paid actors - but who knows?

Hearsay? @Regulus Arcturus Black

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, but that's the thing.
Most of these "fans" in Qatar were born and raised in India.

Kinda weird to see them cheering for England, even doing parades with songs and chants.

A bit bizarre to say the least
If they had their own decent national team things might not be like this. I think for Indians, they just want a team to cheer - club, country or whatever, seems to make no difference which. For us, completely bizarre of course.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Although one thing I don’t get is why anyone from a former colony would support England? They’re literally the last team on earth that anyone on Ireland would support, for that exact reason.
In my experience Indians tend to be a lot less bitter or hung up about the legacy of their colonial history compared with us. At our end it’s likely driven by the unresolved aspects of our experience. At their end, here’s one explanation from a fairly prominent source (at 1:50):

My colleague is Indian (Seikh). He laughed this off and said there's no way Indians as he knew would be travelling over Qatar in their hundreds to support another nation. He's convinced those fans we have seen over in Qatar are paid actors - but who knows?

Hearsay? @Regulus Arcturus Black
haha.

Erm… if he’d heard from someone (someone in the know for example), that those fans are paid actors, yes.

If he’s just coming up with a theory, no.

So say your colleague said:

My Indian friend is an actor and he was offered by an agency to come to Qatar as a fan, as a job, apparently there’s loads doing it”.

That’d be a perfect example of hearsay.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Jesus. Do you drink Budweiser?! That’s a way more shocking revelation than anything in the Ronaldo thread.
I don't drink it but I hate beer elitism, most commercial beers taste fine. The only commercial beer I think is truly awful is Coors.

Pogue Mahone

haha.

Erm… if he’d heard from someone (someone in the know for example), that those fans are paid actors, yes.

If he’s just coming up with a theory, no.
There’s a link above with a Guardian article where Indian fans who’ve travelled over (and are supporting England) are interviewed.

But hey, because some English bloke in an office, who happens to be Sikh, announced that they’re paid actors, who are we to argue?!

Pogue Mahone

I don't drink it but I hate beer elitism, most commercial beers taste fine. The only commercial beer I think is truly awful is Coors.
Budweiser is an insult to beers though. Completely tasteless.

Not all commercial beers are pish. Heineken is ok. I can’t think of any nice American commercial beers, mind you.

There’s a link above with a Guardian article where Indian fans who’ve travelled over (and are supporting England) are interviewed.

But hey, because some English bloke in an office, who happens to be Sikh, announced that they’re paid actors, who are we to argue?!
If I were Indian and well off enough, I’d be going to a WC on my doorstep (just a short 3h flight away) that’s for sure, and being from a nation with no noteworthy National team, I’d absolutely be adopting one to make it more fun.

diarm

If planeloads of Indian football fans were travelling to Qatar to support teams at the world cup, you would see a proportionate scattering of women and children among them.

In all the videos we've seen, it is 99.99999% men. A similar ration to that of the migrant workers who live and work in Qatar.