Television Quantum Leap Returns

Big Andy

Bloke
They've certainly upped the level of the leaps and episodes since the start of season 1.

It's the second week running you've been talking about wanting to end the season when everything is tied off. Do you know something about a season 3 or a cancellation that I don't? I know the show's ratings have suffered since it returned and moved to Tuesday, but it's been so very few episodes so hopefully it won't be a big deal when NBC decides what to do with it.

I doubt they'll finish the season with Ben coming home and everything is perfect, unless they know they are not coming back or something. Of course, they can also bring him home and send him back leaping - or Addison, here's a thought - if they get another season.
No I don’t know anything, but I’ve read that ratings are down from S1 and it’s been shifted to the 10pm graveyard slot in the US, which is where shows go to die.

I just don’t want another QL series cancelled without an ending, especially as they’ve finished filming S2 already.

Big Andy

Bloke
@Amir Just watched the two final episodes of the series and feck me they really stuck the landing on this one. Two excellent episodes to finish with. The writing has improved so much from the first few episodes of Season 1, and (whisper it quietly) I think I actually put the reboot on a par with the original now.

When they brought back Janice and Beth and the old handlink with the original theme music :drool:

Had to laugh when Gideon brought evil looking version of Ian in as a replacement.

Basically the entire Hannah storyline wasn't for love or anything, it was to bring about Jeffrey being a little cnut.

They have to give us a 3rd season at the very least after that ending as well, I can't have people still lost in time with no final resolution to the story.

If it is cancelled, I'll see you in 30 years for the reboot of the reboot.

Big Andy

Bloke
@Amir Just watched the two final episodes of the series and feck me they really stuck the landing on this one. Two excellent episodes to finish with. The writing has improved so much from the first few episodes of Season 1, and (whisper it quietly) I think I actually put the reboot on a par with the original now.

When they brought back Janice and Beth and the old handlink with the original theme music :drool:

Had to laugh when Gideon brought evil looking version of Ian in as a replacement.

Basically the entire Hannah storyline wasn't for love or anything, it was to bring about Jeffrey being a little cnut.

They have to give us a 3rd season at the very least after that ending as well, I can't have people still lost in time with no final resolution to the story.

If it is cancelled, I'll see you in 30 years for the reboot of the reboot.
Also, I was half expecting this to happen...
"One more thing, when Ben Song steps out of the accelerator, shoot him" then Sam walks out of the accelerator, says "Oh Boy" and is then immediately cut down in a hail of gunfire :lol: Can you imagine the meltdown.

Big Andy

Bloke
I loved the original. Can't say I'm too excited for this, though, as I can't believe they'll be able to recapture that spark. The Bakula-Stockwell duo was a huge part in it.
So 2 seasons in, has this changed? It has for me.

Amir

So 2 seasons in, has this changed? It has for me.
Yes, it has. It's been a lot better than I expected starting around the middle of season 1, and the last two episodes of season 2 were fantastic. I don't know if it can ever be on par with the original for me, simply because of the nostalgic vibe that Sam and Al had, but it stands well on its own two feet.

I always enjoyed the little nods to the original, like the (always partly working) handlink that gave Addison the same trouble if gave Al. I just wish they did a little bit more of that. I mean, they can't bring Sam back if Scott Bakula isn't into it, but even seeing and hearing Ziggy like in the original, or always having Ben look in a mirror to actually see who he is in each leap, are things that I miss

I've noticng QL has been near the bottom of this season's NBC dramas ratings, so it's not great. But hopefully it's doing well enough on other platforms to get another season. Or at least a chance for closure, like NBC did with Timeless a few years ago.

decorativeed

Just finished those final two episodes and I loved them. The reboot doesn't give me the same feeling as the old one in terms of tone, but it's by now its own show in its own right and it'd be a travesty if they left us hanging like that with so many unanswered questions. First being:

How did Adison recognise Ben as Ben and vice versa when they were both in the bodies of other people?

Amir

How did Adison recognise Ben as Ben and vice versa when they were both in the bodies of other people?
That's a good question.

The original established at some point that when Al is in the imaging chamber he sees Sam as the person he leaped into - which was a bit of a problem when he leaped into good looking women.

I think that in the new version the person in the chamber can see the actual leaper, for whatever reason. But Addison and Ben have now seen each other for real, not through the chamber, so who knows... Maybe they didn't leap into other people?

Big Andy

Bloke
That's a good question.

The original established at some point that when Al is in the imaging chamber he sees Sam as the person he leaped into - which was a bit of a problem when he leaped into good looking women.

I think that in the new version the person in the chamber can see the actual leaper, for whatever reason. But Addison and Ben have now seen each other for real, not through the chamber, so who knows... Maybe they didn't leap into other people?
Even the ones watching on that video screen in the future see Ben as Ben as well

decorativeed

Oh yeah, destined to be lost together in World War 2.

fecking gutted this has ended, this show meant a lot to me as a kid.
I liked how this version did its own thing and had its own spin on the idea. I'd welcome another series or another stab at it from a different direction, as - other than the final scene with Addison and Ben - this one felt like it had a farily satisfying conclusion to its arc. The 80s show you could pretty much watch in any order and not feel like you missed anything.