Kick-off
Sat, 17 January 2015 @ 3:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 61 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Look at all these posts with a back 4, so many tears will be shed, mine included. :(

De Gea

Jones
    Smalling
    Blind

Valencia
    Carrick
    Rooney
    Mata
    Shaw

Di Maria
    Falcao

RedDevil@84

Force Di Maria to play forward and screw up in 2 more matches, some people and media will be calling him a waste of money. so much that he will want to go to PSG..

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Just trust me on this van Gaal....

DDG
    RAFAEL---------JONES--------ROJO--------SHAW
    BLIND
    HERRERA-----------------DI MARIA
    ROONEY
    VAN PERSIE-------FALCAO
    Instructions:

Standard mentality, fluid formation
    • Play short passes
    • Use a higher tempo
    • Make use of overlaps
    • Run at defense
    • Play out of defense
    • Pass into space
    • Push higher up
    • Close down more often
    • Exploit the middle
    • Play wider
    Did you just copy and paste that from football manager :lol:

MUFCgal

-------------DDG-------------
    Rafa----Jones---Rojo-----Shaw
    -------------Blind-------------
    ------Herrera-----Di Maria-----
    -------------Mata-------------
    -------Rooney----Falcao-------

Subs: Valdes, Smalling, Valencia, Carrick, Fellaini, Wilson, Van Persie.

Bwuk

Let's face it, QPR are rubbish.

Rather than play defenders who aren't comfortable on the ball, why not shift Blind in there? We are going to dominate possession anyway, and QPR will play with one upfront (Austin). Let Smalling mark him. Let's actually attack a side and play with confidence.

De Gea
    Rafael - Smalling - Blind - Shaw
    Carrick - Herrera
    Valencia - di Maria - Mata
    Rooney​

Won't happen. We will play 3-5-2, QPR will play one upfront and close the space for our midfielders, and none of our defenders who are comfortable on the ball will just pass it aimlessly between themselves through fear of playing it forward.

RedDevil@84

De Gea
    Jones Smalling Blackett
    Valencia Herrera/Mata Carrick Rooney Falcao
    Di Maria Fellaini

Perfect :)

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    I voted for a win, but really if we play 3-5-2 and do win it will most likely be luck.

Adcuth

If we have to suffer this 352 then i'd prefer our players in almost the correct positions.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
    So what happens if we lose this?

It's entirely possible if we continue with these shit tactics.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    If we lose this one, then you can really kiss our season goodbye.
    a loss here won't really make any difference though will it.

we'd simply go from being just above 5th, to being a max of 2 points off. Hardly season altering.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
    Our full backs and first choice center backs are the most match fit they've been since this lengthy run of 352 began. I'm hoping that, combined with the Southampton game and general recent performances, will be enough to convince LVG it's time to revert to 4 at the back. I'd like to see one of these, or some variation on these:

Diamond:
    de Gea
    Rafael Smalling Rojo Shaw
    Carrick
    Fellaini di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney Falcao
    4231:
    de Gea
    Rafael Smalling Rojo Shaw
    Blind Carrick
    Januzaj Mata di Maria
    Rooney​

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    I've decided to make my line-up solely on what I want to see, hoping it works.

Scrappy one goal deficit in our favour.

JoaquinJoaquin

a loss here won't really make any difference though will it.

we'd simply go from being just above 5th, to being a max of 2 points off. Hardly season altering.
    Well I don't know, because if we drop out of the top 4 positions it will be hard to get back in. Especially playing the way we are.

soapythecat

Right, my first formation prediction of the season:

DDG
    Rafeal - Jones - Smalling - Shaw
    Herrera - Carrick
    Valencia - Rooney - Di Maria
    Falcao

Lets stop fecking about and get some proper points on the board - that team will hammer QPR and we have subs to make a shift if needed.

Won't happen….I may as well buy a bastard lotto ticket as I've more chance of scooping the jackpot!

Anyway, 352 and 1-1.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    What I'd like to see...

de Gea
    Valencia Smalling Rojo Shaw
    Blind
    Carrick di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney Falcao
    But I reckon he'll persist with the 3-5-2, so hopefully...

de Gea
    Jones Smalling Rojo
    Valencia Carrick di Maria Blind
    Mata
    Rooney Falcao​

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
    feck this. i'm not beating around the bush, i want januzaj to start whether we play a 3-5-2, a 9-1-1 or a 1-7-2

WyoManU

LVG better hope we wreck them..otherwise increasingly more knives will be sharpened.

The White Pele

Would like to see something different:

----------------DDG
    Rafael--Jones--Smalling--Blind
    -----------Carrick
    ---Fellaini--Herrera--Di Maria
    -------Mata---Rooney

A diamond(ish) in midfield. Fellaini did strangely well in his right side of the diamond role when he had a couple of games there. Di Maria deep to start attacks and beat men in midfield. Herrera buzzing around with Mata dropping into the hole to link play and Rooney the poacher. Blind can whip in a wicked delivery from wide which is a valuable asset given our lack of fluency currently.

Last edited:

Cmz'

I wish just for one game we try a similar formation to the one Madrid tried last season and see if we get any luck from it:

-------------de Gea
    Rafael --- Smalling --- Rojo --- Shaw
    ----------Carrick
    -----Herrera-----di Maria
    Januzaj ---- Falcao ------ Rooney

Then throughout the game di Maria takes up a similar role to the one he took up last season as a sort of hybrid cm/lw with Rooney coming inside leaving it looking like this:

-------------de Gea
    Rafael --- Smalling --- Rojo --- Shaw
    -------Herrera----Carrick
    Januzaj --------------- di Maria
    -------Falcao ------ Rooney

Alternatively we could just play a 4222 similar to the way City did last season with the above formation and have Mata playing where Janzuzaj is playing in a more narrow role similar to David Silva and di Maria who could drift around (like Nasri) or provide width (like Navas)

Doubt we'd try the 4222 but I don't see why we couldn't play a formation like Madrid's at least, especially with van Gaal's apparent love for the 433.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
    Time to get it right, Louis.

4411/4231/433/422 are distant dreams under VG, the best we could hope is that he ditches the 3 central defenders and goes for the diamond.

Fingers crossed for:

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Smalling Shaw
    Carrick
    Valencia Di Maria
    Rooney
    Falcao Wilson
    What I think we'll get is:

De Gea
    Valencia Smalling Rojo Blind
    Carrick
    Fellaini Mata
    Rooney
    Falcao Di Maria
    (Blind for Shaw as he said that, "Blind, Rojo and Di Maria shall always play". Don't know how else to fit him in a diamond with Carrick fit.)

Which should be enough to turnover QPR. 0-3 United, and a ton of posts on how everyone overreacted after the Saints loss and the "philosophy" works.

minoo-utd

-------------DDG-------------
    Rafa----Jones---Rojo-----Blind
    -------------Carrick-------------
    ------Fellaini------Di Maria-----
    -------------Mata-------------
    -------Rooney----Falcao-------
    Just stop this 3-5-2 thing.

Roosney

If and when we play with 3-5-2 I just hope Herrera starts. Maybe Rooney in the hole. But not the team LVG has fielded in the last few matches, the gap between the strikers, Mata and the midfield kills our attacking play.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
    I'm almost certain we'll play with 3 at the back. I think Van Gaal emphatically believes in the formation and will not change it.

m1y2

I want only two things to change and that is to bench Carrick and Mata who are never going to give our team any pace and aggression which I find crucial at this stage and for our future long-term.

Obviously switch to 4 defenders and Blind moving to midfield - Herrera - Fellaini in midfield, dimaria as 10 in diamond and rooney-falcao up front. Maybe leave Fellaini on the bench from the start and play Herrera with Di María and Blind on the base as it was the best midfield trio we played so far this season under the Dutchman.. and Rooney as 10 and Falcao with Wilson with a lot of support will score goal for us. I don't mind playing Valencia as fullback, he can play there.

It will be interesting if LVG plays Blind out of position again and other players. In reality I bet Blind is going to play left wingback as Shaw had a bad game and we are going to play with 5 at the back and Mata in midfield again and we all will cry again. Rooney might go further the pitch as our most physical player Fellaini is back so no need to stay in midfield for our captain fantastic.. I love this Van United, so much excitement don't you think?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
    Scout
    I want only two things to change and that is to bench Carrick and Mata who are never going to give our team any pace and aggression which I find crucial at this stage and for our future long-term.

Obviously switch to 4 defenders and Blind moving to midfield - Herrera - Fellaini in midfield, dimaria as 10 in diamond and rooney-falcao up front. Maybe leave Fellaini on the bench from the start and play Herrera with Di María and Blind on the base as it was the best midfield trio we played so far this season under the Dutchman.. and Rooney as 10 and Falcao with Wilson with a lot of support will score goal for us. I don't mind playing Valencia as fullback, he can play there.

It will be interesting if LVG plays Blind out of position again and other players. In reality I bet Blind is going to play left wingback as Shaw had a bad game and we are going to play with 5 at the back and Mata in midfield again and we all will cry again. Rooney might go further the pitch as our most physical player Fellaini is back so no need to stay in midfield for our captain fantastic.. I love this Van United, so much excitement don't you think?
    Agree for the most part, though I'd go for a Rooney/Falcao pair upfront, Mata as a 10, Di Maria and Herrera as 8s and Blind (or Carrick) at the base. Really hope we line up like that, with Raf and Shaw as fullbacks, and Smalling and another in CB. Is Rojo still injured?

red_devil83

I've predicted an away win against most "lesser" teams this season but looking at their home form and considering we're basically Aston Villa away, then I've gone for a draw.

For the love of Christ I hope he bins off this 3-5-2 nonsense.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Austin will be like Lewandowski for this game, Taarabt will be free like Zidane on the pitch and their midfield will be as good as Keano-Scholesy….

Guess that LVG will change the players but not the tactics…

--------------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------------------

----------------Smalling-----------Carrick-----------------Rojo----------------------

Valencia----------------------------Blind-----------------------------------------Shaw

------------------------Fellaini--------------------Di Maria----------------------------

------------------------------Rooney-------Falcao/Wilson---------------------------

-------------------------------------Austin------------------------------------------

Fer--------------------------------Taarabt---------------------------------Vargas

-----------------------------Barton--------Henry-----------------------------------

Hill------------------------Dunne---------Caulker-----------------------------Isla

-------------------------------------Green---------------------------------------------

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
    Going for something slightly different with the lineup I am hoping for:

------------------ De Gea --------------------------

Rafael -------Jones -----------Smalling --------Shaw

-------------Carrick --------------------------------
    ------------------------Blind------------------------

Valencia--------------Mata---------------Di Maria

--------------------Rooney----------------------------

Wouldn't mind seeing this with Di Maria and Mata floating around, Blind covering Di Maria and helping out Shaw.

I just think we have missed quality wing play for most of the season, Rafael and Valencia have a good understanding and Shaw is much more effective going forward when he is starting from a deeper position / has someone in front of him to link with.

PotatoedTomato

We'll definitely have to play a 3 man defense to neutralize QPR's dangerous and vibrant attacking threat. No point imposing our own game for once when faced with such a dangerous and on-form opponent!

FacerTheRed

Agree benching Carrick, mostly because he has been playing every game and the lad needs a rest IMO. I dont agree with benching Mata though, even though he doesnt show pace, the guy does gets in those key positions that can hurt a team either on goal or a pass, he could of scored a hatrick last game if it werent for his poor finishing which let him down. Di Maria is not suited to play no. 10, the guy likes to get the ball from deep areas and run through the middle, take on players, link it up with the no.10, play them key passes whilst at high speed etc. He played striker and no. 10 against Southampton and he just couldnt get going because he just didnt have the breathing space to do anything, put him in a no. 8 role and he'll be back assisting and scoring goals. Rafael i hope will return and slot into the full back position, Jones & Rojo centre back, them two had a nice partnership until Rojo got injured. Shaw on the left, he looks sharper each game and hopefully he can do a full 90 min. Blind in holding midfield to fill in carrick, Herrera, Di Maria in central midfield with Mata in no. 10. Their link-up play will destroy QPR like they did last meeting and then Falcao & Rooney up front. Unsure about RVP, he got subbed off and went straight to the physio so could be a sign of a hammy or calf injury maybe, so doubt we'll see him next game.

----------------------------DDG-----------------------
    RAFEAL------JONES------------------ROJO-------SHAW
    ---------------------------BLIND---------------------
    ---------HERRERA----------------------DI MARIA----
    ---------------------------MATA-----------------------
    --------------ROONEY--------------FALCAO------------

Last edited:

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
    Need to win it and the team will do it, no doubt :)

Maybe start Herrera, give Falcao a game, Di Maria in midfield and Rooney up front, they should win that, otherwise we are in trouble. Hope we see something from Adnan too.

ottosec

Might as well play 4231 if RVP is out. DDG - Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Shaw - Carrick, Rooney - Januzaj, Mata, Di maria - Falcao

Mystry

Friendship is magic
    ---------------De Gea----------
    Rafael--Smalling--Rojo--Shaw
    --------------Carrick-----------
    -------Herrera------Di Maria---
    ----------------Mata------------
    -----------Rooney---Falcao----

Please Louis.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    I'm almost certain we'll play with 3 at the back. I think Van Gaal emphatically believes in the formation and will not change it.
    I said exactly this, before the last few games.
    He is a stubborn man and history has shown this.
    It's his way or the high way. And his way, is the right way. He will live or die by this.
    At present, it appears that his way is 352 - so thats what we are likely to see more of.

Now, if we were to slip out of the top 4, then...I'm not sure what would happen.

Mr.Plow

---------------De Gea--------------

Rafael---Jones-----Smalling----Shaw

---------------Carrick-----------------

-----Herrera----------Di Maria----

---------------Mata----------------

----------Rooney--------Falcao

Maybe that's a little offensive but really we should be aiming to take the game to QPR and we have the players to do it. I wouldn't be too bothered by Fellaini or Blind being fit in ahead of Herrera though. I wouldn't start RVP regardless of his injury, sadly he's back to his early season self.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
    It's gonna be 3-5-2 and we're going to struggle.

QPR are a completely different proposition at home and someone like Austin will have a field day with our defence. He's not even very good but you just know he's the type of player in the type of game to really make whoever we've got at the back have an absolute mare.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    We'd be okay to play the 3-5-2 if Herrera and di Maria are selected in the midfield, they are integral to us injecting pace into our offensive play.

de Gea
    Jones Smalling Evans
    Carrick
    Valencia Herrera di Maria Blind
    Mata
    Rooney​

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player