Question for the Hojlund haters and doubters

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Name the strikers, in the history of football, who have successfully led the line at a 'top' European club at the age of 21.

Haaland springs to mind as an obvious one.

I was surprised that RvN was already 25 when he came to United, because I thought we wanted to buy him when he was 19, until he had that serious injury.

Obviously, there are going to be several, of course there is, but it's a big ask of any player, considering he's had no strike partner nor anyone to rotate with him to give him a rest.

btw, the answer to this question isn't "but he cost £70M".

Name names.
Fowler
Owen
Mbappe
Anelka
Henry
Alvarez
Defoe
Cole
Palmer
Rooney
Aguero
Torres
Benzema
Osimhen
Lukaku

Could go on tbh.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I dont understand this "he is only 21" excuse at all because players like Rooney, Lukaku, Rashford, Owen, Ronaldo, and Greenwood were all a lot better than Hojlund before they even turned 21.
It's not, just watch him play, it's clear the fundamentals are not there, seems really, really raw.

Irwin99

I do think the problems in our attack have been overshadowed by the defense and there's obviously a reason for that but it's still a glaring issue. When everyone is fit our best front three is -Garnacho-Hojlund-Rashford. Two inconsistent kids and another guy who's had one great season and two bad ones in three years.

Hojlund should have had another striker to compete with/learn from (who isn't called Antony Martial). Poor planning from the club again.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
At the start of the season you'd think 12-15 goals would be a reasonable expectation. He has 13. Not bad considering he's not been particularly well supported by his team-mates. He's usually lucky to see a dozen touches
That's what sensible fans said was a reasonable expectation, unfortunately sensible fans are a minority

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
There’s a name for that, “Stupid fickle c*nt fans syndrome”
There's a name for this post as well - it's called using insults when you have 0 (read as feck all) valid arguments.

Dazzmondo

I haven't given up on Hojlund by any means. His finishing is exceptional and he's very fast. His movement, positioning, heading, first touch and hold up play all need a lot of work though. Some of this isn't that urgent, but he really needs to develop the movement and positioning, or he's never going to score the amount of goals we need. Players can't create for a striker that's not in the right position or is surrounded by players.

This thread seems kinda pointless though because there are actually a lot of examples of strikers who were scoring lots of goals by the age of 21. Criticism doesn't mean people are haters. It's just reacting to the performances. Personally I think Garnacho has received far more hate despite performing far better.

evil_geko

I haven't given up on Hojlund by any means. His finishing is exceptional and he's very fast. His movement, positioning, heading, first touch and hold up play all need a lot of work though. Some of this isn't that urgent, but he really needs to develop the movement and positioning, or he's never going to score the amount of goals we need. Players can't create for a striker that's not in the right position or is surrounded by players.

This thread seems kinda pointless though because there are actually a lot of examples of strikers who were scoring lots of goals by the age of 21. Criticism doesn't mean people are haters. It's just reacting to the performances. Personally I think Garnacho has received far more hate despite performing far better.
Criticism is fine, posts saying to already get rid, where they already profiled him enough to know he will never make it etc are the problem.

We need experienced striker to lay off pressure from the lad so he can develop in peace.

Lyng

21 in Prem, 31 in all comps
Insane how productive he got going from 3 goals the season before, with less minutes but still its a huge change.
Given that Rasmus just turned 21 I hope we see a similar boost to him, but if Ten Hag stays we wont.
Our attack lacks any kind of pattern of play under him.

Dazzmondo

Criticism is fine, posts saying to already get rid, where they already profiled him enough to know he will never make it etc are the problem.
Well, I haven't seen any of those tbh. Anyone saying to get rid already are being ridiculous, yes. The vast majority are just criticising his current performances or maybe suggesting he'd be better with another striker competing with him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He could improve that for sure but 9/10 he has no one to link up with anyway.

We have so many more bigger issues to fix than Rasmus, getting additional strikers in would be a good start, getting wingers who are unselfish, sorting out the midfield after 10 years of mismanagement, getting a couple of full backs who can overlap and cut it back into the box are others. We have ZERO patterns of play, strikers feed of knowing the passes/crosses to expect, we create virtually nothing for him.
He ain't the biggest issue for sure but he is one that cannot be ignored

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
when you watch a youngster play football, you can normally tell whether or not they’ll make it by the age of about 9. if denmark were serious about being a nation that wasn’t a joke nation that had never won a major football tournament, they would chemically castrate and chop the feet of any boy over the age of 8, if they couldn’t score a penalty to save their mother’s life.

AndySmith1990

There’s a name for that, “Stupid fickle c*nt fans syndrome”
Always find it interesting how people like yourself think it's acceptable to personally abuse people you don't know, yet you get offended when a United player receives criticism. Bit of a strange double standard that you may want to reflect on

Denis79

I don't understand this.

Should we expect nothing from Hojlund and be grateful for his mere presence on the pitch? At what age are we allowed to start criticising him?
Yes! Just be happy he's on the pitch! To your other question the answer is 29, like with Lingaard. Young forever.

ItDoesntEvenMata

when you watch a youngster play football, you can normally tell whether or not they’ll make it by the age of about 9. if denmark were serious about being a nation that wasn’t a joke nation that had never won a major football tournament, they would chemically castrate and chop the feet of any boy over the age of 8, if they couldn’t score a penalty to save their mother’s life.
Denmark have won a major tournament

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He’ll have to be for next season, doubt we’ll get round to this one unless we get a cheap experienced one to rotate.
For me it's never been about the stats when it comes to him. I really hope he becomes stronger on his feet, that he can control the ball under the pressure and release it. After that I realize there are other issues in terms of general attacking play but he's got to improve on the most basic stuff. He should watch how tall and physical strikers use their bodies to shield balls and link up

Ollie Derbyshire

For me it's never been about the stats when it comes to him. I really hope he becomes stronger on his feet, that he can control the ball under the pressure and release it. After that I realize there are other issues in terms of general attacking play but he's got to improve on the most basic stuff. He should watch how tall and physical strikers use their bodies to shield balls and link up
I think that’s coachable , he’s a big lad and hopefully he’ll get better at this aspect. He should be able to put himself about more and look after the ball better.

Chumpsbechumps

Always find it interesting how people like yourself think it's acceptable to personally abuse people you don't know, yet you get offended when a United player receives criticism. Bit of a strange double standard that you may want to reflect on
Well I am trying to fit in here , so it should feel really familiar to you

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
No idea what you wrote there but I'm sure you think it's funny.
not your fault. there’s an intellect to my jokes that mean they fly over the head of even the most switched on Chelsea fan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rightnr

not your fault. there’s an intellect to my jokes that mean they fly over the head of even the most switched on Chelsea fan.
Yeah, funny how I was banned for homophobic comments and now being insulted along the same lines :lol: .

Key takeaway is that you have a strong case of Rashforditis - giving it but not being able to take it.

It's also funny how some of these high and mighty posters on here resort to insults when they get called out on their bullshit :lol:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Yeah, funny how I was banned for homophobic comments and now being insulted along the same lines :lol: .

Key takeaway is that you have a strong case of Rashforditis - giving it but not being able to take it.

It's also funny how some of these high and mighty posters on here resort to insults when they get called out on their bullshit :lol:
did you stop for one second to think that maybe my first post was calling out all the people who think at 21 year old striker should be the finished product and able to shoot us to a premier league title, despite playing in a dysfunctional team, you Chelsea fan?

Rightnr

did you stop for one second to think that maybe my first post was calling out all the people who think at 21 year old striker should be the finished product and able to shoot us to a premier league title, despite playing in a dysfunctional team, you Chelsea fan?
Yeah, I get what you're trying to say in a smartass way, it's just a dumb argument. Plenty of people have pointed why but playing the joker stops others from exposing how much of a nonsense this whole position is when Martial has been slated for years and was 3 times the player Rasmus is on arrival at 19.

But keep insulting away, let's see if consistency exists on the moderation side.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s had a difficult job, but hasn’t made it easier with his performances. He looks raw even for his age at times, if there aren’t many examples of players his age leading the line then I’d suggest in future not gambling the money we did on a player that had achieved so little in the game.

ItDoesntEvenMata

I know he was coming into a more successful team but I think even a young Welbeck looked more like the real deal and had better performances in his first season or two in the first team

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Yeah, I get what you're trying to say in a smartass way, it's just a dumb argument. Plenty of people have pointed why but playing the joker stops others from exposing how much of a nonsense this whole position is when Martial has been slated for years and was 3 times the player Rasmus is on arrival at 19.

But keep insulting away, let's see if consistency exists on the moderation side.
i’d personally wait and see if hojlund spends the next 7 years mincing around like he doesn’t give a shit, before tarring him with the same brush.