Question for the Hojlund haters and doubters

colombianmancunian

Got 16 goals in a shit side that doesn’t pass to him, being new to the PL and just 20/21 years old. The guy is a gem and will become greats for us.

That being said, we need a more experienced striker to compete with him, and help him improve.

Kellyiom

Why would anyone hate Hojland??
Bizarre thread title :wenger:
Totally! Of all the many things I could complain about, this is not one. Given the dire situation of low morale, poor service, new to the team, dysfunction everywhere, inexperience and a fairly hefty fee, he's been pretty good.

Our younger players actually seem like they have a decent natural bond, him, Mainoo, Garnacho and Diallo have given me hope!

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Why would anyone hate Hojland??
Bizarre thread title :wenger:
Some people are really juvenile and throw the word hater at anyone who is critical of a player they like
I don't know if you regularly follow the pattern, there will be section of fan base who will post only negative about certain players and goes into hiding when that player plays well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't know if you regularly follow the pattern, there will be section of fan base who will post only negative about certain players and goes into hiding when that player plays well.
It is called criticism. You are a scout. Read a little what people write about Rashford, Shaw, Casemiro, Onana or even Bruno. Now, that is hate.
In two Hojlund's threads there is no a single post where he is called names (poor man's Lukaku is the worst what i read) or where people want him sold.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
It is called criticism. You are a scout. Read a little what people write about Rashford, Shaw, Casemiro, Onana or even Bruno. Now, that is hate.
In two Hojlund's threads there is no a single post where he is called names (poor man's Lukaku is the worst what i read) or where people want him sold.
Thanks for reminding me I'm scout. I read posts, that's why I said what I said.

If your only contribution is criticism and then goes to hiding when he plays well and then be a loud mouth when his form dips, then it's not criticism. It's a post motivated by dislike or hatred towards the player.

If you are level headed poster who has good intention when you criticise player, then you should also praise him when he does well. It's that simple.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Thanks for reminding me I'm scout. I read posts, that's why I said what I said.

If your only contribution is criticism and then goes to hiding when he plays well and then be a loud mouth when his form dips, then it's not criticism. It's a post motivated by dislike or hatred towards the player.

If you are level headed poster who has good intention when you criticise player, then you should also praise him when he does well. It's that simple.
Looks promising
He reminds me a little on Alen Boksic. Big, strong but yet extremely mobile and pacey. I hope he will have much better luck with injuries than Alen.
This goal was top class goal. Something what you expect from Man Utd striker. Top move that.
Hardly a hatred from my side.

DontBeMeanToBeRuud

I've been very dissapointed in his performances for Denmark.

Apprently the Danish Media has aswell.

He just sometimes doesn't feel dangerous enough and I'm unsure that we should build the first team to just get the best out of a central number 9 like Hojlund.

I still prefer Rashford and our inverted forwards like Garnacho being used as our main attacking source than a central striker like Hojlund.

Has some goals in him for sure & happy with him being part of the squad but not only do you need more than just goals - i just don't ever see him really being a consistent 20 + goal striker in the PL including being a potentially 30 goal per season striker in all competitions.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
To simply post a link is pretty low effort. To post one that doesn't even support your original point is even worse.

For those not wanting to click on the link: The link references two ratings: bold.dk and Tipsbladet. One is fairly critical (4/10), the other is 3/5 I think and fairly positive.

Then the two I saw the other day: Politiken and DR. Politiken rated him the same as Eriksen (10, the second highest grade) and DR rated him one grade below that. Which is also positive. But yet, let's keep shitting on our own players any chance we get.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To simply post a link is pretty low effort. To post one that doesn't even support your original point is even worse.

For those not wanting to click on the link: The link references two ratings: bold.dk and Tipsbladet. One is fairly critical (4/10), the other is 3/5 I think and fairly positive.

Then the two I saw the other day: Politiken and DR. Politiken rated him the same as Eriksen (10, the second highest grade) and DR rated him one grade below that. Which is also positive. But yet, let's keep shitting on our own players any chance we get.
What madness is this? Who makes a grading system where 10 is the second highest rating?!

DontBeMeanToBeRuud

Probably doesn't get much service from Denmark as well :confused:

Hopefully he can have a good Euro's and put some of my doubts to bay.

Until then i think its fair for me to doubt him as our main attacking source as the striker the rest of the squad has to primarily create for - as he isn't particularly creative enough for the players around him like Garanacho or Rashford playing outwide in comparison to someone like Martial's creativity, which wasn't exactly world class or consistent either.

Mike Smalling

Morten Bruun who writes and commentates for TV2, is openly a Man Utd fan, and who is the best Danish pundit in my opinion, gave Højlund 4/10 for the game yesterday. His assessment was (loosely translated): "Højlund struggles with his game. It's a while since he has scored for the national team, and it seems to impact him. You can't say he missed any big chances, because he didn't have any".

I think that's a fair assessment of the game against Norway. There was a lot of similarities to when he's played poorly for United. Too much fighting with the centrebacks, not getting involved in the ground game, and not reaching the crosses.

Bobski

He is a very good finisher but not yet someone who has the refined movement and awareness of where to be which would allow him to get on the end of things with more regularity.

bringbackbebe

Andy Carroll lead Liverpool's line around 21/22. Probably not a good comparison, but a facht is a facht.

Edit: before people bombard me, I think Hojlund's been fine last year and I'm impressed with his potential. I'm just answering OPs question.

Von Mistelroum

I don't think it's a case of "what strikers led the line at 21?" Because that indicates that Hojlund can't do that but that's ok because others couldn't.

I don't think this is the case. I think he is already capable of leading the line, and that if he played in the current Arsenal, City, Liverpool, even Newcastle or Villa teams, he'd be looking more obviously top class.

The real question is "what strikers can lead the line with no supply from the team?" And the answer is none.

Mike Smalling

Andy Carroll lead Liverpool's line around 21/22. Probably not a good comparison, but a facht is a facht.

Edit: before people bombard me, I think Hojlund's been fine last year and I'm impressed with his potential. I'm just answering OPs question.
OP was asking for players that had done it successfully. I don't think that applies to Andy Carroll.

DontBeMeanToBeRuud

I don't think it's a case of "what strikers led the line at 21?" Because that indicates that Hojlund can't do that but that's ok because others couldn't.

I don't think this is the case. I think he is already capable of leading the line, and that if he played in the current Arsenal, City, Liverpool, even Newcastle or Villa teams, he'd be looking more obviously top class.

The real question is "what strikers can lead the line with no supply from the team?" And the answer is none.
I dont mean to be ruud..Sorry but this is rubbish and could be same used for Rashford looking better for Arsenal.

Arsenal have predominantly used a False 9 like Havertz or even G jesus who is a bit more creative than Hojlund but arguably at their peak Havertz was playing as the CF.

Havertz at United playing centrally inbetween two inverted forwards like Rashford, Garnacho, amad and others would be the best tactic we have because we would basically be copying Arsenals tactics of 2 IF with one false 9.

Thats why Ten Hag stopped picking Hojlund and started to use Bruno Fernandes as a false 9 towards the end of the season.

If Sancho didn't get in to a brawl then he would have been used as a false 9 and United would have had a better season than they did because of more fluidity for inverted forwards playing with a False 9.

Instead the inverted forwards got picked with a poacher or a channel running ST and suddenly had to create for Hojlund - ie why everyone started complaining about the lack of service to Hojlund.

Yet no one saw the lack of service Rashford & co received from Hojlund in comparison to Martial who was our 2nd ST last year: another forward that plays from deep almost like a false 9.

Lyng

Why the smilies? Are they crappy papers?
Bold.dk's writers are just random blokes. The reason that site blew up was mostly about having a comment section and a forum, back when that wasnt a thing the main media sites had.
Tipsbladet used to be a quite good magazine but it took a huge nosedive in quality.

Its pretty close to the most useless outlets you can find for football in Denmark.

All that having been said, while Højlund was decent in the last two matches its pretty clear he has regressed on the national team as well. It was a huge worry of mine seing how he regressed under Ten hags United.

Lyng

I dont mean to be ruud..Sorry but this is rubbish and could be same used for Rashford looking better for Arsenal.

Arsenal have predominantly used a False 9 like Havertz or even G jesus who is a bit more creative than Hojlund but arguably at their peak Havertz was playing as the CF.

Havertz at United playing centrally inbetween two inverted forwards like Rashford, Garnacho, amad and others would be the best tactic we have because we would basically be copying Arsenals tactics of 2 IF with one false 9.

Thats why Ten Hag stopped picking Hojlund and started to use Bruno Fernandes as a false 9 towards the end of the season.

If Sancho didn't get in to a brawl then he would have been used as a false 9 and United would have had a better season than they did because of more fluidity for inverted forwards playing with a False 9.

Instead the inverted forwards got picked with a poacher or a channel running ST and suddenly had to create for Hojlund - ie why everyone started complaining about the lack of service to Hojlund.

Yet no one saw the lack of service Rashford & co received from Hojlund in comparison to Martial who was our 2nd ST last year: another forward that plays from deep almost like a false 9.
Thats not a Højlund issue. Thats a Ten Hag having no fecking clue how to use his players issue.

Højlund can be quite creative and has a decent dribble when he is running at defenders. Ten Hag used him with back to goal and fighting CBs which was never his strong suit.
Thats also why when he came of the bench in the last matches and was actually playing with front to goal he was much better.
Its a shame that he has to basically start from scratch again because of Ten Hag not understanding a player he bought.

And yes Rashford would look better for Arsenal.

Pogue Mahone

That’s a hell of an opening paragraph…

Brophs

The One and Only
He had an okay first season. Loads of possible reasons for that (lack of service, settling into a new club/league, Antony etc.) but you also can’t really look beyond the fact he was pretty crap as often as not in games this season. While he’d probably score a few more goals in a more well set up team, he wouldn’t look top class anywhere else because he’s nowhere near top class. Top class strikers don’t have the glaring deficiencies he has in his game at the moment. He might get there. But the bit that really isn’t his fault is being over promoted to being United’s starting centre forward when nothing in his career so far would tell you he was ready for that. He needs time and patience. He’s had neither. I hope that doesn’t derail his United career before it has properly started.

Red00012

He just needs to understand the game a bit better or I can send him on a dvd of Van Nistelrooy’s goals and his positioning.

Crimson King

Thats not a Højlund issue. Thats a Ten Hag having no fecking clue how to use his players issue.

Højlund can be quite creative and has a decent dribble when he is running at defenders. Ten Hag used him with back to goal and fighting CBs which was never his strong suit.
Thats also why when he came of the bench in the last matches and was actually playing with front to goal he was much better.
Its a shame that he has to basically start from scratch again because of Ten Hag not understanding a player he bought.

And yes Rashford would look better for Arsenal.
I think it's become fairly obvious to all of us that he isn't a target man striker, and to be totally honest, Man Utd should never be aiming to play a system that relies on a player like that.

Whilst I'm reluctant to assume that he's been asked to play that role by the manager, it certainly looks that way... figuring out how to fit his qualities in with the rest of our attacking line will one of the manager's priorities next season, whomever that might be.

Personally, I think we need at least one of the wide players to be someone creative who doesn't look to score for themselves all the time.

Maagge

What madness is this? Who makes a grading system where 10 is the second highest rating?!
Yeah it's the same grades used in the Danish school system. It's really weird. Basically we had a system with 10 grades that were pretty random (0, 03, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13) where the top grade was meant to be very rare and it didn't translate well to seven grade systems like the American one, so the brainiacs came up with a seven grade system matching the American one, but with random numbers: -3, 00, 02, 4, 7, 10, 12.

Von Mistelroum

If you buy a striker and want to play a false 9 formation then really you need to be sacked for incompetence.

The idea was clearly to play Hojlund in his favoured position, but Rashford was equal to playing with ten men all season, Garnacho is greedy and makes poor decisions, and Antony can only cut inside for a left footed shot.

None of our wingers are able to provide for the striker he bought, so playing a false 9 formation was a last resort when the three mentioned had proved all season that they couldn't do what was required. This is why Hojlund barely got a shot in 99% of matches and was feeding off scraps.

We had no other striker than Hojlund too, so when he needed a rest, the only option would be a different formation or, god help us, Rashford meandering around up front.

Next season we'll continue to be poor unless we can get at least one winger who is able to do their job, and probably a striker who can give Hojlund a rest every so often.

Pogue Mahone

Yeah it's the same grades used in the Danish school system. It's really weird. Basically we had a system with 10 grades that were pretty random (0, 03, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13) where the top grade was meant to be very rare and it didn't translate well to seven grade systems like the American one, so the brainiacs came up with a seven grade system matching the American one, but with random numbers: -3, 00, 02, 4, 7, 10, 12.
:lol: jaysus

Mike Smalling

I mean the new numbers obviously aren't entirely random. I'm pretty sure they were intended to roughly line up with the old system, so you could compare averages across old and new (at least in the sense of what's good, bad and average). But yeah, the system is pretty weird, but so are a lot of others. In the US they define a GPA based on letters - that has always confused me.

Maagge

I mean the new numbers obviously aren't entirely random. I'm pretty sure they were intended to roughly line up with the old system, so you could compare averages across old and new (at least in the sense of what's good, bad and average). But yeah, the system is pretty weird, but so are a lot of others. In the US they define a GPA based on letters - that has always confused me.
Yes that's kinda what they tried to do, but it doesn't really make sense. Like, as soon as you need to go "what was that on the old scale?" you might as well have decided that 1-7 or 0-6 was a bit easier to keep track of.

Mike Smalling

Yes that's kinda what they tried to do, but it doesn't really make sense. Like, as soon as you need to go "what was that on the old scale?" you might as well have decided that 1-7 or 0-6 was a bit easier to keep track of.
True, but they obviously wanted different distances between grades, so it impacts a GPA differently (for example, the gap from 7-10 is bigger than 10-12, obviously). But anyone who's been graded on the old scale is way beyond needing their grades for anything now, so the comparison problem is pretty much gone.

oz insomniac

So you buy a 6’4” striker, younger but comparable to Harland and then don’t give him the support needed . Anthony was not a provider , Garnacho is getting better in assists and Rashford does little apart from running into dead ends and occasionally shooting but does not work as a winger or even a support striker.

A manager with the right sort of idea would have seen the issue and certainly not have entertained Anthony, but as an Eredevise favourite, ETH and the idiot negotiator got it wrong. Hopefully there is a refreshing of the manager and some sensible signings and hopefully some decent outgoings. That’s the least we should expect at a club as big as Man Utd.

Roonaldo90

I love him. Very raw at the minute but has a great left foot, strong, great burst over 10 yards and I think we'll see him much better next season.