Question for the Hojlund haters and doubters

Alpha 1

Good goal today. I've generally been kinder to him than to Ten Hag and some of the other players because of his age and because he plays in a really poor team without any great service. I hope he does come good but there is quite abit of learning to do.

In addition, however, there was a short period this season where he was scoring and his hold up play was very good. Unfortunately, at that same time, he got injured and lost his form again.

15 goals is not nothing when you consider the lack of service. With better coaching and better wing play, I think he will easily be over 20. I think he will learn to better position himself in the box and be a better poacher. 20+ goals is very achievable next season.
When he signed, there were alot of posters on the caf who claimed 15 goals would be a successful season but factually, as THE striker at United, that number was always going to be deemed too low and attract criticism.

davidmichael

I said when he signed that if he scored 15 goals in his debut season that would equal a good return and tonight’s goal I think was his 15th, he’s had such piss poor service and at times doesn’t even recieve a pass so I think all in all it’s been a decent debut season if not spectacular and with better coaching and an actual genuine style of play it’s fair to expect 20 goals next season.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I think most promising transfers need to get a 2nd season to show progress. If he doesn't improve his movement and holdup play next season (hopefully with a veteran striker to compete with him) - then I'll get concerned.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't see what playing as a lone striker or with a partner has to do with basic ball control and shielding the ball from your defender. When/If Hojlund can do that more frequently then I'll have no issues
or in other words, you don't understand much about football

ROFLUTION

That service excuse just can't die. Every game we have a lot of crosses/low passes targeting penalty box. He isn't anywhere near of those. Are you saying that every cross or pass was shit? Our players try often through balls and Hojlund is nowhere these those? Again, are you saying that every through ball is shit?
How that service works anyway? He parks himself at one spot and Dalot or Garnacho must deliver the ball on his foot or head through 5 or 6 opposition players? Reminds me on Seinfeld's theory about magic spit which hits Kramer.

At this moment he is not even poor man's Lukaku and that same Lukaku was ridiculed among United fans.
I call bullshit on this one. Not much in delivery has changed since he had that stat of lowest deliveries for him earlier this year.

It’s easy to say “just get onto crosses more” but we clearly have a problem and it’s too easy to scapegoat a 21 year old Højlund.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
He's doing fine. 15 goals in his first season, in this team. Could well get 20-25 next season. Give him at least another season, or two, before writing him off.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He's doing fine. 15 goals in his first season, in this team. Could well get 20-25 next season. Give him at least another season, or two, before writing him off.
I think that people who defend Hojlund don't understand what those who criticize him want to say. It is not about will Hojlund become good PL striker (because he will).
It is about is he good enough to be no1 choice striker for a club which wants to challenge for PL title?
Personally, i don't think so. I am happy with having him as 2nd option but we need better no1 choice.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Expand on that then. I have been watching and playing for 30+ years, there is something to learn
Well for instance, in a recent game (Arsenal, I think) he had four men on him. Not sure how he is meant to control the ball, turn and get a shot away. There wasn't a single other United player in the box. All too often the ball isn't passed to him but fired at (or some close) to him. Compare the passes he gets to Beckham pinging it into Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Ole.

Plus, I've been watching football for over 50 years and played to a half-decent (ok quarter decent) standard and no player outside of the likes of Messi or Mbappe would do much better in this United side. Hojilund's goal against Newcastle shows what he can do given a half chance

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well for instance, in a recent game (Arsenal, I think) he had four men on him. Not sure how he is meant to control the ball, turn and get a shot away. There wasn't a single other United player in the box. All too often the ball isn't passed to him but fired at (or some close) to him. Compare the passes he gets to Beckham pinging it into Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Ole.

Plus, I've been watching football for over 50 years and played to a half-decent (ok quarter decent) standard and no player outside of the likes of Messi or Mbappe would do much better in this United side. Hojilund's goal against Newcastle shows what he can do given a half chance
Context is important there. He had 4 players around him because of non that good first touch (not bad but not good either).
Some strikers have that ability where they with first touch put themselves in position to shoot with second touch.

It is all about standards and expectations. I admit that my standards are too high many times but standards for Man Utd no1 striker should be much higher than they are for Hojlund at this moment.

Schmeichels pinky

I have been watching and playing for 30+ years, there is something to learn
I've been watching football for over 50 years and played to a half-decent (ok quarter decent) standard and no player outside of the likes of Messi or Mbappe would do much better in this United side. Hojilund's goal against Newcastle shows what he can do given a half chance
I’ve been watching football for 100+ years and play as senior striker. There haven’t been a single player worth watching since old George.

Schmeichels pinky

Context is important there. He had 4 players around him because of non that good first touch (not bad but not good either).
Some strikers have that ability where they with first touch put themselves in position to shoot with second touch.

It is all about standards and expectations. I admit that my standards are too high many times but standards for Man Utd no1 striker should be much higher than they are for Hojlund at this moment.
Seriously though, it’s true that his first touch isn’t at Kane’s level, but it’s not bad either and he’ll work on it - and no matter what it cannot explain more than two or three missed opportunities for him this season. His drive with the ball, tenacity, passing (remember that back heel and through balls for Garnacho and Bruno), finishing and most importantly strong mentality will bring him very far unless he gets injured - and I don’t even think we have to wait longer than next season to see improvements.
That said we obviously need another striker!

Mike Smalling

I think that people who defend Hojlund don't understand what those who criticize him want to say. It is not about will Hojlund become good PL striker (because he will).
It is about is he good enough to be no1 choice striker for a club which wants to challenge for PL title?
Personally, i don't think so. I am happy with having him as 2nd option but we need better no1 choice.
I think everyone would agree to that with where Højlund is as a player right now. It's more of a question whether he will become good enough for that a few year down the line.

But also, which one of our players are good enough in their positions to be first choice in a title challenging first XI? It probably stops with Bruno and Martinez, if we take injury records into account as well. So Højlund being below that level is really nothing out of the ordinary in this team.

I think it's pretty we need another player that can play centrally up front next season - otherwise we run Højlund into the ground. It will be interesting so see what we go for.

Cantonagotmehere

Big fan of the young man. Love his emotion/passion too. Would love for another 'decent' striker to come him and give him some competition and take the pressure off him being the only guy too.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Like I said, I'm always open to learn.
We have had months to see what he can work on and for me it's about his touch when facing the goal, passing at the right time and angles and movement inside the box.

He gets better at those and our attack as a whole becomes much better. Notice I haven't written him off. He has room for improvement and I believe under the right coaching he can do it. Saying he can work on some individual aspect of his game isn't writing him off IMHO

I’ve been watching football for 100+ years and play as senior striker. There haven’t been a single player worth watching since old George.
:lol:

Teja

I mean we're no where close to a title so if you think Hojlund's at atleast the level of a fit Calum Wilson or a Richarlison, that's good enough to get CL football and not a priority for upgrading. We can look beyond that once we've achieved it.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is going to be great in a good team. 16 goals in an absolutely shite United team is a great first season. It can’t be understated how shite we are and how little he has to work with.

Bobski

A very good cameo even before the excellent goal. Looked sharp with his movement and touch.

Not having to fight with CB's all game, sapping his energy might be a factor but these 2 sub appearances are the best he has looked as a footballer, ignore the goals, for weeks, very encouraging.

Will start next week you have to think, need the pace on the break as an option and City so leave a lot of space..

Someone

Something
Great return for someone his age playing in this horrific United side. Some of he best strikers were nowhere near this at 21, so we need to be patient.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We have a gem on our hands
Have to say I've been surprised at the amount of criticism he's received this season.

He's far from perfect and had poor showings, sure, but when you factor in how terrible the team as a whole have been this season, his goal return is very promising. Not only that but I actually think his general play is underrated. Some nice moments of leaving opposition players in his dust, keeping the ball in tight spaces, unselfish play, link-up play with teammates, etc.

TheReligion

Abusive
Have to say I've been surprised at the amount of criticism he's received this season.

He's far from perfect and had poor showings, sure, but when you factor in how terrible the team as a whole have been this season, his goal return is very promising. Not only that but I actually think his general play is underrated. Some nice moments of leaving opposition players in his dust, keeping the ball in tight spaces, unselfish play, link-up play with teammates, etc.
What do you think of our young players?

Garnacho
Mainoo
Amad
Hojlund
Kambwala

Aretak

I think he's just been a victim of the general negativity around the team and how poor most performances have been. To get 16 goals in all competitions in his debut season at 20/21, playing over 40 games and being asked to lead the line without any help is a fantastic return. He has flaws and a lot of room for improvement, but people who don't rate him at all are mental.

Yagami

Good post resistant
What do you think of our young players?

Garnacho
Mainoo
Amad
Hojlund
Kambwala
I don't really have an opinion on Kambwala yet.

As for the other four, I'm a big fan of them all. I'd probably rate Mainoo the highest right now. I'm not saying any of them will be world class but I think they all have the potential to contribute here long term to varying degrees.

Depending on our budget, I'd be fine letting them four start next season and using our budget to finally make our midfield a force to be reckoned with and strengthening our defence. Under a manager that implements a system that gets the best out of the team as a whole, I think they're only going to get better.

What do you think of them? Would you rate Kambwala as highly as the other four?

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't really have an opinion on Kambwala yet.

As for the other four, I'm a big fan of them all. I'd probably rate Mainoo the highest right now. I'm not saying any of them will be world class but I think they all have the potential to contribute here long term to varying degrees.

Depending on our budget, I'd be fine letting them four start next season and using our budget to finally make our midfield a force to be reckoned with and strengthening our defence. Under a manager that implements a system that gets the best out of the team as a whole, I think they're only going to get better.

What do you think of them? Would you rate Kambwala as highly as the other four?
I think we have a good core to work with and as such not as much doom and gloom as some. Missing Europe probably a blessing so we can trim the squad this summer.

I think Kambwala has done well enough to be one of the CB options however I wonder if he should go on loan to get minutes. It’s tricky given the injuries we’ve had this season. Also depends who we get in.

The U18s won the lot this season and I think we have some more good young players coming through. Murtough did some good work in the youth department (with others) before he was over promoted.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think we have a good core to work with and as such not as much doom and gloom as some. Missing Europe probably a blessing so we can trim the squad this summer.

I think Kambwala has done well enough to be one of the CB options however I wonder if he should go on loan to get minutes. It’s tricky given the injuries we’ve had this season. Also depends who we get in.

The U18s won the lot this season and I think we have some more good young players coming through. Murtough did some good work in the youth department (with others) before he was over promoted.
I usually watch a lot of our youth teams but, this season, I haven't had time to watch them at all. What a season to stop watching them! :lol:

Everything I hear is very promising, though. Like you, I'm not bothered about missing out on Europe next season. We can use the season to properly shape the squad for long term success rather than our previous short-sighted approach of trying to get instant success, which has done nothing but hinder us.

TheReligion

Abusive
I usually watch a lot of our youth teams but, this season, I haven't had time to watch them at all. What a season to stop watching them! :lol:

Everything I hear is very promising, though. Like you, I'm not bothered about missing out on Europe next season. We can use the season to properly shape the squad for long term success rather than our previous short-sighted approach of trying to get instant success, which has done nothing but hinder us.
And get your man in. Dan Neil.

Yagami

Good post resistant
And get your man in. Dan Neil.
Ha, do you have an opinion on him?

I think we need multiple midfielders and him as one makes so much sense. Has a lot of the attributes we're lacking and would probably be dirt cheap in terms of today's market and how much we usually spend.

I think he's just been a victim of the general negativity around the team and how poor most performances have been. To get 16 goals in all competitions in his debut season at 20/21, playing over 40 games and being asked to lead the line without any help is a fantastic return. He has flaws and a lot of room for improvement, but people who don't rate him at all are mental.
Yeah, I understand why some were getting frustrated, but the thing that really surprised me was how people had him down as a lower league level player. His general play became very underrated from what I saw.

Kung Fu Cantona7

I said when he signed that if he scored 15 goals in his debut season that would equal a good return and tonight’s goal I think was his 15th, he’s had such piss poor service and at times doesn’t even recieve a pass so I think all in all it’s been a decent debut season if not spectacular and with better coaching and an actual genuine style of play it’s fair to expect 20 goals next season.
I agree. He would have got 20+ goals this season if we had a better run in Europe.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
One of 3 good young untouchable players. So why are we spending so much energy discussing him?

The rest of the team is the interesting g bit as virtually everyone could be replaced (individually - obviously they can't all be changed at once).