Question Time inside a prison

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Freedoms are subjective to vary from place to place, rights such as voting on the other hand only a retard would oppose.
Sure, all free men have the right to vote.

Prisoners aren't free men.

A retard wouldn't understand the issue, mind your language in this forum.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
People will vote where their interest lies, noods. We agree on that much.

Part of the punishment for committing a crime is that restriction of freedoms that comes with incarceration. Perhaps not being able to vote will make some folks realize that they should follow society's rules and laws more carefully and make them more participatory or at least think before they act. It seems to me that removing such a right is actually the biggest punishment that can be doled out for those offenses and as such, makes perfect sense. Taking the choice of participation in democracy away effectively takes away the last vestige of freedom a person can have.
On the contrary, I think it's quite hypocritical to imprison a person based on them not abiding the laws of their democratic society, and at the same time forbid them from having any say in those laws or who governs them. In certain circumstance that'd actually be quite a dangerous practice.

Prisoners are removed of their freedom, but they still exist within the laws of society by virtue of the fact they're in prison serving a sentence, based on those laws. Based on that they should have a right to vote.

Dr. Dwayne

On the contrary, I think it's quite hypocritical to imprison a person based on them not abiding the laws of their democratic society, and at the same time forbid them from having any say in those laws or who governs them. In certain circumstance that'd actually be quite a dangerous practice.
It's quite a common practice from what I know.

Prisoners are removed of their freedom, but they still exist within the laws of society by virtue of the fact they're in prison serving a sentence, based on those laws. Based on that they should have a right to vote.
I don't believe that a majority of people would agree with that but then a lot of people have little to no sympathy for convicts. Of course it all depends on your nation's constitution or other like document but there certainly is a case for it as part of the rehabilitation process.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's quite a common practice from what I know.

There's loads of examples of things that are common practice, which aren't necessarily right, and an endless list of things which are continiously up for debate.

I don't believe that a majority of people would agree with that but then a lot of people have little to no sympathy for convicts. Of course it all depends on your nation's constitution or other like document but there certainly is a case for it as part of the rehabilitation process.

I don't think you need to have sympathy with them. It's merely about their democratic rights. The right to vote isn't going to make your time in prison any more or less pleasant.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
This would be interesting if the prisoners are political prisoners.

Presumably they'll just pick small time thieves and junkies.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Saying that, I'm trying to think of a political prisoner in the UK.

Dr. Dwayne

There's loads of examples of things that are common practice, which aren't necessarily right, and an endless list of things which are continiously up for debate.
In England, this seems to be one such thing, no?

Prisoners can vote in Canada, for some time now, too.

I don't think you need to have sympathy with them. It's merely about their democratic rights.
A lot of people believe you forfeit those rights when you commit a serious crime.

The right to vote isn't going to make your time in prison any more or less pleasant.
On the contrary, I think that removing that right makes you a non-entity in your society. I reckon that hurts, a lot.

Dr. Dwayne

Do prisoners lose all freedoms then?
I wouldn't know but it depends on the jurisdiction where you get locked up.

They lose a lot of them, that's for sure. Think about lockdown, cellblock searches, yard-hour, meal time. It's quite regimented. They're certainly not walking down to the corner store at 4pm on a Saturday.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
And the ones who do really should re-think this whole prison lark.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
In England, this seems to be one such thing, no?

Prisoners can vote in Canada, for some time now, too.

Apparently so, otherwise it wouldn't be on Question Time (which I never watch because other people's points of view infuriate me)

A lot of people believe you forfeit those rights when you commit a serious crime.
and a lot of don't think you should forfeit those rights. I don't have too strong a leaning either way but I can see more logic in the arguments allowing them to vote than the arguments not allowing them to.

On the contrary, I think that removing that right makes you a non-entity in your society. I reckon that hurts, a lot.
It might hurt some people, but it still wouldn't hurt nearly as much as being locked away from your own family, and forced to share a tiny room with some fat bloke called Biff, who sticks his cock up your arse every time you take a shower.

Don't Kill Bill

What you fail to see is that the law is not stationary, it is ever evolving. If someone is sent to prison for an offence that they don't think should be illegal, then it is crucial that they have a vote so this can be represented in parliament.

Should someone sent to prison for being gay have had their vote taken away? The law is not some infallible text, it is a human construct which needs the participation of society - all of it - to help define.
We don't send people to prison for being gay.

Yes, people should be sent to prison for breaking the law if that is the tariff unless you think it is OK to break all the laws you personally disagree with.

No, I haven't failed to see that laws get changed. I do believe that people who break the law have no right to set laws for others to obey when they refuse to do so themselves. That is not just and makes the law an ass. Furthermore I am not saying they can't ever vote again after release. Just during their incarceration.

We have had this argument before.

What the law needs is people to accept it and agree to abide by it even if you think it's wrong because we live in a democratic state and have the ability to influence/ change those laws we don't agree with.

So Mike. If there was a referendum on the age of consent do you think it would be a good idea to give convicted paedophiles votes from prison? You don't see the harm that campaigning for prisoner votes might do to the respect we show the process?

Don't Kill Bill

Apparently so, otherwise it wouldn't be on Question Time (which I never watch because other people's points of view infuriate me)

and a lot of don't think you should forfeit those rights. I don't have too strong a leaning either way but I can see more logic in the arguments allowing them to vote than the arguments not allowing them to.

It might hurt some people, but it still wouldn't hurt nearly as much as being locked away from your own family, and forced to share a tiny room with some fat bloke called Biff, who sticks his cock up your arse every time you take a shower.

The ironic thing here is that none of us are being given a vote on this are we? I would accept introducing voting rights for prisoners if it was introduced as policy of a party who got elected. Or even if I was in a minority against it and it was on a referendum.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We've currently got a government and their policies, which a majority of people didn't vote for or want. If we're going down that route lets get that slightly fundamental part of it sorted before applying it to specific areas.

Dr. Dwayne

We've currently got a government and their policies, which a majority of people didn't vote for or want. If we're going down that route lets get that slightly fundamental part of it sorted before applying it to specific areas.
That's a flaw of the parliamentary system, though, and first past the post electoral rules.

One could go as far as calling it democracy lite. We trust elected representatives to vote for us. Imagine a democracy where every potential bill/law was put to the people via a referendum.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
The law is not some infallible text, it is a human construct which needs the participation of society - all of it - to help define.
People are sent to prison to protect society and to prevent it from degenerating.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
You couldn't make it up, what if David Dimbleby is raped and murdered during the broadcast? which is almost inevitable.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That's a flaw of the parliamentary system, though, and first past the post electoral rules.

One could go as far as calling it democracy lite. We trust elected representatives to vote for us. Imagine a democracy where every potential bill/law was put to the people via a referendum.
Which is the point I was making.

It's not how our democracy works on any other circumstance, so why should that suddenly change in this instance?

Anyway, Brian's arrived so I'm leaving the thread before he says something outrageously right wing and winds me up.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
We don't send people to prison for being gay.
It has happened in the past. Laws can be wrong.

No, I haven't failed to see that laws get changed. I do believe that people who break the law have no right to set laws for others to obey when they refuse to do so themselves. That is not just and makes the law an ass. Furthermore I am not saying they can't ever vote again after release. Just during their incarceration.
Given that everyone lives under the law it is fair that everyone has a vote. If you say 'only those who obey the current law can vote' then that clearly biases against change. It's circular reasoning of the most basic kind and potentially dangerous for the state to exclude people from the democratic process.

What the law needs is people to accept it and agree to abide by it even if you think it's wrong because we live in a democratic state and have the ability to influence/ change those laws we don't agree with.
:lol: You don't have the ability to change those laws if you lose your vote. You're again arguing from a position that the law cannot be unfair when their are countless examples in history of the opposite being true. The whole civil liberties argument exists because it is dangerous for the state to have too much power, such as determining which people are unfit to vote.

So Mike. If there was a referendum on the age of consent do you think it would be a good idea to give convicted paedophiles votes from prison? You don't see the harm that campaigning for prisoner votes might do to the respect we show the process?
If society has got to the stage with an issue that is closely run such that it is put to a referendum then yes, clearly everyone should have a vote.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
People are sent to prison to protect society and to prevent it from degenerating.
You can think of no examples in history where people have been sent to prison for other reasons, such as political dominance or persecution?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
The article also fails to mention that the only reason they made this change was a HIV pandemic, HIV was being spread through drug users sharing needles etc. There is a limit on the amount of drugs people can have, cannabis for example I think it's about 9 plants that you can grow.

Also, they don't let people deal drugs. If you're caught dealing they throw the kitchen sink at you. The only thing they've decriminalised is drug use and the police don't waste their time on small time junkies.

I agree with you, they should be fully legalised and taxed to death like Alcohol and Tobacco.
The only thing that happened is that someone caught consuming (or in possession of consumer quantities, which vary from drug to drug but are nevertheless very small) won't be persecuted for it. You can't grow 9 plants of cannabis in Portugal, you can't even grow one, I don't know where you got that idea. The limit of possession for this drug is 10 individual doses, any more than that and you can go to jail for trafficking. I've heard of small time sellers in the possession of something like 100 euros of hash and that were convicted.

You're making Portugal look like a drugs paradise when it isn't. The only thing that happened is that now people like Heroin addicts are treated as sick people and not criminals, and I think that's a fair resolution that I'm surprised is no longer applied in other civilized countries. It's a public health measure above all.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
You can think of no examples in history where people have been sent to prison for other reasons, such as political dominance or persecution?
History isn't relevant to the matter of voting rights in contemporary Britain, prisoners don't have such rights now yet the ravens remain at the Tower.

Don't Kill Bill

It has happened in the past. Laws can be wrong.

Given that everyone lives under the law it is fair that everyone has a vote. If you say 'only those who obey the current law can vote' then that clearly biases against change. It's circular reasoning of the most basic kind and potentially dangerous for the state to exclude people from the democratic process.

:lol: You don't have the ability to change those laws if you lose your vote. You're again arguing from a position that the law cannot be unfair when their are countless examples in history of the opposite being true. The whole civil liberties argument exists because it is dangerous for the state to have too much power, such as determining which people are unfit to vote.

If society has got to the stage with an issue that is closely run such that it is put to a referendum then yes, clearly everyone should have a vote.
1. Of course laws can be wrong but giving people who are in prison for breaking them, the vote, doesn't strike me as a better way to make better laws. In fact if you want to set out to make really shit laws go with prisoner legislators. Let’s make the upper house prison work. That makes such sense I wonder why no one has thought to make our legal system based on the opinion of our criminals. Convicted criminals can't join the police or become judges. Is this a travesty of their human rights or common sense?

2. You have this really stupid misconception that bad laws get changed by people in prison voting and that somehow giving them the vote would stop bad legislation, history says otherwise since those laws were changed without prisoner emancipation. It is only when the rest of society believes a law to be incorrect that it is changed. If anything knowing prisoners are against a specific law would probably harden public opinion against changing it.

3. LoL as you might prisoner votes changed none of the things you seem to think they did. Civil liberties don't arrive because of the sense of fair play of, and empowerment being given to, criminals. On the whole criminals who are in prison are not there because of their civic responsibility and giving them the vote denigrates democracy.

4. I bet the people who become victims of those criminals who we lock up because of the serious nature of those crimes, would really feel the human struggle against injustice had been enhanced by those very same criminals getting an equal say/vote in elections. Think it through Mike you are not crusading against an injustice in this debate. You are compounding one.

To sum up and answer the points in bold.

Everyone lives under the law only if they obey it and are subject to it. Clearly someone who breaks the law chooses not to live under it and someone outside that jurisdiction shouldn't be changing the laws for others inside it. Criminals don't live within the law they are being punished for that fact. So what moral authority do they have to set laws for everyone else?

I think none.

Silva

The only thing that happened is that someone caught consuming (or in possession of consumer quantities, which vary from drug to drug but are nevertheless very small) won't be persecuted for it. You can't grow 9 plants of cannabis in Portugal, you can't even grow one, I don't know where you got that idea. The limit of possession for this drug is 10 individual doses, any more than that and you can go to jail for trafficking. I've heard of small time sellers in the possession of something like 100 euros of hash and that were convicted.

You're making Portugal look like a drugs paradise when it isn't. The only thing that happened is that now people like Heroin addicts are treated as sick people and not criminals, and I think that's a fair resolution that I'm surprised is no longer applied in other civilized countries. It's a public health measure above all.
A Portuguese friend told me, apparently he exaggerated :nervous:

Still my point remains, countries which have the tightest laws against drugs tend to fair the worse and those with more relaxed laws tend to fair better.