Question Time & This Week

alsabi

This week's QT is only 40 minutes - they had to stop recording when an audience member fell ill.

Adebesi

On that specific point about £350m for the NHS, I was discussing this with my missus last night.

Is there any justification for actually believing that promise other than being a moron?

That is my contention. If you took that pledge at face value - if you fully expected, in the event of a vote to leave, that the money would actually be delivered to the NHS - you have to be a moron. There is no other explanation.

My missus reckons its fair enough that reasonable, otherwise perfectly intelligent and/or capable people were taken in by it because "they dont care about politics" and therefore have no reason to doubt it.

Surely not though? I mean, as a Remainer Im as happy to use it as a stick to beat the Brexiters with as the next person. And I know Dominic Cummings thinks the pledge was significant, that without it Remain would have won. And maybe that's true. But even then, does that mean people actually, hand on heart believed it? Isnt it more like advertising when people know something isnt true but are influenced by it anyway? Like one of those pseudo-scientific adverts, you dont believe the stats they give you but you might well still end up buying it because its become familiar. I think people fell for the idea that we would have control of the money, surely nobody actually took it as a cast-iron promise of that money? Except the irretrievably stupid?

Apologies to anyone who saw that ad and took it at face value. Im sure Im wrong about you.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
On that specific point about £350m for the NHS, I was discussing this with my missus last night.

Is there any justification for actually believing that promise other than being a moron?

That is my contention. If you took that pledge at face value - if you fully expected, in the event of a vote to leave, that the money would actually be delivered to the NHS - you have to be a moron. There is no other explanation.

My missus reckons its fair enough that reasonable, otherwise perfectly intelligent and/or capable people were taken in by it because "they dont care about politics" and therefore have no reason to doubt it.

Surely not though? I mean, as a Remainer Im as happy to use it as a stick to beat the Brexiters with as the next person. And I know Dominic Cummings thinks the pledge was significant, that without it Remain would have won. And maybe that's true. But even then, does that mean people actually, hand on heart believed it? Isnt it more like advertising when people know something isnt true but are influenced by it anyway? Like one of those pseudo-scientific adverts, you dont believe the stats they give you but you might well still end up buying it because its become familiar. I think people fell for the idea that we would have control of the money, surely nobody actually took it as a cast-iron promise of that money? Except the irretrievably stupid?

Apologies to anyone who saw that ad and took it at face value. Im sure Im wrong about you.
I think it was the scale of the lies that threw people. Everyone is used to politicians exaggerating or lying, but there's usually some subtly to it. They might promise to do something and then 6 months later it hasn't been done and they start backsliding, but with the Brexit vote they were literally telling bare-faced lies and a few days after the vote just basically admitting it. That level of careless deception is something we really haven't seen before as far as I can see.

Member 5225

And yeah, Yanis Varoufakis is great. If he was leader of the Labour Party I would be more inclined to vote for it. I have more confidence in his economic analysis than Corbyn or McDonnell's.
Hmm really?! So great that his own country drove him out of office pretty swiftly? Seems a bit tedious tbh.

Sweet Square

And yeah, Yanis Varoufakis is great. If he was leader of the Labour Party I would be more inclined to vote for it. I have more confidence in his economic analysis than Corbyn or McDonnell's.
He literally backs Corbyn and Mcdonnell's plan.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Hmm really?! So great that his own country drove him out of office pretty swiftly? Seems a bit tedious tbh.
Did you even watch Question Time? Do you even know why he resigned as Greek finance minister?

I’m sorry to say this but over a number of posts you have come across as shallow and absolutely clueless. Maybe you shouldn’t get involved so you can save yourself from talking so much amplified shite from sources such as Westmonster :lol:

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy

You need to watch documentaries after Brexit to see that for a lot of people this swayed their decision.

There are desperate people out there, patients, their family, workers, etc. that rely on the NHS and this massive lie really played on their desperation. Desperate people would believe anything not because they are morons but because they look for any sort of hope.

Adebesi

You need to watch documentaries after Brexit to see that for a lot of people this swayed their decision.

There are desperate people out there, patients, their family, workers, etc. that rely on the NHS and this massive lie really played on their desperation. Desperate people would believe anything not because they are morons but because they look for any sort of hope.
Yeah that's what my missus said. I know you're right. I just find it hard to accept people actually fell for such an obvious lie.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Day after day you had Brexit leaders stood in front of that bus telling people you could vote to take back control. Most people aren't sad like us, they watch a single 30 min bulletin or hear a 6 min round up on the hour. They would see the bus and hear the soundbites, that's all, so yes they belived it

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Yeah that's what my missus said. I know you're right. I just find it hard to accept people actually fell for such an obvious lie.
They were taken advantage of because there’s just no accountability in a referendum like that. None of the claims made by leave would have to be upheld because it’s not like a political party or direct MP making the claims and then paying for it at the next election.

As soon as leave won and shit got real everyone just scrambled for the exit and panicly distanced themselves from every claim they made during the campaign.

Boris’ intentions were never to win as he was never a Eurosceptic, nor is he now. His intentions were to have a close enough race to lay the foundation for his premiership when Cameron eventually left.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
The Bacon looks like he’s fuming everytime that twat on the left of Dimbelby opens his mouth about Brexit.

I feel like that is my position every-time those Brexit cnuts are on the panel and no one pulls them up on their shite.

I would be like the person who got kicked out a few programmes ago if I ever was on the show.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
"I wish we'd stop talking about class," says the son of a former cabinet minister and life peer.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
That bloke speaking with the electrolarynx was a cool turn up. I was just waiting for *** bass to drop...

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Bloody love Robert Winston to be fair.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:lol: Perhaps it's because you don't hear them often but I found it really interesting.
I used to play Cricket against a lad who had had a tracheotomy and he had a bit of plastic covering a hole where his Adam's Apple was. It sometimes used to make this whistling noise as he ran up to bowl which was incredibly off putting. He told us after one game that he used to do something with it to get it just right to make that noise because he knew it put the batsmen off :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I used to play Cricket against a lad who had had a tracheotomy and he had a bit of plastic covering a hole where his Adam's Apple was. It sometimes used to make this whistling noise as he ran up to bowl which was incredibly off putting. He told us after one game that he used to do something with it to get it just right to make that noise because he knew it put the batsmen off :lol:
:lol: Whistling Death himself

montpelier

Barnsley - Right Wing on Brexit, Left Wing & anti-Tory on everything else

no wonder Labour are doing what they are doing...

Member 5225

A bloke in the audience had an electronic voicebox, it was cool and reminded me of a drum 'n' bass song. It's amazing how clear they make the voice considering what they have had removed.
As in something in his throat to make him literally sound like that? First I know of this!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Labour again being very fuzzy on single market membership/no single market membership.