g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Question Time & This Week

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Does that really matter? She's worked hard either way, and made a worthwhile point about the necessity of attending uni. There is a pressure put on young people to go, yet a fair number might be better suited to other qualifications/apprenticeships, or delaying higher education till they are older.
The uni point itself is fair, but the house point isn't necessarily that great without context as to where she's buying, how much support she's had etc.

Untied

Does that really matter? She's worked hard either way, and made a worthwhile point about the necessity of attending uni. There is a pressure put on young people to go, yet a fair number might be better suited to other qualifications/apprenticeships, or delaying higher education till they are older.
I… How… How do you know that?

Plus her point about the necessity of attending Uni was entirely self-centred. "I didn't go to uni and I managed to buy a house" isn't exactly solving the country's productivity crisis.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
She was being a dick. Trying to insinuate owning your own house relies purely on 5 years of hard work. At 16.

No, it more than likely required a huge financial boost from parents/family which most people don't have.

Of course you dont have to attend uni and many people don't and have successful careers. No one is disputing that.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I… How… How do you know that?
I don't...know, obviously. I am choosing to trust her though, not having any reason to do otherwise. What is your basis for doubting such?

Plus her point about the necessity of attending Uni was entirely self-centred. "I didn't go to uni and I managed to buy a house" isn't exactly solving the country's productivity crisis.
In the context of a British audience her measure of achievement is one which many others share. Nor does the existing culture surrounding university have skills and productivity at its heart; rather one of politics and simply getting students through the doors.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I don't...know, obviously. I am choosing to trust her though, not having any reason to do otherwise. What is your basis for doubting such?

In the context of a British audience her measure of achievement is one which many others share. Nor does the existing culture surrounding university have skills and productivity at its heart; it rather being a combination of politics and simply getting students through the doors.
A combination of housing market knowledge plus the average salary of 16-20 year olds?

Even if she lived rent free and didn't spend anything on her(him?)self in 4 years then that wouldn't be enough to fully pay off a house. So either that person got a lot of help to do so or has a very successful business at a young age which is very, very rare.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
A combination of housing market knowledge plus the average salary of 16-20 year olds?

Even if she lived rent free and didn't spend anything on her(him?)self in 4 years then that wouldn't be enough to fully pay off a house. So either that person got a lot of help to do so or has a very successful business at a young age which is very, very rare.
Yeah, quite possible she's done well for herself, but even then a ton of people who succeed have a lot of luck along the way as well. Not everyone's so fortunate.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Does any of this odd questioning of her character actually detract from the point she made?
Not the part about plenty of people who go to university not needing to, but the argument that she was able to pay off her own house by 21 is very dependent on circumstances/location etc.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
As Question Time appeared to have accidentally taken place in a venue that was double booked by a Britain First meeting, I'd be more disappointed if they'd agreed.
And the second week in succession I've called it wrong, because after that the audience weren't too bad.
Must learn not to speak too soon.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Audience laughing at Labour guy. That's bad. Indicates their prospects aren't as rosy as they think they are.
Of course, they weren't inside the 'Conference bubble', some reality crept in.
No doubt we will see the same sort of preaching to the converted at other Party Conferences, but maybe with less of the football chants!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
These Brexit debates are essentially an extended way of everyone saying they've not really got a clue.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Government took a battering on UC, no surprise there.

Labour and the Lib Dems came under an onslaught from the audience for being alleged Brexit saboteurs.

Untied

Government took a battering on UC, no surprise there.

Labour and the Lib Dems came under an onslaught from the audience for being alleged Brexit saboteurs.
Really just more proof that the electorate don't understand the issue.

It's like the financial crash all over again - where people assumed (or were persuaded) that a country's finances are just like their own. Now we have people treating the negotiation process like buying a second hand car, where if you walk away you haven't actually lost anything.

But there is no status quo to fall back to for the UK. Even the WTO will necessitate extracting our tariff quotas from the EU's, something which is already being disputed.

And of course most Brexiter's are so blinded by their distaste for the EU that when they see the negotiations going badly they assume it is the EU's fault, whereas of course it is the UK's fault for initiating the Article 50 countdown before it was in any way prepared, wasting time on an election, agreeing to the phasing of the talks and giving up all leverage it had in negotiations apart from the ability to pay a huge amount of money to the EU, something which is completely unpalatable to the Leave vote.

As such we are actually careening towards the utter madness of no-deal. We're not at 50/50 odds on that yet, but they are definitely shifting in that direction.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Already had an 'end of democracy as we know it' comment three minutes in due to O'Mara.:lol:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I can never quite work out JRM. He speaks beautifully, chooses his words so carefully so as not to offend and a lot of what he says makes perfect sense and he would probably make a marvelous PM in terms of his statesmanship, he even tells good jokes and doesn't mind making fun of himself.

But, Brexshit :mad:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I can never quite work out JRM. He speaks beautifully, chooses his words so carefully so as not to offend and a lot of what he says makes perfect sense and he would probably make a marvelous PM in terms of his statesmanship, he even tells good jokes and doesn't mind making fun of himself.

He's ridiculously conservative and has a lot of strange views, but he at least doesn't shy away from them. Would be a crap PM though.

Sigma

He's ridiculously conservative and has a lot of strange views, but he at least doesn't shy away from them. Would be a crap PM though.
To be fair, for once, he's said quite a few things I've agreed with this time.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan

It's amazing how far being well spoken and posh will take you.

The guys a complete crackpot on a tonne of issues. And that's just the thing's he's actualy open about, the fact he gave a speech to the Traditional BRitain Group despite being warned about them would hint that his actual views may be far more insidious.

Last edited:

Dobba

Apart from that whole rape thing. Or making an after dinner speech for a group who, amongst other things, advocates the repatriation of "non-indigenous" Britons.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Poor Dimbleby, ran out of time again before 'NHS Airbnb' or Universal Credit could come up. He has the worst luck when it comes to time-keeping.
Not so much current affairs as selective current affairs ain't it?

If deliberate, and it seems that way, it's going to be counter-productive in the long run.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Not so much current affairs as selective current affairs ain't it?

If deliberate, and it seems that way, it's going to be counter-productive in the long run.
Always been the way, right enough, considering the extent to which Brexit is discussed on the show. Granted it's topical and relevant, but it's pretty much constantly dominated the show since last year, often getting top billing and usually coming up in some form or another.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
Always enjoy watching him, he'll probably have a run at the Tory Leadership, once Theresa's fallen on her sword.