Rabbis give herpes to babies

Neutral

BTV
Two more babies stricken with herpes after ritual ultra-orthodox Jewish oral blood sucking circumcision in New York City

Since 2000 13 known cases of herpes have been contracted from the religious practice

Two deaths and two babies suffering brain damage have resulted
Department of health warns there being no safe way to perform the ritual that dates back more than 5,000 years

Two more infants have been infected with a deadly herpes virus in the last three months after undergoing a controversial religious oral circumcision in New York City.

The latest cases bring the count to 13 infants since 2000, two of which suffered brain damage and two died from the virus which can rapidly spread throughout its body.

The ultra-Orthodox Jewish practice of metzitzah b'peh requires a practitioner to orally suck the baby's penis to 'cleanse' the open wound following its circumcision, making them susceptible to the virus

The department of health says one of the latest infants to contract the virus developed a fever and a lesion on its scrotum, seven days after the procedure. The boy later tested positive for HSV-1. That virus differs from HSV-2, the genital herpes, which is contracted during sexual intercourse.

'A herpes infection in a newborn baby has the risk of leading to severe illness and death,' Jay Varma, deputy commissioner for disease control at the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene told ABC News.

'The reason is that the baby doesn't have the same fully developed immune system as an adult. Instead of staying in the genital area, it extends throughout different organs in the body,' he explained.

He said it's too soon to tell whether the boys will suffer permanent effects.

The identify of the rabbi who performed the circumcision is being withheld by the boys' parents, preventing the health department to step in, they said.

The religious practice that dates back to more than 5,000 years defies warning by the city's department of health which says there is no safe way to perform the oral suction on an open wound.

More modern Jewish practices use a sterile aspiration device to clean the wound or a pipette opposed to the oral sucking.

But some rabbis stand grounded behind the practice, calling it a religious freedom while noting its long history.

In September the department voted to require parents to sign forms consenting to the risks of the practice after the death of two children who contracted the virus through the practice.

The parents of those newly infected boys are said to have not signed those forms.

According to Rabbi David Zwiebel, executive vice president of the Orthodox Jewish organization Agudath Israel of America, two-thirds of boys born in New York City's Hasidic communities are circumcised in the oral suction matter.

The health department claims they've had complaints in past by parents who say they weren't made aware that the oral practice would be performed on their child.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...blood-sucking-circumcision-New-York-City.html

I'm Muslim - so we have our share of 'strange' practices, but why would the parents not identify the rabbis? The numbers aren't huge, but still these guys are a health risk!

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Erm, not one to usually delve into the debate about non Christian religions and their practices because I know less then nothing, but this sounds totally sick. So basically they circumcise the baby (why in the first place) and then they suck the babies penis to remove the blood?????? Surely this has to break all sorts of laws?????

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yeah, ok, religious freedom and all that but there comes a point when because my imaginary friend told me to is not an acceptable defence.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
Madness. Absolute madness. The ultra-orthodox are a closed community and rarely report incidents like the above or crimes, including child abuse, to the authorities.

Irwinwastheking

Madness. Absolute madness. The ultra-orthodox are a closed community and rarely report incidents like the above or crimes, including child abuse, to the authorities.
Phew, thank God that it wasn't just me that thought this was fecking insane. Surely this couldn't be very common.

Irwinwastheking

Also, there must be a case for some level of unlawful death case to be brought too. 13 kids since 2000 so that's one a year dying at the hands of these weirdo's.

holyland red

Phew, thank God that it wasn't just me that thought this was fecking insane. Surely this couldn't be very common.
I was going to say this "traditional" circumcision practice couldn't be popular among modern Jews, but then I think the whole circumcision business is barbaric while the vast majority of all Jews circumcise their 8-day old boys.

I would still guess this suction business is limited to ultra-orthodox communities. Many of the people I know had their kids circumcised by surgeons.

Irwinwastheking

Would the anti-circumcision view be widely held? Also, what's the deal from a religious standpoint if you choose not to circumcise a child. Can they be accepted into the church? E.g. is it a prerequisite of being a Jew as I always assumed it was.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Sucky a babies penis is required as part of the ritual. That just sounds messed up. Take the religious side out of it and they would be going to jail for that. Really there is respecting people's beliefs and then letting them get away with things society all agree shouldn't happen, just because an old book or history says it is ok. This sort of thing should be cut out.

DFreshKing

Just when you think you have heard it all in regards to human strangeness.

This has to be right up there.

What on earth is the religious significance of this?

I am not even going to contemplate googling that!

Count Orduck

It's not sexual abuse because there's nothing sexual about it... it's just "abuse".

holyland red

Would the anti-circumcision view be widely held? Also, what's the deal from a religious standpoint if you choose not to circumcise a child. Can they be accepted into the church? E.g. is it a prerequisite of being a Jew as I always assumed it was.
Anti-circumcision sentiments are growing (no pun intended), but still most people follow the tradition. We chose not to circumcise our kids and they shouldn't have any issues from a religious standpoint. There is no record of those who did or didn't follow the practice.

holyland red

Yes it could but, there are medical reasons why this should be done in some cases, just doing it for religious reason is not right.
Sucking a babies penis for religious reason is just wrong, very wrong.
There is never a medical need to circumcise a kid at the age of 8 days. Such a need may arise later, and obviously should ne addressed by professional health experts rather than the religious administration.

holyland red

Sucky a babies penis is required as part of the ritual. That just sounds messed up. Take the religious side out of it and they would be going to jail for that. Really there is respecting people's beliefs and then letting them get away with things society all agree shouldn't happen, just because an old book or history says it is ok.
That's not true, though. It's sucking the blood, hence the straw/pipette alternative. It's sick enough without letting one's imagination go to overdrive.

This sort of thing should be cut out.
That's exactly what the old book says. ;)

Member 39557

Sometimes doing things for tradition's sake just isn't enough of an excuse anymore. I think this practice of penis sucking is one of them, considering the much safer alternative circumcision practices that are available!

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Pffft catholic priests have been giving us STD's for decades, never did us any harm.

Irwinwastheking

Ssshh pops. We were almost at the end of a page involving sexual abuse and religious practitioners without mentioning priests.

Would have been a new record.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Arent there female rabbis these days?

So lets hold our horses, if there was some attractive ones I might convert.

Eyepopper

I can actually understand where the practise comes from, isn't spit sterile? Isn't that why dogs and stuff lick their wounds to clean them..... presumably this started thousands of years ago when access to clean water would have been limited so sucking it was probably the easiest way to make sure it was clean.

As for still doing that today.... well, yeah...... thats a bit dodgey alright.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Someone showed me a video of the actual practice the other day. Horrific.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I can actually understand where the practise comes from, isn't spit sterile? Isn't that why dogs and stuff lick their wounds to clean them..... presumably this started thousands of years ago when access to clean water would have been limited so sucking it was probably the easiest way to make sure it was clean.

As for still doing that today.... well, yeah...... thats a bit dodgey alright.
Saliva isn't sterile, the oral cavity is filled with micro-organisms, it's a great environment for them. Saliva helps balance it with some anti-microbial agents, that act upon some types of bacteria, but nowhere near enough to make it a sterile thing. Anyway herpes is a virus, and a very resistant one.

Dogs lick their wounds mainly because their saliva has substances that promote faster regeneration and scaring, on top of the "cleaning".

Eyepopper

Wait they're giving the rabbits herpes?

Ok well that's just going too far.