Race for top 4 | Finito.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Everyone really thinks all these teams below us are going to win every game :lol::houllier:
It going to be a mad April. Virtually every team in the PL has something to play for bar Villa. No easy fixtures with teams dreaming of the beach till May IMO.

DownRiver

People try to downplay the worry of other teams catching up, and mention how other teams will drop points.

However, you need to understand we are still in three competitions and without our best player for four games (three in the PL). We only need to lose two to swing this to us being out of top 4.

We have also been playing sub-par football for a while now because the team is really tired. The international break will not help as most of the team will be playing for their national teams.

Yes, we have a advantage in points, but the teams chasing us have an advantage of less games, fresh legs and lack of absences to their key men.

This isn’t the time to be dismissive.

We also have the worst GD in the top 6. This doesn’t give much confidence.

We just need to be laser focused.

croadyman

People try to downplay the worry of other teams catching up, and mention how other teams will drop points.

However, you need to understand we are still in three competitions and without our best player for four games (three in the PL). We only need to lose two to swing this to us being out of top 4.

We have also been playing sub-par football for a while now because the team is really tired. The international break will not help as most of the team will be playing for their national teams.

Yes, we have a advantage in points, but the tens chasing us have an advantage of less games, fresh legs and lack of absences to their key men.

This isn’t the time to be dismissive.

We also have the worst GD in the top 6. This doesn’t give much confidence.
Yeah not ideal to head into break from Premier League for 3 weeks with 0-0 draw

Ludens the Red

We’ve been dragged back into this race annoyingly.
3 wins from 8 league games and in the same time Spurs who are apparently the worse team in the world have managed 5 wins in that period.
They rarely miss a trick when it comes to beating the shit, especially at home. Meanwhile we’ve failed to beat the bottom two at home in recent weeks.

Spurs I would say have the best fixtures on paper. Liverpool the hardest.
I think that 7-0 win might have got them thinking they’re far better than they are and that Bournemouth result makes it hard work for them from here.
Hopefully Chelsea and City finish them off after the international break.

Ours is slightly harder than Newcastle with us still needing to go to Newcastle, Spurs and Brighton.

Still think we’ll have enough but if we lose to either Newcastle or Brentford in the double, then we’ll be in some bother.

Us and Spurs favs just at this minute…

The Dane

The only team I really fear to suddenly have a winning streak is Liverpool, and that is mostly because I can’t really convince my self that they are as bad as their results this season suggests. I do however think that after the next 3 games we will be minimum 10 points clear of them with 9 games to go, and that should be enough.
I know that Spurs, Newcastle and Brighton are closer, but none of them are consistent enough to put a run together.
I think we all are a little bit afraid of being too optimistic after what we have had to put up with since SAF retired, but what I have seen this season is significantly better than anything post SAF, and the fact that we can play as well as we do, with a Sancho out of form, a Martial constantly injured, Eriksen out, Antony not exactly over performing, and a Weghorst among the starting eleven, tells me that ETH have them working well as a team, and they are willing to fight when necessary and that I think will be enough to carry us through.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I think we will lose to Newcastle which will cause a serious amount of hysteria in this very thread, but then win a few on the bounce after that and be comfortably third going into the run in.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
We are barely scoring goals as it is. There's 5 team with more goals scored in the league - we have a similar amount as Brentford.
Rashford's form is looking to be on a downward spiral, Weighorst can't score to save his life... Who's left?
We can very easily feck up this top 4 run. If Newcastle win there's only 2 points separating us.

Dannn411

A draw with ten men for over an hour - good point.
Whether its a "good point" or a bad point, its still just one point and it came in what is on paper our easiest game left this season and draws Newcastle and Tottenham two points closer when we still have to go and play them both on their grounds.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Whether its a "good point" or a bad point, its still just one point and it came in what is on paper our easiest game left this season and draws Newcastle and Tottenham two points closer when we still have to go and play them both on their grounds.
Just an incredibly negative way of looking at it. Crack on.

Sviken

What are we supposed to do exactly when the game got ruined almost at the very beginning?

MegadrivePerson

Top four is comfortably in the bag.

Look at the remaining fixtures. Spurs have still got to play Liverpool and Newcastle so they will take plenty of points off each other.

It will be United 3rd Newcastle 4th Spurs 5th and Liverpool 6th.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A draw with ten men for over an hour - good point.
Agreed. Some days stuff goes wrong. It could easily have got worse with Ward Prowse channelling his inner Beckham today.
But when you bring a young winger on and he has to go off with a knock not too long after, you can tell it's not your day.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Top four is comfortably in the bag.

Look at the remaining fixtures. Spurs have still got to play Liverpool and Newcastle so they will take plenty of points off each other.

It will be United 3rd Newcastle 4th Spurs 5th and Liverpool 6th.
It's certainly not comfortable, but it's without any doubt in our hands to come 3rd from here.

croadyman

Honestly I would take point at Newcastle in 3 weeks just to keep hold of lead for now

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It really isn’t that surprising. Only bedwetters are panicking about this right now.
It's well in our hands at the moment.
If we drop a few more points though, and then late April face Tottenham A, Chelsea H back to back, needing say 4-6 points it could get real very quickly.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Why do those that think we're already guaranteed top 4 even bother posting in this thread? Should be at the bookies putting their house on it instead.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Why do those that think we're already guaranteed top 4 even bother posting in this thread? Should be at the bookies putting their house on it instead.
No-one is saying it's guaranteed 'literally'. And you know that.

croadyman

It's well in our hands at the moment.
If we drop a few more points though, and then late April face Tottenham A, Chelsea H back to back, needing say 4-6 points it could get real very quickly.
Chelsea will be pushed back to May IF we get through next Sunday,Fulham certainly won't be as poor as today that's for sure

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Trying to spread some decent mentality into fans who are scared of Spurs and Newcastle.

croadyman

Trying to spread some decent mentality into fans who are scared of Spurs and Newcastle.
Will feel very different IF we can get out of St James's with draw,then need to beat Brentford and Everton at home

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Chelsea will be pushed back to May IF we get through next Sunday,Fulham certainly won't be as poor as today that's for sure
That's good, split those 2 games up a bit.

But yes, we'll have to be a lot better at the weekend. Ten Hag will have to get his line-up right on Thursday. It'd be unthinkable not to at least start Maguire & Lindelof.
If he doesn't trust them for a fixture 3 goals up, it really will speak volumes.

croadyman

That's good, split those 2 games up a bit.

But yes, we'll have to be a lot better at the weekend. Ten Hag will have to get his line-up right on Thursday. It'd be unthinkable not to at least start Maguire & Lindelof.
If he doesn't trust them for a fixture 3 goals up, it really will speak volumes.
Said in the post match thread other night that IF we had won 6-1 he would make more changes

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Said in the post match thread other night that IF we had won 6-1 he would make more changes
There were definitely more goals there. But never mind, it's where it is, and at 1-1 we'd all have been delighted at the outcome.
Sabitzer could do with being fit to make up for Casemiro's upcoming absence in the league.
We cannot risk a Bruno and one of McFred double up!

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
We are still in a very good position and our 3 pursuers are definitely going to drop points somewhere but those games against Leeds without Casemiro were so rough. Newcastle, Brentford and Everton are going to be tough to beat with a McFred double pivot..

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a transfer window as much as this summer.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Ooh stuff just got real didn’t it? I was too focused on dreaming of catching the leaders and suddenly we’re in a race for top 4, which was looking fairly comfortable. Newcastle and Spurs have made up good ground. Bit squeaky bum now, especially without Case for the next 4

always_hoping

Matches played in all competitions so far this season

Man United 44
Tottenham 39
Newcastle 33
Liverpool 38

Liverpool,Tottenham,Newcastle out of the cup competitions and can have full focus on top 4. Man United still involved in the FA cup and Europa League.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I know posters have already reassured me that top 4 is done and dusted and you get mocked as a bet wetter for questioning it but I still don’t think it’s cut and dried already. We’ve got more games than anyone else, injuries racking up, suspensions, lack of goals, just 12 points from our last 8 matches from what I can see.

it’s going to be a tough end to the season, hope we’ve got it in us to get back on a run and bag some early points before may.

BluesJr

Ooh stuff just got real didn’t it? I was too focused on dreaming of catching the leaders and suddenly we’re in a race for top 4, which was looking fairly comfortable. Newcastle and Spurs have made up good ground. Bit squeaky bum now, especially without Case for the next 4
In the last 6 games how many points have Spurs and Newcastle gained on us? They haven’t gained ground in any way. Spurs have by 1 point.

BluesJr

I know posters have already reassured me that top 4 is done and dusted and you get mocked as a bet wetter for questioning it but I still don’t think it’s cut and dried already. We’ve got more games than anyone else, injuries racking up, suspensions, lack of goals, just 12 points from our last 8 matches from what I can see.

it’s going to be a tough end to the season, hope we’ve got it in us to get back on a run and bag some early points before may.

I’m not sure that form guide supports your point in any way really. We’ve been pretty poor in the last 8 as that shows and yet we’ve only lost out to Spurs by 3 points? Hardly anything to be scared of.

lsd

The Oracle
Did Spurs get extra points for losing this season? I know they won yesterday but they seem to have moved up the table the past few weeks despite mostly losing