Race for top 4 | Finito.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
To the people worried about us missing out, who on earth is going to pip us?
Brighton lost to relegation fodder last night, Liverpool have just about won their last few games against teams around the dropzone and Villa/Tottenham aren't good enough.
We'll be absolutely fine.
Liverpool have four of their last six games at home, and the two away games are against sides in the bottom three currently, with a doomed Southampton on the final day - they really couldn't have picked a better run-in.

We have to do our job and to get to 72.

BorisManUtd

If we do finish 4th, it'll be our first finish in that position since 2015. All top 4 finishes since than have been above that - 2nd in 2018, 3rd in 2020, 2nd in 2021. And we only finished 4th once (2015) since 1986. Not exactly important stat but found it interesting.

JustinC00

Liverpool have four of their last six games at home, and the two away games are against sides in the bottom three currently
3 of our 4 last matches are at home and the 1 away match is against Bournemouth who we beat 3-0 last time with Van de Beek at #10 and a Maguire & Lindelof at CB

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
We are favourites to get top 4 right now, but 5 points minimum needed from the next 3 games. 6 or 7 points and I think it's pretty much done.

The Purley King

3 points tonight would have gone a long long way.
So irritating we pretty much conceded the second half because apparently we don’t have to try when we are 2-0 up.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
3 of our 4 last matches are at home and the 1 away match is against Bournemouth who we beat 3-0 last time with Van de Beek at #10 and a Maguire & Lindelof at CB
Like I said: we need to do our job - expecting Liverpool to drop points with that run-in is very optimistic so we need to take it out of their hands by doing our job, not expecting them to gift it to us.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Liverpool have four of their last six games at home, and the two away games are against sides in the bottom three currently, with a doomed Southampton on the final day - they really couldn't have picked a better run-in.

That Liverpool talk reminds me of when people were super concerned about City beating us to the title in Fergie’s final season. We were like 20 points ahead of them with 10 games to go yet half of Cafe had them as rivals.

We need to grab 12 out of remaining 21 points to be out of sight for them even if they win out, which they very likely won’t. They won’t catch us.

Sarni

Like I said: we need to do our job - expecting Liverpool to drop points with that run-in is very optimistic so we need to take it out of their hands by doing our job, not expecting them to gift it to us.
Yeah Liverpool are amazingly wonderful and it’s virtually impossible they will drop any points in their remaining 6 games. Maybe if they had been struggling for wins in their last several games there would be a small chance of them dropping a single point but because they have been winning comfortably for months, they will definitely not drop another point.

Irwin99

4 wins needed from 7 games is a very nice position to be in. A win against Villa at the weekend and prospects will look very good.

Infra-red

I think we will squeak in and finish 4th, but people need to prepare themselves mentally for it to get a lot closer. I expect Liverpool will be 2 points behind us by the time we kick off away at Brighton next Thursday.

Woziak

We had 3 wins, 2 draws, and 2 defeats in our last 7 games. That's 11 points.

If we do the same in the next 7, Liverpool need to win all their games. Which I still expect they will, unfortunately. We could really do with them fecking up somewhere.
I see ius being quite difficult to beat again we should get 4 wins 1 draws and maybe 2 defeats that’s enough. ETH will target all 4 home games and may come unstuck in 1 probably Villa or Chelsea finally turn up but we should win 3 of our 4 home games and we should win 1 and draw 1 of our 3 away games. On our best day we could eve. Turn over Brighton if we start finding a more ruthless edge.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
That Liverpool talk reminds me of when people were super concerned about City beating us to the title in Fergie’s final season. We were like 20 points ahead of them with 10 games to go yet half of Cafe had them as rivals.
People also said City wouldn't win their last 8 fixtures (or whatever it was) in 2012 to beat us to the title once we started slipping; lets not pretend it's beyond Liverpool to get max points from here with that list of games, especially with the way referees are with them.

We simply have to do our job and get past 71 points - which I think we will.

Witchking

Too many times, when it's time to prove your mettle, united have shrunk like a limp dick.

Fecking prima donnas surely think that they are god's gift to the club and fans after going a goal or two up where they just stop playing and allow a team like Spurs to catch their breath and make a come back.

See how Liverpool slaughter them next game.

You can't write off Liverpool only because United could still be caught. If it was any other team with Newcastle and Liverpool were in the same position, I would not think Liverpool will get top 4.

The scars that this club has left on me in the past 3-4 years I am unable to trust this team to get the job done.

The people who say but but but Liverpool cannot possibly win all their games, we only need to reach 72 points etc etc, a loss against Villa will start the tumble with West Ham coming next.

Then it's squeaky bum time for you all. I am already right in the middle of it.

Needed Martinez to make me feel more confident. He's been the guy for this club this season. Absolute Rock solid.

Dan_F

Too many times, when it's time to prove your mettle, united have shrunk like a limp dick.

Fecking prima donnas surely think that they are god's gift to the club and fans after going a goal or two up where they just stop playing and allow a team like Spurs to catch their breath and make a come back.

See how Liverpool slaughter them next game.

You can't write off Liverpool only because United could still be caught. If it was any other team with Newcastle and Liverpool were in the same position, I would not think Liverpool will get top 4.

The scars that this club has left on me in the past 3-4 years I am unable to trust this team to get the job done.

The people who say but but but Liverpool cannot possibly win all their games, we only need to reach 72 points etc etc, a loss against Villa will start the tumble with West Ham coming next.

Then it's squeaky bum time for you all. I am already right in the middle of it.

Needed Martinez to make me feel more confident. He's been the guy for this club this season. Absolute Rock solid.
fecking hell. How do you cope in general in life? Are you actually worried about it?

Liverpool are barely getting past the likes of Forrest and West Ham. Granted they scored six against Leeds, but that’s the anomaly.

If we win our game in hand, they’ll have to win 4 games in a row to even get to the same total we have currently. We have seven games left to play :lol:

el3mel

Liverpool fecked up their chance imo after the 7-0 game. They had momentum back then but lost many points after it. Way too late for them.

Top 4 isn't going to change.

HarryP

To every one of you getting paranoid about the top4 spot: if this team is fragile enough to 'bottle' it from this position, why stress about missing out on the CL?
As someone mentioned already, do you really want us to drop out of the group stage or best case scenario scrape through and get spanked by any of the European elites in the Knockouts?
I wouldn't be worried about whether we could compete in the CL next season (although I think we will), it's the commercial revenue which is the bigger issue for me. There's a clause with some of our main sponsors that our money gets cut something like 20% if we miss out on the CL for two seasons in a row. It would be a massive blow to revenue and FFP headroom.

I don't see us missing out though.

gajender

I am fairly confident that Liverpool would drop points in atleast 2 of their remaining games even If we stutter I believe We should be fine .

Just out of curiosity have we actually in all our recent top 4 fights forced out of top 4 if we were in it late in the season do we have any prior for this I can't seem to remember.

Infra-red

I wouldn't be worried about whether we could compete in the CL next season (although I think we will), it's the commercial revenue which is the bigger issue for me. There's a clause with some of our main sponsors that our money gets cut something like 20% if we miss out on the CL for two seasons in a row. It would be a massive blow to revenue and FFP headroom.

I don't see us missing out though.
It's 30%. United have never missed CL qualification in two consecutive seasons before. It would be a new low in the post-SAF period. I don't think it will happen though, because I believe we will limp over the line in 4th.

Edwards6

Not worried about Liverpool catching us, even if they somehow win all there remaining games we only have to win 4 out of 7

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Interestingly from those home games last season you lost to us and Wolves 1-0 and drew 1-1 with Chelsea so have to do significantly better than last time as Liverpool have a far more straightforward run in and could well get high 60s now (and better GD).

Fulham at home on final day should be straightforward....however they're still smarting from the cup tie and Mitrovic ban will be over so I think they'll be a little bit more motivated on final day than many mid table teams would be.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
This isn't really a race. Utd will get fourth in underwhelming fashion.

kthanksbye

Need 10 points from the remaining 21 to seal top 4. It's not going to be beautiful but we'll make it.
Edit - 12 if we're also looking at Liverpool. 14 if we're looking at Brighton too.

FerociousCorgis

Because if you can offer Champions League football to potential recruits, you can attract a higher calibre of player to replace the bottlers we have.
Exactly. Such an easy basic answer that anyone should easily be able to understand ha

sepulturite

Need 10 points from the remaining 21 to seal top 4. It's not going to be beautiful but we'll make it.
Edit - 12 if we're also looking at Liverpool. 14 if we're looking at Brighton too.
We need 12 to guarantee it, Liverpool can get to 71 points. But I think they'll drop points themselves anyway so it won't matter much. 3rd and 4th will stay as it is I reckon.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Interestingly from those home games last season you lost to us and Wolves 1-0 and drew 1-1 with Chelsea so have to do significantly better than last time as Liverpool have a far more straightforward run in and could well get high 60s now (and better GD).

Fulham at home on final day should be straightforward....however they're still smarting from the cup tie and Mitrovic ban will be over so I think they'll be a little bit more motivated on final day than many mid table teams would be.
Comparing anything to last season is irrelevant. United was what Chelsea is now. Gave up on the season and would lose to anybody.

croadyman

We need 12 to guarantee it, Liverpool can get to 71 points. But I think they'll drop points themselves anyway so it won't matter much. 3rd and 4th will stay as it is I reckon.
Yeah our form is so utterly diabolical away from home that just can't see us finishing 3rd

Siorac

It's almost as if in the previous season we had lost the league in highly traumatic circumstances to the very same team.

fen4e

Because if you can offer Champions League football to potential recruits, you can attract a higher calibre of player to replace the bottlers we have.
We've been participating in almost every CL over the last years and look at where we are in terms of recruitment.

You can still improve your squad without being in the CL. I, for one, could do without Di Marias and Falcaos and instead look for potential stars hungry for success.

Sarni

It's almost as if in the previous season we had lost the league in highly traumatic circumstances to the very same team.
Which made it totally realistic that we would suddenly lose literally all of our final 9-10 games of season, I guess. Dropping 8-point gap with an away game to your rival is almost identical to dropping a 20+ point advantage.

erikcred

This is exactly why I'm not worried. Their record against teams in the bottom 3 this season is terrible. They even lost to them right after they beat City and us at home. No reason to believe this is going to change.

erikcred

Which made it totally realistic that we would suddenly lose literally all of our final 9-10 games of season, I guess. Dropping 8-point gap with an away game to your rival is almost identical to dropping a 20+ point advantage.
He did say "traumatic" in his post. Dropping that 8-point gap was very improbable and none of us really thought that would happen, but it did. So I can understand people being paranoid the next year.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is exactly why I'm not worried. Their record against teams in the bottom 3 this season is terrible. They even lost to them right after they beat City and us at home. No reason to believe this is going to change.
They've won their last 2 away games vs struggling teams.

They look in much better form currently, also Southampton will be down by the time they play them.

I give Leicester a small chance, and Villa in the game at Anfield (as I give them a chance on Sunday to take some points from us)

AneRu

We had a chance to close this race but we messed it up big time, what this second half, and that disgrace against Sevilla at OT, has shown is that this team is running on fumes, it's burnt out and doesn't have the energy to put up a fight. The moment things start to go wrong we don't have enough to claw back, Sunday against Villa looks scary as hell.