Racism incident in PSG v Istanbul match

UmbroDays

After people in this forum said there was racial equality and taking the knee isn’t required anymore, this is an example of why we need racial awareness so much in our game.

Horrible. Props to BA. I would have smacked that fool

Onerealunited

No to RACISM!

It hurts even more when it’s from an official! They are the one that should usually stop it from happening.

Big respect to PSG and Basaksehir to leave the game and show the world and the official that racism have consequences!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wonder how many pages before someone defends the official?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This is really sad if its ended the match and something racist was said.

It's made me not even care that much about the United result.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Anyone know what country the officials were from?

Shocking behaviour. What an idiot. He'll never officiate again now.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Black in Romanian is negru, not a clue how its pronounced.

It seems the ref was identifying the assistant coach and described him as such.

Could be misunderstanding bc if he called him n-word his career is over.
Even if that is the case, he shouldn't be referring to him as "the black guy", as Demba Ba points out in the video above.

Fluctuation0161

Wonder how many pages before someone defends the official?
The other officials are far left Marxists. They probably want to defund the Premier League.

This 4th official was just being affectionate and it is disgusting that anyone could call what he said racist.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Even if that is the case, he shouldn't be referring to him as "the black guy", as Demba Ba points out in the video above.
Thin ice this, but if the ref asked, which one did it and he doesnt know their names, referring to him as the black guy is sort of apt.

Please dont kill me for this internet

Interval

Level
He's speaking in Romanian.

He says "ala negru", which means "the black one". There is nothing racist about that.
Eh? That's clearly racist. In a multicultural format, if I point and call someone "yellow" or "black" that's kinda racist. I mean, I would just say "that guy there"

Massive Spanner

He says "ala negru", which means "the black one". There is nothing racist about that.
As long as he referred to all the white players as "the white one" then absolutely. And I'm sure he did do that, didn't he?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yes, there is.

Not even one page before people are defending the official. Un-fecking-believable.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

I take it you’re trolling

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I dont understand, you cant describe someones physical appearance? I live in New York and dont refer to everyone as african-american because most of my football friends arent American. What term would be accepted?

I hope he did not call n word bc that is an absolute disgrace.

Massive Spanner

Im just preparing to avoid this thread after this post as a shot storm is coming.
Why?

The point of my post is that referring to him as "the black one" and not giving every player the same treatment is singling him out due to the colour of his skin and is therefore racist.

Pagh Wraith

As long as he referred to all the white players as "the white one" then absolutely. And I'm sure he did do that, didn't he?
If it were the only white person among a group of blacks, then surely you would do that? I've literally heard Robbie from AFTV say "the black one" when he could think of an opposition player's name.

Let's just wait until the facts are clear. The players were clearly incensed so he may have said worse.

mu4c_20le

Hard to defend the official when his reaction looked more nonchalant than remorseful

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thin ice this, but if the ref asked, which one did it and he doesnt know their names, referring to him as the black guy is sort of apt.

Please dont kill me for this internet
I'm raising my kids not to use that sort of descriptors, I agree with everyone above that it is inappropriate in that it singles out individuals for their race (whether or not with negative intent) and confirms race roles.

But even apart from that: it looks like he didn't say 'the black guy' (with those English words), but something including the Romanian word 'negru'. I have no idea about the connotations in Romanian, but certainly the close relatives I know (English 'negro', French 'nègre', Dutch 'neger') are not used anymore and would all be seen as condescending, if not insulting. Certainly a ref should know better than speaking like this, whatever language he uses.

Edit: I meant close phonetic relatives, as Romanian 'negru' just means 'black' (adjectives), while the other words are nouns referring to a black person.

Last edited: