Racism incident in PSG v Istanbul match

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's fecking depressing when you list it all like that. The World seems to be getting worse.

Get some diversity training you bunch of cnuts!
I agree that it can be a depressing read, but as for the 'world seems to be getting worse' bit - I don't think that's true at least. :) Imagine what this thread would have been like 20 years ago! Or even just half a year ago, before BLM really exploded into the mainstream.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
As it should be, provided the account of the conversation is accurate. Still remarkable how such an obvious and reasonable act of understanding was fought tooth & nail in this thread.

UncleBob

There's no way i'm believing any of that. They even refused to play the match with said ref in the VAR bus, all the focus on "say no to racism" and now the story is suddenly that Ba just disliked that he used the word black.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There's no way i'm believing any of that. They even refused to play the match with said ref in the VAR bus, all the focus on "say no to racism" and now the story is suddenly that Ba just disliked that he used the word black.
You can hear Demba Ba ask the referee why he said "this black guy" and that he wouldn't say "this white guy". It's not sudden, that's what Demba Ba said from the beginning, there are other people that called the referee racist namely Gulbrandsen when he is talking to Tuchel and a couple of Istanbul's assistants.

pablo__p

Fantastic, if true. UEFA at the helm of normality and common sense, how ironic. Anyway, credit where credit's due!

Doracle

Not very clear yet what is actually happening here. BBC’s article says that proceedings have commenced against the referee team:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56029690

Reading further posts by Rosu, he seems to have information to say that the proceedings don’t relate to racism but instead are limited to foul language. However, I can’t see anything officially released which confirms that to be the case.

edit - it looks like a racism charge would be under Article 14, not Article 11 as is the case here, which suggests it’s correct that the racism element has been dropped. A bit unclear what they are being charged with then - was there some other possibly offensive language?

Last edited:

youmeletsfly

His attorney spoke mentioning that there is no racist ruling against Coltescu during the trial.
Now UEFA will investigate Coltescu's behavior during the game.

Surprised that UEFA finally did something good.

Doracle

Right decision seemingly but bizarrely handled as there is no mention of the racism charges being dropped in the UEFA announcement that I can see. It’s left in a position where most of the articles which mention it assume that there is still a racism charge involved.