Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

acnumber9

They’ve played one team that finished above them last season. One place, with the same number of points. They drew that game. Not sure I’d be singing the praises too loudly just yet. I didn’t see the second half but they were abysmal in the first.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
They’ve played one team that finished above them last season. One place, with the same number of points. They drew that game. Not sure I’d be singing the praises too loudly just yet. I didn’t see the second half but they were abysmal in the first.
Silly hyperbole like "Top 5 manager in the PL" aside. Benitez did a great job at Newcastle while barely spending anything. Everton have most played rank sides, but they look very organized as you'd expect from his teams and at times play good stuff.

His biggest test will be how he reacts when fans turn against him after an inevitable run of bad form.

acnumber9

Silly hyperbole like "Top 5 manager in the PL" aside. Benitez did a great job at Newcastle while barely spending anything. Everton have most played rank sides, but they look very organized as you'd expect from his teams and at times play good stuff.

His biggest test will be how he reacts when fans turn against him after an inevitable run of bad form.
Bruce has done a similar job at Newcastle and been blasted for it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Done well so far but I always think looking at Everton 11 and there's plenty of decent players in there. Their trouble is always mentality and remember they won first 4 games last season yet barely finished in top half so long way to go yet.

Deserves credit for getting some early good form from Townsend and Gray though when you look at last 5 years of career from both of them.

MattyLT

I'd say that's a test he already passed with flying colours when he was at Chelsea.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Bruce has done a similar job at Newcastle and been blasted for it.
I agree and Bruce doesn't deserve it. But, the difference between the two has been spending. Newcastle are quite skint but their net spend under Bruce is £100m+. Benitez is in negative iirc, so he's had lesser resources to work with.

Grande

His biggest test was winning La Liga twice with Valencia, fourty years after their previous win. The CL win with that club down M6 is less impressive, as they always luck out in that competiton.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
His biggest test was winning La Liga twice with Valencia, fourty years after their previous win. The CL win with that club down M6 is less impressive, as they always luck out in that competiton.
Less impressive? They came from 3-0 at HT to win it.

acnumber9

I agree and Bruce doesn't deserve it. But, the difference between the two has been spending. Newcastle are quite skint but their net spend under Bruce is £100m+. Benitez is in negative iirc, so he's had lesser resources to work with.
£40m of that was Joelinton. He was signed about two days after Bruce took over so I wouldn’t credit that spend to Bruce. The net spend under Benitez is heavily influenced by them selling Premier League players when they went down. Bruce didn’t have a Wijnaldum or Sissoko to sell.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's still one of the top five managers in this league.
So was Ancelotti this time last year. In fact, Everton were flying then too, probably more impressive than they've been so far this season. You think people would learn to not judge too much either way after 4 games of a season.

Grande

Less impressive? They came from 3-0 at HT to win it.
Yes, AC Milan played them off the park, ran into a pile of hubris, slipped, and didn’t wake up before the penalty kicks. In those situations, it might be better to have Jerzy Dudek than David de Gea, even.

Whipping Real Galacticos twice over 38 games impresses more.

BorisManUtd

NIce start for him at Everton. Expect them to have solid season (points and league position wise) with possibly good run in cups. Ancelotti leaving may turn out to be very good thing for Everton.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Yes, AC Milan played them off the park, ran into a pile of hubris, slipped, and didn’t wake up before the penalty kicks. In those situations, it might be better to have Jerzy Dudek than David de Gea, even.

Whipping Real Galacticos twice over 38 games impresses more.
Nah. The greatest comeback of all time in a European Cup. Nothing can really be more impressive than that. By any coach or any team. He wasn’t panicking and kept his demeanor to pick up the fifth big ears.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'd say that's a test he already passed with flying colours when he was at Chelsea.
Form what I can tell, Chelsea fans were much more hostile towards him from the minute he walked through door than he has been so far at Everton. He was booed on his first game and the booing and anti-Rafa songs never really stopped until the day he left.

He'd had enough after one particular game and used the post match conference to basically tell the fans to stop being fecking idiots, that he's leaving at the end of the season anyway so just get behind the fecking team and forget about him. Finished the season 3rd and won the EL in the face of that so yeah I'd say if there's some kind hostilty test, he has shown he can do a good job under pressure from a hostile home crowd.

ROFLUTION

Hasn’t let ego ruin him in the same way.
Or just hasn't really been at big clubs for a while with pressure on him like Mourinho has. Roma is top of Serie A btw. Mou would probably put 3 fingers in the air, as it's only 3 games, but still a good start.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So was Ancelotti this time last year. In fact, Everton were flying then too, probably more impressive than they've been so far this season. You think people would learn to not judge too much either way after 4 games of a season.
Yep. I reckon they’ll tail off into a similar position to what they finished this year in. I’d be extremely surprised if Andros Townsend and Demarai Gray keep anywhere near close to the form they’re in now for a big chunk of the season.

sangria

Always felt that Rafa was a good manager as long as you don't let him anywhere near the transfer making decisions.
Like buying Andros Townsend and Demarai Gray for under 2 million total?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think we will tick along without doing anything special. Top 8 would be the target with a push for EL. I think that’s very achievable.

Grande

Nah. The greatest comeback of all time in a European Cup. Nothing can really be more impressive than that. By any coach or any team. He wasn’t panicking and kept his demeanor to pick up the fifth big ears.
You’re not really gonna have any other opinion, are you?:lol:

Fair enough, I would probably too, in your boots. Which I’m happy not to wear… regardless, what Benitez did at Valencia is for me some of the best I’ve seen with regards to coaching.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Benitez said himself that they won the league because the two big ones weren't at their best in those seasons.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It's interesting with Rafa.
I mean I always liked Townsend from his Newcastle days, but he always rather disappointed. I am wondering if this will be a one-off or if he has more surprises in his locker.
Also it's very untypical of Burnley to fall apart like that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Very good manager. I think he's perfect for what we associated with them back in the days of Duncan Ferguson. The fans are probably starting to warm to him now too.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I mean I always liked Townsend from his Newcastle days, but he always rather disappointed. I am wondering if this will be a one-off or if he has more surprises in his locker.
Burnley are falling short because they really haven’t built. Depending on Woods(as well as Mee/ Tarkowski etc) for goals is going to cost them.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
£40m of that was Joelinton. He was signed about two days after Bruce took over so I wouldn’t credit that spend to Bruce. The net spend under Benitez is heavily influenced by them selling Premier League players when they went down. Bruce didn’t have a Wijnaldum or Sissoko to sell.
Didn't he tell the club Joelinton wasn't worth £40m and that they were wasting there money?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Burnley have got to that Stoke stage where they haven't improved and they're not a surprise to anyone, partly due to their players being over worked/aging out. At best they probably finish 17th this season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They’ve had a good innings, tbf. Their only pricey transfer window was the year they came back up in 16/17. Every window since they were either in plus net spend or only have a net spend of about £10-20m.

Quite piddling compared to their contemporaries over the last 5 seasons!

And as @Dave Smith said above — the likes of Mee, Tarkowski, Wood etc. have had to carry the side on their back for a long while without proper investment to supplement the squad.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Proud of that dive, aren't you?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Proud of that dive, aren't you?
He got clipped in the ankle I swear he did. The point is with that squad they were up against and that result put Rafa in the list of top mgrs. He won a few things with a squad that really was a cup only squad but did deliver with what he had.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He got clipped in the ankle I swear he did. The point is with that squad they were up against and that result put Rafa in the list of top mgrs. He won a few things with a squad that really was a cup only squad but did deliver with what he had.
Well, can't argue about Rafa. Honestly has a soft spot with him. He shouldn't be managing this level of team after all he has done.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Burnley are falling short because they really haven’t built. Depending on Woods(as well as Mee/ Tarkowski etc) for goals is going to cost them.
Burnley have got to that Stoke stage where they haven't improved and they're not a surprise to anyone, partly due to their players being over worked/aging out. At best they probably finish 17th this season.
They’ve had a good innings, tbf. Their only pricey transfer window was the year they came back up in 16/17. Every window since they were either in plus net spend or only have a net spend of about £10-20m.

Quite piddling compared to their contemporaries over the last 5 seasons!

And as @Dave Smith said above — the likes of Mee, Tarkowski, Wood etc. have had to carry the side on their back for a long while without proper investment to supplement the squad.
Thanks for the input. According to you guys they might be in serious trouble.
Seems like Dyche is in for an interesting season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Thanks for the input. According to you guys they might be in serious trouble.
Seems like Dyche is in for an interesting season.
They still won’t sack him as he’s done well
With those resources. Farke is similar and so is Frank at Brentford.

They’ll get other jobs but they are held in high esteem at their clubs