Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Would be hilarious. After all their hero worship and claims about him "getting" them, he ends up at Everton of all places.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I'll say this, It will be almost impossible to do worse than Ancelotti did last season.

I suspect it'll end in tears, but good luck to him.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Good luck to him. Happy for him that he's back in the city he loves.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I don’t actually mind Benitez too much. Think he’s an underrated manager by many. I think he’ll do a good job, though I don’t expect the football to be particularly exciting.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Oooh, this will be interesting...

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
If you take the emotion out of it they really could not have found anyone better for where they are at but if results don't come early then it could get very toxic very quickly.
What do you mean with take emotion out. Without emotion there is nothing in any football club. The appointment will only create more toxic atmosphere at Everton.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I think he'll end up doing ok at Everton. They will probably finish higher in the table than they did under Carlo.

Abraxas

I don't understand this one. There is going to be a significant element of Liverpool fans that will be distinctly unimpressed and he risks his reputation with them. Not completely as that CL win will never be forgotten, but it must sour things. I think if a Utd manager was to do something similar I wouldn't be angry but I'd certainly lose some admiration.

There are probably a bunch of Everton fans that would rather have seen somebody else. He's not very exciting in addition to his background.

There is far more than ordinary pressure on him to get results now. I somewhat understand it for Everton, they seem to want managers that have won trophies judging by the previous appointment, rather than somebody younger and upcoming. There are very few of those managers available to Everton and Rafa is one. But for Benitez..was there really nothing else, anything else?!

red4ever 79

I don’t actually mind Benitez too much. Think he’s an underrated manager by many. I think he’ll do a good job, though I don’t expect the football to be particularly exciting.
He is a good manager, organizes his teams well and will have Everton being competitive. I think the issue is more that he called Everton a small time club whilst he was at Liverpool. Everton fans correct me if I am wrong. I personally dont see the issue. If Guardiola became available, there will not be many Utd fans who wouldnt want him at Old Trafford.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't wait to see the 2 Kopite gods Rafa and Klopp go at it :lol: it's going to be a bloodbath if Rafa sneaks a win at Anfield.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
This appointment has MELTED the brains of some Everton fans. Me? I just shrug and get on with it. If it doesn't work he''ll be binned and become just another chapter in the club's history.

RedChisel

Fingers crossed for a Fachts style rant aimed at Klopp in his first press conference.

SamVimes

I don't understand this one. There is going to be a significant element of Liverpool fans that will be distinctly unimpressed and he risks his reputation with them. Not completely as that CL win will never be forgotten, but it must sour things. I think if a Utd manager was to do something similar I wouldn't be angry but I'd certainly lose some admiration.

There are probably a bunch of Everton fans that would rather have seen somebody else. He's not very exciting in addition to his background.

There is far more than ordinary pressure on him to get results now. I somewhat understand it for Everton, they seem to want managers that have won trophies judging by the previous appointment, rather than somebody younger and upcoming. There are very few of those managers available to Everton and Rafa is one. But for Benitez..was there really nothing else, anything else?!
I imagine he has done this for personal reasons as much as anything else. His family still live in the area and he has been, what two years in China? He is 61 now, so he gets to be home with his family and managing at a Club that seems to be progressing. Makes sense from that perspective.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
And lo, the Kopites did shudder when they bore witness to his return
And felt great anger and fear in the face of his blue and white scarf
Eternal pain suffered as a result of their past sins,
Whitening their teeth whiter than the shade allowed by God.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
So if I read what you're saying right, only Pep, Klopp or Tuchel would have been the right manager for Everton?
There's loads of managers out there who play attacking football. I'm guessing Everton fans would rather one of them. Someone like Potter.

People haven't noticed it (probably because he's not the sort you associate with bus-parking, like an Allardyce or Pulis) but Benitez's football is really dull these days. If Everton fans got bored of Big Sam's playstyle I don't see why they would be any more receptive of Benitez's. They're two peas of the same pod, one just happens to be Spanish.

With that said, Ancelotti's time at Everton has to be considered an utter disaster- I don't think they ever really improved under him. If Benitez can do a job similar to Moyes at West Ham and get them into Europa League he'll be their best manager in years. That feels like a big if to me, though.

el3mel

Don't know. He did decently well with Newcastle all things considered. I thought he would be focused on gathering money in China and won't return to top football anymore. The Everton appointment can be his last attempt at doing something at such level. Of course, they should be expected to at least qualify to Europe League or something, or even this conference league new tournament.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Great now his own team and his older team can dislike him at the same time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This appointment has MELTED the brains of some Everton fans. Me? I just shrug and get on with it. If it doesn't work he''ll be binned and become just another chapter in the club's history.
I don't see the reason for such a big hooplah. He's hardly someone who is synonymous with Liverpool and one of their most iconic managers. He won a CL there, sure, but didn't achieve what they wanted in the league since prehistoric times, and they're one of the many many clubs he managed.

KGBhoy

Don't know. He did decently well with Newcastle all things considered. I thought he would be focused on gathering money in China and won't return to top football anymore. The Everton appointment can be his last attempt at doing something at such level. Of course, they should be expected to at least qualify to Europe League or something, or even this conference league new tournament.
My first thought. But wouldn't you say Bruce did almost as well with Newcastle... so was Rafa really that good there. Will be interesting.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I don't get how Liverpool fans should be mad at him, the guy's reputation has been on a decline for half a decade, this is probably his last train if he wants to coach at the top level and surely Liverpool would never offer him a job after his last stints due to his "Legend status", I don't know why Rafa should skip the best offer he'll probably get for the rest of his life just to save face for a club that wouldn't consider hiring him in the future.

I could understand it from the Everton point of view, some die hard fans may even consider that it's better to be relegated than to be coached by Benitez, but at the end of the day no president wants to risk that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don't see the reason for such a big hooplah. He's hardly someone who is synonymous with Liverpool and one of their most iconic managers. He won a CL there, sure, but didn't achieve what they wanted in the league since prehistoric times, and they're one of the many many clubs he managed.
To this point, they’ve treated him like a God. Far and away above Klopp until the German won the CL and League.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I hoped he would get Spurs or arsenal job so that I can hate him more.:D

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Say Pep resigns tomorrow, goes back to Barca for a few years. 95% of our fan base would welcome him with open arms after.

For Everton this is only going to be successful for a disaster.

Benitez will be boring and hard to beat but he doest have a striker and James who guarantee goals. Just need some midfield and defensive reinforcements.