Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Moshiri doesn't understand the tribalism of English football if he pushes ahead with this appointment.

Abraxas

Everton are a cracking little club, hope they get him. It feels a little like the Rodriguez signing - where you can’t quite believe it could happen for them. Would put them on the map though.
Huh? He just finished managing Newcastle and in China, it is quite believable.

No Love

Everton are a cracking little club, hope they get him. It feels a little like the Rodriguez signing - where you can’t quite believe it could happen for them. Would put them on the map though.
Is it as unbelievable as Ancelotti managing them?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Presume this is some sort of tongue in cheek comment? Or you're under 30 or so?

Everton had as many league titles as United until Fergie got going and only us, Liverpool and Arsenal have more to this day.
They're already on "the map"

Bole Top

incredible post.

Raredaredevil

But he will still lose to Liverpool as all ex Liverpool managers do.

redrobed

incredible post.
Thank you - looks like we’re on our own on this one though.

For those who misconstrued my initial post I was trying to praise Everton - they are one of my favourite smaller clubs.

Adcuth

Thank you - looks like we’re on our own on this one though.

For those who misconstrued my initial post I was trying to praise Everton - they are one of my favourite smaller clubs.
I wouldn't exactly class them as a smaller club.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I do not see the appeal for a club like Everton.

Yes he is tactically astute and a good manager, however, he seems to be a complete and utter hired gun these days.

I would have thought they'd want a manager that's going to sign the right players given they're happy pumping the money in, build them up into a more interesting side, and maybe stay there for a good period. Somebody really ambitious. An ex Liverpool manager that's been floating around doing random jobs just seems off note to me.
He'll stay there as long as they want him.

The only reason he took the Newcastle job was because of its proximity to the city of Liverpool.

Martialfc

Everton are a massive club despite what you all might think. They are bigger than Man City and Spurs in my eyes. I actually live in Liverpool so I know that the fans are loyal and true and not plastic like some other clubs. Everton have made a massive mistake in hiring Rafa the fans will turn on him the instant he has a single bad result. Everton fans are brilliant because they just hate Liverpool with a passion. I really hope when rafa gets forced out they get someone who will push them in the right direction. UTFT

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It’s getting a bit stale at Everton. I’m ready for a new exciting manager, not another from the graveyard.
I get that. It is a question mark after his years at Newcastle and in China how much he has refreshed his ideas to keep up with modern football.

What you are getting is an adopted scouser who is definitely in for a long term project and building a team and team identity. I reckon he's got good stuff to work with there and will make the side more resilient than ancelotti managed to.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
As a Chelsea fan I knew how evertonians will feel about him if he selected as their manager. Thank god he was appointed as interim manager with tag as interim for us.

He won with us europa league but nobody wanted to give any credit to him. I still feel he was appointed only for Torres and roman really wanted to give every chance to make Torres success.

The only decision most chelsea fans still have grudge about chelsea board.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It’s getting a bit stale at Everton. I’m ready for a new exciting manager, not another from the graveyard.
So if I read what you're saying right, only Pep, Klopp or Tuchel would have been the right manager for Everton?

dinostar77

Everton are a massive club despite what you all might think. They are bigger than Man City and Spurs in my eyes. I actually live in Liverpool so I know that the fans are loyal and true and not plastic like some other clubs. Everton have made a massive mistake in hiring Rafa the fans will turn on him the instant he has a single bad result. Everton fans are brilliant because they just hate Liverpool with a passion. I really hope when rafa gets forced out they get someone who will push them in the right direction. UTFT
Rafa is a very good manager, whos won a CL trophy. Everton are lucky to have him. Anything about crosstown rivalry and "he cant manage us because"...., is just small club mentality.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So if I read what you're saying right, only Pep, Klopp or Tuchel would have been the right manager for Everton?
Well, a Klopp/Tuchel at the moment they left Mainz and before Dortmund type, yeah. I don’t think that’s too unreasonable.

Martialfc

Rafa is a very good manager, whos won a CL trophy. Everton are lucky to have him. Anything about crosstown rivalry and "he cant manage us because"...., is just small club mentality.
Would you like Klopp or Rafa to manage united?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Well, a Klopp/Tuchel at the moment they left Mainz and before Dortmund type, yeah. I don’t think that’s too unreasonable.
You do know that even though he doesn’t bring the whole high press high action football style of mgmt with him he will make you lot extremely difficult to beat. And that’s a start to winning trophies. Once he gets your team stable I will believe you will see Everton move up in stature and placings in the table. You’re a big club and should be challenging Liverpool for honors like you used to.I remember Everton were our biggest rivals when united were no marks in the 70s and 80s. They were wonderful times. I think he will adapt with the times given he has money to spend. Have some optimisim.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You do know that even though he doesn’t bring the whole high press high action football style of mgmt with him he will make you lot extremely difficult to beat. And that’s a start to winning trophies. Once he gets your team stable I will believe you will see Everton move up in stature and placings in the table. You’re a big club and should be challenging Liverpool for honors like you used to.I remember Everton were our biggest rivals when united were no marks in the 70s and 80s. They were wonderful times. I think he will adapt with the times given he has money to spend. Have some optimisim.
I personally believe he’ll be similar to Ancelotti, lost their mojo a bit and that safety first football will work in some games and not in others. It leads to you finishing in the top 10 and challenging for Europe but I miss the Bobby Martinez days where we played good football (even if we only had one super season under him).

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I personally believe he’ll be similar to Ancelotti, lost their mojo a bit and that safety first football will work in some games and not in others. It leads to you finishing in the top 10 and challenging for Europe but I miss the Bobby Martinez days where we played good football (even if we only had one super season under him).
Well it all starts by getting near top 4 and getting to finals. Who cares what final, any final is good. That’s why I laugh at fans who scoff at the FA cup or League and Europa league. Rafa is a very good at navigating through cups and that’s where it starts. Win one and you notice how the team gets better in the league.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
that was my thinking also, you've got some young potentially good players, plenty of cash, new stadium on the way, a fossil like Benitez seems at odds with all of that

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’ve thought about this for a while now. He’s a good coach and seems to be a good man manager. The thing is, surely he’s peaked and it’s an appointment thats going to instantly divide the fans and probably some staff too. When you have the kind of cash Everton have and look at the kind of money they’ve basically wasted then surely you’d be looking at a reboot?

Go the way of Spurs or Leicester and try and sign the gems in the bracket or two below Sancho De Ligt etc. Get a young attacking coach. Set it up as a world class talent factory to begin and build a formidable and sustainable young team with top of the range scouting and after a while you’ll be able to get the Sanchos and Bellingham’s when they are leaving their first clubs because you’ll actually pay very big money and you’re prepared to play them.

If I had a blank slate and I was trying to break into the top 4 that’s the way I would go about it instead of buying half baked PL players who had a good season but look pretty ordinary for the most part. I’d definitely be sacking Marcel Brands and bringing in someone like Paul Mitchell or even Campos or Rangnick. What’s the story with the transfers there? It’s like Newcastle on steroids….

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Newcastle fans weren't too happy to see Rafa leave if I remember correctly. He must have got them playing some good stuff, or at least solid stuff. That's all clubs like Everton can hope for really. The likes of the next young Pep or Tuchel will only be heading to the money clubs.

Us getting Klopp was a one in a million opportunity which won't be coming round again. Once he goes we'll be back in the market for the Rafa's and Ancelloti's ourselves. Gerrard probably but he's hardly the next Klopp. That's the reality.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Rank. Don’t want the man but the cnuts who do this have no place in football.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Some real scumbag(s) did that.

I don't know why this is causing some to lose their minds. If it doesn't work he'll be gone in a year and the world keeps turning.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Newcastle fans weren't too happy to see Rafa leave if I remember correctly. He must have got them playing some good stuff, or at least solid stuff. That's all clubs like Everton can hope for really. The likes of the next young Pep or Tuchel will only be heading to the money clubs.

Us getting Klopp was a one in a million opportunity which won't be coming round again. Once he goes we'll be back in the market for the Rafa's and Ancelloti's ourselves. Gerrard probably but he's hardly the next Klopp. That's the reality.
We have money which is shown in our spending and getting Ancelotti.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
As a Chelsea fan I knew how evertonians will feel about him if he selected as their manager. Thank god he was appointed as interim manager with tag as interim for us.

He won with us europa league but nobody wanted to give any credit to him. I still feel he was appointed only for Torres and roman really wanted to give every chance to make Torres success.

The only decision most chelsea fans still have grudge about chelsea board.
I had zero issue with the Rafa appointment and think Chelsea fans were pathetic and embarrassing in their treatment of him once he was appointed. Done a great job too.

As with a lot of stuff these days it's just a case of morons looking for their next vehicle to use as an excuse to behave and act like morons.