Rafa Benitez | Sacked (Fachts)

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I really hope I don't jinx this, but thats a bad appointment by Newcastle. They need a Manager who knows what relegation battles are about not someone who will come in and immediately try and change everything, that takes too long to implement.
Yeah, said it before but i think exactly the same. It made sense to me to have a manager that could try and motivate the team in a situation like this but equally know the Championship if the worst happened.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Well, for a start, Benitez is used to working with high quality, motivated players whereas Allardyce has often had to make do with mediocre squads.
He motivated players like Traore, Smicer, Dudek etc. to win the CL. That Liverpool squad in 2005 had very few quality players, so he's no Guardiola who haven't shown anything with average players.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Feck me;

Mourinho
Pep
Wenger
Klopp
Poch
Benitez
Ranieri
Bilic
Conte

All managing in the prem next year, circumstances permitting, but how good would that be for competition!

MoskvaRed

He motivated players like Traore, Smicer, Dudek etc. to win the CL. That Liverpool squad in 2005 had very few quality players, so he's no Guardiola who haven't shown anything with average players.
Fair point, although those Liverpool players were at least solid, motivated professionals. The impression I get of Newcastle is a load of third rate imports just passing through and not giving a toss.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Fair point, although those Liverpool players were at least solid, motivated professionals. The impression I get of Newcastle is a load of third rate imports just passing through and not giving a toss.
That might be because they've had shit managers like Pardew, Carver and McClaren.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Hope he falls flat on his fat face.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What the feck.

I know we make fun of him but he's far too good to be managing there.
This.

I don't think he has been properly credited for his managerial acumen ans talent. The politics of his dismissal at Liverpool was ridiculous; he did amazingly well in very difficult circumstances during his caretaker role at Chelsea and Real Madrid are just idiots.

If he can keep them up this season, this is a perfect role for him in that there is a big managerial job to do and his impact will be very visible. With some astute transfer business and his tactical and organisational input, I can see him quickly getting Newcastle upto the top 10 and after that, who know: Leicester and Spurs have shown that anything is possible.

Whilst Newcastle current guise makes this look like a step down, Newcastle are a huge club with passionate fans and a decent transfer budget. With some good luck, I can see him quickly bringing smiles back the some Geordie faces.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How the mighty has fallen...
Don't agree.

Newcastle are a big and prestigious club currently punching way below thier potential. Credit to Ashley for preparing a pitch enticing enough and also to FSW for taking up the challenge.

FSW has far bigger balls than Pep who only ever manages elite teams who don't require much input.

diarm

Feck me;

Mourinho
Pep
Wenger
Klopp
Poch
Benitez
Ranieri
Bilic
Conte

All managing in the prem next year, circumstances permitting, but how good would that be for competition!
Next it'll be those new Everton owners offering Fergie a billion to come out of retirement for 2 years!

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Moyes has yet to be approached by Newcastle as they ponder Steve McClaren's exit and subsequent replacement and took up an invite from the Italian Football Federation to speak and discuss coaching ideas.
The 52-year-old admitted he would like to coach in Serie A one day but has his focus on a return to the Premier League.

'It was a great experience. Very technical, talking about team shapes and diagrams but all good. Could I come to Serie A? I'd like that,' he said. 'I've rejected a lot of offers from around Europe. We like Italian football, we're used to watching it in England every Sunday, ever since the days of [Diego] Maradona.

'All the Italian teams are good, and they're always good in Europe - though maybe less so in recent years, Juventus aside - and the national team is always fighting for important goals.'

Talking to Gianluca Di Marzio's website, Moyes added: 'It's a privilege to be here, I'm having fun. I've already been at Coverciano a few times, I came here with Everton when we faced Fiorentina a few years ago, but also as a young coach to learn when [Giovanni] Trapattoni was coaching here.

'I'm teaching today, but I just want to learn, there are some great coaches here today. It's important to come here and understand what it means to coach at the highest level though.

'Allegri deserved it, he had a great season last year, especially with the Champions League final. It was a great achievement, Italian football hadn't been at that level for years. They have a chance against Bayern too.'

Moyes, asked about Leicester boss Ranieri, whose team are five points clear at the top of the Premier League, said: 'He's doing a fantastic job, everyone in England wants Leicester to win the title. It's a great football story, maybe for once money won't be the key to winning, and that's a great message for all of football.

'I gave him my compliments, there's big pressure on him now in every game. There are big clubs chasing, like Arsenal, [Manchester] City and Tottenham - it'll be tough.'
Where does it say he didn't want the Newcastle job?

Moyes, meanwhile, appears to have warmed to the idea of working under chairman Mike Ashley after previously expressing reservations about the controversial businessman. Following spells with Manchester United and Real Sociedad, as short-lived as they were disappointing, the 52-year-old’s stock is low but his achievements at Everton remain a feather in his cap.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...fael-benitez-as-ex-england-boss-a6918441.html

Former Everton and Manchester United boss Moyes is in a similar position having also expressed an interest in succeeding McClaren.

Moyes would prefer a long term contract and is willing to stay on if the club are relegated, but he will not work as a head coach and wants control over recruitment.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...r-rising-as-newcastle-leave-manager-in-limbo/

Many Newcastle fans would like to see Benítez, available after his dismissal by Real Madrid, take charge at Gallowgate. Ashley, though, may find Benítez too challenging for his liking and is said to have a preference for the similarly unemployed Moyes, the former Everton, Manchester United and Real Sociedad manager. It is understood that he would be extremely interested in any vacancy.
http://www.theguardian.com/football...-newcastle-crisis-talks-steve-mcclaren-future

It's pretty obvious he was beaten to the job by Benitez. So...:lol: at moyes

Someone

Something
I really hope I don't jinx this, but thats a bad appointment by Newcastle. They need a Manager who knows what relegation battles are about not someone who will come in and immediately try and change everything, that takes too long to implement.
In fairness, if you're looking at progress beyond this relegation fight then managers like benitez are a much safer bet than the likes of big sam and pulis.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Don't agree.

Newcastle are a big and prestigious club currently punching way below thier potential. Credit to Ashley for preparing a pitch enticing enough and also to FSW for taking up the challenge.

FSW has far bigger balls than Pep who only ever manages elite teams who don't require much input.
Newcastle are a decent enough club but prestigious is a bit of an overstatement. The're still the worst club FSW managed in recent memory and taking them in the relegation zone is a big, huge, massive, gigantic, I don't have enough words to tell how much of a step down it is when he was managing the biggest, most prestigious and attractive club in world football only weeks ago.

It's not just FSW having big balls, he simply doesn't have better offers. Sure you can credit him for taking this tough challenge and not waiting for a safer job in the summer.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Fat people are generally more buoyant I think. So he might just about stay up I reckon

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
IMO Moyes would have been the better signing.
Newcastle this season have a stark similarity with QPR of last season, planning for future seasons in top flight when survival in present season isn't secure. As per reports Newcastle signed him for 4m pounds. Should they get relegated, what is the relegation clause, if any! And even if there is, there is no way a team in Championship would be earning enough to pay Benitez!

Drifter

American

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Applaud his bravado of taking small team, here. Still, FSW.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
If it makes you feel all warm inside. So be it.
You're the one who is making things up to defend Moyes...

You post an article about him not wanting the Newcastle job even though it doesn't even say that! Are you his PR agent :lol:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Good, just in time to hopefully give Newcastle a lift in their next game - against Leicester.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
You know what...if Newcastle stay up this season, I'm going to put £100 on them to get top 4 next season or a cheeky punt for the title! There's something about this appointment. We might be taking the piss a bit and I aint a fan of Benitez but after mulling it over, I think Benitez is a perfect fit for the Toon. With a few wins and good performances, the Toon Army are going to come out in their droves again. I can see a Kevin Keegan scenario developing here.

Of course I could be completely wrong and they end up in League 1! :lol: But if they stay up, I will sticking a few quid on them next season.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Can we say he's done a managerial Michael Owen?
So 4 years of Newcastle and then us? Points to the fact that Mourinho want that bad in his 3rd season afterall or the manager who came to clean Mou's 3rd season mess lasted only a year

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Rafa hasn't quite got the hang of this Toon Army thing yet:

Benitez said:
Howay in a manger!

devil in me

Rafa cant lose. Everone expects newcastle to go down, and if they do it wont be his fault, amd he will be out of there. If he keeps them up he will be a saviour and everyone will say what a good job he did.
Good appointment for the toon tho.