Rafael da Silva | 2010-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's dealt with some very very good players extremely well. In fact IMO his best performances have come against the better players a lot of people were worried how he'll perform against. Even against Ribery, although he got sent off, I thought he was great.

Was terrific tonight I thought. Gave Bale absolutely no space. Bale beat him once, I think, but other than that occasion he stuck to the Welshman like a magnet.

Definitely under the 'special' talent category for me.

032Devil

He was great today. Kept Bale so quiet that I was wondering if he was playing or not after 20 minutes.

amolbhatia50k

Funnily enough Wes actually seemed intent on getting forward more than Rafael.

Also, as he (Rafael) gradually starts feeling completely as ease defensively in England, we'll start seeing a lot more of his talents going forward.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Rafa has been injured recently so maybe just easing him in?

championo

Top Stalker
His defending was refreshing. Long may it last. I have hated that retrieving moves of our recent right backs.

wr8_utd

:'(
He's class. What a brilliant signing he's been. Talk about value.

Give him a 10 year deal incase Madrid becomes his dream in a few years.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Good point about him raising his game against tough opponents, great quality to have.. some of his more dodgy displays have been against average widemen where he isn't sure whether to take the game to the opposition or sit back a tad and relax.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Frankly, I was more worried when Brown came on the pitch.
Agreed. I thought, barring injury or general tiredness (he wasn't showing either), it was a bad decision by Fergie. Rafael had been one of our better players up to that stage and had almost entirely neutralised Bale.

Although on second thoughts, had Crouch come on at that stage? Maybe we wanted Brown on there for a bit more height?

Red_Aaron

crouch wasn't on but Pav was and Fergie was obvioulsy expecting a bombardment late on

Rafa was excellent though, Bale had no answer to him

i another season or 2 he's gonna be some fullback this lad

Devil may care

Very good game tonight, Bale only got any real foothold in the game when he started to drift central from receiving the ball. I'm hoping he went off for tactical reasons (Pav height) as opposed to an injury.

Neutral

BTV
No injury, I think Rafael went off because he will start again on Tuesday night, plus Fergie thought maybe he was a bit tired, and with Brown being back now, it was a win win...

We all worried about Rafael, and it was Evra on the other side that was having the trouble :lol::lol:

Commadus

He is only 20 and especially for defenders they need time for their bodies to develop and strengthen.

Contrast this to the way Arsenal are handling Gibbs.

He seems to excel against the better opponents. A very useful quality to have.

Tonight he marked the attackers very tightly and gave them no space to operate. And of course his pace always got him out of potentially tricky situations. He's improved the defensive side of his game in such a short space of time. Dare I say it, he looks solid now. But I still want to see the attacking exuberance he displayed when he first came here. That will make him a complete player.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
No injury, I think Rafael went off because he will start again on Tuesday night, plus Fergie thought maybe he was a bit tired, and with Brown being back now, it was a win win...

We all worried about Rafael, and it was Evra on the other side that was having the trouble :lol::lol:
To be fair Evras always struggled against Lennon, but today i thought he was excellent to, dont remember Lennon getting any change out of him today.

Spurs main threat came from Van Der Vaart and to a lesser extent Modric.

Neutral

BTV
To be fair Evras always struggled against Lennon, but today i thought he was excellent to, dont remember Lennon getting any change out of him today.

Spurs main threat came from Van Der Vaart and to a lesser extent Modric.
1st half, he worked the little give and go 3 times, because Evra kept charging at him, and Lennon kept blowing past him, but in the 2nd half, that all changed.

Not totally his fault, Park drifting and popping up all over the place meant Evra was a bit exposed in the 1st half.

Allforone

1st half, he worked the little give and go 3 times, because Evra kept charging at him, and Lennon kept blowing past him, but in the 2nd half, that all changed.

Not totally his fault, Park drifting and popping up all over the place meant Evra was a bit exposed in the 1st half.
Yes i remember that one now, but in a sense thats whats most impressive, normally Evra really struggles against Lennon or at least Lennons given him some nightmares in the past and you'd be able to vividly remember at least 3 or 4 instances where Lennons got the better of him, but today i hardly saw Lennon all night, he was invisible for 90% of the match and thats great testament to God himself.

amolbhatia50k

It's eerie how similar what I said half an hour back was. Even the wording!

wr8_utd

:'(
Evra was very poor in the first half but improved a lot in the 2nd.

First half Lennon did well...well usual Lennon, give and go and shite cross, but second half it must have been about 70mins or something and he dribbled in field from his wing, not really threatening...but it must have been the first time I noticed him that half as it surprised me to be seeing him on the ball

But can only echo the surprise at Rafael coming off, hope it wasn't injury, as this past month, he's been very good, in particularly defensively and is making that RB spot his own

Allforone

First half Lennon did well...well usual Lennon, give and go and shite cross, but second half it must have been about 70mins or something and he dribbled in field from his wing, not really threatening...but it must have been the first time I noticed him that half as it surprised me to be seeing him on the ball

But can only echo the surprise at Rafael coming off, hope it wasn't injury, as this past month, he's been very good, in particularly defensively and is making that RB spot his own
I think today or at least id like to think today Rafael showed everyone hes easily the best right back at the club, hes a fabulous player, this is the same Gareth Bale who roasted Maicon in the San Siro a week ago, and yet Rafael had him well under control all evening, his defensive game has come on leaps and bounds.

I hope the lad gets a long run now, hes a level above anything else we've got competing for that role in my opinion.

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
I'd be very surprised if Rafael isn't first choice by the end of the season. Excellent display today. Mature controlled defending combined with (often ignored) good attacking runs. I think he came off because SAF reckoned we would need the aerial strength of Brown. We didn't in the end.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He was bloody brilliant tonight, I love the kid and can't wait for that position to be his nailed on. Didn't understand the sub, but maybe SAF just wants to give Brown some minutes on the pitch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah was gonna start a thread about this.

Bale's a decent player but the hype was getting silly. That's nearly 180 consecutive minutes he's spent in the pocket of Pee Neville and Rafael, the chimpy faced gimp.

Fingers crossed wee Rafael didn't pick up a knock, that was an outstanding defensive performance.

Mind you, Wes is looking good too. His Scholesque scoop over the top to Nani hasn't been getting enough praise due to the farce that ensued.

Mick1991

He's gotten back that little bit of pace he lost when he was bulking up, it just gives him that little bit of impetus.

Dion

Rio agrees and I agree with Rio.

Rafa da silva was Major 2day, defending was top drawer against the in form Bale. The defender in me made me highlight that!
about 1 hour ago via ÜberTwitter

Saying that Wes was excellent, good pair to have fighting for the rightback spot.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He looked so calm about the whole thing. Caf muppets (myself included) were getting into a frenzy on how Bale was going to tear us a new one and it was like Rafael didn't see what all the fuss was about. He just approaches every game the same.

He actually doesnt get enough credit at times for the quality of his defending.

Seveneric

Rio agrees and I agree with Rio.

Rafa da silva was Major 2day, defending was top drawer against the in form Bale. The defender in me made me highlight that!
about 1 hour ago via ÜberTwitter

Saying that Wes was excellent, good pair to have fighting for the rightback spot.
He really needs to slow down with these tweets

Ekeke

He's been brilliant since his debut, and has had good performances against Robinho, Ronaldinho, Ribery and Bale. There arent too many better players who play wide left that he's yet to face.

AttackingFlair

I think today or at least id like to think today Rafael showed everyone hes easily the best right back at the club, hes a fabulous player, this is the same Gareth Bale who roasted Maicon in the San Siro a week ago, and yet Rafael had him well under control all evening, his defensive game has come on leaps and bounds.

I hope the lad gets a long run now, hes a level above anything else we've got competing for that role in my opinion.
That is a myth really, he "roasted" or rather outpaced two players in their mid thirties in Zanetti and Cordoba. Maicon was playing on the wing when Bale scored 2 of his goals.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah was gonna start a thread about this.

Bale's a decent player but the hype was getting silly. That's nearly 180 consecutive minutes he's spent in the pocket of Pee Neville and Rafael, the chimpy faced gimp.

Fingers crossed wee Rafael didn't pick up a knock, that was an outstanding defensive performance.

Mind you, Wes is looking good too. His Scholesque scoop over the top to Nani hasn't been getting enough praise due to the farce that ensued.
To be fair Bales better than decent. Tore into maicon the other week. He's young and young attackers usually take their time to start performing against bigger teams.

Rafael was.brilliant. I love his attitude. It was so clear that he was taking this as a challenge and was.determined to win. No half heartened, lazyness, not one iota. Brown was very good too. Our two best right back performances of the season and both in the same.game!

Devilton

Was fantastic against Bale.

Going to be a great RB if he can keep improving and stay fit.

zain

Believe
To be fair Bales better than decent. Tore into maicon the other week. He's young and young attackers usually take their time to start performing against bigger teams.

Rafael was.brilliant. I love his attitude. It was so clear that he was taking this as a challenge and was.determined to win. No half heartened, lazyness, not one iota. Brown was very good too. Our two best right back performances of the season and both in the same.game!
agreed..

Brown's pass for the Nani penalty appeal was orgasmic...

MacMUFC

He's been brilliant since his debut, and has had good performances against Robinho, Ronaldinho, Ribery and Bale. There arent too many better players who play wide left that he's yet to face.
I agree.

Still hasnt played Ronaldo or Messi yet though :nervous:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Rafael came off due to injury.

He tried running it off, but did not work. Rio signalled to the bench for replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.