Rafael da Silva | 2010-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyslexic Untied

Sorry for the bump but I only just noticed this.

WTF!?

Bale got absolutely nothing from Rafael the other day, the one time Bale broke free, he went to the OPPOSITE side of the field (hence the right footed shot) because he clearly realised he was getting no change from Rafael.

Not entirely true. Bale had one moment in the first half I think where he skinned Rafael on the outside left. Beat him purely, and quite easily on pace.

Rest of the game Rafael contained him though.

Berlinknives

He still gets a bit caught out going forward which can leave us a bit exposed at the back but I won't berate him for that. It's the United way.
Yes, I'm sure United signed the likes of Paul Parker and Henning Berg for being highly attacking rightbacks. It's the United way.

marcus agrippa

People can say what they like, but that boy Rafael is something special.

I watched Bale give Maicon a pure roasting yesterday. Went past the Brazilian at will. At points in the game you could actually see fear in Maicon's eyes, his play, everything. Truly extraordinary.

Another truly extraordinary thing: Rafael shut this fellow down just a couple of days previously. Bale only got past him twice the whole game, but you expect that of a good player. Rafael was on top throughout the rest of the time he was on.

Well and truly impressed by the lad.

Dion

Bale beat Rafael once, genuinely down the left, he "beat" him once by running across the pitch meaning Rafael was unwilling to follow and get out of position.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah he did.
Never saw him really beat Rafael. Good tactics by our defence ensured that the only time Bale threatened was that great run across field, and although we can't say it with 100% certainty forcing him across field onto his right foot nullified the goal threat.

Doesn't make Bale an overrated player nor does it Rafael but neither does it make either bad. I see 2 youngsters who will grow in stature and I'm sure will have a few more duels to come..who's to say Bale won't better Rafael at the Lane?

Dyslexic Untied

Prove it!

The only time I remember Bale getting away from Rafael was that long run across the pitch, and in fairness to Rafael he had to pass him on to Vida.

Bale certainly never "skinned" Rafael, never "purely, and quite easily on pace".
I'm not talking about the one where he went inside and fired a shot with his right foot. Rafael did the right thing there.

He skinned him once, on the left, by pace. He got a cross in and it was cleared.

I'll watch the first half again later, and tell you guys what minute it was in. He did beat him once though, on pace. Quite easily.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm not talking about the one where he went inside and fired a shot with his right foot. Rafael did the right thing there.

He skinned him once, on the left, by pace. He got a cross in and it was cleared.

I'll watch the first half again later, and tell you guys what minute it was in. He did beat him once though, on pace. Quite easily.
What point are you trying to prove exactly?

Shimo

Love Rafael but, I wouldn't praise him more because a couple days later Bale has a very good game and roasts Maicon.

Different day, different game. The thing to note is that Rafael when he has come up against some of the best left sided players has done very well against them. He like any other back will get taken once or twice a game, it would be fantastic if none of our defenders ever lose a tackle or get taken by an opponent but, it will happen.

So far though we are seeing a lot of maturity in his game. He isn't as rash in his challenges and positionally he is becoming quite brilliant IMO. There is a couple times now that he has saved our bacon because he is covering well for our CBs.

On the Bale run across the pitch, before he might have gone on with him, leaving our right side bare but, now did the right thing in handing off responsibility. Not sure how many times before I've seen Rafael and thinking wtf is he doing in the center of the park or at the top of the opponents box.

To think - they talked about Fabio being the better of the two. Imagine when Fabio gets his chance and he can be as good. Makes me smile.

Ekeke

Thats how I remember it. Got free on the left once and put a low cross in that we dealt with

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Rafael is fantastic and he'd be my first choice right back whenever he's fit. He'll get caught out every now and then due to his willingness to get forward but thats not a problem as other players know him and fill in the majority those instances.

He kept Bale quiet throughout the game against Spurs with the winger only beating him one or twice. He's done the same against some of the big names in European Football too (Ronaldinho, Robinho, Ribiery spring to mind), all at his tender age.

He's something special.

I'm always right

Looking forward to that. I'm convinced he never got "skinned", he might have "just" got past him and put in a crap cross under pressure but skinned... nar!

Eriku

Nice to see I'm not the only one who had the primal "woooo!"-effect rush over me when Rafael squared up to Tevez.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He has been doing so well and at the rate he is improving, he will be incredible in a couple of years

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Terrific player. Best young player we have. Probably one of the best yoing players around.

Status
Not open for further replies.