Rafael da Silva | 2010-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danillaco

More Seleção stupidity. No Rafael is mind boggling. Especially with Jean on his place.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Strange not to pick him, yes. Obviously some bad blood there,

Incidentally, looking at that squad - I wouldn't be too bloody confident about next year's World Cup were I a Brazil fan. Seems to be missing a little bit of this and a little bit of that if you ask me.

Ekeke

Its not at all surprising. It was obvious at the time that he was only doing damage to himself when arguing with his own players.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
No, but is Cazorla a £30 million player? No either yet you'd still reject the bid.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
What does cazorla have to do with anything? Besides, Wenger probably would take 30 million if it was offered.
Nothing, but 'value of a player' is based on different factors. I wouldn't want to sell Rafael for any price, same with De Gea. Potentially the best in the world in their respective positions.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't mean to get all homo, but doesn't he just look adorable, all the time? I just want to give him a big hug, take him home, make him some beans on toast and let him watch cartoons.
:lol:

I love our Rafa. Hope he stays til retirement.
Already one of the best RBs in the league?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What you value them at and what somebody would pay are two different things.
Exactly. That's pretty much always the case.

A team may come in and only want to pay £16million for him

United may consider him hugely valuable at his current ability and see him improving massively in the next 4 or 5 years in addition to that ability, so rightfully slap £45million on him.

Other team don't want to pay that. No big deal for United. They keep their prize asset. If we value the player highly and the player is intent on staying, then its United who decide how much he is worth.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I'd wager those newbie lads were United fans, hence they did have a case. I wouldn't sell him for 30 and I honestly couldn't give a feck if anyone's interested and how much could he table.

I've seen inferior players going for that sum in nowadays market anyway so it's not that far-fetched whichever way you look at it. Taking everything into account: age, room for improvement, the talent's that already there AND the attitude - one wouldn't be an idiot to bid 30 million for him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
My grandpa once taught me that the reason diamonds are so bloody expensive isn't that they're rare, or that it takes a lot of work to extract them, or that people generally find them nice and useful - but simply and solely because there are vain mugs around who are willing to piss away their money on them.

The exact value, in monetary terms, of anything doesn't even depend on the general demand - just on the particular nature of the mug who happens to fancy himself in demand. Just look at Andy Carroll.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Missing out will give him a rest and fire him up for the season ahead. It's a positive.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's a 30 million pound player according to lots of newbies.
Alongside Alaba, probably best young fullback in the world, but yeah, I don't see anyone paying 30 million pounds for fullback, no matter how good he is.
And saying that, I don't think we would sell him for 30 million pounds either(weird logic I know).

Except for Real Madrid of course, they paid more then 30 millions(something like that) for backup fullback. :lol:

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
So he's a 30 million pound player then?
It's immaterial until someone actually offers something, like you say. Personally, I'd be pretty disappointed if we lost Rafael at this stage even for £30m. That's not to say that isn't good money for a full back, but to just lose him now for anything other than a completely ridiculous sum would be frustrating. He's one of the best players we have already so 30m just doesn't cut it.

If he were a similarly talented player playing in pretty much any other position, I imagine there wouldn't be too much to debate on this issue. It's a similar situation with David De Gea in that you could pose the same question and receive the same replies concerning the relative value of goalkeepers. It's just the way it is; what stands though is that they are two of the best young players in world football. Going further than that, you could say they're already up there with the best given the season they've both had.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I find it very sad that we're taking an average 26 year old midfielder as our backup RB simply because the fans and the CBF can't get over a mistake Rafael made in the Olympics. That's Brazil for you though.

Why no Ramires either?
Scolari wasn't impressed with his attitude last time he was called up for Brazil apparently.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
So he's a 30 million pound player then?
Why are you trying to bait people into saying he's a 30m pound player? :lol:

It would not be unrealistic if someone offered 20m+ and secured his signing. But with the circumstances and in the real world it's not really going to happen.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul
It's always expressed as 'this player is shit' and then '[Arsenal alternative in that position] is better'.

I'd argue there is an irrational element to saying that a player who has consistently scored against them (like Park) is terrible.
Where have Grinner or any of the other arsenal fans said that their player is better?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
It's always expressed as 'this player is shit' and then '[Arsenal alternative in that position] is better'.

I'd argue there is an irrational element to saying that a player who has consistently scored against them (like Park) is terrible.
Wasn't that more of a Pete thing? He always had a strange hatred for Park and Fletcher. Can't say I've seen the same attitude from the other Arsenal fans on the Caf.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Not a bad thing that he has been left out of the Brazilian squad. Gives him a nice long rest over the offseason and he will likely come back next season looking to prove something which should only help United.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Its disappointing for him, We know how passionate he is and no doubt he would try everything possible to win for Brazil.

Ok sure the Olympics didnt quite go to plan, and I suppose they've made him a scapegoat, but like others have mentioned its their loss.

On the utd side, im glad he can now have a proper rest and full pre season, he didnt get that last year and look how good he has been.

Regarding the 30M debate, there is only 1 full back i would consider trading him with, and thats Lahm. Nobody else out there is better than him IMO. 30M would be nice and all, but Rafa bleeds red, he will be here a long time and could be a record appearance setter if he carries on the way he is.

Amir

Happy he's getting a rest, but he must feel gutted. What with a World Cup in Brazil coming up in a year as well. Hopefully he does so well next season they can't ignore him anymore.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
It's good for us that he isn't being used for Brazil, but I just hope that he won't leave in the future just so he can get more attention and be selected.

Brightonian

It's good for us that he isn't being used for Brazil, but I just hope that he won't leave in the future just so he can get more attention and be selected.
He's first choice for Manchester United. Where is he going to go to show more than that?

The attitude from the Brazilian management is ridiculous, though. He had one poor performance in the final, amongst a number of poor performances in their team, and suddenly he's at fault for them not winning the tournament? He was a big part of why they got to the final at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.