Rafael da Silva: Van Gaal called me and said "You can leave. The meeting lasted 1 minute"

MJJ

Each to their own but I find it hard to fathom how you can come to that conclusion, I enjoyed watching LVG matches for the most part and actually controlling games, imposing ourselves on the opposition, beating the good teams. It’s a shame that December finished him and the fans didn’t really give him a break-i would have liked to have seen a third year if Jose wasn’t available.
:eek::eek: I nearly quit watching football because of him.

GarrinchaNZ

:D

Always liked Rafa he was a good player for us and loved playing for United. He deserved better than being treated like crap by LvG in his last season here.
Totally agree with you! Rafa was a good player...LVG just an arrogant twat!

stevoc

Don't get me wrong I loved the kid, he 100% bought into what playing for Manchester United meant, but he was far too inconsistent(up for the big games, sometimes too much, and for the lesser games playing his own game which isn't ideal as the position requires discipline), and I think SAF persevered with him so long because he had this romantic idea that he(Rafael) and Fabio(who was by far the better youth footballer of the two)would follow the Neville bros and become United's full-back pairing for United for a decade, or more

That, and the fact we were putting a lot of effort into scouting/recruiting the best 18/19 year olds in Brazil at the time, and having the Twins regularly involved in the first team would've helped in that.

He was definitely inconsistent at times under Ferguson but given his age back then thats to be expected, he was what 21-22 when Fergie retired. In Fergusons final season he was largely injury free, and he was becoming very consistent in terms of performance. If Ferguson had stayed on would his career have panned out differently maybe, most likely the injuries would have came back and hindered him again.

But when he was at his best in my opinion he was the best Right Back United's had since Neville. As you say he really was a proper Manchester United player.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
And the reason is ? Please enlighten me

Chicharito loved the club and never complained when being rotated and used as a super sub by Sir Alex .
It was being treated like a dog by LVG that finally finished him.
If I remember correctly we let him go for peanuts as usual then never replaced him and went into the following season with no cover at striker .
Didn't do so shabby in Germany as I recall and let's face it everyone struggles at West Ham it's compulsory!
Oh right, so it was LvG's fault was it ? Not that he was found out.

The fact is the lad came into the game late, realised he had an aptitude for scoring goals, was reasonably quick, but had nothing else to his game, fine if you're going to build your team around him, but....

The point I was making, as i'm sure you know is, that he's at West Ham, for a reason, and it's not because he likes blowing bubbles ;)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
He was definitely inconsistent at times under Ferguson but given his age back then thats to be expected, he was what 21-22 when Fergie retired. In Fergusons final season he was largely injury free, and he was becoming very consistent in terms of performance. If Ferguson had stayed on would his career have panned out differently maybe, most likely the injuries would have came back and hindered him again.

But when he was at his best in my opinion he was the best Right Back United's had since Neville. As you say he really was a proper Manchester United player.
I've no doubt whatsoever that if SAF was still the Manager that Rafael would still be in the team, and with a break with injuries he would have been as good as anybody out there now, but I can understand why the Managers that followed the great man thought differently.

Totally agree, he was the best right-back we've had since Johnny Sivebæk ;)

ghagua

Respect? Van Gaal is the reason we’re still so crap. He instilled such a garbage mentality and style even Mourinho had to talk about letting go of that.

Moyes was just incompetent he had no plan just cross it and attack it but there was no lasting damage. Van Gaal destroying all of our attacking mentality. Got rid of top players and replaced them with garbage.

Van Gaal is 90 percent of the reason why we are where we are. He deserves more criticism than what he gets. He set us back so far the Mourinho needed a whole season just to undo that.
Yea not sure how Moyes did bigger damage than LvG. Moyes brought 2 players who the current manager is still using and did not sell off any players. Moyes was just out of his depth.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I rate Valencia highly.

But Rafael was better.

He was a genuine outlet and would often lead the team in touches in a game. He didn't hoof.

He never should have left. Moyes, LVG and even Jose have fecked up their transfers. Jose has been the best With transfers out of all hence the better record and trophy count.

GarrinchaNZ

LVG 52.43% (win %)
Moyes 52.94% (win %)

Both managers failed to live up to the hype...however, LVG = abject failure of watchable football.

Agree with previous poster who said they almost stopped watching Man Utd after 35 years. First time I'd ever just watch the highlights as I couldn't stand watching an entire game under his watch!

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved Rafael - I have a signed shirt of his at home, which is of course worth the square toot of sweet FA. When he was fit and on form, he was brilliant. He certainly would be an improvement of what we have since he was sold (that’s not saying much at all) - but never played enough games. Loved him at utd.

izec

Van Gaal knew. He wasnt good enough to start and injury prone, but people wanted him here cause he gave it all. Never understood the love he gets on here. Didnt think once about him since he left, similar to Evans. We need to get more deadwood out, especially in defense.

red4ever 79

Van Gaal knew. He wasnt good enough to start and injury prone, but people wanted him here cause he gave it all. Never understood the love he gets on here. Didnt think once about him since he left, similar to Evans. We need to get more deadwood out, especially in defense.
100% this. No time for sympathy in football. Rafael was a trier. That was about it. Rojo, Jones and Darmian have 2 weeks to be shifted

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Evans would have been a solid addition to our defence these last few years. There’s a reason he was linked with the likes of City and Arsenal.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If van Gaal knew, then he wouldn't have signed Darmian in his replacement. Shouldn't have sold Rafael or Evans for that matter, both of them would've been valuable squad members.

Kostov

LVG knew feck all, that moron couldn't find the back of his head. If he knew he wouldn't have sold Rafael just to replace him with Darmian.

izec

Evans would have been a solid addition to our defence these last few years. There’s a reason he was linked with the likes of City and Arsenal.
He would be a squad player at both clubs, here too. Completely lost it under van Gaal, there was a short time where he made one heavy mistake every game he played. Seeing as Arsenal and City play out from the back at every opportunity now, i dont think he would do well in that kind of system.

marktan

This is what baffles me, sometimes it feels like people don't actually watch our matches.

Did you not watch the 12/13 season? He was great. He was technically very gifted from a young age with the ball, very good at defending 1 on 1, and imo could've become one of the right back greats if he'd come to us 10 years earlier under SAF. He still looks good when I watch him for Lyon in the CL/Europa.

Van Gaal was an idiot. Vardy being a twat against him = no more chances. Sad really.

izec

If van Gaal knew, then he wouldn't have signed Darmian in his replacement. Shouldn't have sold Rafael or Evans for that matter, both of them would've been valuable squad members.
LVG knew feck all, that moron couldn't find the back of his head. If he knew he wouldn't have sold Rafael just to replace him with Darmian.
Darmian was a good addition in theory, cheap and Italian international. Could play on both sides and also flexible as a wingback or fullback. Completely disappointed though, but many people approved of his signing at that time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He would be a squad player at both clubs, here too. Completely lost it under van Gaal, there was a short time where he made one heavy mistake every game he played. Seeing as Arsenal and City play out from the back at every opportunity now, i dont think he would do well in that kind of system.
That’s true. He really struggled with the switch to 5 at the back. All our defenders did. Which would make you question Van Gaal’s reputation as a great training ground coach. Since then he’s established himself as one of the better CB’s in the Premier League and would have been a solid addition to our squad these last few years instead of, say, Blind or Rojo.

izec

This is what baffles me, sometimes it feels like people don't actually watch our matches.

Did you not watch the 12/13 season? He was great. He was technically very gifted from a young age with the ball, very good at defending 1 on 1, and imo could've become one of the right back greats if he'd come to us 10 years earlier under SAF. He still looks good when I watch him for Lyon in the CL/Europa.

Van Gaal was an idiot. Vardy being a twat against him = no more chances. Sad really.
Rafael wasnt good enough under van Gaal and injury prone. Plus he wouldnt have survived Jose either. Once Fergie was gone, his United career was pretty much too. Lyon is his level

sunama

Baghdad Bob
... I enjoyed watching LVG matches for the most part and actually controlling games, imposing ourselves on the opposition, beating the good teams. It’s a shame that December finished him and the fans didn’t really give him a break-i would have liked to have seen a third year if Jose wasn’t available.
I'm actually speechless.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If LVG effectively sacked Rafael in a meeting which lasted 1 minute - I think that sucks.
If I get the can or asked to start applying for other jobs (ie. you are going to get fired, if you stay here), I'd at least like to be treated with some dignity.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
LvG knew feck all. He simply didn't like Brazilians.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That’s true. He really struggled with the switch to 5 at the back. All our defenders did. Which would make you question Van Gaal’s reputation as a great training ground coach. Since then he’s established himself as one of the better CB’s in the Premier League and would have been a solid addition to our squad these last few years instead of, say, Blind or Rojo.
The Pulis effect. Sitting deep and defending in numbers makes even the most average defenders look good.

Obviously Evans is talented but he was never top quality. It's a shame City didn't sign him as it would have been a big error IMO.

el3mel

Loved him. He was unbelievable in SAF last season. Got sold in the right time though, no complaints.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Rafael or Darmian? I know who I'd pick. The lad had cojones.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Funny because both Evans and Rafael would improve us right now, considering we have dross like Darmian and Rojo playing. Even Evans over Jones or someone.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Ah the ol' van Gaal must be racist stick.

Rafael just isn't that good.
Nor was Schweinsteiger, Memphis, Darmian, Rojo, Shaw et al.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...ed-full-back-rafael-da-silva-talks-to-espn-fc

"When it was announced that Van Gaal was taking over, four or five people, including players, called me to say that he doesn't like Brazilian players," Rafael told ESPN. "They pointed out what had happened with Rivaldo at Barcelona, but I didn't believe it."

DBT85

Rafael was I think 1 of the 2 players that we cleared out post Fergie that I wish had stayed.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Rafa was one of those average players that SAF made look good.

Loved his energy and his passion for the club though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It is not that he doesnt like Brazilians per se, but how they view and live football, most of them at least. He would hate Neymar thats for sure. But someone like Fernandinho or Filipe Luis wouldnt be an issue
Possibly, although its hard to say he knew what he was doing given the transfers he approved. (Martial being the only notable exception).

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Darmian was a good addition in theory, cheap and Italian international. Could play on both sides and also flexible as a wingback or fullback. Completely disappointed though, but many people approved of his signing at that time.
Yes many approved, but we aren't paid good money to authorise the signings, it'll still be counted as a failure on his part.