Rafael da Silva: Van Gaal called me and said "You can leave. The meeting lasted 1 minute"

SambaBoy

Definitely wasn't average in his time at United. He was always a talented prospect who struggled with injuries and consistency. In SAF last season, it all seemed to come together, he wasn't missing games through injury and he was the best RB in the Prem. At the time he was still very young and looked to be improving and becoming one of the mainstays of the team. Obviously SAF then left, and he seemed affected by the change and never really adapted under Moyes.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yea a few lazy shits who happen to be Brazilian aren't favoured by him and of course its racism. Only answer really. What with being a massive racist and all he probably just thought Hernandez, Zaha, Welbeck, Evans, Nani etc. were all just Brazilians.
He doesn't have to be a racist to not like Brazilians - he could simply not like Brazilians because his past experiences with them weren't particularly positive.

Just look at some of the idiotic views some here have about us being players from Argentina - "We have the worst luck with Argies, therefore player x from Argentina shouldn't be considered".

It could be as simple as that for LvG and Brazilians.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This is what baffles me, sometimes it feels like people don't actually watch our matches.

Did you not watch the 12/13 season? He was great. He was technically very gifted from a young age with the ball, very good at defending 1 on 1, and imo could've become one of the right back greats if he'd come to us 10 years earlier under SAF. He still looks good when I watch him for Lyon in the CL/Europa.

Van Gaal was an idiot. Vardy being a twat against him = no more chances. Sad really.
Yup. I’d have him even now

Smores

He was better than any of the fullbacks we've had since thats for sure. Injuries and two shite managers really did a number on his career.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Van Gaal knew. He wasnt good enough to start and injury prone, but people wanted him here cause he gave it all. Never understood the love he gets on here. Didnt think once about him since he left, similar to Evans. We need to get more deadwood out, especially in defense.
100% this. No time for sympathy in football. Rafael was a trier. That was about it. Rojo, Jones and Darmian have 2 weeks to be shifted
This is a weird conclusion to reach since I seem to recall LVG having to resort to using half the reserve and youth team players as make shift right backs in his second season, due to leaving himself with absolutely no one competent to play there in the first team squad. Donald Love, Borthwick-Jackson, Valera, Mensah, Tuanzebe etc.

This also played a pretty significant part in us losing to Liverpool in the Europa league, as well as failing to finish in the top four.

I'm not sure Rafael would have ever been our first choice right back long term, as he never seemed to be able to stay fit or cut out the maniac moments, but he'd certainly have been very useful indeed to have around at the time. Even now we are playing Darmian there and a 30 something right winger (although I don't have too many complaints with Valencia apart from his age).

Crimson King

This is a weird conclusion to reach since I seem to recall LVG having to resort to using half the reserve and youth team players as make shift right backs in his second season, due to leaving himself with absolutely no one competent to play there in the first team squad. Donald Love, Borthwick-Jackson, Valera, Mensah, Tuanzebe etc.

This also played a pretty significant part in us losing to Liverpool in the Europa league, as well as failing to finish in the top four.

I'm not sure Rafael would have ever been our first choice right back long term, as he never seemed to be able to stay fit or cut out the maniac moments, but he'd certainly have been very useful indeed to have around at the time. Even now we are playing Darmian there and a 30 something right winger (although I don't have too many complaints with Valencia apart from his age).
I just wish the fecker could cross. Put Trippier's right foot on Valencia and you'd have a fine fullback.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I liked Rafael when he was here.

But the fact that he can't get a move to a bigger club than Lyon at 28 says a lot.

freeurmind

weak willed
Loved his passion and energy, brought real dynamism to the attacks. Struggled with injuries but sad to hear he was so unceremoniously dumped.

Kag

Loved him. Of all the players that Ferguson leaving affected, he may have just been the most pronounced.

He cracked it. He was fit and firing and was responsible for so much of our football down the right flank. Injury disrupted him during Moyes' era (as well as that bloke's stupidity) but he performed poorly during his few opportunities under Van Gaal and never really got a chance after that.

He was so 'United', though. If we had an 18 year old Rafael coming through the blocks now we'd be unbelievably excited. I'd back Mourinho to make a player out of him too, actually.

Bwuk

We got rid of him and none of his replacements have been as good.

Loved Rafael. Wish he was still here.

Inter Yer Nan

Loved him. Of all the players that Ferguson leaving affected, he may have just been the most pronounced.

He cracked it. He was fit and firing and was responsible for so much of our football down the right flank. Injury disrupted him during Moyes' era (as well as that bloke's stupidity) but he performed poorly during his few opportunities under Van Gaal and never really got a chance after that.

He was so 'United', though. If we had an 18 year old Rafael coming through the blocks now we'd be unbelievably excited. I'd back Mourinho to make a player out of him too, actually.
Hopefully Dalot is that kid.

It's been frustrating that since Fergie has left we've basically had a back four that "can do a job" made to look better then then really are due to a special goalkeeper. We've had next to no threat from the full-back positions.

the_irish123

I remember back in like 07 Fabio was this legendary U15 player and Rafael was the average one that came in the package. But Fabio has had a hard time maintaining a career and Rafael won premier leagues as a starter and played the olympics etc. Fergie loved him and I remember how mad he got at Bayern for harassing the ref to send him off. We would’ve won that year vs Inter imo. At the time I wasn’t as mad because we made deep runs every yeaR.. had no idea this drought would happen =\

Gazza

Saw him score one of the best goals I’ve ever seen live, at Loftus Rd vs QPR

Scored some great goals for Utd away from home, at Liverpool and Arsenal too

Tarrou

I don't care what anyone says Rafael was great and Van Gaal was a feck-wit.

el3mel

Iirc he was getting injured a lot by the time he was sold. Basically starting the season on fire then got Injured and never show up again for the rest of the season. His defensive side was getting more and more shaky.

He was phenomenal in SAF last season but he was sold at the right time. No regrets at all.

The only problem was us fecking up his replacements, not that we sold him.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Red tinted specs, nice lad but he was average as feck.

He's not exactly set the world on fire since leaving now has he, lets be honest.

MuFc_1992

He's not exactly set the world on fire since leaving now has he, lets be honest.
Players can be a good fit at one club but struggle to do well at other clubs. Rafael was an exciting attacking fullback who was a bit suspect defensively but could do the job well when motivated properly.

Lj82

I remember back in like 07 Fabio was this legendary U15 player and Rafael was the average one that came in the package. But Fabio has had a hard time maintaining a career and Rafael won premier leagues as a starter and played the olympics etc. Fergie loved him and I remember how mad he got at Bayern for harassing the ref to send him off. We would’ve won that year vs Inter imo. At the time I wasn’t as mad because we made deep runs every yeaR.. had no idea this drought would happen =\
I remember reading that while Fabio was catching all the attention at the youth tourney, partly because he was scoring a lot of goals even as a wing back, the Utd team actually thought Rafael was the better player. Think it was the youth coach Eric Harrison who said this.

Renegade

Tbf if I remember correctly didn’t Fabio have one good run with us in the lead up to the champions league final and started it too.
As for Rafa, quality player. I don’t understand how people watched 12/13 and have the opinion he was rubbish. Only behind RVP and Carrick as best player that season in my opinion. Injuries and only injuries stunted his progression.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Saw him score one of the best goals I’ve ever seen live, at Loftus Rd vs QPR

Scored some great goals for Utd away from home, at Liverpool and Arsenal too
Oh mate that Liverpool one :drool:

sajeev

He contributed more to the 2012-13 season than Gary Neville ever contributed to any season. If you were to look at their contributions objectively Rafael is easy ahead, and Fergie mentioned the twins while talking about talented players he managed in around 2011, along with a lot of others while Neville didn't merit a mention. An inherent British/Irish bias

Shark

@NotShark
He contributed more to the 2012-13 season than Gary Neville ever contributed to any season. If you were to look at their contributions objectively Rafael is easy ahead, and Fergie mentioned the twins while talking about talented players he managed in around 2011, along with a lot of others while Neville didn't merit a mention. An inherent British/Irish bias
Not sure what us Irish have to do with the bias, and why it’s inherent. Weird.

Anyway, I do agree that Rafael was fantastic in that 2011/2012 season. Had a great relationship with Valencia down that right wing and scored one or two beauty’s. I’d kill for a full back like him in our team right now.

I loved Rafael. There’s certainly no need for you comments about Neville, he was fantastic for us, bar the last 18 months due to injuries and time catching up on him (like all players). Sounds like your anti-English mate.

Rubbish. Sorry, but it is. Rafael had a great season or two with us but you either don't like Neville or didn't watch him play for us. He was brilliant when he used to combine with Beckham down the right.

Reiver

I really liked the guy but don't remember being too upset when we sold him.
What I liked about him is that he seemed to enjoy playing for Man Utd. Wish I saw more of that.