Rafael's red card

Goooose

Tinted specs? I'm just remebering back to when football was a physical game instead of the watered-down, non-contact shite we've got today.

gza the genius

I didn't think it was that bad but a red is definitely justifiable, I just wish he would've actually made contact if he's going to get sent off for it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Sian Massey saying "yellow card, please" to Webb. That will upset all the ABUs who had been praising her today.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
First game. Charity Shield shares suspensions with reserve games was the outcome of Brainslave being sent of for Chelsea last year.
So the FA will bend the rules re; Scholes, Rooney and he won't play in the Community Shield.

white text

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I didn't think it was a red card in the ground, and I certainly don't think it's one having seen it now.

Everytime you see a player keep the ball in the corner to run down the clock, that same sort of thing happens... how many times has a red card been shown for that

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I didn't think it was a red card in the ground, and I certainly don't think it's one having seen it now.

Everytime you see a player keep the ball in the corner to run down the clock, that same sort of thing happens... how many times has a red card been shown for that
Same, I don't mind Rafael doing that at all, he was one of the only players to show drive and desire in the last 10 mins, really tried to push us forward from right back FFS. For me it was in no way worse than Jones' body check which was more cynical, I really do think Webb was just pissed at everyone from both sides telling him he was shit all game. It was needless from Rafael but feck it, we need to have some more bollocks, we're a bit too placid at times.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
The fact that Sian Massey was right next to it and (as MOTD2 pointed out) said "Yellow Card" ... well, that's my case right there.

RonaldoVII

Only just seen a replay of it, soft red really. You see plenty things worse than that go without a red in a weekend. If he's going to be sent off for violent conduct he might as well mean it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If she was calling for a yellow then it baffles even more. I'd like to know his reasoning for a red. It wasn't dangerous play and he barely touched Luiz (who I don't blame for going down). It was just a lash out. I was expecting a handful of yellows to be handed out. Not a red. Fortunately, I didn't care that much!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Luiz is a twat but if Rafael doesn't kick him he doesn't get sent off. It's that simple.

Definite red. He'll learn. End.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I think I saw a few people arguing he did not really make any contact with Luiz. I dont think thats a fair argument. Even if he attempted to kick the opponent then he should be off. Remember than air kick Viera did on RVN? He was still red carded for that even though he did not make any contact. Its all about the intent.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I think I saw a few people arguing he did not really make any contact with Luiz. I dont think thats a fair argument. Even if he attempted to kick the opponent then he should be off. Remember than air kick Viera did on RVN? He was still red carded for that even though he did not make any contact. Its all about the intent.
People kick each other in almost every game. Especially in the back of the legs... like I said, it's a regular occurance when people are wasting time in the corner.

Quinton Fortune

People kick each other in almost every game. Especially in the back of the legs... like I said, it's a regular occurance when people are wasting time in the corner.
Just because it happens reasonably often it doesn't mean that its acceptable. I mean people get murdered all the time in day to day life, doesn't mean murderers should get lesser sentences on the basis that others don't get caught.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Silly of Rafael. That said, wasn't there much worse two-footed retaliation from Ramires on Jones earlier? What happened with that?

And Luiz is a cnut, that we already knew.

Leg-End

Silly of Rafael. That said, wasn't there much worse two-footed retaliation from Ramires on Jones earlier? What happened with that?

And Luiz is a cnut, that we already knew.
Brushed under the carpet, I thought it was positively cnutish personally.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I thought it was a bit of a harsh red really. I can see the justification for it, but at that point in the game I would have thought a yellow card and a stern talking to would have been the better course of action.

The way he ran off straight away and looked to ignore the ref, did make him look very guilty though and Luiz reaction right under the linesman's nose didn't help things. Hopefully he learns from this

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Just because it happens reasonably often it doesn't mean that its acceptable. I mean people get murdered all the time in day to day life, doesn't mean murderers should get lesser sentences on the basis that others don't get caught.
... What a bizarre comparison.

RK

Never a red card. Rafael's gone for a heavy swipe at the ball, probably aiming to catch Luiz in the process. Nobody really saw the back-heel coming, which made it look worse because the ball had gone.

It's a yellow card like plenty of deliberate fouls every single game.

beergod

Soft. Next time Rafael should boot him into next week. If they are going to give a red for nothing he might as well get a good one.

jem

Yellow at most. If anything, Luiz should've seen red for that elbow he threw. I do love the way Rafael doesn't take any shit.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Yellow at most. If anything, Luiz should've seen red for that elbow he threw. I do love the way Rafael doesn't take any shit.
Total bollocks. He needs to grow up.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
As I said earlier, I only saw a quick glimpse of it from the back of ST2, but I called it right. How the linesman got that wrong I have no idea.
She can't see his face/where he's looking - from the direction Webb was watching it's plain as day that Rafael doesn't give a shit about where the ball is and stops following it shortly before the kick.

Swaters16

Is it just me, but did it look like Webb was going for yellow until the argument broke out, then he went red. It was like 3am and I only saw it once but to me it looked like Webb changed his mind - if so it is abysmal refereeing to be influenced by the players.

Platato

Psst!
Thought the same. Was under the impression he was set to give Rafael a yellow but somehow a red came out.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Luiz is a cnut but he knew right away Rafael will get a red after kicking him back. Rafael is quite immature in handling this type of situation though.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Don't think anyone would've complained if it had been a yellow. Red is far too harsh and I was shocked when Webb brought it out.

If the argument is that regardless of contact they need to punish the intent (which is a fair argument) then Ramires should be getting a far heftier punishment.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Good insight, do explain why? Kicking out is something that a pro should never do. He gave the ref the chance to send him off and he paid for it. I dunno why people think its ok for someone to do something so stupid and reckless and the club let them off because its the end of the year. I'm pretty sure he won't be at the races this week.
God you must have hated Keano.....

You talk about dicipline but I think you'll find Rafaels dicipline isn't all too bad. You're making it sound like he's a psycho. Incidently, did you see Luiz when the ball went out for a throwing wrongly awarded to us? Luiz is my definition of that.

Incidently I think Rafael was beaten by skill as well because I'm sure Luiz backheeled the clearance. I think he wanted to go in strong for the ball and the man but it wasn't all that. If the linesman had any sense, she'd have looked down at the 'injured player' and saw him happy as a pig in shit.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Irrespective of Luiz's reaction (not fussed about all that panto nonsense), Rafael was an idiot for his reaction. A pretty apt end to his final third of the season, I think, as he's fallen below the standards he set in the first two-thirds of the campaign. He'll have to take his medicine.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Got himself sent off, return to his idiotic tendencies.
I'm not sure he'll be allowed to go to the races this week!
Bloody hell, talk about the 'he started it' line of defense
Why are people defending him? It was a fecking stupid thing and he should get internally disciplined by the club. You should never even tempt the ref to give you a card and if you do you can hardly complain at the outcome.

From a guy whos really matured this year it was a real let down.
Good insight, do explain why? Kicking out is something that a pro should never do. He gave the ref the chance to send him off and he paid for it. I dunno why people think its ok for someone to do something so stupid and reckless and the club let them off because its the end of the year. I'm pretty sure he won't be at the races this week.
Yes the ball was there to be won. He didn't get it, then he lashed out and booted luiz in the back of the leg when the ball had gone. Idiotic. You've got your tinted specs on.

I'm not even that bothered how we played today but when you cant trust someone in low pressure it makes me doubt his mind in the big moments
Can you clarify your thoughts on this incident please?

LR7

Never was that a red card.
There is no consistency in these sorts of decisions. It's like yesterday Anichebe got a yellow (and the goal disallowed) for barely brushing Reina, yet Carroll got nothing but a man of the match for brutally clattering over De Gea.