Raheem Sterling vs Joe Gomez

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Football is a cut throat business, if they can't work together Sterling is one of the best forwards in the world and Gomez is Liverpool's fourth choice centre back, so it's pretty obvious who is getting dropped from future squads.

Gomez being in the squad over Dunk, O'Connell and Smalling is ridiculous anyway. The guy can't buy a start.

What happened to form>club Gareth?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah was thinking something along these lines. But naturally everyone is making fun of Sterling for 'fighting like a girl'.

I can imagine the headlines on the front page of the Sun; 'Raheem Girling'
I wouldn't put that beyond the Sun. :lol:

A watch could cause it as well. No way that could be a scratch/nails. He's not Edward Scissorhands, ffs.

EDIT: apparently it was 'caused by Raheem Sterling's jewellery', according to some reports.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It didn’t happen at your work.
It didn’t happen on the pitch.

It’s a scrap between two competitive adults. I’ve been part of successful teams that have had plenty of routine tear ups.

Sterling is fine. Gomez is fine. Southgate handled it perfectly. People need to move on.

Team first. Ego second.

All involved should be commended for handling the fall out so well. It should stand Sterling in good stead. His public response seemed responsible and didn’t read as being PR-person influenced.
It actually seems to be more of one person attacking another.

What specifically should he apologise for though?
I assume he's just on a WUM now, that's not the first time he's posted something daft in this thread.

dbs235

Yeah was thinking something along these lines. But naturally everyone is making fun of Sterling for 'fighting like a girl'.

I can imagine the headlines on the front page of the Sun; 'Raheem Girling'
"Critics have today hit back at the Sun for their headline, scratching isn't just for girls, we want to make it inclusive for everyone"

a123

Supports
Liverpool
Really nasty stuff and were not even your rivals. You lost a match. Get over it. Can’t imagine the vile stuff you must have sprouted when you were winning feck all and United were tearing up the league.
To be honest City fans used to be okay, and at least the older fans are still. It was a working class club. However since the Sheikh money came in they act like teenage spoilt brats now. Their fans base has become toxic, whiny, miserable, even when theyre winning. This is the best period of their clubs history and theyre all negative about everything, foaming at the mouth, over aggressive, insecure, think everything is against them.

And theyre not just negative towards other fans, theyre negative towards each other as well. Its like a competition, which fan can be the most miserable.

Theyve had a £1.2billion net spend and theyre all convinced theyre hard done by.

And the thing is they dont even seem to enjoy being fans anymore. They were happier when they were in the lower leagues. The soul has disappeared from that club.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
To be honest City fans used to be okay, and at least the older fans are still. It was a working class club. However since the Sheikh money came in they act like teenage spoilt brats now. Their fans base has become toxic, whiny, miserable, even when theyre winning. This is the best period of their clubs history and theyre all negative about everything, foaming at the mouth, over aggressive, insecure, think everything is against them.

And theyre not just negative towards other fans, theyre negative towards each other as well. Its like a competition, which fan can be the most miserable.

Theyve had a £1.2billion net spend and theyre all convinced theyre hard done by.

And the thing is they dont even seem to enjoy being fans anymore. They were happier when they were in the lower leagues. The soul has disappeared from that club.

I'm in a bit of a rush, but that's horseshit, you're equating some rabid social media fans with the whole fan base

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's true some are worse than men, absolute savages.
I have been in two fights in my life. One when we were scrapping and he hit his head on a locker and was hurt. Stopped immediately. The other stopped when he bloodied my nose. There was some kind of built-in honour system to stop.

Girls/women though. I've witnessed two up close. Scratching, clawing, hair pulling, kicking, one biting. They had to be pulled apart!

Hughie77

I'd go for Gomez, I think he's a bit bigger than little Richard. What was the dispute about? Who's got the worse Tatts.
Come on boys sort it out, playing in the same International side!

I have been in two fights in my life. One when we were scrapping and he hit his head on a locker and was hurt. Stopped immediately. The other stopped when he bloodied my nose. There was some kind of built-in honour system to stop.

Girls/women though. I've witnessed two up close. Scratching, clawing, hair pulling, kicking, one biting. They had to be pulled apart!
So true, females are vicious! they will literally take off their heels and start hitting you with it! Scratching is the worse especially if they have a full set with stiletto shape tips!

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
I saw a girl wrap her hands on a girl's hair and then put her feet on the girls shoulders and kept pulling until hair came out in clumps.

Funny thing was the bouncers didn't know what to do because pulling her off just helped in pulling the other girls hair out:lol:

Wilt

Southgate knew he was on a safe bet dropping Sterling against Montenegro. If England were playing Germany or a similar top team there’s no chance Southgate would have dropped him. Which makes me wonder how else he would have been punished, if at all.

Bwuk

Southgate knew he was on a safe bet dropping Sterling against Montenegro. If England were playing Germany or a similar top team there’s no chance Southgate would have dropped him. Which makes me wonder how else he would have been punished, if at all.
Agree with this.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Frank Lampard would have suggested a 50k fine.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
People keep saying this, but who cares? It doesn't matter to any of us how they choose to punish him.

Wilt

People keep saying this, but who cares? It doesn't matter to any of us how they choose to punish him.
Well I’d say it does matter if England were playing say Germany and the manager decides to drop the top player, thus severely affecting the whole squad and potentially the final outcome.

Posh Red

Well I’d say it does matter if England were playing say Germany and the manager decides to drop the top player, thus severely affecting the whole squad and potentially the final outcome.
But like you said, he wouldn’t have been dropped if it’s a big game. It’s just savvy management and there is nothing wrong with what he did

DRM

I have no issue with a Liverpool player being booed :p

But in all seriousness, the England fans that did boo him are pathetic! How on earth was any of this Gomez's fault?

a123

Supports
Liverpool
Some booed him but heres a twitter comment from someone that booed him in the stadium.

"I was in the stadium tonight and will admit to booing Gomez. The treatment of sterling has been horrible and I will stick up for England’s best player".

BTW the guy is a Man City fan...

Renegade

Would Gomez have come on when if this incident never happened? Southgate was in a tough situation but he could have just left him on the bench and let this pass.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Would Gomez have come on when if this incident never happened? Southgate was in a tough situation but he could have just left him on the bench and let this pass.
That's what I thought as well. There was no need for Gomez to come on in this game.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Wow he actually got booed:lol:

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
But like you said, he wouldn’t have been dropped if it’s a big game. It’s just savvy management and there is nothing wrong with what he did
He didn't make the decision, a panel of England players did. Southgate didn't want to make any decision. Weakest England manager going.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
He didn't make the decision, a panel of England players did. Southgate didn't want to make any decision. Weakest England manager going.
Probably the most sensible England manager is a generation.