g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Raheem Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm in tears.

Sterling is not worth 50m. But then Shaw wasn't worth 30m as well. The point is, English talent is as rare as good posters in the Caf. Once they are grabbed by big clubs, it is almost impossible to get them. And they won't start dreaming about other league, if they have some success here. Hence the high price.

I'm one of his admirers. I'd swap any of our players (except Smalling) for him.

Last edited:

Andy_Cole

So how's he doing at City? I've not watched much football, other than United this season. Been really busy. But he got on the score sheet today and seems to have fitted into the City team well.

What are everyone's predictions of his City career from how he's started?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Seriously needs to improve his finishing. Buffon did great, sure, but at least one of his chances should have been a goal.

Unlikely lad

His finishing has been dreadful since he broke though at Liverpool. He's got a very weak shot and I think he lacks composure, should really start working on that to take his game to the next level.

predator

Youth NITK
He is very good at dribbling and getting past players with pace but his shooting is weak. He might improve his accuracy or power slightly over the next few years but his technique is stuck with him now. You can't really improve shooting technique too much imo, you either have a great shot or you can improve slightly. He is not a natural striker of the ball which is what separates him from players who are a tier above such as Hazard.

I still think he is good enough for city though. He is by no means a bad player but he can still be a match winner.

Obiorahking_

If Sterling gets his finishing down, he is going to be too dangerous of a player. He has been doing fine so far, he has looked very dangerous with city and has been fairly productive( 1 goal 1 assist). He is very good for a 20 year old. Definitely worth the 50 million.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is he really that much better than Navas? Nowhere near worth half of what they paid for him.

devil in me

Still only 20 years old, and yes he is currently better than a 29 year old Navas.
This is what people forget. He hasn't been brilliant for City, and he has had a couple of poor games, but he's done OK. He's 20 years old. When they signed him I thought that he would be excellent for them in the long run and I still believe that.

Trizy

Just completed a hattrick.

2 yard tap in, good dribbled goal and a 4 yard shot from a save.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought he was shite yesterday, and he's been pretty meh on the whole for city. Bags of potential of course, but people were massively overrating his current level. There really hasn't even been that much different between him and memphis. Both hugely inconsistent, but Memphis' form has been highlighted by the press while Sterling will get loads of slack for being poor despite playing in a great attack because he's english. Both have been poor, but you'd have to say Sterling has a lot more chances to shine. He played well against Bournemouth but that's about it really. Hasn't looked too good or effective apart from that.

Both him and memphis will come good though, they just need time.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I've got a real problem with the way he runs, he looks more freshly bummed than Robben.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Thought he was shite yesterday, and he's been pretty meh on the whole for city. Bags of potential of course, but people were massively overrating his current level. There really hasn't even been that much different between him and memphis. Both hugely inconsistent, but Memphis' form has been highlighted by the press while Sterling will get loads of slack for being poor despite playing in a great attack because he's english. Both have been poor, but you'd have to say Sterling has a lot more chances to shine. He played well against Bournemouth but that's about it really. Hasn't looked too good or effective apart from that.

Both him and memphis will come good though, they just need time.
He is way ahead of Memphis..way ahead , he's been just about decent for City, but Memphis has been quite poor.

And the English press have hardly had a go at Memphis, although that has been helped by Martial's form. People on this forum love underrating City players for some reason, and the excuses we use to defend our players seem to never be used for them. Things like playing for a better team, new teammates, higher expectations are paddled out for someone like Memphis, but we will happily slate others.

thepolice123

Valencia made him suffer yesterday. Could tell he look absolutely knackered from the running up and down the flank. And this is a player who has a suspect endurance.

Eddy_JukeZ

Harsh and too early to say. He's already had two years in the PL. Memphis came from a weaker league.
Don't think it's harsh to say Sterling's a better player than Memphis right now. Maybe in the future that will change though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Glad he's doing well.
Yeah good on him. Had balls to stand up to Liverpool and do what he thought was best for his career.

Even though his success with make City stronger, I also hope he fulfils his potential as world class wing players are always a joy to watch.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I wanted us to sign him but felt he was off limits. Very good player. Always liked him.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He's brilliant. Reads the game well for a tricky wide man. Uses his body well and makes incredible runs.
Probably more of what we need, instead of some one like Depay who shoots a lot, creates less and doesn't go past players as well. But oh well...

City now have pace on both sides of their attack, and this could be vital for them in Europe.
I like Sterling, thought he was treated poorly towards the end of his time at Liverpool, and I also hope he has a good career.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not easy to get your rhythm when your teams down by 2 away from home, a lot of pressure to do everything right and you pretty much have the burden of changing the whole game.

Tough game for him but he'll come good.

EDIT: Interesting how he's shown his best performances when he doesn't have that burden (especially at Liverpool) compared to when he's been relied on.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Not easy to get your rhythm when your teams down by 2 away from home, a lot of pressure to do everything right and you pretty much have the burden of changing the whole game.

Tough game for him but he'll come good.
Give me a break man, we need to stop giving players so many lee-way and excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.