Raheem Sterling

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Sane, Jesus and De Bruyne are genuinely fantastic and get tons of plaudits, but Sterling is relishing a place in the side with next to no pressure on him to deliver, which is allowing him to actually deliver. He’s not got the bottle to become a world class talent for me, who takes the game by the scruff of the neck, but his movement and productivity has come on a long way and under the radar he’s a fantastic player and another constant threat.

How do you mark Sane, Jesus, Sterling out of a game with De Bruyne and Silva both behind them. They’re all performing and that’s making it very difficult for other sides.
Disagree about no pressure on Sterling as Bernardo can play wide right as well as CM. He's not yet nailed down a place but has made some nice little cameo appearances.

Correct about now too many players to man mark out of the game. Too often in the last couple of years some teams have set out to eliminate Aguero and Silva from the match and reduce our threat considerably. Pep spotted this flaw and has now countered it.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
That team just makes me shake my head. It's actually sad what's happening to England. People are blaming the managers, but look at everyone behind the front four? I'd get rid of them and play Loftus-Cheek, Chalobah, Bertrand, and all other younger players who probably couldn't do worse, surely? Just fill the team with the under 23s/21s.
Most those behind the front 4 are decent enough if the manager can get them playing right, no point in playing Dier and Henderson together with a back 3 which is what Southgate does.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
That team just makes me shake my head. It's actually sad what's happening to England. People are blaming the managers, but look at everyone behind the front four? I'd get rid of them and play Loftus-Cheek, Chalobah, Bertrand, and all other younger players who probably couldn't do worse, surely? Just fill the team with the under 23s/21s.
Danny Rose is younger than Bertrand, who is now 28. Are you still living in the year Chelsea won the Champions League? And also yes, they could, and would, do worse.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Danny Rose is younger than Bertrand, who is now 28. Are you still living in the year Chelsea won the Champions League? And also yes, they could, and would, do worse.
Why so hostile? Take a breath or something, mate. Bertrand is a year older than Rose - that difference is not significant. He had been playing excellently and could have done better than Rose on many occasions in my opinion. Also, I can't see how Loftus-Cheek and Chalobah for example could do worse than the midfield deadwood that plays in there for England nowadays.

Last edited:

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
He frustrates the hell out of me. Does so much good stuff then will wait to pass to another player after they get closed down.
I can't watch the guy anymore without noticing the bizarre chicken run he has. One of them things that can never be unseen, like Steven Segal running (YouTube it, it's hilarious)

I still see Sterling as a younger Wright Phillips/Lennon. A lot of talent, just woefully stupid at times.
Got called a racist by someone when I said "he runs like a spider monkey". Did not mention race or colour just an action!

:angel::angel::angel:

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
He frustrates the hell out of me. Does so much good stuff then will wait to pass to another player after they get closed down.

Got called a racist by someone when I said "he runs like a spider monkey". Did not mention race or colour just an action!

:angel::angel::angel:
Lol, he does have the actions of that one in Night at the museum, think that's a capuchin though but pretty similiar. He must have watched a lot of Steven Segal movies as a kid cos he's got a really odd gait when running too. I'm convinced that's how he got fat, he was scared to run through fear of mockery.

It's alright to say Segal runs like a monkey though cos he's white. Well, orange but near enough.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Why so hostile? Take a breath or something, mate. Bertrand is a year older than Rose - that difference is not significant. He had been playing excellently and could have done better than Rose on many occasions in my opinion. Also, I can't see how Loftus-Cheek and Chalobah for example could do worse than the midfield deadwood that plays in there for England nowadays.
Haha sorry if it came across as hostile, it was meant to be tongue in cheek but such a tone can easily be misinterpreted. But yeah, England might be crap yet I don't see how playing even crapper players like Chalobah is going to help.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Haha sorry if it came across as hostile, it was meant to be tongue in cheek but such a tone can easily be misinterpreted. But yeah, England might be crap yet I don't see how playing even crapper players like Chalobah is going to help.
Maybe they'll have something to prove and/or a bit of passion. The drips there usually get a free ride knowing no matter how badly they play they'll still get called up or play.

I'd much rather see us lose giving it a damn good go with lesser known hungrier players with some balls, rather than the usual suspects such as the ones that got knocked out by Iceland who barely broke sweat or seemed to give a shit.

Ain't gonna happen with the King Drip in charge though, he's just another safety first plonker like Hodgson. Team pretty much picks itself based on name and who they play for. He can't even pick a captain he's that inept.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
My apologies! I was like I offended the last remaining loyal fan of this England team! Haha!

My post was probably based more on frustration than any rational assessment in that I'd rather get rid of the current deadwood who seem hopeless game after game once and for all. But I think @Hullyback put it much better than I could in the above post!

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Since Pep took charge Sterling has played 58 games and he has 18 goals and 23 assists. That's pretty impressive stuff altogether. He seems like real confidence player and Pep has obviously instilled some serious confidence into him. I always felt he came in for some pretty vile abuse and criticism at times and he's proving his doubters wrong.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Since Pep took charge Sterling has played 58 games and he has 18 goals and 23 assists. That's pretty impressive stuff altogether. He seems like real confidence player and Pep has obviously instilled some serious confidence into him. I always felt he came in for some pretty vile abuse and criticism at times and he's proving his doubters wrong.
That is what happens when you shit on Liverpool . The Liverpool biased media run a hate campaign against you.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's the most creative player in England NT, and should be an absolute starter. I've always impressed with his intelligent play when in lion shirt.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Disagree about no pressure on Sterling as Bernardo can play wide right as well as CM. He's not yet nailed down a place but has made some nice little cameo appearances.

Correct about now too many players to man mark out of the game. Too often in the last couple of years some teams have set out to eliminate Aguero and Silva from the match and reduce our threat considerably. Pep spotted this flaw and has now countered it.
Countered it :lol:

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I just thought it was a piss funny way to describe it

It's like Joe the Billionaire spotted a leak in his shed

So he countered it by bulldozing it down and having a contractor build a castle
Like spending 45m on one player so that the most expensive player in the world can perform?

saivet

City's top goal scorer so far this season with 10 goals so far. Wonder how long he can keep up his good goal scoring record.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Wasn't even the goal tonight, he was a constant threat - creating space, providing scoring chances and high pressing to win balls back. Definite change in his game

saivet

Wasn't even the goal tonight, he was a constant threat - creating space, providing scoring chances and high pressing to win balls back. Definite change in his game
I didn't watch the game but that's good to hear. I hope England can make good us of him at the WC.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yeah he's having a hell of a year. Already equalled the 10 goals he scored in 33 appearances last year in only 9 appearances this year.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
It's going to annoy me when players like him, Alli and Kane go back to playing like shit come World Cup time.
Easy to forget that they play with much better plays on a weekly basis than the sum of the parts of the England squad though. Throw two of De Bruyne, Silva or Eriksen into that England side alongside Alli, Kane and Sterling and I’m sure they’d all look fantastic.

Kops 'n' Robertsons

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
It's going to annoy me when players like him, Alli and Kane go back to playing like shit come World Cup time.
With the right manager for England these players could hit the heights they do for the club.

It’s a bit strange how much the English NT has underperformed historically though they are winning pretty much everything at the U-age levels!!

All depends on who is at the helm at next couple of tournaments - Though England’s manager selection policy reminds me of that scene in South Park where they cut the head off a chicken and go with whatever it lands on.

Jose would be a good choice for England if they could afford him for the Qatar World Cup.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I was about to post how shit Sterling was in Champions League thread, then he scored!
Still think he's not special, slightly better then Walcott but even I can imagine Walcott would perform better in current City form.

Last edited:

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I was about to post how shit Sterling was in Champions League thread, then he scored!
Still think he's not special, slightly better then Walcott but even I can imagine Walcott would perform better in current City form.
This can only be said by someone who’s not watched Sterling at all this season, and has never seen Walcott. They’re worlds apart.

Jaybomb

He’s a good player and to be honest I wish we signed him instead of Memphis Depay that summer.