Raheem Sterling

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
There are some really stupid comments in here about Sterling.And it's usual cliches you hear about pacey wingers.

He was probably their best player last season. If he continues performing at this rate, I think he'll be the best English player in the league over Kane and Alli.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
that if he was to be world class at his age he would need to be starting every game in the england side, its simple to see.
Well England are shit. It's probably better for city that Sterling doesn't play for the national side. The regressive tactics used by Southgate would probably result in him getting worse.

Walters_19_MuFc

that if he was to be world class at his age he would need to be starting every game in the england side, its simple to see.
He ought to be starting every game for England, in my opinion. How Oxlade, or even Lallana starts ahead of him is beyond me.

Manager's preference, though, I suppose.

Giroud starts ahead of Lacazette and Mbappe, and the former doesn't even get in to Arsenal's starting XI, which is vastly inferior to France, in my opinion.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Missed a sitter but (just) scored one, he's playing well at the moment but still needs to improve his final ball but his runs and positioning on the pitch have improved loads

Edit

Just seen his goal again and the pass and his movement to get the pass back of Silva is excellent, also he's learned to stand still in the box whereas at one time he's have just ran to the near post

Last edited:

Treble

Can't believe he has scored 6 goals already. He'll slow down but 15 goals in all compets seems reasonable to expect.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
This was his main criticism, end product and you can tell he's worked hard on it. Great to see an English player that actually looks on track to fulfil his potential for once.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Do people remember when City signed him and some Liverpool fans genuinely claimed Jordan Ibe was just as talented as him :lol: pretty sure there were a couple on this forum too

Santoryo

ripping the reward
All I've seen from him are tap ins goals. The services have been good to allow him to score those tap ins.

AshRK

Don't know why but never been his fan. Nothing excite me in his play as such. When I see him and sane play together , I can see sane has tremendous talents in comparison to sterling who seems like a one trick poney. Not saying he is crap or anything but never understand the fuss about him.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Good output but still dont think he was as good as at Liverpool, his creating, creativity, dribbling and playmaking looked better. He just looks like a tidy hardworking winner benefitting of City being in great form.
He's definitely improved since his Liverpool days, but I understand what you're saying, especially about his playmaking, but that's down to the different roles he's got to play at City given we have better players in that sphere. I think most of it is just due to the fact he was an unknown when he broke through at Liverpool which made him seem more exciting whereas now you watch Sterling and think 'he cost £50m, he should be playing well' so even if he has a good game unless he's scoring or assisting it's nothing noticeable.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He's definitely improved since his Liverpool days, but I understand what you're saying, especially about his playmaking, but that's down to the different roles he's got to play at City given we have better players in that sphere. I think most of it is just due to the fact he was an unknown when he broke through at Liverpool which made him seem more exciting whereas now you watch Sterling and think 'he cost £50m, he should be playing well' so even if he has a good game unless he's scoring or assisting it's nothing noticeable.
Yeah that certainly has to do with it, but at Liverpool he was also England's best player and main playmaker at the World Cup 2014 O think. He was genuinely very good,now he is very decent with good positioning and finishing I think, also very tidy on the ball. He actually reminds me of Mata whilst he was more of a Coutinho previously.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
Excellent player.

Criminally underrated/disliked by the English.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Sane, Jesus and De Bruyne are genuinely fantastic and get tons of plaudits, but Sterling is relishing a place in the side with next to no pressure on him to deliver, which is allowing him to actually deliver. He’s not got the bottle to become a world class talent for me, who takes the game by the scruff of the neck, but his movement and productivity has come on a long way and under the radar he’s a fantastic player and another constant threat.

How do you mark Sane, Jesus, Sterling out of a game with De Bruyne and Silva both behind them. They’re all performing and that’s making it very difficult for other sides.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Raheem has the same league goals as Kane so far and more assists. He left Liverpool though so he'll still be booed up and down the country.

Robbie Boy

I like him and think he's been very good since Peps arrival. Think his best league scoring season is 9 so he's on course to decimate that tally.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He was unreal for the first couple of months last season too then dropped off.

Still, he is a real nifty player and if he can sustain his form then will be a major asset to City.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Excellent player, proving the Liverpool fans who said Ibe was just as good completely and utterly wrong. Mind you they're the same ones who wanted us to sell Coutinho and throw Woodburn in.

I don't think he'll ever be the main man, he was magnificent in the no10 role for us in 13/14 with two world class strikers ahead of him and Gerrard/Coutinho behind him. He's been fortunate in the sense he's played in some very good sides and as much as he's despised for it, made some smart career moves. Playing for this city side suits him and his strength perfectly.
He can be a lot more dynamic creatively of course, but he doesn't need to be for them. It does mean he'll get a bit of stick for it with England though. I'm not entirely convinced by him on the wing, The closer in field he is , the better he is.

Walters_19_MuFc

In a team full of top class players, Sterling continues to shine, and whenever I watch City, he always looks like thier most lively player, yet for some reason he's not rated as highly aa Sane and Jesus, for example.

To me, Sterling is a phonomenal player. One of greatest attributes is his great, intelligent movement, which is why the likes of De Bruyne, Silva and co. must love playing with him.

6 goals and 2 assists in 5 apps is incredible. Like I said before, if he can start scoring 15/20 league goals a season, he'll be up there with Sanchez, Hazard, etc.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's on the end of many chances but his overall play is very underwhelming and I'm sticking to that opinion. City at the moment are a chance creating machine.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
If he could learn to finish, and I don't mean sitters he'd become a fantastic player.

I still can't watch him without laughing at the way he runs though, as immature as it is it just tickles me. He's the one City player you can watch from far away with no commentary and instantly pick him out.

NoPace

He ought to be starting every game for England, in my opinion. How Oxlade, or even Lallana starts ahead of him is beyond me.

Manager's preference, though, I suppose.

Giroud starts ahead of Lacazette and Mbappe, and the former doesn't even get in to Arsenal's starting XI, which is vastly inferior to France, in my opinion.
I think it's just the need for anything that works right away in international football. So few games that a manager doesn't feel comfortable just saying "alright, my 4 building blocks in my front 6 are Mbappe, Griezmann, Pogba and Kante, let's let people fight for the other 2 spots and see who fits best with those 4" when he can qualify with Giroud scoring goals against mediocre defenders.

I wonder if Alli will end up hurting England by being a 10. It wouldn't surprise me if the best lineup they could throw out there with 4 at the back is this:

------Kane---------
Rashford----Sterling
------Lallana-------
Henderson-Dier---

People don't seem to like asymmetrical formations, but Dunga's old Brazil formation might be worth a shot too:

---------Kane----------
Sterling--Alli-----------
-----------------Lallana
----Dier-Henderson----

and just haul Lallana off after an hour of him running himself silly up the right wing.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I think it's just the need for anything that works right away in international football. So few games that a manager doesn't feel comfortable just saying "alright, my 4 building blocks in my front 6 are Mbappe, Griezmann, Pogba and Kante, let's let people fight for the other 2 spots and see who fits best with those 4" when he can qualify with Giroud scoring goals against mediocre defenders.

I wonder if Alli will end up hurting England by being a 10. It wouldn't surprise me if the best lineup they could throw out there with 4 at the back is this:

------Kane---------
Rashford----Sterling
------Lallana-------
Henderson-Dier---

People don't seem to like asymmetrical formations, but Dunga's old Brazil formation might be worth a shot too:

---------Kane----------
Sterling--Alli-----------
-----------------Lallana
----Dier-Henderson----

and just haul Lallana off after an hour of him running himself silly up the right wing.
It's not the best barometer being the best of a poor bunch but Lallana has often been the best player on the park when he's played for England. Watching them without him recently you can see what he brings and what they're missing.

Oxlade definitely should be nowhere near the first team though I definitely agree with that one.

haram

Southgate wouldn't know how to get the best out of Rashford/Sterling/Alli anyway. England will be shite until they have a good manager.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Southgate wouldn't know how to get the best out of Rashford/Sterling/Alli anyway. England will be shite until they have a good manager.
totally agree

don't know why he does setup with something like below, you could swap out Sterling and Ali if they're not your bag for the likes of Llalana or if you want to be more defensive put Trippier in for Walker, or go for a flat back 4 drop Smalling for someone like Winks, Delph, or Loftus Cheek in the centre with Dier, just some fecker who will pass the forward to either the space in behind wings or to Alli and Kane, as long as sideways Jordan isn't in there

------------Butland----------------

----Smalling Stone Jones----

Walker -----------------------Rose

------------Dier------------

Sterling ----Alli--------Rashford

------------Kane-----------------

Classical Mechanic

He is great in a firing team, Liverpool Crystanbul vintage and now baldies brave underdogs. He is no protagonist though, only part of the supporting cast which is why he looks average in an average England side. He doesn't have the character to take a game by the scruff of the neck and affect it.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
totally agree

don't know why he does setup with something like below, you could swap out Sterling and Ali if they're not your bag for the likes of Llalana or if you want to be more defensive put Trippier in for Walker, or go for a flat back 4 drop Smalling for someone like Winks, Delph, or Loftus Cheek in the centre with Dier, just some fecker who will pass the forward to either the space in behind wings or to Alli and Kane, as long as sideways Jordan isn't in there

------------Butland----------------

----Smalling Stone Jones----

Walker -----------------------Rose

------------Dier------------

Sterling ----Alli--------Rashford

------------Kane-----------------
That team just makes me shake my head. It's actually sad what's happening to England. People are blaming the managers, but look at everyone behind the front four? I'd get rid of them and play Loftus-Cheek, Chalobah, Bertrand, and all other younger players who probably couldn't do worse, surely? Just fill the team with the under 23s/21s.

Last edited: