Ralf Rangnick | 2021/22 Interim Manager Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt007a

Is he able to continue training though? Carrington opened up but he has some key players out. I guess training with squad members is better than nothing.
That’s the key question. It sounds like most of the squad have got it currently. Reports we only have 7 first team players available. That means in 2 weeks time we would have the whole squad back and ready to train.

The way things are going I wouldn’t be surprised if games were off until mid January at least.

lloyd2wayne

Is he able to continue training though? Carrington opened up but he has some key players out. I guess training with squad members is better than nothing.
Also Rangnick is a big advocate for video training and analysis so I’m sure even if the team isn’t training he’s sending them tactical videos or even a team zoom call to explain his ideas etc will help in some way.

Stretford_End_17

Ralf has only been in PL for a few weeks and he already wants his 5 subs like Bundesliga ?

I can assure that if it was up to these foreign managers they would turn our English Football into another boring Bundesliga, French league.

5 subs, winter break, psychology, lets remember Bundesliga is playing in empty stadiums and fans ridiculously wear masks, dont listen to them, just do the opposite and you English Football will be fine, you are special, dont turn into another European league.

pascell

Ralf has only been in PL for a few weeks and he already wants his 5 subs like Bundesliga ?

I can assure that if it was up to these foreign managers they would turn our English Football into another boring Bundesliga, French league.

5 subs, winter break, psychology, lets remember Bundesliga is playing in empty stadiums and fans ridiculously wear masks, dont listen to them, just do the opposite and you English Football will be fine, you are special, dont turn into another European league.
fecking hell, what have I just read. Lay off the mulled wine for a bit :lol:

Kaos

Yeah because 5 subs is what makes the other leagues drab. What's wrong with fans wearing masks btw?

MonkeysMagic

Few too many Sherrys I think!

KeanoMagicHat

These foreign managers coming from Bundesliga, what like Klopp and Guardiola, who have helped make it the best league? Also empty stadiums in Germany? It’s one of the best supported leagues in Europe?

Anustart89

Which fans are wearing masks? The ones that are not in the stadium?

mu4c_20le

Calm down there Nigel :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Have we played more than those 45mins against Palace in a way that he wants the team to play? What's going on here?

reddevil702

Need to go away from the 4-2-2-2. We just don't have the midfield players to make it successful. Seems like it's too much change too soon.

Idxomer

Playing too much politics, he needs to drop the two pensioners up top.

saivet

These HT formation changes are a little strange as well.

At Newcastle we played McT on his own in CM in the 2nd half and tonight we had Sancho and then Rashford as LWB in the second half. He's recognising something needs change but his changes have been suspect to say the least.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Not sure how he begins to explain that. However, I would love a coherent explanation of why we pressed Palace and haven't pressed at all since.

RepardReece

Have we played more than those 45mins against Palace in a way that he wants the team to play? What's going on here?
My main question too. Them 45mins were brilliant bar a goal and I can't figure out why we instantly stopped playing like that.

We seem to still have a lot of the crappy traits that we saw week in week out under Ole - such as complacency

Based Adnan

I don't blame the manager for failing with this group of clowns but it does seem like he lacks the bottle to drop players and play to his philosophy.

He needs to play how he wants to play and not try changing his philosophy based on the players he has. If that means dropping big players then so be it. This group has already failed so far.

mu4c_20le

Apparently Wolves haven't won here in 40 years and their manager was five years old or something.

Record breaker.

Idxomer

Greenwood up front, Bruno behind him, with Sancho/Lingard/Martial/Rashford on the sides?
Yeah, that could work. Martial is definitely leaving though.

We need to get back to the original plan before that stupid nostalgia signing.

united for life

i have lots of concerns around what Im seeing. I really don’t understand what we’re playing. I am not buying any of the great tactician anymore; i need to see it to believe it.

he keeps changing formations, even during games. He is playing players out of position. His substitutions are terrible. I feel he always takes off the wrong player. He took off mason today although he was far better than sancho. In previous games, he took off sancho and kept rashford though the former was better. Weird!

what is happening with the midfield. We had none today. Nothing. No link up between the lines.

he dropped the likes of dalot, who was having a good run, for wan bissaka who is below par.

where is the team pressing? He actually dropped fred who is the best at it.

all of this uncertainty and he hasn’t faced any big team. It’s only newcastle, norwich, wolves, burnley so far…

Dan_F

So when do we start pressing? From what I can see it’s exactly the same as under Ole, except Varane is playing to dig us out fairly often.

De Gea is just booting the ball upfield aimlessly. It’s horrible football.

Matt851

His adherence to this God awful system reminds me of moyes trying to raid Everton for fellini and baines. Might be an indication he isn't upto it

spiriticon

I honestly think he has to drop quite a few first teamers for some youth players to stand a chance. A radical refresh with young, fresh players willing to buy into his philosophy and impress. The current team is so jaded and mentally shot from carrying the weight of the United shirt with little success for so long.

The problem is who to drop? Every one of the current first team is a candidate for dropping.

marcus agrippa

Also, what's with this weird sort of mid- to-low block when the opposition have the ball? And then just the front three or four go to press, while the central mids half-heartedly drop off or kinda press-but-not-really? The oppo pass through that and they have all this space to get at our back four?

I saw the same under Solskjaer as well.

Rangnick had better start making decisions that are not like the previous manager's/coaching staff's decisions, or he'll get the exact same results.

Woodenlung

I can understand trying to get Ronaldo and Cavani into the same starting 11, but if he wants that he'll simply never get a side that can press the way he apparently wants to.

The way we've set up is entirely against his beliefs as a coach. He knows we need control in midfield and that neither Fred or McTominay can bring that. But by rotating in Matic we lose the ability to press.

So now we're in a hybrid system that leaves the pressing duties to the wide players and McTominay. But that's giving 3 players the work of 6. So we instead on press at certain instances. Which also doesn't work.

I'd much rather us just go all out with Ronaldo and Greenwood up top and Sancho and Bruno playing behind. Then throw Fred in for Matic. We'll lose the ball often, but also won it back so much more frequently. The starting 11 from tonights game will never work out.

Maroon Devil

The off the ball movement, quality of passing and general link up play is awful.

Everytime our player has the ball, he has no passing options. What we miss most is a Carrick. Someone who is able to dictate tempo from deep, play progressive passes.

Woodenlung

Also, what's with this weird sort of mid- to-low block when the opposition have the ball? And then just the front three or four go to press, while the central mids half-heartedly drop off or kinda press-but-not-really? The oppo pass through that and they have all this space to get at our back four?

I saw the same under Solskjaer as well.

Rangnick had better start making decisions that are not like the previous manager's/coaching staff's decisions, or he'll get the exact same results.
I think it's a compromise for having Ronaldo, Cavani and Matic in the side. None of them have the athleticism to press for an entire game. But I'm the end we're left with the worst if both worlds. We don't press with any intensity from the front and we don't block the midfield gaps.

zurnalist

I still think that the situation is so dire and the mistakes so basic that no manager would have crazy good impact on the side (what formation would make our players to be able to make simple passes?) and I think it's still too early to determine his true level, but yes, I understand the frustration here as well:
*Early subs are good but show the initial mistakes made when planning out the game.
*Weird decisions like playing Cavani in CAM and using a formation that doesn't seem to get the best use out of our players: so many attackers, no creativity whatsoever.
*No gegenpress in sight. Every team is able to break through our press so easily. We are so easy to play against.
*Donny getting no playtime even when the game looks like that... Fred doesnt deserve benching ahead of Matic/McTominay.

acnumber9

We were better under Carrick. 6 games against Crystal Palace, Young Boys, Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley and Wolves and we’ve scored 7 goals. If we’re going to be shite, at least be entertaining. I wouldn’t trust this guy to pick our next manager.

Ace of Spades

We were better under Carrick. 6 games against Crystal Palace, Young Boys, Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley and Wolves and we’ve scored 7 goals. If we’re going to be shite, at least be entertaining. I wouldn’t trust this guy to pick our next manager.
The damning thing is we looked more cohesive and drilled than this. Now we just look clueless, even our counter attacking has turned to shit.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This experimentation with 4-2-2-2 needs to stop.

If you want to try that, you need midfielders in the base of the midfield to be good ball progressors. Get the ball on the turn, look up and release. Otherwise, the formation which it is most effective in - transitions- is being used suboptimally. Secondly, the team needs to press more often to create scenarios where we can break them/ maximize attacking transition scenarios. We just aren't pressing for this scenario to work, especially as it doesnt look like we have a plan B where we pass side to side and wait for an opening.

Add to that, we are not using the side's major strengths. Bruno isn't the most effective in this system. Additionally, Ronaldo-Greenwood are too similar players and hence we are relying on Cavani to play every game and when he doesn't play/plays poorly, we get performances like today/vs Newcastle.

el3mel

Part of me is happy this shit show will force the board to search for a proper manager in summer and won't repeat Ole mistake by hiring Ralf permanently. He's only an interim and shouldn't be anything else.

The problem is still as an interim he's not even doing that well but that's something else. This season is a write off for me personally. I don't want us to feck up next season as well.

diarm

It's early and he has a difficult job, bringing a lazy and arrogant squad around to his way of playing.

But I will say, there have been 3 occasions where we've been playing poorly and 3 times he has taken off Greenwood when there were bigger name players playing worse than he was. That's not a good look for me.

Suggests he's afraid of upsetting the egos. Those same egos will bury him in the end.

Josh 76

Other managers must be laughing at us. Utd are the easiest team to play against in the league. To start 4 4 2 , with Matic and Mctomminy in CM and Ronaldo and Cavani up front, was suicidal.

Status
Not open for further replies.