Ralf Rangnick | Austria manager

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I hope ETH does well so this awful thread can die a quick death.

I can't think of another top team where Rangnick will have supporters after the shitshow he served up. Imagine Arsenal fans defending Ljunberg, Liverpool fans justifying Hodgson or Spurs fans blaming Nuno's era on their players.

This was easily the worst period as a United fan in my 25+ years as a fan, I'm trying to forget Rangnick immediately and look to the future with Ten Hag. I would think most fans should be trying to do the same rather than following Austria's results under a failed manager.
Um, this was 'supposed' to be the Austria thread!

I don't think I've ever seen a situation like this where such a shitty manager has duped a following to this extent. Even after the United thread was closed, the Austria thread has still been dominated by talk of his time here even though he's never coming back. It's insane. :lol:

stevoc

Possibly. Although Ole had us play differently than ETH's, thus his type of players might be different. So after getting a CB, RW, and striker last year, we're still interested to get (possibly) a CB, RW, and striker this summer.
Yeah we played differently under Ole but the positions that need strengthening are the same. Because as I said the striker we signed is 37 now and the CB we signed is injury prone (+Maguire falling off a cliff). So Rangnick's time at United hasn't affected recruitment at all, had Ole stayed as manager until the end of the season I doubt it would have changed Ten Hag's targets.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What I mean by "Rome wasn't built in a day" is that the club seem to be trying to fix everything at once by appointing someone like Ten Hag (will face a lot of circumstances that are new to him, while he tries to implement an extremely ambitious tactical style), while also trying to reorganize the club and rebuild the squad at the same time.
It's looking like a pretty big risk to me and as sort of a down payment they club has already missed out on top four this season. It's a bit like going all-in on hopes and dreams of a long term payoff. I think the much safer choice would have been for the club to appoint Conte, while following a transfer strategy that doesn't commit too heavily on pure "Conte-players".
I would say the club was doing exactly what you're saying, pre Erik ten Hag. The football side was structured in such a way that it required a manager led approach, which meant the manager(s) post Ferguson were tasked with fixing the football side of the club. And they were trying to fix the football side of the club, whilst being allowed their own personal recruitment staff. So it's not really a big surprise to see the club waste huge sums in the last 10 years due to the above reasons.

The difference this time is that the decision to appoint Erik ten Hag was made by the club's Sporting director. And it's the first time in our history that we're going into a new season with a Sporting director/head coach structure on the football side of the club. And the bulk of the work when it comes to reorganising/aligning/streamlining the whole approach on the football side of the club to support Erik ten Hag, will be the job of the sporting director and the big group of people working beneath him in multiple different departments on the football side of the club. And that's something we've failed to do since Ferguson retired.

Conte was the more risky approach for a sporting director imo, and he also doesn't stand up to scrutiny against Erik ten Hag as far as implementing a attacking brand of football. So for a sporting director who has spoken about wanting to implement a real identity on the pitch, which runs like a thread all the way down to the youth teams, as well as overseeing the development of the youth teams where we've got several players in the 16 to 20 age bracket, who could potentially become first team players in the near future, and will need to be developed, it makes no sense to hire Conte. And Erik ten Hag again wins out here against Conte imo. So if we look at United holistically from the first team to the youth, then it's easy to see why a Sporting director would wait for Erik ten Hag rather than opt for Conte.

I do believe under Ed Woodward we end up appointing either Conte or Pochettino.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah we played differently under Ole but the positions that need strengthening are the same. Because as I said the striker we signed is 37 now and the CB we signed is injury prone (+Maguire falling off a cliff). So Rangnick's time at United hasn't affected recruitment at all, had Ole stayed as manager until the end of the season I doubt it would have changed Ten Hag's targets.
It's much easier to assess players on team playing with similar style. But yeh, you're probably correct that ETH didn't learn anything from RR tenure.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I would say the club was doing exactly what you're saying, pre Erik ten Hag. The football side was structured in such a way that it required a manager led approach, which meant the manager(s) post Ferguson were tasked with fixing the football side of the club. And they were trying to fix the football side of the club, whilst being allowed their own personal recruitment staff. So it's not really a big surprise to see the club waste huge sums in the last 10 years due to the above reasons.

The difference this time is that the decision to appoint Erik ten Hag was made by the club's Sporting director. And it's the first time in our history that we're going into a new season with a Sporting director/head coach structure on the football side of the club. And the bulk of the work when it comes to reorganising/aligning/streamlining the whole approach on the football side of the club to support Erik ten Hag, will be the job of the sporting director and the big group of people working beneath him in multiple different departments on the football side of the club. And that's something we've failed to do since Ferguson retired.

Conte was the more risky approach for a sporting director imo, and he also doesn't stand up to scrutiny against Erik ten Hag as far as implementing a attacking brand of football. So for a sporting director who has spoken about wanting to implement a real identity on the pitch, which runs like a thread all the way down to the youth teams, as well as overseeing the development of the youth teams where we've got several players in the 16 to 20 age bracket, who could potentially become first team players in the near future, and will need to be developed, it makes no sense to hire Conte. And Erik ten Hag again wins out here against Conte imo. So if we look at United holistically from the first team to the youth, then it's easy to see why a Sporting director would wait for Erik ten Hag rather than opt for Conte.

I do believe under Ed Woodward we end up appointing either Conte or Pochettino.
I wouldn't say that at all. Mourinho and Van Gaal were washed up coaches, Moyes was hired because of his nationality and Solskjaer because of his playing career. I don't think any of them were comparable to Conte at the time of their hiring.

I also don't think appointing Conte eliminates a DoF model, he seems to have worked that way in Italy under Marotta. Van Gaal did so too at Bayern and Solskjaer surely wasn't in a position to make demands regarding the club's setup. Regardless of who is the current coach it's always and only up to the club to establish a strong management structure.

Sure, if everything works out for Ten Hag he's the better coach. My argument is that things are likelier to work out with Conte, because he's already familiar with working abroad and in the PL and because he won't try to play super ambitious football with a dysfunctional squad and also that United wouldn't have had to write off an entire season.

If we were talking from City's perspective, who have already figured out their heirarchy and who already have a squad that should fit Ten Hag well, then I wouldn't argue for Conte. But when ambition and reality are as far apart as at United it can make sense to take intermediate steps.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I wouldn't say that at all. Mourinho and Van Gaal were washed up coaches, Moyes was hired because of his nationality and Solskjaer because of his playing career. I don't think any of them were comparable to Conte at the time of their hiring.

I also don't think appointing Conte eliminates a DoF model, he seems to have worked that way in Italy under Marotta. Van Gaal did so too at Bayern and Solskjaer surely wasn't in a position to make demands regarding the club's setup. Regardless of who is the current coach it's always and only up to the club to establish a strong management structure.

Sure, if everything works out for Ten Hag he's the better coach. My argument is that things are likelier to work out with Conte, because he's already familiar with working abroad and in the PL and because he won't try to play super ambitious football with a dysfunctional squad and also that United wouldn't have had to write off an entire season.

If we were talking from City's perspective, who have already figured out their heirarchy and who already have a squad that should fit Ten Hag well, then I wouldn't argue for Conte. But when ambition and reality are as far apart as at United it can make sense to take intermediate steps.
Van Gaal and Mourinho might well have been washed up coaches but both didn't want to work with a Sporting director according to reports. And in LVG's case, he wrote in his book about always having the itch to be the all powerful EPL manager, rather than the head coach he was at Bayern.

I'm also not including Moyes in this because he inherited a club that wasn't modernised to today's standards when it came to utilising a scouting network/data analytics etc. But both LVG and especially Mourinho had the opportunity to ask for a DoF type figure but they didn't want to work with one, which not only didn't help them but didn't help the club evolve.

And the comparison isn't with the ones that came before but the one we have now. And the one we have now is a head coach who fits the criteria that our Sporting director has spoke about when it comes to implementing a proactive/attacking brand of football. Ten Hag also won't run away when faced with problems like Conte has at Juve and Inter, and will work towards creating a football team that looks to dominate and not react to the opponent on the counter like Conte.

A decision has been taken to create a identity and not to prolong a style of play that has become a symbol of the club in the last 10 years where we've setup in a low to midblock with safety in numbers to react to the opponent on the counter. Conte represents everything that's been wrong with us in the last 10 years from a footballing pov.

stevoc

It's much easier to assess players on team playing with similar style. But yeh, you're probably correct that ETH didn't learn anything from RR tenure.
Yeah I'd agree but we weren't really playing a similar style to Ajax under Ralf. He reverted more to a similar style as Solskjaer employed after about a month.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
City had already devoted multiple seasons to Guardiola before he even signed the contract.
They must not have devoted enough time since they had to buy him a new defense and goalkeeper.

It's actually funny that Real Madrid fans of all are the ones who disagree on that so strongly. I mean, you guys didn't even sign a replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo and many of your most important players these days took lots and lots of patience to develop.
Real Madrid spent 200 million euros on Eden Hazard and Luka Jovic. In an alternate timeline, 34-year-old Benzema is moving to Lyon this summer, having lost his place to the "Serbian Sniper," and Vinicius is leading Getafe to a Copa del Rey win while on loan.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
They must not have devoted enough time since they had to buy him a new defense and goalkeeper.

Real Madrid spent 200 million euros on Eden Hazard and Luka Jovic. In an alternate timeline, 34-year-old Benzema is moving to Lyon this summer, having lost his place to the "Serbian Sniper," and Vinicius is leading Getafe to a Copa del Rey win while on loan.
Those are facts. But it's also fact that Madrid didn't buy a direct replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo after just winning the UCL and isn't even on the top 20 spenders on transfer fees over the past 5 years or so.

And they also won 5 UCLs with more or less the same key players, replacing Ronaldo with a player they signed as a 16 (?) year old.

Sounds clearly like long term focus for me.

BarstoolProphet

Andreas Weimann, now that's a blast from the past. He even makes lower league players good. What a manager.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I told you lot Rangnick was the truth but none ya listened. You all said "why would we trust that guy who chokes horses?"

Well who's choking who now eh?

mu4c_20le

So this begs the most obvious question.

Why on earth was he rotting away in an office in moscow

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Beating the world champions currently
To be fair it was a severely weakened French team (No Varane, Pogba , Kante or Mbappe from the final for example).

Mbappe has since come on scored and hit the bar.

Austria will be lucky to escape with a draw at this rate.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
To be fair it was a severely weakened French team (No Varane, Pogba , Kante or Mbappe from the final for example).

Mbappe has since come on scored and hit the bar.

Austria will be lucky to escape with a draw at this rate.
He’s managing Austria mate

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Doing pretty well when not managing a bunch of cnuts.

Blackwidow

He has many players in that Austrian team that got trained or still/again are in the Red Bull teams.

mu4c_20le

Seems like they already have a system, no way he implemented everything they are currently doing in 6 days

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
France second team should beat them. No excuses with the starting XI they put out.
I didn't they say that France shouldn't have beaten them (in fact if you watched the game you would have seen that they should have/ were a crossbar away from beating them) I only said that France were missing a lot of Key players.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Doing pretty well when not managing a bunch of cnuts.
Even the best of managers can look like clowns if players down tools and average managers can look like excellent managers if quality players put in a fecking shift and work towards a plan.

Tavern in the town

Even the best of managers can look like clowns if players down tools and average managers can look like excellent managers if quality players put in a fecking shift and work towards a plan.
Top managers don’t ever have players downing tools unless the manager himself is a cnut. Do you seriously think any team under Fergie or Klopp for example would down tools?

mu4c_20le

He's not a PL manager. Austria and Leipzig is his level.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Top managers don’t ever have players downing tools unless the manager himself is a cnut. Do you seriously think any team under Fergie or Klopp for example would down tools?
Jose wasn't a top manager ? Toxic shite players will down tools everywhere, its just that top managers move them out of the club before they start the rot.

He's not a PL manager. Austria and Leipzig is his level.
Our players are not top 4 material let alone challenging or winning silverware.

The players downed tools for ole and rangnick in the space of a few months.

Tavern in the town

Jose wasn't a top manager ? Toxic shite players will down tools everywhere, its just that top managers move them out of the club before they start the rot.

Jose was a top manager. He was also a cnut like I said.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Austria is a good role for him.

They were abysmal in the world cup campaign but also showed at euros getting out of the group and giving Italy a very good game in last 16 they're a mid tier international side so with solid pool of players can certainly qualify for next euros and challenge for 2026 world cup.

It's not really like Rangnick needs to rebuild his reputation that much either given he hasn't been a manager much in last decade anyway. Completely different to Moyes being a bit broken for 3-4 years after leaving Man. United.

Edit: Judging by that clip Austria fans aren't rating the nations league much!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
:lol: :lol:

The hyperbole in here is hilarious.

Fecking hell

Blackwidow

Seems like they already have a system, no way he implemented everything they are currently doing in 6 days
That is what I meant. A lot of his players or about all come from or have played in the Red Bull clubs.

WPMUFC

remember when we tried this for ~40 mins in one game and then all those losers found it tough so they just started calling him "speccs" and mocking someone from his staff because they were American?

But FINALLY, rangnick is gone, the squad is blameless *insert Principal Skinner meme*

stevoc

Which ones?

Infestissumam

it's a really good fit for both Rangnick and our NT. Players like Laimer and Schlager are pretty much made for that type of football, and there's several others who've come through the RB clubs too and know how to execute it. Stylistically, it's a much better fit than United ever was and it's no wonder Rangnick is getting results out of that group already. Fewer divas, more workhorses.