Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincantona

In his press conference, Rangnick said some very simple things and I thought to myself...ha...easier said then done...but apparently not!

In the most simplistic way...Rangnick was talking about where we wanted to play the game...we wanted to play away from our goal where our undeniable strength lies...in attacking areas.

low and behold, we did just that...there was a clip on match of the day last night and our deepest players were actually inside palaces half across the centre circle...causing an overload and forcing the Palace forwards to drop deeper...defending by controlling the reaction of the opponent...in general it showed how reactionary we have become to other teams...even with the ball we were not exactly dictating games- but that was not the case yesterday. it was wonderful so see and considering he has had no time to get across his ideas it is extremely exciting.

It also seemed to remedy what I saw as being one of the main deficiencies under Ole and Jose...we can in our balls play out from the back...we spent a lot of theArsenal game even trying to get out past 2 forwards...this happened much less against Palace by virtue of the fact that we just didn’t play in our own half a lot.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Maybe it's their account and they are promoting it?
No idea - but if so, it's doubly fishy.

The person's one "credential" seems to be that he/she is followed by Lou Macari.

I once talked to Lou Macari - face to face - for at least 15 minutes. I should start a consulting firm.

SirSean

Tbf, I thought I remember that the team played like that with urgency in Ole's first few games. The team kept it for a few match and he had like what 10 or 11 winning straight. It is hard to judge early.

If the team keeps playing like that at the end of the season, I would say they buy into it. Obviously though even if this is due to a new manager's effect, always good to start with a win.
I agree. Sustaining the standards is the hardest part. That's why people always talk about a 'honeymoon' period when a new manager with fresh ideas come into a team that is struggling. Thinking about that, makes Sir Alex' successful tenure at Manchester United all the more amazing. Pep might be considered more of a footballing genius, but imagine Pep not having the same transfer budget in the first few seasons of any club and staying there for some 25-26 years and winning countless of trophies? I reckon he wouldn't.

Highfather_24

I kind of agree but McT is in such bad form I don't think this is true at the moment

At home against a team sitting back I'd give Donny a try in there, or Pogba if fit

But the real answer is we desperately need a new midfielder in January
Rangnick described his formation as two #6s, two #10s and two CFs. I think only Matic, McT and Fred fit the profile of #6s we need to compensate for 4 attacking players. Not sure if Donny fits that, he is probably more suited to being one of the #10s. I guess that's why Rangnick is looking for Haidara.

SirSean

The first 30 mins were really good to watch, glimpses of which we've seen in the previous two games too, pretty sure those were instructions from Ralf.
What I was impressed more with was the last 15 mins of the first half where we were not exactly pressing like fanatics, not winning the ball deep in their half, but we still kept getting into good positions to create chances, that is really big for me. The first half was extremely satisfactory.
Tapering off in the 2nd half was expected as this kind of pressing is difficult to sustain anyway, let alone for a team that is changing to this style of play in the middle of a season.
To sustain running like this in games the entire training regime and diet will have to be altered, and the preparation starts from pre season.
And most of the players had played a hard-fought game against Arsenal on Thursday

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Rangnick described his formation as two #6s, two #10s and two CFs. I think only Matic, McT and Fred fit the profile of #6s we need to compensate for 4 attacking players. Not sure if Donny fits that, he is probably more suited to being one of the #10s. I guess that's why Rangnick is looking for Haidara.
Twisting it is bit to a 442 diamond instead of a 4222 could fit Donny better. Fred as #6, Donny and Sancho on the #8s and Bruno on the #10. But this would be an extremely attacking player selection, so I doubt we'll see it ad a starting formation. But I could see it if United need to chase a game.

Highfather_24

Twisting it is bit to a 442 diamond instead of a 4222 could fit Donny better. Fred as #6, Donny and Sancho on the #8s and Bruno on the #10. But this would be an extremely attacking player selection, so I doubt we'll see it ad a starting formation. But I could see it if United need to chase a game.
Not sure why we would shift Sancho and Fred away from their best positions just to shoe-horn in Donny. In any case, Donny's best performances at Ajax came as a #10.

Greck

Tbf, I thought I remember that the team played like that with urgency in Ole's first few games. The team kept it for a few match and he had like what 10 or 11 winning straight. It is hard to judge early.

If the team keeps playing like that at the end of the season, I would say they buy into it. Obviously though even if this is due to a new manager's effect, always good to start with a win.
Well off the top of my head there was that beautiful well worked Martial goal in his first game but such passages of play didn't become the norm. We actually started surrendering possession to play deep counters very soon into his interim tenure. The honeymoon period didn't actually contain highly organised football. It was also clear from the start Ole would favour a free system with considerable individual freedom for the players. This was when "fitness" started getting thrown around a lot to explain the declining play.

romufc

So now we have managers on the caf that are better than Rangnick?

Saying Donny needs to start instead of McT, just shows the lack of football knowledge in here.

Lentwood

The Palace game for me was far more encouraging than games like Arsenal or Chelsea.

Yes we got a good point away at Stamford Bridge, but we massively rode our luck. Yes we beat Arsenal but it was a chaotic performance from both sides and that just encourages variance.

I liked that Rangnick picked up on that straight away. I have been saying that since the Wolves game. You cannot win football matches being that open. If you play "you attack, we attack" every game for 90-mins, the variance away from what *should* happen will be huge.

Against Palace, we controlled the game for 90-minutes. Yes we ran out of steam a little, but that is to be expected when it was an unchanged XI from Thursday night. I have always maintained we have a very good squad, one or two additions and keep working on some actual tactics and we could turn into a really good side quite quickly

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
To fit in a player who didn't show much, we have to play Sancho and Fred out of position.

If RR wants to play high intensity game then he should rotate the squad well. So de beek should get enough games. No point reshuffling whole midfield.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
To fit in a player who didn't show much, we have to play Sancho and Fred out of position.

If RR wants to play high intensity game then he should rotate the squad well. So de beek should get enough games. No point reshuffling whole midfield.
There might be a point under certain circumstances, to deal with specific challenges. As I said, I don't think this will ever be a starting formation

justsomebloke

Carl Anka the only one of the Athletic lot with sense. They booted him off the podcast because he wasn’t cheerleading the previous charlatan.
Nobody else on the Athletic was cheerleading OGS either. Unless you think not seeing him as a charlatan qualifies as cheerleading.

justsomebloke

Que? Where are those people being negative on Rangnick and defending Ole? Obviously I don't read everything on this forum, but I can't remember seeing a single statement like that.

As for Fred and McT, that's a double-edged sword here, isn't. On the one hand, he did get a lot of flak for playing them frequently and people saw that as a lack of ambition. a defensive mentality and an unjustified use of players who just weren't good enough to play so often. Well, the fact that both Carrick and Rangnick are using them as their first option, and to good effect, obviously says something about that criticism not being entirely on the mark. On the other hand, there's a reason why they've looked (largely) good in the last four games and like a disaster earlier in the season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Que? Where are those people being negative on Rangnick and defending Ole? Obviously I don't read everything on this forum, but I can't remember seeing a single statement like that.

As for Fred and McT, that's a double-edged sword here, isn't. On the one hand, he did get a lot of flak for playing them frequently and people saw that as a lack of ambition. a defensive mentality and an unjustified use of players who just weren't good enough to play so often. Well, the fact that both Carrick and Rangnick are using them as their first option, and to good effect, obviously says something about that criticism not being entirely on the mark. On the other hand, there's a reason why they've looked (largely) good in the last four games and like a disaster earlier in the season.
A team playing in the opposition half will always look ambitious. I guess you could field 10 CBs, if they play as high up on the pitch as United did yesterday, no one would call it a lack of ambition.

justsomebloke

Why is the fixture from Ole's pic conveniently cut off? Again another of stupid agenda posting (the twitter post/or this post if the poster gives actual credence to the twitter post) that is unnecessary and only made to entice reaction. In time, someone else could easily use one of the easy games from Ole's tenure and then compare it with Ralf's tenure when United might come under cosh against teams like City or Liverpool.
"I'll just leave these images to rest my case". And then no indication of what one of those images actually shows. So, that's basically "here, look at this nice picture which says that I'm right". Either the man is an idiot, or he thinks everybody else is.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
This is why some of us argued against the opinion that a manager needs years and hundreds of millions to implement his style.

1 training session and we're already seeing signs of a proper style being implemented.
And for me it puts to bed the whole he needs more time argument, that people like Neville have for managers.
And all those Ole inners that have been staunchly for more time for the manager and calling people not satisfied, diddums fans, you know who you are. And not just for Ole for Jose to at the end on the other side as it were.

lilcurt

Already fan channels are talking about Ralf getting the job full-time. I just hope no matter how good we do in this period the club hold their decision till the summer and still talk with other candidates so we are prepared.

A great start and I really like his football philosophy, let's not get carried away however.

spiriticon

Why are some people so desperate to throw the plan out the window and talk about hiring the interim manager full time after a handful of games?

Hold your nerve guys...Give it time.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Already fan channels are talking about Ralf getting the job full-time. I just hope no matter how good we do in this period the club hold their decision till the summer and still talk with other candidates so we are prepared.

A great start and I really like his football philosophy, let's not get carried away however.
I agree with you that there's no need to rush to make a decision. However, if things go well we should give Rangnick more time in the dugout. No more three year contracts mind. A year extension is enough.

To be honest, the best coaches in the world are pretty much all tied up at the moment. We should only replace Rangnick if we are getting an upgrade.

I don't want to get shot of Rangnick and see f'n Brentan Rodgers replacing him for the sake of it, just so the Board can say they stuck to their press released plan unlike with Ole.

If Rangnick proves to be the right man, and he just might, then lets keep it going. If it all goes wrong then, yes, move him on. The key thing should be to avoid changing for the sake of change.

Lets get to May, evaluate how things have gone, then make the decision.

roonster09

Scout
There might be a point under certain circumstances, to deal with specific challenges. As I said, I don't think this will ever be a starting formation
Yeah, in few games we are overwhelming favorites or when we are chasing the game, we can do that. Not as a regular line up.

bondsname

What does the caf think about appointing McKenna as a permanent manager? The lad knows the United way from Ole and Gegenpressing from Rangnick now.

Sviken

So now we have managers on the caf that are better than Rangnick?

Saying Donny needs to start instead of McT, just shows the lack of football knowledge in here.
This argument is nonsensical always. I'm sure none of us here will be better managers than Ole, yet it's easy to call on his mistakes. Rangnick, albeit a million times the manager Ole is, isn't anything special in that regard either. Neither was Van Gaal or Mourinho.

McT has shown absoltuely nothing to deserve his place in this side, I'm sorry. He has every negative trait you DO NOT want in your midfielder. He hides from the ball, his passing is generally dreadful, his control and press resistance are terrible, his positioning leaves a lot to be desired, he can't dictate the tempo or anything like that, he doesn't have the energy Fred does, despite his size and physical advantages he simply can't utilize them to any effectiveness whatsoever. Even when he takes the ball he usually fouls the opponent. In general, he is a nothing footballer. There was a funny stat last night that showed McTominay having the same amount of passes as Ronaldo... a CF. Just goes to show you everything you need to know about the lad.

With Fred I think he can genuinely come very good under a proper coach that knows how to utilize him correctly. McT, it'll take a miracle to make him a starter in a United side. I also think it's too early to tell whether Rangnick would use him or not. Obviously he wouldn't want to rock the boat a little too much in the beginning, but I can see him introducing Donny slowly into the side. Mejbri is also someone who'd I pick over McTominay ten times out of ten.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I’ve been watching a lot of videos on his previous teams and his tactical setups. One key feature is the way that he has players working in packs to win the ball back. I was really impressed to see our players starting to do this yesterday after one training session.

L1nk

I think what I appreciated the most about the setup was that, there was actual movement from the players? Like when the players had to make a short pass, players were generally moving and making themselves available ready for that pass, rather than under previous regimes where our players were just static as hell, that's what impressed me most

GreatDane

What does the caf think about appointing McKenna as a permanent manager? The lad knows the United way from Ole and Gegenpressing from Rangnick now.
Only if it's literally permanent. For life. Brillant idea.

justsomebloke

This argument is nonsensical always. I'm sure none of us here will be better managers than Ole, yet it's easy to call on his mistakes. Rangnick, albeit a million times the manager Ole is, isn't anything special in that regard either. Neither was Van Gaal or Mourinho.

McT has shown absoltuely nothing to deserve his place in this side, I'm sorry. He has every negative trait you DO NOT want in your midfielder. He hides from the ball, his passing is generally dreadful, his control and press resistance are terrible, his positioning leaves a lot to be desired, he can't dictate the tempo or anything like that, he doesn't have the energy Fred does, despite his size and physical advantages he simply can't utilize them to any effectiveness whatsoever. Even when he takes the ball he usually fouls the opponent. In general, he is a nothing footballer. There was a funny stat last night that showed McTominay having the same amount of passes as Ronaldo... a CF. Just goes to show you everything you need to know about the lad.

With Fred I think he can genuinely come very good under a proper coach that knows how to utilize him correctly. McT, it'll take a miracle to make him a starter in a United side. I also think it's too early to tell whether Rangnick would use him or not. Obviously he wouldn't want to rock the boat a little too much in the beginning, but I can see him introducing Donny slowly into the side. Mejbri is also someone who'd I pick over McTominay ten times out of ten.
I agree with the basic point that McTominay lacks the quality (and in part, which is worse, some of the basic traits required for that position) to be a frequent starter in the midfield. But there are more than a few things in your description above that you could pick at as being way over the top. To say for example that he doesn't utilize his physical advantages in any way whatsoever is plainly just silly. His passing is not dreadful, it's mediocre. And he's not a "nothing" footballer. He just doesn't do many important things well enough.

Real Name

I’ve been watching a lot of videos on his previous teams and his tactical setups. One key feature is the way that he has players working in packs to win the ball back. I was really impressed to see our players starting to do this yesterday after one training session.
Oh yes that was obvious from the start. Few times, when the press was a second or 2 too late or Palace players worked through it our defense was exposed quickly but its a start and in time we'll press like an unit. In any case its remarkable that difference is obvious after just one training.

romufc

Its not really. If you actually think about it in a footballing way, it makes sense.

However bad McTominay is as a player, which I agree with you that he is a poor player, you have to look at our squad. Yes, if we had a better player in that position, I'd agree that McT shouldn't start. We don;t have that player, we can't think Donny is that player when we have seen Ole, Carrick and now Ralf play Scotty instead of Donny.

Ideally, we need another Fred with better composure in that position, the way we want to play with 4 attackers and 2 full backs, we dont need anything special in midfield.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm surprised some of you lot are married with a partner and possibly children.

Always complaining about this player not being good enough and that player not even being championship level whilst everyone else around you looks sexy.

roonster09

Scout
Didn't ManUtd fans had problem with manager calling players with their first names?

Looks like they will enjoy Rangnick, he called everyone with their first names and even added 'y' for McT. Scotty, Bruno, Cristiano, Jadon, Marcus, Alex, Diogo, Mason

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm surprised some of you lot are married with a partner and possibly children.

Always complaining about this player not being good enough and that player not even being championship level whilst everyone else around you looks sexy.
My wife's xG is severely under par and I'm thinking about upgrading.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
Build him up, then tear him down. Thats what both the media and United fans will do.

Well at least he’s building something.

Same couldn’t be said (at least on the pitch) for the previous managers post SAF. That’s an incredible stat after barely having a single training session. Just giving the man props haha

Status
Not open for further replies.