Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This argument is nonsensical always. I'm sure none of us here will be better managers than Ole, yet it's easy to call on his mistakes. Rangnick, albeit a million times the manager Ole is, isn't anything special in that regard either. Neither was Van Gaal or Mourinho.

McT has shown absoltuely nothing to deserve his place in this side, I'm sorry. He has every negative trait you DO NOT want in your midfielder. He hides from the ball, his passing is generally dreadful, his control and press resistance are terrible, his positioning leaves a lot to be desired, he can't dictate the tempo or anything like that, he doesn't have the energy Fred does, despite his size and physical advantages he simply can't utilize them to any effectiveness whatsoever. Even when he takes the ball he usually fouls the opponent. In general, he is a nothing footballer. There was a funny stat last night that showed McTominay having the same amount of passes as Ronaldo... a CF. Just goes to show you everything you need to know about the lad.

With Fred I think he can genuinely come very good under a proper coach that knows how to utilize him correctly. McT, it'll take a miracle to make him a starter in a United side. I also think it's too early to tell whether Rangnick would use him or not. Obviously he wouldn't want to rock the boat a little too much in the beginning, but I can see him introducing Donny slowly into the side. Mejbri is also someone who'd I pick over McTominay ten times out of ten.
Bullshit.

VDB in a double pivot with Fred is more average than Mctominay.

We saw this with his crap performances against West ham last season in the fa cup where he did shit all next to Fred because he sat deep and did nothing. A 5/10 performance.

If VDB is going to play deep he needs a CDM like Matic that can give you the freedom to attack or go on a run. We saw this in VDB's best performance recently in the PL vs Watford. He gets forward and makes passes and makes runs that outdo the opposition defenders so he can score goals.

How the hell is he going to do that in a double pivot when the partner is Fred and Mctominay who are box to box players and not number 6's shielding anchor man type footballers.

This is why Pogba has worked always better with matic than with Fred or mctominay as we saw in the Europa Cup. VDB was even theoretically bought as a back up for Pogba aswell when he was leaving - playing him or pogbq in a double pivot needs the right partner to get the best out of either of them.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Que? Where are those people being negative on Rangnick and defending Ole? Obviously I don't read everything on this forum, but I can't remember seeing a single statement like that.

As for Fred and McT, that's a double-edged sword here, isn't. On the one hand, he did get a lot of flak for playing them frequently and people saw that as a lack of ambition. a defensive mentality and an unjustified use of players who just weren't good enough to play so often. Well, the fact that both Carrick and Rangnick are using them as their first option, and to good effect, obviously says something about that criticism not being entirely on the mark. On the other hand, there's a reason why they've looked (largely) good in the last four games and like a disaster earlier in the season.
No one has said anything of the sorts. Its just some rando who thought he was making a clever point.

But its good that he's making an argument that we don't need to buy players anymore.

My curiosity with Ragnick is mostly: Will Donny still be the savior if Ragnick doesnt play him, or will be be found to be not good enough?

Chief123

This is why some of us argued against the opinion that a manager needs years and hundreds of millions to implement his style.

1 training session and we're already seeing signs of a proper style being implemented.
Agreed. Tuchel is the best example of this. Chelsea were looking a shambles similar to us when Lampard got sacked. Tuchel turned them into european champions and now title contenders with no signings. (Lukaka has barely played this season and hasn't had a huge impact when he has). Just goes to show coaching methods don't need an age to work.

Gordon Godot

A team playing in the opposition half will always look ambitious. I guess you could field 10 CBs, if they play as high up on the pitch as United did yesterday, no one would call it a lack of ambition.
Is this a serious comment or a joke?

Gordon Godot

Agreed. Tuchel is the best example of this. Chelsea were looking a shambles similar to us when Lampard got sacked. Tuchel turned them into european champions and now title contenders with no signings. (Lukaka has barely played this season and hasn't had a huge impact when he has). Just goes to show coaching methods don't need an age to work.
Anyone who has played a half decent level of football, or worked in job where teamwork and coordination is important, will absolutey tell you how important coaching and how quickly thigns can change. You knows how Ralf will work out by the end of the season but he has shown that if you have clear beliefs and strong tactical awareness you can influence team set up and performance almost overnight. The bigger problem that 8 years of random recruitment have left us still with a disjointed squad and lots of dead wood. Finally bringing clarity and consistency to player recruitment and sales would be Ralf's greatest achievement, if he is able to do that

justsomebloke

Bullshit.

VDB in a double pivot with Fred is more average than Mctominay.

We saw this with his crap performances against West ham last season in the fa cup where he did shit all next to Fred because he sat deep and did nothing. A 5/10 performance.

If VDB is going to play deep he needs a CDM like Matic that can give you the freedom to attack or go on a run. We saw this in VDB's best performance recently in the PL vs Watford. He gets forward and makes passes and makes runs that outdo the opposition defenders so he can score goals.

How the hell is he going to do that in a double pivot when the partner is Fred and Mctominay who are box to box players and not number 6's shielding anchor man type footballers.

This is why Pogba has worked always better with matic than with Fred or mctominay as we saw in the Europa Cup. VDB was even theoretically bought as a back up for Pogba aswell when he was leaving - playing him or pogbq in a double pivot needs the right partner to get the best out of either of them.
A point I would make from yesterday is that with Rangnicks formation, the two CMs are actually playing a good deal further up the field when we have the ball, because our line is so high. Both Fred and McT got quite a lot involved in the attack yesterday.

jeff_goldblum

Having known barely anything about the guy beforehand, the reason I'm happy with the appointment is because it seems to be a marker that the club has realised that we need to react to how the game has changed over the last 10 - 15 years. In the modern game where almost every team is coached to defend as a unit, having better individual attacking players and just letting them to their thing doesn't cut it anymore. This appointment is the first time the board seems to have realised the need for the manager to have a vision of how we should play which is rooted in the realities of the modern game. It's a very different appointment from our other 'tactical' managers post-Fergie whose ideas were rooted in the past. LVG operated on the principle that if you have the ball the opposition will eventually make a mistake and let you in (which was maybe true 25 years ago), and Mourinho operated on the principle that if you defend well and have individual quality in attack you'll win more often than not (which was true in the Premier League when he arrived 15+ years ago). Neither had any tactical answer to how to attack well-drilled teams who could press or keep a shape, so as that became the norm from top to bottom they struggled.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
A point I would make from yesterday is that with Rangnicks formation, the two CMs are actually playing a good deal further up the field when we have the ball, because our line is so high. Both Fred and McT got quite a lot involved in the attack yesterday.
But even though Mctominay had a yellow if I remember correctly - Rangnick bought VDB on for Bruno Fernandes who is arguably the most creative player we have.

It's just not defensively solid enough for Fred to go press up the pitch and have VDB covering for him defensively. Or on the other side, having VDB going for an intelligent attacking run that can not just fool the opposition but his own team mates but then leaves Fred by himself defending against a potential counter.

Hoof the ball

I have nothing to base this on, of course, but I think that Rangnick is mentoring Fletcher moreso than McKenna. For about half the match when Rangnick wasn't at the touchline, he kept sending Fletcher to the technical area to deputise. Whilst I don't necessarily think this means he's grooming him to the the next United boss, I wouldn't be surprised if Fletcher ends up as another of Rangnick's protege's, like Nagelsmann, Tuchel, etc. Of all the United staff, Fletcher has always impressed me much more than the rest. All you have to do is listen to him for anything more than a minute to know you're dealing with a very bright individual who has his finger on the pulse of the modern interpretation of the game. I think Rangnick has noticed this.

red_de_pologne

I have nothing to base this on, of course, but I think that Rangnick is mentoring Fletcher moreso than McKenna. For about half the match when Rangnick wasn't at the touchline, he kept sending Fletcher to the technical area to deputise. Whilst I don't necessarily think this means he's grooming him to the the next United boss, I wouldn't be surprised if Fletcher ends up as another of Rangnick's protege's, like Nagelsmann, Tuchel, etc. Of all the United staff, Fletcher has always impressed me much more than the rest. All you have to do is listen to him for anything more than a minute to know you're dealing with a very bright individual who has his finger on the pulse of the modern interpretation of the game. I think Rangnick has noticed this.
Isn't Fletcher a technical director though? Not even a coach, and he's on the touchline, bit weird that

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Isn't Fletcher a technical director though? Not even a coach, and he's on the touchline, bit weird that
It looks like at the moment he is working as part of the coaching staff after Solskjaer and Carrick are gone. So it might be possible that his career path changes again, if this is not only an interim thing, but becomes something more permanent.

Rolaholic

There was an actual organized shape yesterday, brought tears to my eyes :lol:

IrishRedDevil

Great to see. Funny though that we bought Sancho for the RW, but he prefers to naturally drift left. I think moving forward either Bruno or Sancho will have to focus on staying on the right somewhat, as they seemed to be getting in eachothers space yesterday.

Hoof the ball

A little, but if you consider that Ralf works both as head coach and technical director/sporting director in his career, it makes sense for him to pass on his expertise to those he feels have the capacity to do so.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Great to see. Funny though that we bought Sancho for the RW, but he prefers to naturally drift left. I think moving forward either Bruno or Sancho will have to focus on staying on the right somewhat, as they seemed to be getting in eachothers space yesterday.
Sancho has never been a traditional winger and I kind of hope that everyone knew that he wasn't going to stay on the right. And in a 4222, you don't want any of the 10s to stay on a wing, you want them to move around and run into space while the other compensate and moves accordingly.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That part really looks weird. 8 of 10 players clearly were in their intented position, but Sancho drifted into Bruno's space, while Ronaldo dropped into Sancho's. Not sure who was here the cause, but I guess both need to stay more in their spaces to create a more fluent attacking game.

KingCavani

This is why some of us argued against the opinion that a manager needs years and hundreds of millions to implement his style.

1 training session and we're already seeing signs of a proper style being implemented.
The manager said himself that it will take some time.

It wasn't going to take much to improve us out of possession - Our previous attempts to implement a press were actually laughable. Our players didn't seem to know what anyone else was doing at any one time and they looked like a group of guys who'd gone into business for themselves. The individual mistakes being made by the likes of Maguire and Shaw will be less prominent in a side that can maintain some control.

What will take time is improving our attacking style - Having a consistent threat when in possession and players knowing their role in quick transitions.

IrishRedDevil

Sancho has never been a traditional winger and I kind of hope that everyone knew that he wasn't going to stay on the right. And in a 4222, you don't want any of the 10s to stay on a wing, you want them to move around and run into space while the other compensate and moves accordingly.
I didn’t say I wanted him out on the wing, just a bit more to the right side, centrally. Or perhaps Bruno to go right instead. I’m aware that it’s the fullbacks that are there to create the width on the wings. But it was clear that Sancho and Bruno were in eachother’s space at the weekend, which is understandable as it was the first game.

Revaulx

Well SAF employed loads of losers as assistants and trusted technical coaches, so a poor managerial record in itself doesn’t mean a lot if one isn’t actually employed as the manager.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hi record as Toronto FC manager until he was fired in July 2021: "1 win, 8 losses, and 2 draws" :houllier:
Probably a case of promoted above his ability. It's fairly common in sport, particularly in american sports and Rugby where someone is good as an assistant manager but not so good as the main man.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Apparently he is awful, not exactly great news...
Are you expecting a high profile man to take up an assistant manager position for 6 months ? Just curious. At times, our expectations are way off from reality.

MUFC OK

Are you expecting a high profile man to take up an assistant manager position for 6 months ? Just curious. At times, our expectations are way off from reality.
We've all been in agreement about the requirement for best in class. Is he that as a coach or just the only one of Rangnick's mates available? Who knows.

Revaulx

Ralf was brought in by Murtogh. Fletcher seems to be Murtogh’s right hand man, and not so much an Ole associate. Maybe Ralf regards his input as likely to be more objective than that of the coaches under the old regime.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Why is everyone queuing up on left ? Was it tactical , to target Clyne ? Or is it because Sancho, Bruno and Rashford is more comfortable staying on left and going inside from there ?
Would be interested to see how we take this forward.

djembatheking

Already fan channels are talking about Ralf getting the job full-time. I just hope no matter how good we do in this period the club hold their decision till the summer and still talk with other candidates so we are prepared.

A great start and I really like his football philosophy, let's not get carried away however.
Agree mate, people are forgetting what happened with Ole who was unbeaten in his first 12 games, I think, I seem to remember 10wins and 2 draws or something. There`s no need for any rash decisions, even though I am incredibly optimistic about Ralf.

Hoof the ball

Why is everyone queuing up on left ? Was it tactical , to target Clyne ? Or is it because Sancho, Bruno and Rashford is more comfortable staying on left and going inside from there ?
Would be interested to see how we take this forward.
Overload and switch to Dalot.

Ole crowded that left hand side too; the difference being that Ole's United insisted on playing through the cluttered left side of players and not switching it across to AWB. The purpose of the clutter is to draw the opposition defence and midfield to one side of the field and then switch to find Dalot in acres of space, and maybe a 2-on-1 situation.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Anyone who has played a half decent level of football, or worked in job where teamwork and coordination is important, will absolutey tell you how important coaching and how quickly thigns can change. You knows how Ralf will work out by the end of the season but he has shown that if you have clear beliefs and strong tactical awareness you can influence team set up and performance almost overnight. The bigger problem that 8 years of random recruitment have left us still with a disjointed squad and lots of dead wood. Finally bringing clarity and consistency to player recruitment and sales would be Ralf's greatest achievement, if he is able to do that
Agreed, I think his mandate as manager is top 4. Anything better is great, but it's his work as a director that I'm most interested in. Once as a club you have a clear philosophy, direction, method of talent ID (players who fit the aforementioned philosophy) all you need is a manager to come in and coach/manage the players. Finding managers who align with that philosophy is easier than getting the mess that the last 8 year's have been in order. I think letting him sign players in January would be a good indication that as 'consultant' he will have power. I believable he would have been made assurances or he would not have left Lokomotiv.

Status
Not open for further replies.