Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I’m really not sure tbh it could be a number of things but it does seem weird. They don’t acknowledge it either which is also strange. Like he was there every week and now he’s not.

I like that podcast but Andy and Laurie were far too accepting of Ole which just fecked me off. Have standards.
Pretty sure he's taking a break. He's not wrote anything for the Athletic in months and hasn't been active on social media.

Amarsdd

Ole left us sitting 8th in the league. Don’t need to cut anything off any picture to see that.
haha just because that argument you support is dumb, doesn't mean you have to bring yourself to that level to support it. The tweet is making a point with that comparison, so yes its relevant what they obscured there intentionally.

Hoof the ball

Sir Alf Ramsey was the first to use a 4-4-2 formation, for the England national team in the early 1970's. Before that, 4-3-3 was the preferred formation, which he introduced at the 1966 World Cup. Prior to that, 4-2-4 was the default formation for many teams.
I believe Viktor Maslov beat Ramsey to the 4-4-2. Maslov was using it in the 60's with Dynamo Kyiv when everyone else favoured the 4-2-4. He saw the vulnerabilities in that and made the change. But yes, though Ramsey wasn't the pioneer, he was the first to implement in this country.

mav_9me

I for one am extremely happy with today. Controlled the game very very well. They had such a difficult time getting out of their half, more in the first half but not like the 2nd half saw them put us under pressure.

Very happy with the press for first 30 mins, infact I thought it was extremely impressive how we set up, wasn't all high energy running imo. I don't think many teams press all thru anyway. Wouldn't be possible for us to do that right away anyway. And so happy to take a step back and yet we still penned them in for essentially the whole game.

Can you tell I'm happy?

Yakuza_devils

The best of Rangnick is yet to come, it's not as interim manager. He is better known for building a club football structure.

We will have him 2 years to modernize the club football structure. Hopefully from now on we'll have proper planning, vision and continuity in our football side of things e.g. youth, training, recruitment, coaches, manager, style of play and etc.

mav_9me

The best of Rangnick is yet to come, it's not as interim manager. He is better known for building a club football structure.

We will have him 2 years to modernize the club football structure. Hopefully from now on we'll have proper planning, vision and continuity in our football side of things e.g. youth, training, recruitment, coaches, manager, style of play and etc.
I actually feel he wants to continue as manager. Just my feeling

Newtonius

I actually feel he wants to continue as manager. Just my feeling
I think he will as well if he wants it and the players fully end up buying in to his ideas long term. Honestly haven't felt this positive about a manager in a long time he definitely has that german analytical passion for the game.

Reactions: Sultan

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How the feck did he make such drastic changes in how the team play overall within one training season? I thought it was supposed to be years before we see anything.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How the feck did he make such drastic changes in how the team play overall within one training season? I thought it was supposed to be years before we see anything.
He didn't make drastic changes but rather had us in a 'compact high block' with the half spaces occupied in a 2-4-2-2/4-2-2-2.

The United

This is what I have been saying for years. You don't need ages for the team to have a identity. It might not be perfect at first but you at least have an idea what the coach is trying to do. With Ole I never did. Even before a ball was kicked, we had an idea of how Ralf would try to play and we saw it. That's the vision I have been calling for. The hope now is that the team will get better and better at it as the weeks and months pass.
Tbf, I thought I remember that the team played like that with urgency in Ole's first few games. The team kept it for a few match and he had like what 10 or 11 winning straight. It is hard to judge early.

If the team keeps playing like that at the end of the season, I would say they buy into it. Obviously though even if this is due to a new manager's effect, always good to start with a win.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He didn't make drastic changes but rather had us in a 'compact high block' with the half spaces occupied in a 2-4-2-2/4-2-2-2.
Not the formation, I mean how the players approach the game and the urgency. Its not easy to get them to do it after only, now I've read about it, not a even a full training session.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Also to people complaining about McFred, They have always been our best options. Who are you gonna play instead? the mighty Matic?

passtheball

Also to people complaining about McFred, They have always been our best options. Who are you gonna play instead? the mighty Matic?
Fred has always had this potential, but McT was a liability even yesterday with his poor passing and even poorer tackling. VdB should be tried in that spot (he did well against West Ham in the position in the cup), and I think RR will soon.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Not the formation, I mean how the players approach the game and the urgency. Its not easy to get them to do it after only, now I've read about it, not a even a full training session.
I explained that in my previous post that he had us defending in a high compact block and the 4-2-2-2 made it difficult for Palace to build through the central areas. So we were defending higher up the.pitch, hence gaining 'control'

I actually predicted that he'd do that before the game.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Who is the opposition for Ole’s pic?
That's a weird comparison but yeah thats twitter for you. Amazing how the shit account tweets are posted on caf.

Anyways don't need any position map to see how much different it was even vs teams like Palace but it's hilarious some account thought it was some genius move to compare average position vs Palace at Ot vs maybe City or pool.

passtheball

Ralf will likely have our average positions almost the same vs City and Liverpool - so the criticism of the comparison is pointless.

In any case, it won't be as hilariously bad as when Ole was in charge.

roonster09

Scout
Ralf will likely have our average positions almost the same vs City and Liverpool - so the criticism of the comparison is pointless.

In any case, it won't be as hilariously bad as when Ole was in charge.
We had similar positioning against Newcastle and Everton. People are reading too much into these position maps, not surprising as it's easy to fool people using twitter .

Marcus

Ralf has been studying United so so carefully. The way he was able to just call all the players by name during interviews, knowing United's history and even joking that he thought Fred could only shoot with his left foot shows that this guy is really into details naturally or he really takes the time to study his teams. I am so very impressed. Of course starting off with a deserved win further confirms this.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ralf has been studying United so so carefully. The way he was able to just call all the players by name during interviews, knowing United's history and even joking that he thought Fred could only shoot with his left foot shows that this guy is really into details naturally or he really takes the time to study his teams. I am so very impressed. Of course starting off with a deserved win further confirms this.
This is absolutely true.

He's someone that is said to be very meticulous when it comes to planning and is reported to have watched hours of footage of youth and first team games in the past. And it's pretty plausible to say that he's likely binge watching our past games currently to gain a advantage for our forth coming games. That's typical of Rangnick, and his attention to detail is something that is admirable.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Pretty sure most of the posts in here are completely facetious
Pretty sure? It’s like graffiti in a tube station. 70% rubbish, 12 year olds, trolls, oppo fans, saddoes. 20% decent, witty, funny - makes it all worthwhile.

passtheball

I very much doubt that.

We will be miles better mind, I’m sure of that.
We had similar positioning against Newcastle and Everton. People are reading too much into these position maps, not surprising as it's easy to fool people using twitter .
Check out the average position of Liverpool players when they play a team like City. Granted, it is not as territorially dominant as in their other games, but their three forwards and their two full-backs have average positions in the opposition half.

I can't post working links but check the 4th graphic here: https ://betweentheposts.net/match-report-manchester-city-liverpool-2-1-premier-league-classic-decided-better-finishing-tactical-nuances-analysis/

RR wants to have us playing like that eventually.

Tony247

I would rather not read too much into first few games, whether we win or drop points. It is too early. Ole had similar impact.

Yesterday the team pressed but lack the end product. Obviously not well trained in all aspects. Similarly defense was not solid. However Dalot provided much needed width on the right so while attacking we had more options. This team will take time to be polished and also will need couple of replacements in transfer window. Lets wait and watch for now.

Josh 76

I would rather not read too much into first few games, whether we win or drop points. It is too early. Ole had similar impact.

Yesterday the team pressed but lack the end product. Obviously not well trained in all aspects. Similarly defense was not solid. However Dalot provided much needed width on the right so while attacking we had more options. This team will take time to be polished and also will need couple of replacements in transfer window. Lets wait and watch for now.
Good point. The press has been so over hyped recently. There is no point pressing without making chances. Still along way to go, but hopefully moving in the right direction

roonster09

Scout
Check out the average position of Liverpool players when they play a team like City. Granted, it is not as territorially dominant as in their other games, but their three forwards and their two full-backs have average positions in the opposition half.

I can't post working links but check the 4th graphic here: https ://betweentheposts.net/match-report-manchester-city-liverpool-2-1-premier-league-classic-decided-better-finishing-tactical-nuances-analysis/

RR wants to have us playing like that eventually.
They are liverpool playing under Klopp who didn't play defensive game vs Madrid when he was in charge of Dortmund. We don't have Klopp.

We will have team higher up the pitch against City, Pool compared to how Ole set up vs Pool and City but comparing average position vs Palace and that with City makes no sense. Check our average position against Newcastle, Everton it was as good as vs Palace.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I think you were quite clearly implying that SAF didn't have much tactical acumen (oh well, he told them the shape and let the lads have their fun on the pitch basically) but had great man management (a common cliched criticism towards the man) which is absolutely not true. He had both. I don't know why this keeps getting repeated.
He had tactics in another era completely. Compared to today it was the Stone Age. Even in those times, there were more technical and theoretical people. But SAF was cute, played psycho games, had an eye for a player. Highly intelligent with some superhuman drive to win.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, whole approach was very different. We pressed well and with numerical advantage, Maguire and LIndelof pushed so higher up the pitch, they were close to 30-35 yards from Palace goal. FBs were consistent threat, almost all the time it was vertical passes but not blind ones. We had outlet all the time and players in possession were quick to pick them.

Maybe wrong, read somewhere that we played 90% of the game in Palace half in first half.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

That's us against Liverpool (the 0-5 fiasco).

Point?

That posting average player positions can be very misleading. Especially when the illustration is from an atypical match - and yes, the illustration posted by the random twat quoted above is obviously atypical, regardless of how shite Ole's season was.

(Why do people quote random twats on Twitter, btw?)

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
It's his six monthes up yet?

Really hope he has more to offer than just getting the players to run about more as Moyes did that
Agreed, players need to be running less but oscillating more. This is 2021.

Glorio

Im excited, hugely excited. I can see a plan where all of our players are a fit. We have a team for his 4222 formation. All we need a combative midfielder who can play with Fred and an upgrade to McT (Haidara alike ) in Jan and Dare I say, we could even progress in CL.

Except for Bayern, I am pretty confident against any other team in CL.
Really? I must say, the prospect of meeting Liverpool or City over 2 legs do fill one with dread

Tarrou

I was quite impressed with the structure of the team especially in the first half. We had so much more control compared to most games in recent years. The high-press was better than I expected, so soon into his regime - but still clearly not 100% there yet.

We tired in the second half which is to be expected, but did well to get the win.

Some of the posts moaning already are, well there's not much you can say really.. some of you must get so little joy from football.

kthanksbye

The first 30 mins were really good to watch, glimpses of which we've seen in the previous two games too, pretty sure those were instructions from Ralf.
What I was impressed more with was the last 15 mins of the first half where we were not exactly pressing like fanatics, not winning the ball deep in their half, but we still kept getting into good positions to create chances, that is really big for me. The first half was extremely satisfactory.
Tapering off in the 2nd half was expected as this kind of pressing is difficult to sustain anyway, let alone for a team that is changing to this style of play in the middle of a season.
To sustain running like this in games the entire training regime and diet will have to be altered, and the preparation starts from pre season.

Tarrou

I kind of agree but McT is in such bad form I don't think this is true at the moment

At home against a team sitting back I'd give Donny a try in there, or Pogba if fit

But the real answer is we desperately need a new midfielder in January

Status
Not open for further replies.