g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The context matters though. We've had a huge covid outbreak, busy fixture list, little training time, complete coaching staff change, and low confidence. It's not exactly ideal for implementing new ideas.

This comes back to why Ole should have been sacked before the international window. It would have given us time. Fingers crossed a full week of training will help.
That's some good balance and I agree.

It was clear Ole should have gone well before he did, what other club wouldn't sack someone after a 5-0 home defeat for goodness sake? At least in Fergie's days his heavy defeats tended to be one offs backed up with a huge history of success, but Ole was clearly done for.

I do wonder what else we'd have done extra with the international break though. A lot of players were away then.

marcus agrippa

The context matters though. We've had a huge covid outbreak, busy fixture list, little training time, complete coaching staff change, and low confidence. It's not exactly ideal for implementing new ideas.

This comes back to why Ole should have been sacked before the international window. It would have given us time. Fingers crossed a full week of training will help.
The biggest concern for me is Rangnick's decision making. His selection against Wolves was baffling. How do you play a midfield two of Matic and McTomminay at the start? Haven't you done your homework? Not even Ole would do that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Seriously between 5 games on TV and 6 games on the pitch it already tells him a lot about the underperforming players and the ones who shouldn’t be starting. Seriously. Seriously?
Pretty sure that would be vs what he is seeing in training from the rest. I don't see much of an issue, he isn't picking the same team he did in the first game is he?

OmarUnited4ever

The biggest concern for me is Rangnick's decision making. His selection against Wolves was baffling. How do you play a midfield two of Matic and McTomminay at the start? Haven't you done your homework? Not even Ole would do that.
vs Burnley, Matic & McTominay played CM, we won & McTominay had a MOTM performance, probably that is why he played them against Wolves.

But just like you, I wonder why RR didn't rotate a bit, Fred could have played instead of Matic for example, and I would've loved to see Dalot start at RB instead of AWB.

mu4c_20le

vs Burnley, Matic & McTominay played CM, we won & McTominay had a MOTM performance, probably that is why he played them against Wolves.

But just like you, I wonder why RR didn't rotate a bit, Fred could have played instead of Matic for example, and I would've loved to see Dalot start at RB instead of AWB.
Starting 43 year old Matic vs Wolves suggests to me that he underestimated them and expected us to dominate the game at home and playing on the front foot.

sugar_kane

How do you get LVG vibes out of interest?

His footy was tedious and made very few chances, but he was the only manager we've had since Fergie who had a very definite way of playing, a proper system.
We got a few tasters of genuine control, in a couple of purple patches where it looked like he'd really cracked it.

The irony, is that a Ronaldo in his system could have been magnificient!
It was entirely surface level to be fair, mainly just the vibe he gave off in interviews and that he spoke of a very distinct playing style

I expect our ridiculous squad will probably see him in similar terms to LVG as well, someone who comes in and wants to give fairly explicit, detailed instructions - something they clearly don’t react well to.

slored1

If a player is genuinely leaking to a journo that they needed to google who Rangnick is like it is some justification for their atrocious performances then they need to get the feck out of the club right now.
100% agree. Absolutely embarassing if that's true, hope we/he bin/bins several players off anyway.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If a player is genuinely leaking to a journo that they needed to google who Rangnick is like it is some justification for their atrocious performances then they need to get the feck out of the club right now.
It’s probably Van de Beek’s agent

marcus agrippa

A dynamic, technical midfield is kryptonite for McT, and we already know Matic can't cover ground. If Rangnick thought Burnley's midfield characteristics were similar to Wolves' , he will fail. He changed the shape second half to compensate, but still kept the two on the whole 90 minutes.

And then he brings on Rashford whom he'd dropped for losing the ball ... What does Rashford go on to do? Lose the ball while running into three players when he has an easy ball out to a free Shaw.

I know I sound like I'm Rangnick out, but I'm not. He's just an interim. He really needs to start making better decisions, though.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
A dynamic, technical midfield is kryptonite for McT, and we already know Matic can't cover ground. If Rangnick thought Burnley's midfield characteristics were similar to Wolves' , he will fail. He changed the shape second half to compensate, but still kept the two on the whole 90 minutes.

And then he brings on Rashford whom he'd dropped for losing the ball ... What does Rashford go on to do? Lose the ball while running into three players when he has an easy ball out to a free Shaw.

I know I sound like I'm Rangnick out, but I'm not. He's just an interim. He really needs to start making better decisions, though.
I think he is trying to accomodate all these attackers. We have an excess of attackers if you include Martial, Elanga and Amad. Way too many and he is trying to find a formation that gets 4 of them in. But its not working. We had no control in MF last night and Wolves were picking up all the lose balls.

Either play a 4-2-2-2 with another MF instead of either greenwood or sancho, or change the formation altogether.

MUFC OK

He's obviously renowned as a tactician but it's his man-management that will be tested this week.

Some are suffering from a crisis of confidence, and the other half don't trust other players in the team. He needs to come up with something to inspire them into playing as a team again.

AshRK

Similar leaks happened under LVG and Jose so its someone like Lingard, Shaw, Jones, DDG that when things are going difficult want to throw the manager under the bus. I doubt Lingard gives a shit now he's leaving so I doubt its him.
In fact I think it is him. There were a lot of murmurs about how players were surprised he was not getting game time. Maybe him and his agents have been feeding a lot of inside news or maybe even making things up.

Again it could be someone else too but Lingard seems to be my pick.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He's obviously renowned as a tactician but it's his man-management that will be tested this week.

Some are suffering from a crisis of confidence, and the other half don't trust other players in the team. He needs to come up with something to inspire them into playing as a team again.
“I don’t know what to say, really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives. All comes down to today, and either, we heal as a team, or we’re gonna crumble. Inch by inch, play by play. Until we’re finished. We’re in hell right now, gentlemen. Believe me. And, we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell… one inch at a time.

Now I can’t do it for you, I’m too old. I look around, I see these young faces and I think, I mean, I’ve made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I’ve pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who’s ever loved me. And lately, I can’t even stand the face I see in the mirror.

You know, when you get old, in life, things get taken from you. I mean, that’s… that’s… that’s a part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losin’ stuff. You find out life’s this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game – life or football – the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don’t quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don’t quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second.

On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the f****** difference between WINNING and LOSING, between LIVING and DYING!

I’ll tell you this, in any fight it’s the guy whose willing to die whose gonna win that inch. And I know, if I’m gonna have any life anymore it’s because I’m still willing to fight and die for that inch, because that’s what living is, the six inches in front of your face. Now I can’t make you do it. You’ve got to look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes. Now I think you going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. Your gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team, because he knows when it comes down to it your gonna do the same for him. That’s a team, gentlemen, and either, we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals. That’s football guys, that’s all it is. Now, what are you gonna do?”

OmarUnited4ever

“I don’t know what to say, really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives. All comes down to today, and either, we heal as a team, or we’re gonna crumble. Inch by inch, play by play. Until we’re finished. We’re in hell right now, gentlemen. Believe me. And, we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell… one inch at a time.

Now I can’t do it for you, I’m too old. I look around, I see these young faces and I think, I mean, I’ve made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I’ve pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who’s ever loved me. And lately, I can’t even stand the face I see in the mirror.

You know, when you get old, in life, things get taken from you. I mean, that’s… that’s… that’s a part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losin’ stuff. You find out life’s this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game – life or football – the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don’t quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don’t quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second.

On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the f****** difference between WINNING and LOSING, between LIVING and DYING!

I’ll tell you this, in any fight it’s the guy whose willing to die whose gonna win that inch. And I know, if I’m gonna have any life anymore it’s because I’m still willing to fight and die for that inch, because that’s what living is, the six inches in front of your face. Now I can’t make you do it. You’ve got to look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes. Now I think you going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. Your gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team, because he knows when it comes down to it your gonna do the same for him. That’s a team, gentlemen, and either, we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals. That’s football guys, that’s all it is. Now, what are you gonna do?”
post on twitter and say apologies and we do better next game

sparx99

It was entirely surface level to be fair, mainly just the vibe he gave off in interviews and that he spoke of a very distinct playing style

I expect our ridiculous squad will probably see him in similar terms to LVG as well, someone who comes in and wants to give fairly explicit, detailed instructions - something they clearly don’t react well to.
There aren’t many left from LVG’s time so hardly the same squad and mentality.

Hackman2210

That wolves performance was a result of 5 changes of direction since fergie left. The same fans calling for rangnarick out were calling for Moyes out. If we had kept moyes would we be further along than we are now? Course we fecking would have!! Fickle fans. You guys would put Pogba in charge.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

His footy was tedious and made very few chances, but he was the only manager we've had since Fergie who had a very definite way of playing, a proper system.
We got a few tasters of genuine control, in a couple of purple patches where it looked like he'd really cracked it.
I thought the Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea away games in 2015 were great. The best United have been since Fergie, but it died off and was followed by (more) bad summer transfers. I think Van Gaal’s problem was he had little experience buying players and Woodward, rather than a DoF was the one “helping” him there.

My worry with Rangnick is not so much the form now, but what it will mean at the end of the season. Will his “consultancy” role become nothing much? That would be a bad move because at some point there needs to be a massive cull of players, possibly with contracts paid off and I think Rangnick’s value is there, rather than in his coaching. The recruitment and squad size management is going to need totally changing over the next few years because it’s an absolute mess now.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

I'm struggling to see what's different about Rangnick's United from Solskjaer's. That's what worries me. I need something to buy into.
Because as things stand there isn't a difference. It will take time to bring something to the table. Ofcourse, if you want to measure Ralf and Ole with a different scale just to suit your narrative, go on.

Sanchez7

The first thing we need to sort is get rid of the mole who has been continuously leaking info and line ups for a long time now.

L1nk

I have never hated a squad more than the United squad at this very minute, and that's saying something, they are all a bunch of spoiled, arrogant children who think they are the dogs bollocks. I hope to god they all leave and sooner rather than later. They weren't mouthing off about quality and being underwhelmed for nearly 3 years under Ole because they had a free ride and now this only a few weeks in? Feck off, absolute wasters the lot of them

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I can believe that Armas guy being shite but to be disillusioned by a manager who clearly has a good understanding of tactics and a style of play which influenced other top managers is a bit far fetched.

I reckon the players just don't want to work.

The United

The irony, is that a Ronaldo in his system could have been magnificient!
LVG said that running is for animals. He liked to let the ball do the job by passing properly or something. Probably totally opposite to what RR wants from his players.

I think some people are comparing RR with LVG for all the good talks. LVG could not execute his idea properly on the pitch here. RR might not as well because he only has 6 months and he probably is not very good.

Delano

With Rangnicks track record in the transfer market. We shouldn't give a flying feck if players want to leave. If they're not up to it, they can bounce.

Completely sick of pandering to players that have done nothing for this club.

JuriM

With Rangnicks track record in the transfer market. We shouldn't give a flying feck if players want to leave. If they're not up to it, they can bounce.

Completely sick of pandering to players that have done nothing for this club.
The management wouldn't let a single one of them leave under their value.

The United

I have never hated a squad more than the United squad at this very minute, and that's saying something, they are all a bunch of spoiled, arrogant children who think they are the dogs bollocks. I hope to god they all leave and sooner rather than later. They weren't mouthing off about quality and being underwhelmed for nearly 3 years under Ole because they had a free ride and now this only a few weeks in? Feck off, absolute wasters the lot of them
It is more likely a BS story. We always have had some stories coming out for every manager since SAF.

But though it could be true that RR and his assistants could be that bad on the other hand. He himself was not in the good tier of coaches/managers with his MSL failed coaches.

Sanchez7

Well, no shit.

It is more likely a BS story. We always have had some stories coming out for every manager since SAF.

But though it could be true that RR and his assistants could be that bad on the other hand. He himself was not in good tier of coach and the less we talk about his assistants, the better based on their CVs.
I do agree, media not very reliable on this stuff but Shaw's interview, a complete lack of progress, and general demeanor definitely points to issues.

el3mel

The first thing we need to sort is get rid of the mole who has been continuously leaking info and line ups for a long time now.
Why weren't they disappointed by Ole's non inexistent coaching ? Oh wait we all know why, because he was giving them a soft ride and coaching has feck all to do with it.

I have no doubt players loved Ole more because of reasons that have nothing to do with football/coaching/results.

Not saying Ralf hasn't been an underwhelming appointment so far, but it's hilarious to see the players turning on him after enduring 3 years of being shit tactically under the previous manager.

CaptainBirdseye

It's honestly becoming tiring how cyclical this is, that's about 3(?) groups of players we've churned through which have all been criticised for their mentality/selling out the manager etc.

And after each iteration, it's always 'we've cleared the deadwood and bad characters out, it'll be different now'. Ronaldo, Rashford, Maguire, probably AWB all very unpopular right now generally, but besides those 4, are there any easy 'bad-eggs' to point the fingers at when people are criticising the squad?

Martial is on his way out and not even in the squads, other wantaways like Lingard I presume are inconsequential.

Full disclosure, this isn't me defending the players, I just can't easily buy that it's the players for the 3rd squad in a row. I suppose it's a sign of shite recruitment.

Reactions: oates

croadyman

Why weren't they disappointed by Ole's non inexistent coaching ? Oh wait we all know why, because he was giving them a soft ride and coaching has feck all to do with it.

I have no doubt players loved Ole more because of reasons that have nothing to do with football/coaching/results.

Not saying Ralf hasn't been an underwhelming appointment so far, but it's hilarious to say the players turning on him after enduring 3 years of being shit tactically under the previous manager.
Because he didn't give them that tough love and general kick up the arse they so badly needed

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Quality control
Anyone remember Gary Neville's bellend comments after we bought Maguire and Wan Bissaka?

"First thing I see when I look at this team is that I like it. I like the players, I can get behind them". Yeah right, that aged superbly you dickwad.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Anyone remember Gary Neville's bellend comments after we bought Maguire and Wan Bissaka?

"First thing I see when I look at this team is that I like it. I like the players, I can get behind them". Yeah right, that aged superbly you dickwad.
/
How do you know that they're the apparent troublemakers? or are you just assuming that they are?

croadyman

Well do us all a favour and feck off to another club then if you are so unhappy with his methods

The United

Not saying Ralf hasn't been an underwhelming appointment so far, but it's hilarious to say the players turning on him after enduring 3 years of being shit tactically under the previous manager.
I think a lot of people are re-writing the past 3 years. We have had bad periods there and a very bad one this season. We have beaten good teams and enjoyed some of the best games there with a lot of come backs. Yeah we are missing the big prizes for sure. To say Ole team could not coach is a lot of BS. Not the standard of Pep or Klopp's but not many is and RR certainly not at the level either.

But I can't take the thinking seriously that players like easy managers considering the squad have some of the best winners.

el3mel

I think a lot of people are re-writing the past 3 years. We have had bad periods there and a very bad one this season. We have beaten good teams and enjoyed some of the best games there with a lot of come backs. Yeah we are missing the big prizes for sure. To say Ole team could not coach is a lot of BS. Not the standard of Pep or Klopp's but not many is and RR certainly not at the level either.

But I can't take the thinking that players like easy managers considering the squad have some of the best winners.
Re-writing ? A lot of us had been criticizing the coaching of United during these entire 3 years daily on this forum. The threads are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.