Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The United

Re-writing ? A lot of us had been criticizing the coaching of United during these entire 3 years daily on this forum. The threads are there.
Re-writing because it was not that bad for the reasons I said on that post.

Just because there are threads about them does not make it absolute true.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
So Ole and now Rangnick don't rate certain players (that the CAF seemingly fawn over) and they're angry over not playing it is most likely:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I know its overly speculative but I wonder about some British contingent in our squad. They know they'll be bullet proof in the English media regardless and are most likely to have some ties with daily mail. Could be completely wrong obviously.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So Ole and now Rangnick don't rate certain players (that the CAF seemingly fawn over) and they're angry over not playing it is most likely:

This is odd isn't it? Rangnick has played Matic back to back and dropped Fred. He dropped both fullbacks to give Telles and Dalot a fair crack. Bar VDB, Martial and Lingard they've all got a fair crack. You can argue two out of those 3 is for good reason.

peridigm

The first thing we need to sort is get rid of the mole who has been continuously leaking info and line ups for a long time now.
Easy story to write regarding the assistants. Surprised it has taken this long.
We’ll see how much control the club has given Ralf if we see players shut out and moved on this window or the next.
Otherwise, I’d not be surprised if Ralf‘s time is cut short and he moves on in the summer.

Eddy_JukeZ

Ole's stint was a giant waste of time.

It's a giant myth that he lifted the mood back when you consider how awful we were towards the end of his reign.

There is no difference between the mood now compared to when it went south under Jose.

el3mel

No it was that bad. The good tactical games were the exception, not the rule. A lot of us saw it but some just wanted to convince themselves otherwise.

Anyway, the point is players turning on Ralf after 2-3 weeks of training only is hilarious.

Oddboy

Some of these dipshits are going to be in for the shock of their life when they realise that even if this manager doesn't get results with them in this 6 months, he's going to have a massive influence over the next few years.

He's not a typical interim appointment, and is going to have a real say on their respective futures, regardless of his managerial performances .

By going with him the club have seemingly committed to an actual strategy and I'm 100% on board with it, even if it means some teething problems this season.

The United

No it was that bad. The good tactical games were the exception, not the rule. A lot of us saw it but some just wanted to convince themselves otherwise.

Anyway, the point is players turning on Ralf after 2-3 weeks of training only is hilarious.
Only if it was really true. You don't know that.

Ole's team beat a lot of good teams and finished 3rd and 2nd. The coaching team which had NO idea how to coach won't achieve that.

We wanted to move on from him because we wanted more than that and he was not up to it which was clear this season. It was not like we were lingering in mid table for a season or two.

And, hired a guy who almost no one heard for 6 months with failed MSL coaches. I am thinking some people can't take the possibility that this guy is not actually that good so they have to dig into the previous manager over anything that this guy fails to achieve to make them content. If anything, RR did the talk but if he failed to walk, it will be mostly on him.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
LVG said that running is for animals. He liked to let the ball do the job by passing properly or something. Probably totally opposite to what RR wants from his players.

I think some people are comparing RR with LVG for all the good talks. LVG could not execute his idea properly on the pitch here. RR might not as well because he only has 6 months and he probably is not very good.
It is more likely a BS story. We always have had some stories coming out for every manager since SAF.

But though it could be true that RR and his assistants could be that bad on the other hand. He himself was not in the good tier of coaches/managers with his MSL failed coaches.
I think a lot of people are re-writing the past 3 years. We have had bad periods there and a very bad one this season. We have beaten good teams and enjoyed some of the best games there with a lot of come backs. Yeah we are missing the big prizes for sure. To say Ole team could not coach is a lot of BS. Not the standard of Pep or Klopp's but not many is and RR certainly not at the level either.

But I can't take the thinking seriously that players like easy managers considering the squad have some of the best winners.

Seems that you’ve already decided RR (& his coaches) are not good enough after 5 matches? I mean, yeah, you could be right but it’s only a 6 month interim stint and hopefully we get our first choice thereafter. Seems a bit premature to be classifying him (& his coaches) as not good enough already though.

mu4c_20le

Easy story to write regarding the assistants. Surprised it has taken this long.
We’ll see how much control the club has given Ralf if we see players shut out and moved on this window or the next.
Otherwise, I’d not be surprised if Ralf‘s time is cut short and he moves on in the summer.
If his time is cut short then it means he wasn't good enough. Like everyone else, he has to prove himself and not just live off his past achievements.

The United

Seems that you’ve already decided RR (& his coaches) are not good enough after 5 matches? I mean, yeah, you could be right but it’s only a 6 month interim stint and hopefully we get our first choice thereafter. Seems a bit premature to be classifying him (& his coaches) as not good enough already though.
My feeling is that they are not good enough. Certainly not within 6 months with those coaches.

But it is not like I want to be proven right about it. More like I find it amusing that people for some reason trust this guy. Based on what exactly? If we accept whatever happens for next 6 month, we could have stuck with Carrick. Hire RR for consultant role or whatever for future planning. I am just a bit of concern that we might be disassembling too much of any small stability left this season for a manager who will be only for 6 months. But of course with a bit of hindsight after a month or so. He could turn around completely in next month for all we know.

I am just tempering my expectations and maybe others.

Last edited:

Gawge

If I had performed so poorly under three (well, 2.5) different managers I don't think I'd be throwing around the term "underwhelmed".

The Mirror has a line about some of them having to Google Ragnick. Big Soccer Saturday pundit vibes.

el3mel

Only if it was really true. You don't know that.

Ole's team beat a lot of good teams and finished 3rd and 2nd. The coaching team which had NO idea how to coach won't achieve that.

We wanted to move on from him because we wanted more than that and he was not up to it which was clear this season. It was not like we were lingering in mid table for a season or two.

And, hired a guy who almost no one heard for 6 months with failed MSL coaches. I am thinking some people can't take the possibility that this guy is not actually that good so they have to dig into the previous manager over anything that this guy fails to achieve to make them content. If anything, RR did the talk but if he failed to walk, it will be mostly on him.
Is this for real ? People were slaughtering anyone here who talked about Ole relegating Cardiff and managing at Norway as a shit CV for a United manager. Hilarious double standards.

Yeah, we beat some good teams under him. We were still tactically shit and incoherent for the majority of these 3 years, because shock horror, of course in 3 years period we'll have some good games and beat some good teams. We evaluate by the net result, which is the fact he spent the most and achieved the least out of all our post SAF managers.

Anyway, again, Ole being shit tactically isn't the point of discussion (it's already proven, we're just beating a dead horse at this point), we're talking the players hilariously turning on the new manager so quickly after enduring the failure of previous years.

Ralf being not good enough isn't a matter of concern for me personally, because he's just an interim for 6 months. He's not our future and won't be our manager next season.

RedDevilQuebecois

Will say it again, lingard is the mole
This is where I would happily bring Roy Keane in silence to Carrington and then drag Lingard into a room with the Irish devil himself. We will see how this goes after 15 minutes, door locked.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
My feeling is that they are not good enough. Certainly not within 6 months with those coaches.

But it is not like I want to be proven right about it. More like I find it amusing that people for some reason trust this guy. Based on what exactly?

I am just tempering my expectations and maybe others.
Did you trust Ole? I mean, sounding out some of your posts, it seems like you did and what was that based on?

But yeah, RR has not had the majestic CV, though he’s had a great influence on some of the best coaches around. This doesn’t always translate to him being amazing in fairness. I’m just glad it’s a 6 month gig, which seemingly says we have a longer term plan and we are waiting for our first choice to become available.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This is odd isn't it? Rangnick has played Matic back to back and dropped Fred. He dropped both fullbacks to give Telles and Dalot a fair crack. Bar VDB, Martial and Lingard they've all got a fair crack. You can argue two out of those 3 is for good reason.
Rangnick might also be thinking long term. There have been rumours about all three for a long time that they'd be leaving this window. Maybe those aren't just rumours but simple facts inside the club. If Rangnick is trying to find a balance and rhythm with his team, why use these players if they're leaving anyway? (Guess he could have used them as impact subs, but none of them really suit that role very well.)

The United

Is this for real ? People were slaughtering anyone here who talked about Ole relegating Cardiff and managing at Norway as a shit CV for a United manager. Hilarious double standards.

Yeah, we beat some good teams under him. We were still tactically shit and incoherent for the majority of these 3 years, because shock horror, of course in 3 years period we'll have some good games and beat some good teams. We evaluate by the net result, which is the fact he spent the most and achieved the least out of all our post SAF managers.

Anyway, again, Ole being shit tactically isn't the point of discussion (it's already proven, we're just beating a dead horse at this point), we're talking the players hilariously turning on the new manager so quickly after enduring the failure of previous years.

Ralf being not good enough isn't a matter of concern for me personally, because he's just an interim for 6 months. He's not our future and won't be our manager next season.
You are one of those who figured that Ole was not that good? Fair enough and it proves my point.

On the other hands, there were lots of threads and people who said he was pretty decent.

You see what I mean here?

Of course Ralf being not good enough even for 6 months should be a concern for everyone. We should be in CL football next season for any new manager to build on. Otherwise, it will be a bit harder to do rebuilding job and there is no guarantee that a new perm manager will be successful or even Ralf would be in his consultant role.

AshRK

This is where I would happily bring Roy Keane in silence to Carrington and then drag Lingard into a room with the Irish devil himself. We will see how this goes after 15 minutes, door locked.
I would not have any of our legends come back and be associated with the club and spoil their name for this current lot. Ole's legacy is somewhat tarnished, ronaldo seems to be the next victim. I can't hate any more of these ex players who were very fond to me .

But yes Lingard should be thrown out.

mu4c_20le

IF those reports are true, there is nothing hilarious or surprising about players feeling disgruntled if the tactics aren't working. It's only hilarious if you've already created a narrative, and then try to fit everything you see into that narrative. Ole wasn't great tactically but his lineups still made more sense than what we are seeing now.

Sounds like you are one of those "anyone but Ole" types who care little about everything else. It's a huge matter of concern because the next six months could essentially be an audition for him, both to the club and fans. There isn't, or shouldn't be, a guaranteed position in the backroom if his stint turns out to be shit.

The United

Did you trust Ole? I mean, sounding out some of your posts, it seems like you did and what was that based on?

But yeah, RR has not had the majestic CV, though he’s had a great influence on some of the best coaches around. This doesn’t always translate to him being amazing in fairness. I’m just glad it’s a 6 month gig, which seemingly says we have a longer term plan and we are waiting for our first choice to become available.
Trusted Ole to win the title against Pep and Kloop? Not at all. I always thought as he would be solid to get in top 4 but as anyone who follows the football knows that there is a circle. His circle was pretty short on that.

After winning the first 10 or whatever straight games and I thought players responded to whatever. Which is a big deal. Whether he could do it more after that or not was clear to all of us after three years.

The RR influence on Germany coaches could be a bit of exaggerating though. And, almost nobody heard of him which is funny for that kind of status. The likes of Kloop or Tuchel don't even follow his methods strictly. One of the fans from Germany league awhile ago explained how RR's methods were not working and his students who followed his methods strictly did not do good. I mean look at his assistants for example.

I am not sure what the club's longer plan is tbh. I doubt anyone knows after the past 8-9 years. Especially, RR was the one who asked for 2 years consultant role. Not that the club had plan to follow his philosophy or whatever in the first place. Therefore, it is even surprising to me that many fans are expecting that United will be playing a genger pressing style suddenly for long term.

Last edited:

Teja

Get rid.

It's not even been a month of proper training with COVID breaks, fixture congestion etc. The players' understanding of tactics can be seen from the football they've played over the past three years. Regardless of who comes in next (Ten Hag or even Pep / Klopp through some witchcraft), the only constant is going to be an understanding of the game situation and making good decisions appropriately. At the very minimum that's lots and lots of video analysis, lots of pressing / ball progression drills etc. If you don't like it then you're a dinosaur and you can feck off.

It's not enough anymore to play Bruno-ball in possession and simply drop deep in defence. Every time we play a top team we just hope to knick one on the counter, can never be properly proactive.

Some tough love Arteta-style is in order. Doesn't matter how big the star, just drop if they don't fall in line with what the coach wants.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If Ralf is sticking around in a consultancy role then we need to back him to rebuild the club. Any player that doesn't want to be at the club can feck off (not that they will considering the obscene wages they're on).

The players have had it too easy for too long. The expectations have fallen so considerably. They've won absolutely nothing yet they act like they are world beaters with their arrogance & lack of effort in each game (compare that with City & Liverpool players who have actually won trophies). Each time they lose a game & they'll be on social media to post something to get the fans onside. Rinse & repeat. I've had enough of it.

croadyman

Get rid.

It's not even been a month of proper training with COVID breaks, fixture congestion etc. The players' understanding of tactics can be seen from the football they've played over the past three years. Regardless of who comes in next (Ten Hag or even Pep / Klopp through some witchcraft), the only constant is going to be an understanding of the game situation and making good decisions appropriately. At the very minimum that's lots and lots of video analysis, lots of pressing / ball progression drills etc. If you don't like it then you're a dinosaur and you can feck off.

It's not enough anymore to play Bruno-ball in possession and simply drop deep in defence. Every time we play a top team we just hope to knick one on the counter, can never be properly proactive.

Some tough love Arteta-style is in order. Doesn't matter how big the star, just drop if they don't fall in line with what the coach wants.
I hate to break it to you but looks very much like the ones above Ralf are dictating when these players should start and tieing his hands

Pronewbie

Peep
Let's see how this all plays out over the next few weeks. It's going to be a litmus test of Rangnick's management skills. He has the backing of the vast majority of fans vs this group of players and an open January window.

I still think Conte would have been a better fit, but I can see what the club are trying to achieve with Rangnick.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I back Rangnick in this case. These same players threw the two previous managers under the bus. If they want to go let them go. If it were ferguson they would be sold cheap like Beckham was.

The club really is rotten.

Winrar

All that past 5 games has shown us is that Ole has not really left the team in a "better shape" like many said. (including myself to be honest)

Our team spirit is nonexistent, and our playing style is near nonexistent.

Rangnick has a hell of a job on his hands in 5 months. It's not looking encouraging so far but it'll take some time to sort this out and I will back him until end of the season.

croadyman

Let's see how this all plays out over the next few weeks. It's going to be a litmus test of Rangnick's management skills. He has the backing of the vast majority of fans vs this group of players and an open January window.

I still think Conte would have been a better fit, but I can see what the club are trying to achieve with Rangnick.
What backing from this group of players, have you not seen those tweets about utter discontent towards his methods

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Rotten rotten state of the club. Lingard should have been gone two years ago. If it were ferguson in charge and wanted rid of a player the player was gone. The accounts department of the club doesnt want to let the players go cheaply, so we have to stick with them. That is the impression i get.

bosskeano

Lingard without question needs to go....hard to Henderson to get minutes right now with how well DDG is playing but anything outside the prem he should be playing in those matches until the CL resumes

Bailly has room to whine when the fecker can't stay fit. Once he can do that then we should talk.

The only one that baffles me if DvB simply b/c our midfield is crying out for a guy who wants the ball at his feet and can make a bloody pass

Pronewbie

Peep
We also need to stop making excuses for our managers. If Rangnick fails to control the dressing room and improve our football then we have to call a spade a spade, because the world class ones would have the finesse to navigate through such situations promptly in most cases.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Henderson must read Redcafe and get these ideas that he somehow deserve to be No 1 ahead of De Gea.

All 4 can go as far as i am concerned. VDB is the only one who has something to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.