Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajma

Anyone siding with Martial here, clearly haven’t had enough yet of this rotten culture at the club.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
That's also my impression. Especially as Rangnick doesn't have a history of throwing players under the bus, let alone for no reason.

If the board doesn't support Rangnick in clearing out unwanted players and doesn't back him in the transfer window, I can't see how he will succeed. If you hire Rangnick you need to trust him.

Martial wants out, Sevilla is interested but United insists on Sevilla paying his whole wages and 7 million loan fee. No club will ever accept this for a player like Marcial.

Rangnick wants several midfielders but the board seems to have doubts and doesn't seem to get these players on board. Zakaria would even been a bargain considering the fees United is usually paying.
I can't see Rangnick to succeed under these circumstances and wouldn't be surprised if just walk away rather sooner than later.
Generally I would agree that Rangnick simply walking away is a real possibility if his ambitions and demands are ignored, but he was hoping for a big job in England all his career, so maybe he will show a bit more patience and endurance than he usually does.

Nordmore

With all due respect, nobody gives a flying feck for a U23 game if senior team needs players. These kids are there to fight for the senior squad places. Players like Amad and Shoretire are expected to be recalled in exactly situations like these and it's actually a travesty that they are not. You can't be seriously arguing that we couldn't find 2 youth players for a senior game. At United! Come on, now.
You're right about the part Ralf should have called some of the U23 for our last match. That I'd agree. But I'm not sure if calling a young player to a senior match, even on the bench without enough time training with the senior squad is a good idea.

Usually the process should be them training with the senior squad for a while before making the bench. To throw a young player into a senior match without adequate preparation imo is pretty irresponsible for both the team and the player.

Anyway imo what he did with Heaton was still the right thing to do.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Only it’s not one source is it?

Both Rob Dawson in the ESPN and David McDonnell in The Mirror, who are both decent journos, have both indicated that it was more of a misunderstanding. This, Martial’s denial and the fact the club didn’t punish Martial is probably further proof that this has been blown massively out of proportion. Would it actually kill you to show a tiny bit of balance? Even the most arduous Martial defenders conceded that him refusing to play was unacceptable, yet you can’t concede that there’s even a slight possibility that this whole situation isn’t what it was made out to be. I guess we’ll see from Rangnick’s presser but I suspect that even if he confirms that he didn’t refuse to play you’ll twist it and use it to bash Martial. And it’s a bit rich for you to talk about poor sources, if it was a negative story about Martial you know full well you wouldn’t care about it’s credibility.
Whether it's been lost in translation, blown out of proportion or whatever, there is probably a very good reason why Martial is not considered as a starter. Multiple chances to start, impress and do his job have passed him by under multiple managers. He's had the bad cop with Jose, the arm round the shoulder from Ole bigging him up and now the pragmatist Ralf who is very clear in what he wants from players.

He knows full well its professional suicide to refuse to play. Firstly his wages would be docked. Secondly he knows any potential suitors would be taking a bit of a step back. Who wants that attitude coming into their club.

It's highly plausible RR had him in the squad. No doubt they went over multiple game scenarios in which winning loosing or drawing the chances of Martial playing significant time would be limited. Highly likely he could have said to RR if I'm here just to make the squad numbers I'd prefer not to travel.

For the sake of his own career, its best both club and players part ways.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ralf never said Martial refused to play but only that for unknown reasons to us he didn't want to be part of the squad for the Villa match.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
we cant control a game, maybe we could. What use are so many attakcers when they dont see the ball much cause we get dominated and overran
On the flip side it may just further highlight we have a weak midfield and reduce any attacking threat or creativity we have.
Teams are and can be successful playing 2 midfielders so that isn’t the reason we play so disjointed in possession.

I think at this stage people are just looking for a quick fix, and there isn’t one. Both Mourinho and Ole clearly did not coach controlling the ball well (Mourinho is famous for liking his teams to play without the Ball and Ole just isn’t a top level coach who seemed to be able to coach counter attacking and nothing else) you don’t just get over 5 + years of bad coaching in a few weeks.
Add to that out squad building has been terrible for over a decade, again that is reflected on the pitch and what team a manger coming in can put out.

The bottom line is what ever formation you pick there is significant issues because of the imbalance and sustained bad coaching of the squad.

Fluctuation0161

Anyone siding with Martial here, clearly haven’t had enough yet of this rotten culture at the club.
Yep.

Likely events were. Martial not showing interest, at best implying he doesn't care if he is picked, or more likely saying he would prefer not to play and wants a transfer.

Why can't our board ever sell players? We've got more deadwood then the Mary Celeste.

Anustart89

Have we considered the possibility that Martial didn't want to sit on the bench because benches make his mental health suffer? No? Oh, okay.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Yep.

Likely events were. Martial not showing interest, at best implying he doesn't care if he is picked, or more likely saying he would prefer not to play and wants a transfer.

Why can't our board ever sell players? We've got more deadwood then the Mary Celeste.
We should use Chelsea as a subcontractor for selling. They sell our players for us and get a percentage of the fee.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Have we considered the possibility that Martial didn't want to sit on the bench because benches make his mental health suffer? No? Oh, okay.
Is this a ridiculous attempt at making a joke at the suffers of mental health?

Anustart89

Is this a ridiculous attempt at making a joke at the suffers of mental health?
No, it’s mocking those invoking the mental health argument but only for players they like. Martial has never had that luxury since being branded lazy about four years ago.

DSG

I don't see Rangnick or any other coach salvaging this season, so its pointless to get rid of him.

Maybe if we'd have backed him, given the dressing room any kind of reason to fear/respect him, he'd be doing better? However, they're all treating him as a placeholder it seems. Which, in some ways, you can't blame them for. The Board is openly treating him as a placeholder and showing leg to Pochettino, Ten Hag and anyone else they fancy.

The players, of course, should play for their professional pride and the desire to do right by themselves, their reputations and their fans. However, I think we've seen enough of this group to know that won't happen. They let it be known they weren't happy to drive home in the dark from training!

So I guess we just go through the motions until May and hope this group, who've been called out on their attitude by the most hard working footballer -- Cristiano Ronaldo, suddenly discovers a bit of fight under a new man.
I’m of a different mind. With this wage bill and these players — a talented squad, we know this, we’ve seen it before! — I believe a real taskmaster could get them to perform. I have no idea who that is because all the top managers are already in jobs. But why not take a chance on Galtier or Lopetegui or [insert name here]. It would be tragic if we were unable to qualify for the CL given the talent we have in this squad. Yes, it’s unbalanced. I know, the midfield. We’re at defcon 1 here and if you don’t get a song out of these players, we might as well burn down Old Trafford.

DSG

No, it’s mocking those invoking the mental health argument but only for players they like. Martial has never had that luxury since being branded lazy about four years ago.
It makes sense.
The fact that we are debating a player who is currently 8th in the pecking order of our attackers is like complaining that the reason we aren’t playing well is because the food at Carrington isn’t good enough. Who cares? Martial has nothing to do with our dire performances on the pitch.

Ralf needs to turn this around, Martial isn’t part of the solution. Any energy devoted to Martial is time away from figuring out how to perform better.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I’m of a different mind. With this wage bill and these players — a talented squad, we know this, we’ve seen it before! — I believe a real taskmaster could get them to perform. I have no idea who that is because all the top managers are already in jobs. But why not take a chance on Galtier or Lopetegui or [insert name here]. It would be tragic if we were unable to qualify for the CL given the talent we have in this squad. Yes, it’s unbalanced. I know, the midfield. We’re at defcon 1 here and if you don’t get a song out of these players, we might as well burn down Old Trafford.
Yes the players are talented.

However, are they suited to form a coherent team and play a style of football that makes them even better than only their individual quality?
Man City is a prime example in the EPL were the playing system makes the players even as a team than individuals.

DSG

Yes the players are talented.

However, are they suited to form a coherent team and play a style of football that makes them even better than only their individual quality?
Man City is a prime example in the EPL were the playing system makes the players even as a team than individuals.
All of these players have played in a “system” that can reach the top 4. If you insist on Ralf’s system, then perhaps not. But you can’t turnover the entire squad. That will take years. Your only option is to either have Ralf do a better job of coaching (haven’t seen it yet), or revert to an Ole style 4-2-3-1. Once you secure 4th and find your permanent manager, then you can get into a system-based approach. Hundreds of millions of pounds are at stake here.

git_united

Hope he sticks with the three man midfield with Elanga on the left and Sancho on the right.

Not sure about who plays center forward given how poor Cavani's link up play has been. I guess Ronaldo.

Re-Martial, Rangnick flubbed that one. Poor, poor, poor. There were so many other ways to have handled it. Yet I'm in the wordplay camp here. Martial saying 'I've never refused to play' leaves a lot of room for both statements to be true.

Doesn't matter if he 'lied' or not. He is the boss, he decides. Whether he is a charlatan or not is secondary.

If he interpreted Martial's response as a refusal to play, then that's how it is.
This, Martial obviously didn’t give a clear enough answer that could be misinterpreted, there shouldn’t be any doubt at all. You either want to play and be available or you don’t.

It’s absolutely crazy the guy is on 250k a week and not giving his best. Can’t believe he was my favourite player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Right now I don’t think our problem is controlling games under Ralf. I can see the progress there in the off the ball work he’s asking the players to do and how it should all come together if the forwards sort it out

Under Fergie we used to control certain games even less but we were ruthless fit and aggressive on the counter and in attacking transitions. If our forwards were at the races we’d be containing teams and pinning them back for longer periods. The fact is that they are still miles off a top attacking unit in creatively and working for each other. They still lose the ball and waste chances too often. On any given week it’s 3 or 4 individuals with the full backs getting involved too. McT and Fred have recently been providing the spark in the absence of any creativity from the forwards but that’s obviously not sustainable. The forwards need to get their act together asap or we will continue to flounder in the EL spots with the richest forward line in the league

Mr PG

If Martial wants to l=play so bad....why not take a paycut to fit in Sevilla wage structure.....Man utd should not under any circumstances pay any part of his salary so he can play for another club

RuudTom83

Respect to Ralf! he is coping well with all the fires that need putting out at United. His presence in front of the media has stayed stable which can't be easy, especially when performances and results have not been fantastic* (love you Ole) plus half the team wants to leave and other players kicking up a fuss over every aspect of the regime.

Keep strong Ralf!

Ixion

If Martial wants to l=play so bad....why not take a paycut to fit in Sevilla wage structure.....Man utd should not under any circumstances pay any part of his salary so he can play for another club
It is United that insist Sevilla pay all his wages which has to honour the contract he has with us, that's just how it works, Martial one way or another has to get what is in his current contract. He's not going to negotiate a new 6 month contract with United for lower wages so they will take him on loan.

OrcaFat

I see a lot of argument about whose fault it is that we’re not very good at the moment but “a bit of everything” is the real reason, in my opinion.

The players are mostly good but a lot of them are down on confidence and out of form. This is a temporary problem.

RR has a good reputation and some positives on his CV but never had a job this size. But it doesn’t make him a bad manager and he doesn’t look out of his depth to me. He does look a bit miserable about the size of the task but I think he’ll adjust to that, will keep working and will turn it around.

Going back to the squad, it is lacking at CM, RB and CF. Three or four good signings will address the main weaknesses in the playing staff.

Bottom line - we are not as far away as it looks at the moment.

crossy1686

career ending
This only true if we don’t see Maguire, Shaw and Bissaka starting anymore and it starts tomorrow.

If it‘s true then our targets will be 1 midfield, 1 RB, 1 LB, and 1 CB in the summer.
We’re a bit thin on the ground so I wouldn’t be surprised if they played some part in the season, but long term they’re not good enough and I’m glad someone had the balls to say it, although it’s worrying there is a leak, unless it’s Ralf himself?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If even of half of it is right , he is doing a great job .

Everyone but our board knew AWB and Maguire isn't good enough. But Shaw is a surprising choice in that list.

Another rebuild then.

Greck

Although to be fair we don't need a briefing to know what any manager who doesn't play 90s football will think about Bissaka.

Amazingly shortsighted nationality over quality signing. I wonder what Phelan thinks as the Buy English spree that summer was reportedly partly his brainchild. Thank God he didn't get that exec role. First question should always be "does the player fit man united?" then look at nationality not the other way round.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
AWB is very poor, i will give him that. Maguire for 80 million should be better. But shaw i think is decent. There was a while under ole where he was very good. Granted though he is having a terrible season so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.