Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
AWB is very poor, i will give him that. Maguire for 80 million should be better. But shaw i think is decent. There was a while under ole where he was very good. Granted though he is having a terrible season so far.
Shaw came with a lot of promise and everyone liked him but has he really kicked on and become the player we hoped he would? His form is so inconsistent and he doesn't assist or score enough.

Peak Shawberto is good enough for us but I'm not sure if he can sustain that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We’re a bit thin on the ground so I wouldn’t be surprised if they played some part in the season, but long term they’re not good enough and I’m glad someone had the balls to say it, although it’s worrying there is a leak, unless it’s Ralf himself?
If just one of them start tomorrow then the guy who reported that is fraud. We will see tomorrow.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Tough to decide who's opinion I care less about RR's or Graeme Bailey at 90 minute football...

Ixion

I've said before that we could lose Shaw and Maguire and wouldn't be worse off but there is no way this is true. The board wouldn't entertain it and Ralf wouldn't be saying something like that so quickly. Clickbait nonsense.

mk7

Would be a bold and also welcome move. Bad thing is that we would probably release them on a free because no one would buy them.

passing-wind

AWB is very poor, i will give him that. Maguire for 80 million should be better. But shaw i think is decent. There was a while under ole where he was very good. Granted though he is having a terrible season so far.
Maguire has been a awful if not worse than AWB.

Smores

It's bollocks the press are just putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with stories right now.

We play Wolves we want Neves, we play Villa we want McGinn. Wonder who from the Brentford team they'll claim we're after.

The United

No one would do a presentation to tell which players are not good enough to the board. Especially when you are an interim manager.

It is also hard to believe that Shaw would not be good enough for any style. I mean it would have more leg if we are talking about the likes of city or pool intense playing style. Shaw is one of the top players in this squad at our current level. His technical ability is higher than most in the squad and he is levels above most LB in the premier league when on form like last season.

Sounds like some people are going hard on the so-called 'dress room split' between English lads and the rest?

macheda14

It's bollocks the press are just putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with stories right now.

We play Wolves we want Neves, we play Villa we want McGinn. Wonder who from the Brentford team they'll claim we're after.
It’s not even the press. It’s one 2-bit journo.

Lee565

It will be an absolute joke if he doesn't have some real big influence in his consultancy role as otherwise this experiment of appointmenting him manager for the rest of the season when he has barely managed in the past decade and has no experience of managing a club of our size will have been all for nothing and the club showing whole new level of ineptitude

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Give rangnick the damn keys so that he can clear out the trash before he moves upstairs and the ETH does not have to deal with this crap.

Greck

Give rangnick the damn keys so that he can clear out the trash before he moves upstairs and the ETH does not have to deal with this crap.
Fat chance. The people who hired him were integral parts of the structure that sanctioned the bringing in of a lot of that garbage. They'll probably wait till he leaves the room then laugh at him for daring to say wonderkid Wan Bissaka had bad technique.

alexthelion

We’re a bit thin on the ground so I wouldn’t be surprised if they played some part in the season, but long term they’re not good enough and I’m glad someone had the balls to say it, although it’s worrying there is a leak, unless it’s Ralf himself?
Not good enough?

Shaw was the best LB in the league last season, Maguire was close to being the best CB. AWB, OK, there may be a point there.

I swear, poster's memories are so short.

OrcaFat

Not good enough?

Shaw was the best LB in the league last season, Maguire was close to being the best CB. AWB, OK, there may be a point there.

Yeah. It’s pretty shocking.

Shaw is brilliant but in poor form. Maguire, when fit, is one of the best in the league even allowing for his lack of mobility, but is injured and in poor form. AWB is great defensively and improving going forward, not the biggest problem we have, in my view.

I think all three have a future here. Pretty sure RR will have other priorities than replacing those guys.

Greck

Don't know if true but the way people can't fathom how a manager might have a different opinion of who fits his system. A manager with a narrow system might want his fullbacks to be experts at crossing. It's not just stacking the best 11 players from the previous manager into the team. Some modern managers would replace De Gea in a heartbeat. It has nothing to do with being ungrateful.

Live with the fact that fit is integral to tactical setups. You think Ten Haag would buy AWB? Pep would rather start an inferior scorer from his reserves than start Lukaku. Specified skillsets is what they look for nowadays.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Fat chance. The people who hired him were integral parts of the structure that sanctioned the bringing in of a lot of that garbage. They'll probably wait till he leaves the room then laugh at him for daring to say wonderkid Wan Bissaka had bad technique.
We wont improve till accountants and bank executives are making footballing decisions.

Its absurd that glazers are allowing this! they don't employ a doctor to do an engineers job so why are employing an accountant to take footballing decisions ?

crossy1686

career ending
Not good enough?

There's nothing wrong with my memory, I remember Shaw being shocking for years, I've never been convinced by Maguire and Wan-Bissaka had one good season at Palace before we splashed out £50m. There's a lot of recency bias in football and people are quick to forget just how shit some of our players were before they had one good season. None of those players start for a top 2 team.

flameinthesun

I reckon if we are commited to working with Ralf to overhaul the club, team and look for the right manager then we should go all in. As good as Shaw was last season I think he is a fullback that can be replaced, as good as he can be on his day his career here shows that a title challenging team probably cannot rely on him physically and mentally. AWB simply is not technically and attacking wise good enough for a title challenging team. Maguire I don't think is an elite CB and I don't think he would settle for a place on the bench. So I could see them leaving and I don't think it would be too difficult to upgrade them if we are committed to spending money. A lot of the players at this club could be upgraded pretty easily and thats part of the issues at the club. We've also needed to upgrade the manager for ages now. If we want to win titles again we need best in class or players who can become best in class in every position including the manager.

redmanx

Dear Ralf, be bold and drain the swamp.

Thanks
Thats what I hoped he would do, but instead it seems hes brought Martial back for Brentford and is talking up Pogba. Unbelievable and my faith in Rangnick is rapidly draining away.

The United

Not sure if we have a good enough DM for that.

But I welcome that change and see how it goes.

buchansleftleg

Ralf is coming across as knowledgeable and pragmatic. Maguire will never suit a pressing team as he has the turning circle of a tanker in the Suez canal and no pace to recover if he is forced to leave space behind him.

We need to buy this guy a DM so we are not trying to limp to the end of the season with Grampa Matic and the inconsistent Mctominay in the side.

Greck

Ralf is coming across as knowledgeable and pragmatic. Maguire will never suit a pressing team as he has the turning circle of a tanker in the Suez canal and no pace to recover if he is forced to leave space behind him.

We need to buy this guy a DM so we are not trying to limp to the end of the season with Grampa Matic and the inconsistent Mctominay in the side.
The shock is shocking. Let's temporarily put aside the fact it's probably fake for a second, if you didn't already know many progressive managers would have a problem with Maguire and AWB where have you been the past 15 years? This is why we needed a qualified DoF, one that isn't from the old boys.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
WOW

Manchester United interim manager Ralf Rangnick is planning a dramatic overhaul of the club's defence – with Harry Maguire, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Luke Shaw all for the chop.
Source: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/news...e-aaron-wan-bissaka-and-luke-shaw-all-leaving

I am a bit in shock. I mean, I agree with Maguire 100% and can't believe Rangnick has power to actually make it happen. AWB is nice guy but not good enough for an ambitious club. I don't really get Luke Shaw, however. Luke's attitude seems great, he is great in his best form and good enough as a backup at least.

Greck

I also like Luke but Rangnick needs to let the new manager get in first. He might use Luke. AWB is probably hopeless and I still can't believe Maguire was made club captain before playing a game. Then again our technical director started the same season as our under 16 coach so earning roles isn't how things are done here.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I find it worrying that he's praising midtable football, that comes across as the same delusion Ole had for the majority of his tenure. United plays like a midtable side and the manager praises them for it.

I don't know whether it's because they are failing and therefore are actively trying to lower the standard, or if they genuinely think their side had a good performance.

Ixion

I find it worrying that he's praising midtable football, that comes across as the same delusion Ole had for the majority of his tenure. United plays like a midtable side and the manager praises them for it.

I don't know whether it's because they are failing and therefore are actively trying to lower the standard, or if they genuinely think their side had a good performance.
Im sure it's just about context compared to how we have been playing, even midtable football is an improvement on some of the performances we've seen this season.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Im sure it's just about context compared to how we have been playing, even midtable football is an improvement on some of the performances we've seen this season.
Which is far from praiseworthy, it is an improvement on the terrible football we've played before but by no means good, impressive or in control.

We thought standards would be raised by Ralf coming, he is just continuing the same mediocrity. Aston Villa were by no means worse than United, had higher xG and that was without a keeper blunder. Any man that is impressed by that performance, probably shouldnt have a big role at the club if the club wants to compete with City and Liverpool.

Ixion

Which is far from praiseworthy, it is an improvement on the terrible football we've played before but by no means good, impressive or in control.

We thought standards would be raised by Ralf coming, he is just continuing the same mediocrity. Aston Villa were by no means worse than United, had higher xG and that was without a keeper blunder. Any man that is impressed by that performance, probably shouldnt have a big role at the club if the club wants to compete with City and Liverpool.
He isn't impressed with it, he's just talking about improvement and highlighting better control which we've lacked. I think he's been quite honest about our performances in general to be honest.

Bondi77

I must say I am impressed with Ralf in the pressers....no twitching or flapping around when being questioned and he addresses the issue.

Gordon Godot

I must say I am impressed with Ralf in the pressers....no twitching or flapping around when being questioned and he addresses the issue.
Agree, he is straight forward and clear, itself a massive upgrade from Ole. As to those posters who seem to be jumping all over Ralf. What did you expect? He is an itnerim mamanger for 6 months, with a toxic ,overpaid and underperforming squad, in a dysfunctional club with no coherent decision making structure. Sure his assistants may not be the best, but who would leave a safe job for 6 months in another country? Why not focus frustrations on where it belongs, the Glazers and the useful idiot(s) they employ who have brought this club to its knees. Ralf doing his best with a sh*t show. Lets support him, for gods sake the top reds supported Ole as he drove us off a cliff and was clearly so far out of his depth. Protest agains the Glazers, Woodward etc. Ralk should become DoF, not a pointless and powerless consultant.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lets be honest nobody is leaving until the new manager comes in. It's up to them to make a proper final decision.

if he truly doesn't rate Shaw then I have to say i'm quite confused. Is he perfect? no, but he's a very good player. Who would have said he wasn't good enough at the Euros?

He's had a wobbly few months and a couple of injuries, but he's one of our only players that doesn't shit themselves whenever they get the ball.

Bestietom

I reckon if we are commited to working with Ralf to overhaul the club, team and look for the right manager then we should go all in. As good as Shaw was last season I think he is a fullback that can be replaced, as good as he can be on his day his career here shows that a title challenging team probably cannot rely on him physically and mentally. AWB simply is not technically and attacking wise good enough for a title challenging team. Maguire I don't think is an elite CB and I don't think he would settle for a place on the bench. So I could see them leaving and I don't think it would be too difficult to upgrade them if we are committed to spending money. A lot of the players at this club could be upgraded pretty easily and thats part of the issues at the club. We've also needed to upgrade the manager for ages now. If we want to win titles again we need best in class or players who can become best in class in every position including the manager.
I think the commitment with Rangnick or anyone else to overhaul this club was another scheme to pull the wool over our eyes again. They won't even allow him bring in a couple of midfielders that will cost very little towards what we paid for shit.

Bestietom

Agree, he is straight forward and clear, itself a massive upgrade from Ole. As to those posters who seem to be jumping all over Ralf. What did you expect? He is an itnerim mamanger for 6 months, with a toxic ,overpaid and underperforming squad, in a dysfunctional club with no coherent decision making structure. Sure his assistants may not be the best, but who would leave a safe job for 6 months in another country? Why not focus frustrations on where it belongs, the Glazers and the useful idiot(s) they employ who have brought this club to its knees. Ralf doing his best with a sh*t show. Lets support him, for gods sake the top reds supported Ole as he drove us off a cliff and was clearly so far out of his depth. Protest agains the Glazers, Woodward etc. Ralk should become DoF, not a pointless and powerless consultant.
Well done.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
At the start I thought his honesty was good and refreshing but it might start to become detrimental if he isn't careful.

Roane

I wasn't sure if this warranted a different thread so am putting it here.

What exactly do people see as Ralf role since his appointment?

I mean as fans we see the team and the displays and we are judging the guy on that. We complain about what isn't changing and why certain players are played over others and the style and the philosophy and what not.

But is that and was that the reason for Ralfs appointment as interim manager with a consultancy role after?

Yes he is interim manager and will be given a consultancy role after but does that not suggest his remit is wider and more far reaching than just how we are on the pitch currently? Or even for his 6 month interim manager period?

We read reports (more than likely made up) how he has done a presentation to say 3 players are not good enough for us. Obviously discussion has ensued and I stress it's more than likely rubbish, however isn't that kind of his role now going on to when he is in the consultancy role?

Having some experience in consultancy type roles I undertook a feasibility study into community centres. Long story won't bore you with it but it was tasked as there was a demand for one in an area I was working in. On taking the role I was welcomed by the locals but not so loved after I finished as my result was basically no we shouldn't build one. The initial love in was because they finally felt they had someone who was going to go away and fight for them to get a community centre. But that wasn't my role. It was to take stock, see what the demands were, the logistics, the money, the day to day running, volunteers etc etc. It involves visiting other centres around the country, highlighting the issues (negative and positive) and ultimately writing a report and doing a presentation.

I was obviously not well liked when I submitted my findings, the pressure from locals via councillors and MPs meant we set up a temporary one. The very vocal locals who had hated me for saying no we're happy. But 3 months down the line desperate for the thing to stop as the reasons I had highlighted came to the fore. End result no community centre.

Sorry to bore you with the story but ultimately isn't Ralf in to do what I did? And initially be criticised or disliked as we don't see the changes we want?

As fans we just want to see good football and league position and trophies. But is that really what Ralf has come in to do in 6 months or is it a case of taking stock, giving reports about what is working what isn't and a forward plan?

Are we then being harsh on judging him in the now? The performances, players leaving or not performing etc or is this basically the pain we will go through to see some semblance of progress from the last few years?

It's a difficult one as only time will tell and even if his remit is a feasibility/taking stock one doesn't mean he will be the right guy in the end. He could well be but we simply won't know untill we see what major changes happen during and after his 6 months eg players out players in and manager.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws because I can't take where we are as a club or maybe we shouldn't be judging Ralf on the performances alone and need to see the bigger picture?

Edit: maybe someone could she's some light onto something I read about the Glazers and their American football team. Didn't they bring in a guy, similar to how they've bought in Ralf, to help guide them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.