Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Ralf isn’t like any other interim is he?

He has 2 year consulting role after his interim role is done.

He is implementing a style that will be carried forward next season or at the very least help the next manager to have something to work with.

The club took a step forward by hiring Ralf and the work he is doing. Instead of hiring an interim who performs for the reminder of the season and we have to start from scratch next season. We actually have a plan that stands to benefit us in the long run.

Lets also not forget that the targets you mentioned were not available when we hired Ralf, so this is the next best thing the club could have done.

So lets give Ralf time to work with the team so that we can carry the positives over to next season.
We don't even know what this "consultancy" role means. Nothing indicates he'll in charge of anything and it's just the fans theorizing his role. There's a big chance his role will be just to give personal opinions no one really listen to. The club didn't even say he'll be DOF, just "consultant", nothing else. What does "consultant" mean ?

Honestly, I'm tried of these false hopes fans keep convincing themselves with in literally every appointment.

When I see signs of improvement I'll point them out. I'm done convincing myself that time will solve everything. That's what United told me. Waiting never ended in any positive result so far for me to think it'll work this time.

Jezpeza

Ten Hag has pedigree as one of the best up and coming managers in the world. I'd judge him in a similar way to Klopp, that's the point.

Ralf has it all to prove still and whilst controlling games (I saw none of that 2nd half btw) is nice, we need the results now. Controlling games against Burnley and Boro? Really?

Besides, it's almost certain that Ralf isn't staying beyond this season so the steady progress whilst dropping points argument is a bit flawed. Ralf has to sort this quickly and the players need to be more clinical, or we're heading for 6/7th.

I look forward to seeing how you defend him when he starts Maguire again at the weekend.
IMO Ralf is a bit of a yesterday's man. This narrative of controlling games is built on possession stats. But we did loads of that under LVG. Its just like watching LVGgames again, too much harmless posession. We arent scoring much and we arent that tight at the back. And thats been consistent for a while now. Only so long before the ‘luck’ argument gets a bit silly. Hes done average at best from a fairly favourable run of fixtures.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
The job of the manager is to create a system which enables the team to have control of the game and create sufficient chances for the players to score and thereby win a game of football.

The last two games we have had control of the game and have created enough chances to win those games comfortably. However, our players have not been able to convert most of those chances and for that the manager cannot be blamed. Same with ref's making shit decisions.

This is not on rangnick.

flappyjay

People who keep on talking about knee jerk, impatient fans and issues not being solved over the night, do realize these kind of posts were written about pretty much every single manager we have had post Fergie ?

Like, do you guys ever learn ?

Ralf isn't going to be our permanent manager and under no circumstances he should be. He's not as good as you guys want to believe, full stop. Hasn't shown anything to show otherwise either.

He's just an interim and he doesn't deserve to stay past this season because even as an interim, he has been shit at his job so far.
Exactly he was to come in steady the ship and take the results on the pitch in the right direction. There is an acceptance of mediocrity. Look at the job Conte is doing at Spurs, Xavi has tuned Barca around, Tuchel at Chelsea last season. Our fans are satisfied with the fact that he treats our players different from Ole, they like a stern hand. Same with players if a player comes in and runs around a lot they fall in love until they realise hold on something is missing from player/manager.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Exactly he was to come in steady the ship and take the results on the pitch in the right direction. There is an acceptance of mediocrity. Look at the job Conte is doing at Spurs, Xavi has tuned Barca around, Tuchel at Chelsea last season. Our fans are satisfied with the fact that he treats our players different from Ole, they like a stern hand. Same with players if a player comes in and runs around a lot they fall in love until they realise hold on something is missing from player/manager.
Conte has 6 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss in 10
Xavi has 6 wins, 3 draws , 1 loss in 10

Ralf has 5 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss in 9.

And former 2 spent a lot in Jan and we spent none.

Atleast get your facts right , FFS.

Moriarty

I think a lot of fans realize that until there's a radical change at the top, nothing will change. Any manager will have to fit in, or at least go along, with the ethos of the board and not kick over the traces. There's only so much RR can do. He can't alienate the players and he is subordinate to Murtough and Arnold, maybe Fletcher too, so we can't expect to see a radical change.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I didn't expect much from him as interim manager but liked the idea of bringing a football guy to consult/oversee/sort shit out.

Fact is, we are rotten to the core, fans included (probably more precise to say "followers"). What we need is someone who is NOT the manager helping sort it out as managers are always vulnerable to results despite these requiring players performing.

For that so far he looks as good as anyone and I find the slow progress a good thing in that it may knock any nonsense about becoming permanent manager out of the park. That would just mean we are wasting these months for nothing. Same old shit really.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There's only so much RR can do. He can't alienate the players and he is subordinate to Murtough and Arnold, maybe Fletcher too, so we can't expect to see a radical change.
True.

However, what I personally hoped - and still hope, I suppose - is that we didn't hire him without giving him considerable power in terms of making big decisions on the football side of things.

It would be a travesty otherwise, even for us: if we just wanted someone, anyone to replace Ole in an interim capacity - we could have hired...anyone. Rangnick's strength isn't his proven ability as a short term caretaker - even our board must realize this.

(Whether his actual strength - as a team builder - is ultimately translatable to the situation at United...is another question. But at least it makes sense to try something we - clearly - have not tried before).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I didn't expect much from him as interim manager but liked the idea of bringing a football guy to consult/oversee/sort shit out.

Fact is, we are rotten to the core, fans included (probably more precise to say "followers"). What we need is someone who is NOT the manager helping sort it out as managers are always vulnerable to results despite these requiring players performing.

For that so far he looks as good as anyone and I find the slow progress a good thing in that it may knock any nonsense about becoming permanent manager out of the park. That would just mean we are wasting these months for nothing. Same old shit really.
Yep - exactly.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
The only way to win consistenty vs crap teams is to play proaktive offensive fotball like Klopp or Pep. For that we need a massive new overhaul with the right characters. I believe Ragnick can be the man for this if Ten Hag doesnt want to come. Poch is a massive no for me.

Or who am i kidding. The Glazers only want to sign marketable players, and will overrule every demand from the manager in the transfer market

Joel Miller

Yeah right - maybe Liverpool should have applied your logic with Klopp in the same stage of the progress
Did Klopp take over a side that finished second and have them struggling badly for the top 4? Also worth noting that Klopp came with a huge reputation and aura as someone who’d won the Bundesliga twice and taken Dortmund to a CL final, so there was a lot of trust there that he would get it right.

Rangnick clearly doesn’t or he’d have been sought out by other top sides long before now. His early stage “square pegs in round holes“ approach is unlikely to have done anything to gain more trust either with the failing system he opted to use. So all in all, they’re not really comparable are they…..

phelans shorts

Because it's his actual job to do press conferences and answer press questions.
It is, but you can easily do that without throwing your players under the bus. Particularly when you then go on to whinge about said players challenging your answers for being inaccurate.

I quite like what we’ve seen on field under Ralf, but his communication is blatantly absolutely atrocious, and it’s very easy to see why he’s had so much more success as a DOF/consultant than as a manager.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Did Klopp take over a side that finished second and have them struggling badly for the top 4? Also worth noting that Klopp came with a huge reputation and aura as someone who’d won the Bundesliga twice and taken Dortmund to a CL final, so there was a lot of trust there that he would get it right.

Rangnick clearly doesn’t or he’d have been sought out by other top sides long before now. His early stage “square pegs in round holes“ approach is unlikely to have done anything to gain more trust either with the failing system he opted to use. So all in all, they’re not really comparable are they…..
Klopp didn't take over a side that had their pants pulled down by pretty much any team in the season he joined to the level where it was embarrassing.

His early stage was forgivable, he didn't see 4222 as a long term system but rather a quick fix to get through fixtures whilst covering defensive frailties. It's no surprise he's adjusted to a more suitable system over time.

And Rangnick isn't just a manager, I'm getting tired of people moaning about he hasn't represented a top club at manager level. He's been in DoF roles too. And the argument that only we're in for him is flawed anyway, Chelsea wanted him ahead of Tuchel.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It is, but you can easily do that without throwing your players under the bus. Particularly when you then go on to whinge about said players challenging your answers for being inaccurate.

I quite like what we’ve seen on field under Ralf, but his communication is blatantly absolutely atrocious, and it’s very easy to see why he’s had so much more success as a DOF/consultant than as a manager.
I don't think Rangnick threw anyone under the bus, at least not on purpose.
I just think he doesn't realize or care that his giving out information ends up being encroaching on his interacting partners.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Klopp didn't take over a side that had their pants pulled down by pretty much any team in the season he joined to the level where it was embarrassing.

His early stage was forgivable, he didn't see 4222 as a long term system but rather a quick fix to get through fixtures whilst covering defensive frailties. It's no surprise he's adjusted to a more suitable system over time.

And Rangnick isn't just a manager, I'm getting tired of people moaning about he hasn't represented a top club at manager level. He's been in DoF roles too. And the argument that only we're in for him is flawed anyway, Chelsea wanted him ahead of Tuchel.
Or so he says. Good thing Marina is not as childishly on Twitter as Jesse Lingard is.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You think he's chatting out of his arse?
No, I don't think that. Chelsea might very well have approached him for a possible interim job when they sacked Lampard, I don't doubt that.

But I don't think he was ever their favourite over Tuchel, why would he be. Which is implicit in how he tells it, that they wanted him only until summer, and I think it's not very professional to just offer up these kind of negotiation talks, told from his point of view, to the public. Which is why I say, Marina surely has her own opinion of how exactly this went down, only she's not telling us.
The stuff with Milan was even more blatant in this regard.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, I don't think that. Chelsea might very well have approached him for a possible interim job when they sacked Lampard, I don't doubt that.

But I don't think he was ever their favourite over Tuchel, why would he be. Which is implicit in how he tells it, that they wanted him only until summer, and I think it's not very professional to just offer up these kind of negotiation talks, told from his point of view, to the public. Which is why I say, Marina surely has her own opinion of how exactly this went down, only she's not telling us.
The stuff with Milan was even more blatant in this regard.
OK well lets put it another way - they approached him and he rejected them for a fair enough reason.

romufc

I have seen improvement in our play in the last few weeks, we are now creating chances, unfortunately, some of our players are not clicking.

Rashford and Ronaldo are major culprits as to why we are not scoring, everytime they have a shooting opportunity, they shoot regardless of the angle. Rashford was just shooting for the sake of it yesterday, Ronaldo in the final minute was out on an angle and shot, pathetic really.

poleglass red

I have to say so far not impressed with him. We are still relying to much on individual players and not enough team work. As soon as any team puts pressure on us we collapse. Villa, Boro, Burnley, teams we started off 1st half well against, then 2nd we fall apart. Is it fitness, mentality, ability of the players, probably all of them. He's had a very favourable run of games and we haven't impressed. Unable to convert chances, and unable to keep clean sheets. An interim was never an ideal scenario, but I guess our hand was forced. Get the new manger in for next season and let them build a team. I think Rangnick could have his uses as a consultant but I 've a feeling the state of the club at board level has surprised him, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him go at the end of the season

Nickelodeon

I like Ralf. The plan on the pitch seems better than Ole (which isn't saying much given the shambles we were) but he's an interim manager and there's no magic wand. Regardless of what happens this season, his expertise actually is needed in building our squad. Both our previous managers left an overpaid and unbalanced squad.

Barring De Gea, Varane, Bruno and Sancho, I struggle to look at any other player and classify them as a confirmed starter for next season. We need a manager who can make the best out of what they have, and Ralf as the DoF who would've evaluated our squad and hopefully will be given funds and a free reign to improve.

Again, don't see a quick fix here so its likely to get worse before it gets better. Hopefully, all our lows are limited to this season and we can start looking up starting next season.

Teja

We haven't had a consistent pattern for chance creation other than Bruno hero ball for the last two years, just give it time.

First few weeks it was all about how we had no control and now we established that and got better at xG conceded, counter attacks conceded etc. We will be fine, chill and enjoy the process.

ti vu

I like Ralf. The plan on the pitch seems better than Ole (which isn't saying much given the shambles we were) but he's an interim manager and there's no magic wand. Regardless of what happens this season, his expertise actually is needed in building our squad. Both our previous managers left an overpaid and unbalanced squad.

Barring De Gea, Varane, Bruno and Sancho, I struggle to look at any other player and classify them as a confirmed starter for next season. We need a manager who can make the best out of what they have, and Ralf as the DoF who would've evaluated our squad and hopefully will be given funds and a free reign to improve.

Again, don't see a quick fix here so its likely to get worse before it gets better. Hopefully, all our lows are limited to this season and we can start looking up starting next season.
He is not becoming our DOF. Murtough is not steeping down and giving Ragnick his job.

Only hope that Ragnick input would be considered as he has both expertise of DOF role and first hand experience with this team after this interim.

Nickelodeon

He is not becoming our DOF. Murtough is not steeping down and giving Ragnick his job.

Only hope that Ragnick input would be considered as he has both expertise of DOF role and first hand experience with this team after this interim.
If not DoF, he will have to have some say in squad building otherwise what's the point in having him around.

DSG

Conte has 6 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss in 10
Xavi has 6 wins, 3 draws , 1 loss in 10

Ralf has 5 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss in 9.

And former 2 spent a lot in Jan and we spent none.

Atleast get your facts right , FFS.
Conte:
17 matches: W10 D3 L4 Win% 58.82
Xavi:
15 matches W7 D4 L4 Win% 46.7
RR:
13 matches W6 D5 L2 Win% 50
Ole:
168 matches W91 D37 L40 Win% 54.17
Jose:
144 matches W84 D32 L28 Win% 58.33
LvG:
103 matches W54 D25 L24 Win% 52.43
Moyes:
51 matches W27 D9 L15 Win% 52.94

Get your facts straight FFS.

Post SAF United managers for reference. So far, he’s the worst United manager post SAF by win%, with arguably the best squad. Early days, sure, but on the other hand he’s been handed a very easy fixture list to start.

bosskeano

that's not on Ragnick...that's on the players for some quick shocking finishing. If you take away the finishing and just look at hte overall structure and stability, you can see he's got them playing a bit more compact defensively and not as open quite as much as previously. The finishing though is quite poor and still lack consistency for 90 minutes. Is that on Ralf or the players?

ti vu

If not DoF, he will have to have some say in squad building otherwise what's the point in having him around.
I don't know. I don't trust the board of this club. I meant I still don't know why extending Mike Phelan contract and heKs still here under Ragnick doing what exactly. Then Fletcher from Technicol director role joined the coaching staffs now.

Ragnick's counselor role is very vague. We don't know how much executive power he would be given. It may be just a glorified ambassador role to shield the board from criticism having Ragnick around preaching his philosophy.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst for me in this case.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Conte:
Xavi:
RR:
Ole:
Jose:
LvG:
Moyes:

Post SAF United managers for reference. So far, he’s the worst United manager post SAF by win%, with arguably the best squad. Early days, sure, but on the other hand he’s been handed a very easy fixture list to start.
Anyone who thought Rangnick will come in with immediate impact whilst resetting the style of play and coaching of the team needs to give their heads a wobble.

Rangnick and Conte are the only two comparable ones in your list here given their sample size - and both have a near identical points per game. Don't try and trick other posters into stats and claim Conte is doing "so well at Spurs" and Rangnick is some failure.

Last edited:

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Conte:
Xavi:
RR:
Ole:
Jose:
LvG:
Moyes:

So nice of you to include the conference league matches and other dead rubber games too

Dude, stick to what you know which is criticizing Ralf every day for stupid things. You started doing that after 3 matches. So please either have some sense or spare me because I ain't responding to wums.

I will repeat, all of your experience as a Bundesliga player experience count for nothing if you still can't think sensibly.

DSG

Anyone who thought Rangnick will come in with immediate impact whilst resetting the style of play and coaching of the team needs to give their heads a wobble.

Rangnick and Conte are the only two comparable ones in your list here given their sample size - and both have a near identical points per game.
Anyone who thought the team should accept anything less than top 4 and anything less than at least as good as our previous post SAF managers needs to give their head a wobble.

I love it when people are like, FACTS!!, then you give them the facts they are like, “those don’t count, ‘cause blah blah blah.

It is what it is. We can all see the results. We all know it’s a small sample size. Still doesn’t change the data.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Anyone who thought the team should accept anything less than top 4 and anything less than at least as good as our previous post SAF managers needs to give their head a wobble.

I love it when people are like, FACTS!!, then you give them the facts they are like, “those don’t count, ‘cause blah blah blah.

It is what it is. We can all see the results. We all know it’s a small sample size. Still doesn’t change the data.
The data shows Conte and Rangnick on near identical points per game in the Premier League. Which in turn shows you are talking out of your backside again.

DSG

So nice of you to include the conference league matches and other dead rubber games too

Dude, stick to what you know which is criticizing Ralf every day for stupid things. You started doing that after 3 matches. So please either have some sense or spare me because I ain't responding to wums.

I will repeat, all of your experience as a Bundesliga player experience count for nothing if you still can't think sensibly.
Hey there @bond19821982 you’re clearly a smart fella, smart enough to come at me, personally, after a pretty innocuous post that just states managerial statistics.

I think you need a time out. I get it, you and @VP89 are staunch defenders of Ralf. And it’s tough when someone has a different opinion. But please, grow up. You’re getting way emotional about this.

Long Time Red

I have seen improvement in our play in the last few weeks, we are now creating chances, unfortunately, some of our players are not clicking.

Rashford and Ronaldo are major culprits as to why we are not scoring, everytime they have a shooting opportunity, they shoot regardless of the angle. Rashford was just shooting for the sake of it yesterday, Ronaldo in the final minute was out on an angle and shot, pathetic really.
That for me is the problem though.

The start of the season was so bad, that somehow that has become a measuring stick.

With the players brought in in the summer we should have improved on last season.

Are we any better now than we were last season under Ole? In my opinion no.

I'm not sure we've had a better performance under Rangnick than the Carrick/McKenna game against Villareal.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
yet another terrible take by these so called journalists. Cherry picked stats are absolutely worthless. Anything for clicks
Do you people use some sort of generic post generator to post these 'thoughts' of yours?

Nothing in that tweet is wrong. We are not scoring enough and it's costing us. Far be it for me to defend OGS, this is simple facts. It's also a fact the defense has improved but we are not getting enough points to achieve what we want.

At least try to develop a point instead of posting the typical ABU media blah, blah, blah nonsense.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Hey there @bond19821982 you’re clearly a smart fella, smart enough to come at me, personally, after a pretty innocuous post that just states managerial statistics.

I think you need a time out. I get it, you and @VP89 are staunch defenders of Ralf. And it’s tough when someone has a different opinion. But please, grow up. You’re getting way emotional about this.
Bit confused - you said Conte has had a great start at Spurs and got called out when his points per game is similar to Ralf.

And now you are telling us to grow up after falling on your own facts (which you wrote in capital letters like a keyboard warrior).

DSG

The data shows Conte and Rangnick on near identical points per game in the Premier League. Which in turn shows you are talking out of your backside again.
???

‘I see. So, I’ve increased the sample size, adding inferior competition, and you still don’t like the numbers, so now we need to argue about PL matches only?

Let’s just agree to disagree and move on. For some reason, defending Ralf / the club is paramount to you and you’re going to ignore facts that tell a story you don’t like.

Status
Not open for further replies.