Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
You seen his results? Thats what he is here for not to 'expose the players' and the other things he keeps getting praised for
The season was over the second we didn’t sign any midfielders/lost the europa final last season. Going into this season without a good manager isn’t going to help either. This squad is a poorly assembled joke. The results this season don’t matter if we get this process right finally.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Leadership for me is someone who is honest and doesn’t mince things, being accountable is what Ole took away from the club
Rangnick has shown no accountability as a manager. Instead he has avoided his responsibility by focusing on the need to rebuild the squad, a job that isn't actually his, not right now and possibly ever.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Rangnick has performed brilliantly. He has made sure the entire team is gutted, no more papering over the cracks and slowly sliding into oblivion.

Rangnick has exposed the turds in the dressing room instead of shielding them while they stunk up the place. Good thing the next manager won't waste time polishing turd.

Hopefully we lose all the remaining games so that vast majority of the players can be kicked out and we get 8th spot.
He's performed absolutely disastrously in what he was brought in to do. And he hasn't 'made sure' of anything. You have far too much faith in our board if you think they will make the changes he talks about.

Tiber

The season was over the second we didn’t sign any midfielders/lost the europa final last season. Going into this season without a good manager isn’t going to help either. This squad is a poorly assembled joke. The results this season don’t matter if we get this process right finally.
We would be top 4 if results had been better over the last month or so. Hard to say it was over from the europa league final.

A midfielder would be good. But we have more than enough talent to beat Norwich and Everton

Irwin99

Worst take ever. Clearly you know nothing about football. :lol:

we are terrible, and 80% of the issue is Ralf. The worse we get, mentally, the longer it will take to build us back up.
I can't fathom how you can say that when it absolves the same players who were performing catastrophically for Ole earlier in the season and who are leaking info to the press constantly. It's pretty clear they didn't like him from the get go (Ted lasso comments to the media-thanks Jessie) but even if they didn't like him I expect them to be professional and actually run during games as this manager won't be hear for much longer anyway.

Ralf has been crap as a manager, yes. 80% of the issue though when we have a dressing room like this :houllier:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We would be top 4 if results had been better over the last month or so. Hard to say it was over from the europa league final.

A midfielder would be good. But we have more than enough talent to beat Norwich and Everton
We want to play a brand of football next season that alot in the squad cannot handle

stevoc

I mean it literally already is happening, we've just sacked our two chief scouts and appointed our first ever DoF, Woodward's gone and we'll have at the very least 6 outgoings in summer. The club is going through drastic change.
Well fair enough sorry I misunderstood your post, yes the structure of the club needs some major reworking but the playing squad itself won't be gutted I don't imagine. We'll lose 5-8 players most because their contracts are up but the squad is too large anyway so that wouldn't surprise anyone. Ten Hag will have to through necessity and it seems also wants to work with most of the current squad.

BluesJr

“Talent” means nothing when the players haven’t really been coached properly since LVG.

Jericho

Rangnick has performed brilliantly. He has made sure the entire team is gutted, no more papering over the cracks and slowly sliding into oblivion.

Rangnick has exposed the turds in the dressing room instead of shielding them while they stunk up the place. Good thing the next manager won't waste time polishing turd.

Hopefully we lose all the remaining games so that vast majority of the players can be kicked out and we get 8th spot.
I agree. The last thing we needed was a new manager bounce and a stay of execution for these players as we scrape 4th and inevitably go to shit again next season. It's clear there's very little to build on now, so no more "one more season" for this lot. Hopefully this is rock bottom.

BluesJr

Rangnick and his MLS crew certainly aren't helping the situation
Clearly not, but in the middle of the season it’s difficult to get the coaches you want. They certainly wouldn’t have been his first choice. Add in the players not wanting to adapt and you have what you see now.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The guy should be our DoF.
Impressed with his honestly, shame he wasn’t given funds to buy in a midfielder or wing back, but every faith in him leading the footballing side of things if he’s allowed to.

After the two bad performances this week its plain to see the players need to moved out of the club.

Ronaldo Sancho Varane Fred are probably the only ones worth keeping, if we have no European football at all next season we should fill the team with academy prospects and give them a season to see how they do.

Im sick and tired of us wasting money on players who are only here for a big wage packet, close the doors and let the youngsters show what they are capable of.

Matt851

Rangnick has shown no accountability as a manager. Instead he has avoided his responsibility by focusing on the need to rebuild the squad, a job that isn't actually his, not right now and possibly ever.
He acts like he is surprised about the type of players he has in the squad when he had enough notice to do due diligence on the players

stevoc

Its not so shortsighted when you look at the results. Solskjaer won 54% of his matches here, Rangnick has won 40%. So basically, that's a dramatic worsening of results following a manager who was sacked. Conte has won 57% and is taking club to the CL next year.

Rangnick doesn't deserve an iota of respect or patience for making us worse than we were under Solskjaer. Blaming the players is also pointless since Conte has vastly outperformed Rangnick with less quality.
A worse win ratio % than Solskjaer had this season which seen him deservedly sacked. We won't and shouldn't sack Rangnick but people need to stop pretending his tenure has been anything other than a complete disaster. He doesn't even sound like he knows what his role will be after this season or if he will even be staying going off yesterdays comments. So this assessment and ground work he's supposedly been doing for ETH that makes tanking the season worthwhile could turn out to be a load of hot air.

Steffa Barnesa

Points per game this season:

Ole 1.42
Carrick 2
Rangnick 1.71

The whole point of sacking Ole was to bring in someone who could improve things.
I agree that he hasn't done a great job, but Conte is someone who could improve things (but would inevitably leave in six months or two years, leaving us exactly where we are - needing ANOTHER manager). And he would have been the best available. Other managers applying a band aid better than Rangnick wouldn't have offered us much long term, the best they could possibly offer was a fourth place finish. As long as there's some long-term benefit, and I believe there could be, Rangnick is welcome at Old Trafford. If he's cast aside, what has been the point? I believe someone like him understands where we need to go as a football club, something no-one else has done in the last decade.

DSG

Are you suggesting the players were only 20% to blame when Ole got the bullet?
Here’s Ralf’s managerial record with United:
W 10 D9 L6 40%

‘Here’s Ole’s
W91 D37 L40 54.17%

You tell me, mate. Not saying that Ole was good enough to stay. He wasn’t. But just because Ole wasn’t good enough doesn’t mean Ralf is better than Ole. Fans has ludicrously blamed Ole for the results, the refused to blame Ralf. That’s not how it works. Both Ole and Ralf have accountability for their results. Anyone who ignores that just doesn’t understand football.

stevoc

Exactly! No team had a "total rebuild", it is pointless to expect this.

Anyway, most of us agreed that Ole was not a good manager. What did RR improve? I cannot see any real improvements either in defense or in attack. What did he do all these months? Is there any different than having Carrick or Giggs as interim manager?
Lots of people seem to find his press conferences more entertaining, so there's that I suppose.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
I would not have him as DOF, in fact I'd go so far as banning him from the ground, away end included.

Cassidy

I would not have him as DOF, in fact I'd go so far as banning him from the ground, away end included.
Pretty silly that. If we get Mitchell in that again another improvement down to Rangnick

stevoc

you’re missing the point, Ralf was never brought in to desperately steer this lot to top four, it would have been a nice bonus, of course.. but he’s here to look at the club as a whole, work with the team directly and assess everything with absolutely no bias.. then report back to the long term manager and move upstairs where he can make real lasting changes to the structure. he’s literally telling you that in his press conferences.
He seems to think that's what he's doing or at least maybe that's what he wants people to believe. But I'm worried that the club haven't actually told him to do anything of the sort.

DSG

80% guess he was the reason Ole got sacked after getting spanked 4-1 by Watford?

Rangnick has not done well but its clear he us right about what needs to happen.
Dude, this is the worst performing Man United squad since before SAF. It doesn’t fecking matter if he is “right” about us needing new players. As a game day manager, he is the worst in 42 years. And that is saying something.

I’m now actually convinced he cares nothing about this club, came here for money and money only. He’s worse than the players in my mind. Complete and utter clown.

Matt851

People love going after managers. How they forget what kind of players we are working with, I don't know.
There is no hatred to him, that is a completely false narrative. However some people are rightly pointing out that he could have done a better job.

The majority on here seem to be praising him for his honesty which is fine bust surely he should have known what he was getting into, and he has to bear some level of responsibility for our underperformance since his appointment. Particularly given ole is correctly criticised for being a poor coach, surely we should expect some sort of uplift

Cassidy

Dude, this is the worst performing Man United squad since before SAF. It doesn’t fecking matter if he is “right” about us needing new players. As a game day manager, he is the worst in 42 years. And that is saying something.

I’m now actually convinced he cares nothing about this club, came here for money and money only. He’s worse than the players in my mind. Complete and utter clown.
You have clearly lost your head

hobbers

Location checks out.

Matt851

He seems to think that's what he's doing or at least maybe that's what he wants people to believe. But I'm worried that the club haven't actually told him to do anything of the sort.
Agreed, and one of them problems with assessing the team based on his stint is that absolutely everyone looks terrible.

Unfortunately we can't replace everyone in one window so we are going to need to work with what we have to an extent

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's not very good,. But to be fair he's never been an elite manager. He's more of an administrator/club builder.

90 + 5min

There is no hatred to him, that is a completely false narrative. However some people are rightly pointing out that he could have done a better job.

The majority on here seem to be praising him for his honesty which is fine bust surely he should have known what he was getting into, and he has to bear some level of responsibility for our underperformance since his appointment. Particularly given ole is correctly criticised for being a poor coach, surely we should expect some sort of uplift
Problem is that people thought a change of manager meant change of players attitude and change of results. You can't work with some players we got. Absolutly not. I am not saying players are poor but their attitude, desire and everything else mentally is not there.

stevoc

Okay but what specifically can he do about the errors that keep costing us? Cos they seem to be more about decision making and execution than team shape or set up.
What would a good manager do? Going off the narrative on here Rangnick's not responsible for our defensive mistakes and he's not responsible for the poor finishing that's seen us struggle to score during his tenure. But even if that were true what's he been doing to try and improve the situation? We've gotten worse the longer his tenure has went on. Whatever way we look at it he is at least in part responsible for that and probably a large part.

Ronaldo is the greatest goal scorer in football history yet outside 2 hat-tricks he's barely scored during Rangnick's time at the club, coincidence? He didn't seem to have many problems scoring even in a dysfunctional team under Ole and Carrick.

Last edited:

city-puma

This is just blind faith, nothing more.

Again: hiring RR as manager being a mistake doesn't mean firing Solskjaer was also a mistake. How hard is that to understand?
All of these opinions are subjective and heavily based on the faith. Is it hard to understand?!
You just believe differently than me. Get it?

DSG

You have clearly lost your head
Because I look at results and form and say that Ralf is a shite manager? You and the other Ralf fan boys are projecting some grand transformation with Ralf leading the charge. He’s a fraud, and any transformation that happens will be in spite of Ralf, not because of him.

why do you think he was working in fecking Russia? He turned down offers from Bayern, PSG, Real, Barcelona and Juventus to build Locomotive Moscow into a CL winner?

SAFMUTD

Love his honesty, he may got it wrong with tactics or whatever I don't care. It's refreshing to see a manager like him who doesn't care about being polite or justify shit players.

I think we as a fan base are finally united into thinking the squad is shit and we need a real clear out. No more where to hide for the players, ideally we would have got UCL qualification for next season but long term I think this will be more beneficial.

It will put pressure on the board to support Ten Hag with the players he wants and hopefully we will turn this shit circus around.

PoTMS

:lol: I love ignorant posts like these
You could've put me in charge and you'd still be in here parroting the same rubbish. I think most sane people realise he's been a shocking managerial appointment. Yes, he had identified our problems but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do that. He's failed in his primary aim to get us up the table. Not in our worst nightmares could we have imagined the next manager doing as poorly as he has. We may as well have kept Ole.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
People praising his honesty but I doubt he would be saying these things if he was on a permanent contract. Also, it seems a bit coincidental that he's started to talk once news started breaking he wouldn't be involved with the club once his temp period is up.

Cassidy

Because I look at results and form and say that Ralf is a shite manager? You and the other Ralf fan boys are projecting some grand transformation with Ralf leading the charge. He’s a fraud, and any transformation that happens will be in spite of Ralf, not because of him.

why do you think he was working in fecking Russia? He turned down offers from Bayern, PSG, Real, Barcelona and Juventus to build Locomotive Moscow into a CL winner?
Where have I said he is a top manager?
You have lost your head if you believe the club will do things right without his insight.

Im 100% sure we hire Poch if he was not here

Matt851

Problem is that people thought a change of manager meant change of players attitude and change of results. You can't work with some players we got. Absolutly not. I am not saying players are poor but their attitude, desire and everything else mentally is not there.
He has managed to improve Fred and maybe sancho from the worst period of oles reign. Everyone else has stayed the same or got worse. Surely it is a managers job to improve players. I have no doubt there is an issue with some of the players attitude but do you really believe we couldnt be playing better

Any neutral looking at ralfs reign thinks he has been a failure, only a section of United supporters disagree with this. Its just a repeat of oles time at the club where neutrals knew of oles limitations a while before a lot of our deluded fan base did

Status
Not open for further replies.