Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leethal

Genuinely perplexed seeing some of the posts. I question if the majority of the posters currently posting in this thread are even sober.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I don’t understand why people can’t see the changes being made at the club?

Perhaps they don’t want to.
Woodward's left, his mate has took over and a couple of scouts (who probably did nothing anyway) have moved on. Hardly anything to signify a big shift in approach going forward.

I was more getting at the big overhaul in the squad this summer. Not going to happen. The funds required to do it seriously won't be there for one (thanks partly to Ralf's failure in results).

Matt851

We could but players need to step up. Use every single day to train and stop with other things beside football. You don't fly away on vacation in the middle of the season when you play poor or when your team is poor. You stay at home and work out. But our players, as soon as they are "free" fly across the world for own purpose. That is why lot of them are just artificial footballers and it all falls apart when it gets slighty tough.
Both the manager and players should do better,
I don’t understand why people can’t see the changes being made at the club?

Perhaps they don’t want to.
I can see we currently have a director of football as interim manager whilst our current director of football was promoted from within an lacks an elite CV, a technical director who appears to be acting as an odd job man. Once ralf begins his consultancy role he will be offering advice to two people who don't have anything like his experience or competence in the role.

It's all still a shambles and there isnt any convincing evidence this will change.

TheReligion

Abusive
We can see the changes, but these are not Ralf’s changes. Why is a section of the Caf giving him credit for changing the club? Bizarre take…
They are the clubs changes. No one has any idea who specifically is doing what.
By the way Fletcher is helping out as Ralf couldn’t get a full coaching staff. Yes it’s all been cobbled together.

el3mel

Ole can only dream of what Ralf has done in his career??? Hahahahahaha

1 German cup in 20 years. Wowsers. That's an incredible record.
Managing in Bundesliga is already far more than anything Ole had done in his career prior to managing Man United.

TheReligion

Abusive
Woodward's left, his mate has took over and a couple of scouts (who probably did nothing anyway) have moved on. Hardly anything to signify a big shift in approach going forward.

I was more getting at the big overhaul in the squad this summer. Not going to happen. The funds required to do it seriously won't be there for one (thanks partly to Ralf's failure in results).
This highlights how little you understand unfortunately.

You should try doing the research before making such statements really.

jesperjaap

Whom is he supposed to play then? Injured Shaw or massively in-form Wan-Bissaka?
Personally I would pick Bissaka over Dalot every day of the week, even as poor as he has been this season. Genuinely feel Dalot is our weakest full back and thats includign Williams

0le

This highlights how little you understand unfortunately.

You should try doing the research before making such statements really.
Personally I would pick Bissaka over Dalot every day of the week, even as poor as he has been this season. Genuinely feel Dalot is our weakest full back and thats includign Williams
His only options as fullback are Dalot, Telles and AWB - all of whom have issues and inconsistent or no form. Yet you feel because he does not select one of these players, it is part of the reason which makes him a "terrible terrible manager"?

Last edited:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
They are the clubs changes. No one has any idea who specifically is doing what.
By the way Fletcher is helping out as Ralf couldn’t get a full coaching staff. Yes it’s all been cobbled together.
Everybody who's blaming Ralf for the coaching standard are forgetting that Ralf himself complained about this in his first press conference.

His hands were tied. He wanted Carrick & McKenna to both stay. He knew the incoming coaching team wasn't up to PL standards.

TheReligion

Abusive
His only options as fullback are Dalot, Telles and AWB - all of whom have issues and inconsistent or no form. Yet you feel because he does not select one of these players, it is part of the reason which makes him a "You call him a "terrible terrible manager"?
What are you on about?

TheReligion

Abusive
Everybody who's blaming Ralf for the coaching standard are forgetting that Ralf himself complained about this in his first press conference.

His hands were tied. He wanted Carrick & McKenna to both stay. He knew the incoming coaching team wasn't up to PL standards.
Exactly this.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
How has it been smooth? We've been even more of a laughing stock under Rangnick for 6 months. We may as well have hired the cleaner to take charge of the first team.
I don't know what people expect of Rangnick to be honest. It's hard enough taking charge of a dressing room filled with frauds and players not up to the level. You people need to be pointing your fingers at the players who have clearly not performed to the levels required.

In my opinion, there has been no "new manager bounce" because of the fact that Ralf is confirmed not to be taking over at the end of the season. Some of the players are not putting in the work that they should be putting in. The good thing about this is, he will be there to brief ETH and give his assessment on who to give a chance to and who to get rid of. Ralf is giving some of the players the rope to hang themselves with at the moment.

city-puma

He was only leaving because Rangnick had been brought in. He could have stayed until the end of the season, Rangnick could still have come in and done his assessment from upstairs, leaving the board to carry out their due diligence on Ten Hag or whoever ready for the new season.

I can't see how that could be worse than the crap we've been served up the last 6 months. Like I said, at least Carrick would have known the players and given a feck when we lose.
Exactly. Now, from a retrospective view, I think we should keep Ole until the end of season or at least persuade Carrick to stay. The decision has now turned out to be a complete failure. The decision makers are to be blamed. Unfortunately, fans here are taking every word to bash players only. They are the easy targets for keyboard warriors.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Be sceptical sure but what you said just then was plain wrong and shows you have no knowledge of how the set up has changed at the club and continues to do so
It was an exaggeration but nothing I have read screams big changes.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
How valuable they will consider his input going forward, it remains to be seen. His exact role at the club, after his interim tenure, has always been veiled in mystery. There have been several signs that there's an intention to change the structure of the club to run it better. On the other hand, the ownership and their right-hand men have always been reactionary and never proactive.

What i sense happened is this: They weren't able to understand that Solskjaer's (just like Mourinho's three years before) cycle with this team was done. When it became plain obvious to the United hierarchy that Solskjaer's position wasn't salvageable any more, they pulled the trigger. I suspect that the reason they didn't approach Conte with much zest was that they had already decided on either ETH or Pochettino. But with Carrick leaving on his own, they had to find a caretaker. And Carrick/McKenna leaving was a blow, because the job of the interim is usually to rally up the troops, with the club going into damage control mode.

We were in a tough spot because even names like the ones that were doing the rounds here (Valverde, Fonseca, Garcia etc.) were not going to accept the job without any further assurances. Asking them to come here with no connection to the club, strangers who will be on their way come next spring no matter what, with no transfer budget and with so many contracts ending at the end of the season to manage these players who, as a collective, have won the square foot of feck all. In my eyes, that's the epitome of a thankless job.

It might be the case that the consultancy role was nothing more than the cheese in the mousetrap as far as Rangnick is concerned. I don't blame him because, as i said, it is a thankless job. I also believe that his credibility has taken a blow in their eyes, which is understandable. But i don't think that what he's telling them goes in one ear and out the other, either. The importance of his role will depend on how much his early assessments will agree with what ETH believes is the best way forward.
Well, I pretty much agree everything with you. Few things maybe to add... They were absolutely stunned with Ole sacking as you say. Don't think they had ETH in mind so much, but I do feel they strongly considered Poch. There were rumours about him a bit later after Ole sacking. I also think they didn't feel that Conte is the right man whether they had Mourinho vibes or something else, so they went for a different and to get some time.

I believe Rangnick (who Murtough rates a lot) impressed them when they approached him, so they concluded he was the perfect stopping gap. As for his consultancy his contract in Russia had him guaranteed that much time/money, so they went with that solution. I really think it was a good decision in the end (not sure what the f.. is everyone losing their shit here). First of all, the decision to officially gave him such role indicated that Murtough isn't some power hungry twat which is good to know. And in the end, it landed us ten Hag who emerged as a leading favorite.

Am not sure also that they know what to do with Ragnick now. Think he would be a valuable asset. Also think he will be important as much as ten Hag decide him to be.

All together, am happy we end up with ten Hag. Really excited to see him here.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's mad how no-one ever mentions it apart from a few like yourself. I don't think I've heard a single tv pundit ever bring it up.
He couldn’t get any of his first choice coaches in and from memory is actually short hence Fletcher stepping in to assist. It’s literally the most cobbled together set of staff the club has probably had coming in at a crucial part of the season from scratch.

Carrick and McKenna both going did us over a bit and didn’t give Rangnick much chance or help in delivering his methods and getting the squad on board with the change

Conor

Jesus, some of you need to stop getting so wound up, the season is over, we've a new manager coming. Relax and stop mashing the keyboard.

Marcelinho87

Eddie Howe would've done a far better job.
Disagree. Klopp, Pep and SAF combined wouldn't work because as Neville said this club puts these players on a pedestal when they sign instantly undermining the manager with their shit like piano playing and making out these cretins are god like.

We have become a comedy club and it needs digging up and starting again.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

So if I take over Manchester United tomorrow morning and complain about the coaching standard in my first press conference, and then bring in my own coaching team who isn't up to PL standards, does that mean I get a completely free pass 5 months from now when I have absolutely zero results to show for? Smooth.

This seems like the dream job.

0le

you suggested I’ve called him a terrible manager and started talking to me about full backs randomly. I’d not mentioned either point. Are you drunk?
I see, sorry, I meant to quote someone else there. This post:

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
He was only leaving because Rangnick had been brought in. He could have stayed until the end of the season, Rangnick could still have come in and done his assessment from upstairs, leaving the board to carry out their due diligence on Ten Hag or whoever ready for the new season.

I can't see how that could be worse than the crap we've been served up the last 6 months. Like I said, at least Carrick would have known the players and given a feck when we lose.
The fans and co92 put paid to Carrick ever staying. He was almost hounded out. Rangnick tried to keep him, but it was too late for him to convince Carrick by then.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
People who love Ole. The way i see it he hasn’t done fantastically well but anyone who thought he was going to absolutely revolutionise everything were living in dreamland anyway. I still think this is the best appointment we’ve made in years because it’s lead to a lot of changes for the future. However i don’t understand why Rangnick is getting a lot of shit when these players have consistently thrown loads of managers under the bus and are clearly not playing for him. Players like Lingard saying the dressing room is a mess etc should have been let go a long long time ago and are causing absolute chaos at this club
He was hired to help us secure top4, nothing else. By that metric, Ralf has failed at his job. His consulant role begins after. I cant really agree that the club failing miserably this season is a good thing.

I dont really think Ralf should be blamed for too much, but he should neither be given credit for a lot. Speaking in public about the squads shortcomings and poor performances is something you dont do if you want a unified dressing room. I dont believer Ralf did that because he plays 4D chess, I believe he did that because he is not a good leader. Having glasses and knowing people doesnt mean that you possess the ability to unify a dressing room, something that should have been the very first thing he adressed on the first day of the job. When Ole came as interim the team turned into worldbeaters for a time because of the way the dressing room was able to unify and straight up feel good about themselves for a while. Nothing of that happened when Ralf came. Something about the rethoric thats being spoken between players and manager during training sessions just doesnt transfer into optimism.

The best signing we could have done would be to hire someone that actually got us to Champions League. Ten Hag is still coming regardless, and he is the one that will have the final say in what players we buy, not Rangnick. Its by Ten Hags project we will be doing signings. But you know, its easy to sit here in hindsight and say "should have" and speculate, it is what it is at this point.

Ralfs role is still the same after the season ends: Work a few hours every month and give general advice to Murtough about his experiences and offer opinions. If reports are accurate, his alloted workhours amount to 1 week per month. Or a couple days every month.

He is not going to "help reshape" the club, recruit players or lead anything in any elaborate role outside of being a confidant of Murtough.

I think Rangnick is knowledgeable and has a lot of good ideas, and hopefully the club can make use of his contributions. With the answers in hand, appointing him the interim manager has been a colossal failure that has cost us the champions league spot, and everyone from the manager to the players are to blame.

Today we lost because Ralf allowed Bruno to take the penalty over Ronaldo. Because Telles was abhorrent and Bruno even worse. There is factual blame to go around everywhere.

Last edited:

lawliet354

I’ve been a skeptic but the process of bringing in ten Hag as well as having Rangnick has been smooth and without the drama of the past. The fact some still believe that it’s solely on the manager is comical, and shows a lack of education and awareness imo. This group of players has downed 3 managers, given up and taken the easy way out because they have been given too much power. Now we have Ralf figuratively pulling their pants down in public and still the mob isn’t happy.
The mobs are saying better manager will do a lot more with this squad, they also think the squad need overhaul, they also want instant success.

They think anyone can notice there's systemic issue within the club yet Ralf is the only one to say that on public. Truly lack of awareness.

Ralf wants a full root and branch reform and I support it.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Rangnick has already pointed out several recommendations on the organization, football technical, recruitment/scouting and facility side of things and the club are already making changes behind the scenes. Murtough to his credit is surrounding himself with football people and the club is taking a different direction. The coming months will be fascinating, expect a lot of changes at the club.

Foxbatt

Disagree. Klopp, Pep and SAF combined wouldn't work because as Neville said this club puts these players on a pedestal when they sign instantly undermining the manager with their shit like piano playing and making out these cretins are god like.

We have become a comedy club and it needs digging up and starting again.
Yes and gave Bruno a new bumper contract and about to give Rashford a new one.
I have my issues with Ralf. Especially for someone known to use unpredictable changes, he didn't do anything. There is nothing much he could do about the Dalot mistake and the penalty and even the last goal and the penalty miss.
Now everyone is up in arms because Bruno missed. The same people will be up in arms if Ronaldo had taken and missed it saying Bruno should have taken it.
Compared to the game against Liverpool we could have won this game if the referee and var was not bent and if we had taken our chances

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Another reason why it wasn’t necessary to hire him. We looked better under Carrick’s one or two matches in charge and should’ve kept him for the season until ETH was hired.
When rumours of us hiring a DOF a few years ago first surfaced the name on most peoples lips was Rangnick. I've said previously in the thread that if the only way he came here as a consultant was to take the reigns for 6 months before moving upstairs then it was a risk worth taking. I still stand by that even if his tenure as interim didn't go as well as hoped.

You seem to have a dislike for the man and I find it a little strange that you (and plenty of others) don't even want him to continue as a DOF consultant after he's proved to be one of the best at club building in modern times. To find someone with the same level of experience is next to impossible because there's very few out there. It's baffling.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
He was hired to help us secure top4, nothing else. By that metric, Ralf has failed at his job. His consulant role begins after. I cant really agree that the club failing miserably this season is a good thing.

I dont really think Ralf should be blamed for too much, but he should neither be given credit for a lot. Speaking in public about the squads shortcomings and poor performances is something you dont do if you want a unified dressing room. I dont believer Ralf did that because he plays 4D chess, I believe he did that because he is not a good leader. Having glasses and knowing people doesnt mean that you possess the ability to unify a dressing room, something that should have been the very first thing he adressed on the first day of the job.

The best signing we could have done would be to hire someone that actually got us to Champions League. Ten Hag is still coming regardless, and he is the one that will have the final say in what players we buy, not Rangnick. Its by Ten Hags project we will be doing signings. But you know, its easy to sit here in hindsight and say "should have" and speculate, it is what it is at this point.

Ralfs role is still the same after the season ends: Work a few hours every month and give general advice to Murtough about his experiences and offer opinions. If reports are accurate, his alloted workhours amount to 1 week per month. Or a couple days every month.

He is not going to "help reshape" the club, recruit players or lead anything in any elaborate role outside of being a confidant of Murtough.

I think Rangnick is knowledgeable and has a lot of good ideas, and hopefully the club can make use of his contributions. With the answers in hand, appointing him the interim manager has been a colossal failure that has cost us the champions league spot, and everyone from the manager to the players are to blame.

Today we lost because Ralf allowed Bruno to take the penalty over Ronaldo. Because Telles was abhorrent and Bruno even worse. There is factual blame to go around everywhere.
Rangnick was appointed as interim because he was going to be hired as consultant for the helicopter view. The traditional Fergie type manager role is a thing of the past and basically Rangnick is a technical director, not a trainer/coach.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
So if I take over Manchester United tomorrow morning and complain about the coaching standard in my first press conference, and then bring in my own coaching team who isn't up to PL standards, does that mean I get a completely free pass 5 months from now when I have absolutely zero results to show for? Smooth.

This seems like the dream job.
The context is his hands were tied. There was nothing he could do about it. This isn't 'his coaching team' at all.

He couldn't bring his proper coaching team, because they were already in secure jobs elsewhere because he hadn't been a manager for 10 years, and they weren't going to leave for a 6 month gig. Because of this he firstly tried to convince Carrick & McKenna to stay.

McKenna then gets offered the Ipswich manager job, and because Carrick was practically hounded out before he arrived it was too late for him to change his mind too.

So it was the worst case scenario for him, and he was left scrambling for anyone who would accept a 6 month role. Obviously he was never going to be able to acquire any top class coaches under those circumstances. Hence we were left with Fletcher helping out, and whoever Rangnick had worked with in the past through RB Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.