Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG

Rangnick was appointed as interim because he was going to be hired as consultant for the helicopter view. The traditional Fergie type manager role is a thing of the past and basically Rangnick is a technical director, not a trainer/coach.
This is false. Ralf was hired as an interim, first and foremost. The consultancy was something he requested and we agreed. This has been reported by several media outlets.

DSG

The context is his hands were tied. There was nothing he could do about it. This isn't 'his coaching team' at all.

He couldn't bring his proper coaching team, because they were already in secure jobs elsewhere because he hadn't been a manager for 10 years, and they weren't going to leave for a 6 month gig. Because of this he firstly tried to convince Carrick & McKenna to stay.

McKenna then gets offered the Ipswich manager job, and because Carrick was practically hounded out before he arrived it was too late for him to change his mind too.

So it was the worst case scenario for him, and he was left scrambling for anyone who would accept a 6 month role. Obviously he was never going to be able to acquire any top class coaches under those circumstances. Hence we were left with Fletcher helping out, and whoever Rangnick had worked with in the past through RB Group.

After reading that he's still to blame?
Your “Supports” tagline is going to age poorly, mate.

Amarsdd

The context is his hands were tied. There was nothing he could do about it. This isn't 'his coaching team' at all.

He couldn't bring his proper coaching team, because they were already in secure jobs elsewhere because he hadn't been a manager for 10 years, and they weren't going to leave for a 6 month gig. Because of this he firstly tried to convince Carrick & McKenna to stay.

McKenna then gets offered the Ipswich manager job, and because Carrick was practically hounded out before he arrived it was too late for him to change his mind too.

So it was the worst case scenario for him, and he was left scrambling for anyone who would accept a 6 month role. Obviously he was never going to be able to acquire any top class coaches under those circumstances.

After reading that he's still to blame?
So are you saying he is of no blame for winning 2 games in like the last 2-3months? That's been my biggest issue of people defending Ralf here, saying basically no blame at all on him for this horrendous form.

big_jeffstar

See Conte at Spurs. Came in and won far more than RR with lesser players. It can obviously be done. Even Moyes has outperformed us this year and is a game in hand away from having more points than us.
yeah, exactly my point.. imagine Conte comes in and gets us up to fourth.. are you happy watching this squad refuse to run back next season? Because that’s exactly what you’d end up with.. and when they’re bored of Conte, they’ll throw him under the bus too.. just like the last two managers, I can’t honestly believe you can sit here after ten years of abject failure to play modern football, and blame it on Ralf Rangnick… Christ

hobbers

People praising his honesty but I doubt he would be saying these things if he was on a permanent contract. Also, it seems a bit coincidental that he's started to talk once news started breaking he wouldn't be involved with the club once his temp period is up.
Of course not, but he's not on a permanent contract.

I dont think his spicy news conferences have anything to do with that, he's spelling out exactly how much of a state the players are now because a) they completely gave up any act of trying or putting effort in after Atletico and b) there's now nothing to play for.

Whether ETH wants Rangnick to be involved at the club or not, they won't know yet. Because ETH and Ralf have both been focused on their own seasons and clearly haven't met yet for their handover talks.

See Conte at Spurs. Came in and won far more than RR with lesser players. It can obviously be done. Even Moyes has outperformed us this year and is a game in hand away from having more points than us.
As someone who was desperate for us to sack Ole in October and hire Conte I see this but you can't compare Conte with Rangnick. Conte is permanent Spurs manager, and got to make his own signings in January. And those signings have been pretty mega for him, or at least one of them has.

DavelinaJolie

The last thing I hope he does is throw academy players out there, no point screwing up their confidence to "show a bit of fight" or whatever else people think they'll do when playing their first top flight football against some of the top 19 teams in the country.

Judas

Open to offers
yeah, exactly my point.. imagine Conte comes in and gets us up to fourth.. are you happy watching this squad refuse to run back next season? Because that’s exactly what you’d end up with.. and when they’re bored of Conte, they’ll throw him under the bus too.. just like the last two managers, I can’t honestly believe you can sit here after ten years of abject failure to play modern football, and blame it on Ralf Rangnick… Christ
Exactly. People don't want short term thinking, want a change at the club, think Conte is the answer? Baffling stupidity and proof some Utd fans have learnt absolutely nothing. Conte wasn't coming in and fixing the deep rooted issues at this club, he would be another plaster over a gaping wound.

hobbers

The last thing I hope he does is throw academy players out there, no point screwing up their confidence to "show a bit of fight" or whatever else people think they'll do when playing their first top flight football against some of the top 19 teams in the country.
Academy players should be fecking desperate to play.

A chance to turn out at Old Trafford in front of 70k in a game without the pressure of having to fight for titles or top four. A chance to put themselves straight into the mind of ETH before he even takes over.

Any of the younger players, Hannibal, Garnacho, Shoretire, Mengi etc, should be fecking desperate for a chance in these circumstances. If they're not then they're not fit to be United players.

And of course the flip side of that is that now there's nothing to play for Ralf should stop wasting game time on players who are leaving and give it to those who could still make something of their United careers.

mu4c_20le

Rangnick was appointed as interim because he was going to be hired as consultant for the helicopter view. The traditional Fergie type manager role is a thing of the past and basically Rangnick is a technical director, not a trainer/coach.
The board was ready to give him the job full time if he'd done well. He himself refused to rule that out after a decent start.

Some of you are giving the club way too much credit for thinking they were planning for ETH all along.

Judas

Open to offers
The board was ready to give him the job full time if he'd done well. He himself refused to rule that out after a decent start.

Some of you are giving the club way too much credit for thinking they were planning for ETH all along.
Not all along but they were working on it back in January? THere's people wanting to give the club too much credit, and then people who appear to not want to give the club any credit.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
They are the clubs changes. No one has any idea who specifically is doing what.
By the way Fletcher is helping out as Ralf couldn’t get a full coaching staff. Yes it’s all been cobbled together.
I'm afraid you're wasting your time. The most fervent anti Ralf seem to be the most pro Ole. When changes were made under Ole, such as transfers it was Ole getting all the credit until those transfers didn't hit the heights expected then they became club transfers.

The same is happening to Ralf. They don't want to give him any sort of credit in what's happening in the club today. Like you said, who knows who's deciding what behind the scenes but I'd like to think that after hiring Rangnick as a consultant they would actually be consulting him behind the scenes even if he isn't actually in the job yet.

Whatever way the most important thing is change is happening and it seems quite radical at that. That's all any supporter could ask for because we were going absolutely nowhere under the previous regime. Onwards and upwards.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
On a tactical basis, I don’t think the current set up is better than Ole/Carrick and McKenna. I don’t think a premier league side with a defender as weak as Tavares should stand a chance of winning, let alone 3-1.

Rob Bowman

After ten years, I hardly think RR is the issue. in fact I have appreciated his honesty and candor. He has called out numerous issues that Ole was afraid to say. If you take all the comments of all the manager's since SAF (yes have to cut thru a bit of salt from some), it quickly becomes apparent that despite our massive outlays in cash, we have little to show for it because we lack a clear vision from the higher ups. RR and hopefully ETH are focused on rebuilding United by first dealing with the leadership vision at this club.

Am I impressed with how RR has managed the squad... no. Do I place the blame at his doorstep... just a fraction. We have much bigger issues and hopefully ETH with RR's help can get us focused back on a clear vision and a well run club.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I also think he’s not being shy about wanting the job as sporting director and he might have taken the coaching and consulting role as a stepping stone towards that.

stevoc

This doesn't really make any sense from the perspective of a manager
With his director hat on he's apparently assessing the squad for the next manager (he implies he's doing this anyway). But that squad is currently being managed by an average manager (who happens to be him) and is going through arguably the worst period of form that any United team has experienced in the last 30-40 years with confidence almost across the board in the shitter. This arrangement is obviously going to result in a much more negative assessment than if he was assessing the same players when they were being managed by a top manager. If you get where I'm coming from.

stevoc

If he wasn’t, the club wouldn’t be moving him upstairs at the end of the season, if they only wanted an interim to push us into fourth, why on earth would they then keep them around afterwards? And why would they give an interim manager hired solely on the basis of getting us fourth, any input at all into who comes in next? Fabrizio has reported that he was involved in the process… it doesn’t add up
United have been mis-managed at boardroom level for almost a decade, not much does add up.

As for United ''moving him upstairs'' at the end of the season. Are they though?

Going off Ralf's comments yesterday he doesn't seem so sure, I've had my doubts for months and as the season goes on and more information comes out. It's looking more and more as if Ralf won't have a huge role at United after this season, if he even has one at all.

stevoc

The fact some of you believe the manager is still the problem. Jose, Ole and now Ralf. Really is still the fecking manager!? :lol::lol::lol:
Thinking the squad needs major improvement and thinking Ralf done an awful job as manager aren't mutually exclusive you know.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
United have been mis-managed at boardroom level for almost a decade, not much does add up.

As for United ''moving him upstairs'' at the end of the season. Are they though?

Going off Ralf's comments yesterday he doesn't seem so sure, I've had my doubts for months and as the season goes on and more information comes out. It's looking more and more as if Ralf won't have a huge role at United after this season, if he even has one at all.

I think he will fade like a fart in the wind by next season. Unless him and ETH are exactly on the same page, then there's no way this would work, especially since he's just a consultant after this which basically means feck all and going by his comments, nothing is really written in his contract that he's staying beyond this caretaker role.

Fluctuation0161

After ten years, I hardly think RR is the issue. in fact I have appreciated his honesty and candor. He has called out numerous issues that Ole was afraid to say. If you take all the comments of all the manager's since SAF (yes have to cut thru a bit of salt from some), it quickly becomes apparent that despite our massive outlays in cash, we have little to show for it because we lack a clear vision from the higher ups. RR and hopefully ETH are focused on rebuilding United by first dealing with the leadership vision at this club.

Am I impressed with how RR has managed the squad... no. Do I place the blame at his doorstep... just a fraction. We have much bigger issues and hopefully ETH with RR's help can get us focused back on a clear vision and a well run club.
Totally agree.

It's going to take a few seasons to fix the mess that has been building up for the last 10 years.

DevilRed

He is an independent contractor, or so it seems.

He won't be employed by the club. He will probably be paid (on a retainer basis?) to provide consultation.

Whether or not his advice is implemented by the club is a whole other matter.

Matt851

Many neutrals still think the Glazers are "okay" so I do not think their opinions should hold much weight.

I agree that the manager's job is to improve and motivate the players, but when players do not want to even run, why is that the manager's fault? In my view, motivation from the manager is more like the "extra 5-10%" on top of the "100%" the players should already be doing. It should not be about getting the players to the 100% - that should instead be a basic requirement of any footballer.

I agree he has failed to provide that "extra 10%". Maybe the players do not appreciate his honesty or maybe it is something else. It is hard to say where it has gone wrong and why in this regard. Players release books all the time so we will probably find out in a few months or years what really happened. However, that 10% is not the reason we did not turn up against Everton for example.

With regards to his tactics, I saw him trying to change things and eventually resort back to the original formation. I am frustrated with his team selection. I hated seeing two goalkeepers on the bench. I do not like seeing Mata getting game time over Hannibal. The latter has played international football now. He can get some more minutes and we can then assess here his development is at. I do not understand why Maguire was not dropped consistently.

But I find it harsh to be critical, largely because a lot of hurdles existed which have made implementing something substantially different quite challenging. You could argue it is a perfect storm of issues:
- Injuries/ absentees (Cavani, Varane & Greenwood)
- Players determined to leave (Martial)
- Not a full range of his own coaching staff
- No transfers coming in January
- Complete loss of form in some players (Rashford, Maguire)
- Some players possibly not able to play regularly or even complete a game (Mata, Matic)

People have said he has "failed" but if their measure of "success" was to qualify for CL, then given the issues he has faced, in hindsight, that would have been some return.
Your comment re neutrals thinking the glazers are OK is a bit of a weird one. Almost everyone knows United are a complete shit show and blames the glazers for it.

Rangnick has undoubtedly failed, even ignoring the top 4 race he has failed to improve the team from the worst days of oles reign. We are terrible in defence and have no style of play in possession. Also acting like top 4 was unachievable is pathetically low standards given it would have just required us to beat Burnley, Everton, Newcastle and the likes.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No one is blaming him for the past 8 years. We are blaming him for the feckless, 40% win percentage, 9-0 on aggregate to the dippers, 25% possession, no CL for you, time he has been in charge here.

BlueHaze

9 wins in 20 league games, let's be honest, he's been very bad. When he arrived I think pretty much anyone thought we had a decent shot at 4th considering how shit Arsenal and Spurs are but Ralf did not even put on a challenge.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm afraid you're wasting your time. The most fervent anti Ralf seem to be the most pro Ole. When changes were made under Ole, such as transfers it was Ole getting all the credit until those transfers didn't hit the heights expected then they became club transfers.

The same is happening to Ralf. They don't want to give him any sort of credit in what's happening in the club today. Like you said, who knows who's deciding what behind the scenes but I'd like to think that after hiring Rangnick as a consultant they would actually be consulting him behind the scenes even if he isn't actually in the job yet.

Whatever way the most important thing is change is happening and it seems quite radical at that. That's all any supporter could ask for because we were going absolutely nowhere under the previous regime. Onwards and upwards.
What credit do you think there is on Rangnick so far out of interest?
Do you think he's had a hand in the new manager appointment? Or the potential transfers list?

It's quite hard to believe Ole would have been any worse than it's been since.

Matt851

Agreed

No doubt he has things to offer but his strengths in strategic thinking don't suit being an interim manager. And his cv as a manager isn't good enough to land him a job at a top club

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bad manager, bad appointment by the club, revisionism by anyone moving the goal line now that this guy has shown to be the worst manager we have had in modern times.
Were you around for the Moyes season?

Maik2022

Managing a top club in a top league is just a different level, that even very good coaches can fail at, ETH will probably have the same fate, although his demands are probably a goods sign. RR should never have signed on without demanding at least one player to buy during the winter.

Nickelodeon

While it hasn’t worked out at a manager level for Ralf, this season is heading into a similar car crash like we had at the end of Ole’s interim turned caretaker season. I believe Ralf should be involved in some capacity in helping our recruitment and outgoings for next season. Having him only as an interim manager and then letting him go would be extremely stupid. He has built strong teams based on smart recruitment, let him work in his best role for the new season.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
No one is blaming him for the past 8 years. We are blaming him for the feckless, 40% win percentage, 9-0 on aggregate to the dippers, 25% possession, no CL for you, time he has been in charge here.
Why such bitterness towards the man? Over the years I've very rarely seen you come out so against someone as you have with Rangnick. Even with Ole you waited until the very end before calling him out.

You have to understand that 90% of Ralfs failings are a culmination of being a horribly run club for the better part of 15 years. It was such a deep rooted problem that the whole thing needs to be ripped up and started again. Ralf is the focal point at the minute but the damage caused before his arrival doesn't seem to be taken into consideration.

He came in as interim. He was never going to be a candidate unless he did exceptionally well as manager. He didn't so if the club are smart they will now listen to him in what he's actually qualified at.

I also stand by my point that if Conte was now our manager we wouldn't be much better off. He is known as a hard task manager and if Ralfs reign is anything to go by then the players would equally down tools for Conte the same as Ralf. Another point on Conte is if he did come in on a 18 month contract we now wouldn't have secured the services of ETH. Win win situation.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ralf has a 1.65 points per game in the league since taking over, which is an improvement over Ole's 1.41 before he got fired this season. It's better than Mourinho's 1.61 the season he got fired. Just below Moyes 1.67 (with a team that was the defending champion), and LVG's 1.73 in his second season.

Is it good enough? Of course not. But people are going overboard talking about him as if he is by far the worst of them all, considering that he walked into by far the worst situation out of any of them. Obviously the last 6-7 weeks has been a shit show (although still better than what we were doing under Ole), but before that he'd done a decent job stabilising the ship. It should also be noted that recently he's had about 9 players out who would all have been expected to start a significant amount of matches at the start of the season.

If he is making strong recommendations behinds the scenes that the board are listening to, then it'll end up being well worth it IMO. Obviously we would have hoped that he would have got top 4, but the most important thing for me was always that he'd provide a proper review of the football side of the club by a person with experience in doing so.

Gavinb33

The usual hyperbole after we lose.

He has been handed a shit hand, but the posters on this forum are funny on one hand the players are all shit and should be sold and on the other hand the manager is doing a bad job with the players who should be sold and are all shit you can't have it both ways guys......

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
What credit do you think there is on Rangnick so far out of interest?
Do you think he's had a hand in the new manager appointment? Or the potential transfers list?

It's quite hard to believe Ole would have been any worse than it's been since.
As mentioned various times throughout the thread no one outside the club has any idea on who's making the radical changes inside the club but I do believe that Ralf is a part of it. Why bring in a consultant and not consult him even if he hasn't officially started in the job yet? Murtough obviously rates him as its been publicly noted and the credit I think Ralf has is the experience he's demonstrated in building clubs up from nothing to very successful operations. Granted that credit has yet to be put in the bank but for me it's there.

Out of interest when it was first made public a couple of years ago that we were looking for a DOF who was your option? Ralf was overwhelming favourite if I remember correctly which is why i find it had to understand the vitriol thrown at him because he failed in a role he wasn't qualified for.

On the subject of Ole. Maybe you're right that it may not be worse than at present but in that scenario all the club would be doing would be putting on bandaids after bandaids without actually getting to the root of all the problems we've suffered for so long. Maybe it's a coincidence that Ralf is here when we're in the middle of revolutionising the club or maybe he's actually helping. Either way I'm just happy that the club finally seems to be moving in the right direction after so long of ineptitude. It's long past time.

Long Time Red

Totally agree.

It's going to take a few seasons to fix the mess that has been building up for the last 10 years.
People always say this sort of hyperbolic stuff, they said the same about Barca under Koeman.

Yet since Jan 1st, they've won more points than anyone else in La Liga.

That doesn't mean we'll compete with City and Liverpool next season but we'll be closer than we have been in a long time.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
People always say this sort of hyperbolic stuff, they said the same about Barca under Koeman.

Yet since Jan 1st, they've won more points than anyone else in La Liga.

That doesn't mean we'll compete with City and Liverpool next season but we'll be closer than we have been in a long time.
I don’t get the impression that there is loads of infighting and cliques in the Barca team. We have a very toxic dressing room.

hobbers

Could have parachuted Pep in during the winter and we'd still be a similar position to this, if the squad all thought he was only an interim and he wasnt allowed to make any signings in January.

The players all stopped trying, and the dressing room is fatally fractured. No manager in world football could have rescued this without being given the permanent job and been able to drop the worst offenders and bring others in during January.

Status
Not open for further replies.