g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Not many. The usual suspects of Ole inners and some new members who could be the same Ole inners and the Pok fans who thought Ralf was instrumental in getting ETH. For all the truth Ralf may have recommended The Pok for all we know.
Do you mean Poch?

Does Pochettino really have a large fan base among the United fans on this forum?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Really the biggest issue on this forum nowadays is that so many people don't really know what they want anymore, or they do but they don't have the patience and can't help reacting to every single individual event.

A lot of people were saying when Rangnick joined that they would accept poor results as long as it signalled some kind of longer term progress. Obviously time will tell on whether that proves to be the case, and if we are being realistic there hasn't been anything obvious to really get behind Ralf for - apart from publicly (& mostly politely) slagging our players off which anybody could have done. On pitch has been very underwhelming, but it was always quite possible and also quite predictable that his ultimate assessment was going to be that this squad are not capable of playing the football we want to be playing.

I do though find it extremely comforting and confidence inspiring that people are now under no illusions that the club has to change fundamentally. How much of that is down to Ralf airing our dirty laundry is anyone's guess, but I don't think its a coincidence that everything is now being laid bare. He has set the tone for that, and if that truly kickstarts a root and branch change of attitude at the club then he has delivered his brief and then some.
I take my hat off to you Bilbo. I have to say it's quite refreshing to see someone who was so in the Ole camp at least put a bit of perspective onto the whole situation.

I don't like talking about camps but it's pretty obvious that the ones sticking the knife most into Ralf are the ones who defended Ole to the death. At least from the outside looking in it seems more than a coincidence.

Foxbatt

Do you mean Poch?

Does Pochettino really have a large fan base among the United fans on this forum?
No I meant The Pok as a British newspaper reporter kept on saying. He certainly had a very vocal fan base here for sure. Not sure if you aren't one of them?

Amarsdd

I take my hat off to you Bilbo. I have to say it's quite refreshing to see someone who was so in the Ole camp at least put a bit of perspective onto the whole situation.

I don't like talking about camps but it's pretty obvious that the ones sticking the knife most into Ralf are the ones who defended Ole to the death. At least from the outside looking in it seems more than a coincidence.
Please get off your high horse! Feck me! Every time there is even a little bit of criticism of Ralf, you guys come in with the " oh Ole ****, Ole ****". Honestly, thats been the most annoying thing in this thread. I supported Ole (your Ole ****) for the last two seasons, and also was one who thought he should have been sacked when things started looking bad. I had high hopes of Ralf because how everyone said he was a genius, high hopes not only of his consultancy role but also of the interim role hoping he could just stabilize things. Obviously, that hasn't happenend. So, at the same time we lay large portion of the blame on the players, and hoping Ralf does good in the consultancy role, are we not allowed to criticize him as a manager, a job he's currently doing? Is that how blinkered you guys have been in regards to Ralf?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Thanks mate, I appreciate that but really the only camp I've ever been in is the United camp. I backed Ole further than most because I honestly believed he warranted it. He had to go when he did, and when he did a line was drawn under it from my perspective. I rarely ever think about it any more. It's done and I try not to talk about it on here because, as you say, it's all too divisive and agenda driven.

DevilRed

Personally despite his love of drama and creating negative press I would like the club to keep him around as an advisor.

The rebuild talk is overblown bringing in 10+ new players in one summer is unrealistic to say the least. We'll probably lose 10+ players but the squad has been bloated this season and could do with a lot of trimming. I reckon we'll only be signing 4-5 new players and promoting some youngsters next season. Ten Hag will hopefully succeed where Rangnick has failed in getting the squad morale and confidence back up and getting them playing as a team again.
I for one would be pissed off if we brough 10 new players through the door.

I hope what Rangnick means is that part of those 10 will be some of the academy lads and loanees.

Highly unrealistic to expect that many changes. Reeks of amateurishness to even mention such figures in the press. Makes me question his suitability as an advisor at all.

Keefy18

Please get off your high horse! Feck me! Every time there is even a little bit of criticism of Ralf, you guys come in with the " oh Ole ****, Ole ****". Honestly, thats been the most annoying thing in this thread. I supported Ole (your Ole ****) for the last two seasons, and also was one who thought he should have been sacked when things started looking bad. I had high hopes of Ralf because how everyone said he was a genius, high hopes not only of his consultancy role but also of the interim role hoping he could just stabilize things. Obviously, that hasn't happenend. So, at the same time we lay large portion of the blame on the players, and hoping Ralf does good in the consultancy role, are we not allowed to criticize him as a manager, a job he's currently doing? Is that how blinkered you guys have been in regards to Ralf?

Honestly its so incredibly sad and boring to still see these types of comments on here... I've been on/off the CAFE for the best part of 10 years and since LVG its LVG in camp and outters and then again for Jose and same story again for Ole.

Folks really, really need to see the bigger picture here... all managers ultimately failed. Arguing about what's been is irrelevant and you may as well be screaming into the void!

Ralf is a poor manager, I think pretty much everyone knows it. I wasn't sold on him as manager til May... BUT.. Who was available?

We made the right choice in not rushing into appointing Conte or another. Poch is still at PSG and could possibly stay into next year also, so the options were / are extremely limited.

What happened during Ralf's tenure was / is largely irrelevant, its him scouting for ETH coming in. Judging players on field intellect, fitness levels, attitudes etc etc so ETH has a bit of a head start coming in.

Amarsdd

Honestly its so incredibly sad and boring to still see these types of comments on here... I've been on/off the CAFE for the best part of 10 years and since LVG its LVG in camp and outters and then again for Jose and same story again for Ole.

Folks really, really need to see the bigger picture here... all managers ultimately failed. Arguing about what's been is irrelevant and you may as well be screaming into the void!

Ralf is a poor manager, I think pretty much everyone knows it. I wasn't sold on him as manager til May... BUT.. Who was available?

We made the right choice in not rushing into appointing Conte or another. Poch is still at PSG and could possibly stay into next year also, so the options were / are extremely limited.

What happened during Ralf's tenure was / is largely irrelevant, its him scouting for ETH coming in. Judging players on field intellect, fitness levels, attitudes etc etc so ETH has a bit of a head start coming in.
And am I saying any different to what you have?

Its just been annoying people just bringing up "Ole ****" every fecking time in response to any criticism of Ralf not doing a good job as a manager. No one is questioning what good or bad it might be in the bigger picture.

Foxbatt

Its just been annoying people just bringing up "Ole ****" every fecking time in response to any criticism of Ralf not doing a good job as a manager. No one is questioning what good or bad it might be in the bigger picture.
No one is saying that Ralf is a good manager right now. The hope has always been that he can identify what is wrong and pass it on to the new manager. I do not think anyone wanted Ralf to remain as a manager as per like Ole. In fact the biggest fear among people who liked Ralf was that the club may try to keep him as the manager and would miss out on someone like EHT just the same way we messed about with the Ole appointment.

Keefy18

Well you are, you're bringing the whole in/out topic into it when its not needed.

He's a poor manager who has achieved little, but was the best option we had given the circumstances.

The football hasn't improved at all, but sod it... I've no doubt in my mind he's rattled a lot of cages in the dressing room and rightly so.

The board have made an absolute shambles of things by empowering the players far, far too much. They've made players bigger than the manager AND club... stupid wages given for mediocrity and idiotic and embarrassing unveilings with piano's and feck knows what else.

The season was pretty much a write off in November that's how bad it was / is.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Ragnick is an utter fraud ... good at management-speak, self-promoting and quick to deflect blame.
He sounds like a more sophisticated version of Moyes.
How can he keep berating the players in public this way? At the end of the day, all managers need to have a "human" touch ... support the players in public, build their confidence in training and only berate them in the dressing room if it is warranted. If you keep complaining all the time then the impact of the complaints disappear after some time. How many players have actually come out in support of Ralf?

Amarsdd

Well you are, you're bringing the whole in/out topic into it when its not needed.

He's a poor manager who has achieved little, but was the best option we had given the circumstances.

The football hasn't improved at all, but sod it... I've no doubt in my mind he's rattled a lot of cages in the dressing room and rightly so.

The board have made an absolute shambles of things by empowering the players far, far too much. They've made players bigger than the manager AND club... stupid wages given for mediocrity and idiotic and embarrassing unveilings with piano's and feck knows what else.

The season was pretty much a write off in November that's how bad it was / is.
I was pointing it out in the post I was replying to and explaining my annoyance at that ..

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Rangnick is barely a manager these days so the claim is basically that there were no managers available.
That seems hard to believe.

Keefy18

Rangnick is barely a manager these days so the claim is basically that there were no managers available.
That seems hard to believe.
Simply put, who was available that would appease the supporters AND... Bring us back to glory?

Pep and Klopp weren't joining us obviously.
Rodgers? Good luck. He would of been an awful appointment!
Simone? They play horrible football!
Poch? In a job and stated he wasn't leaving at least until the end of the season, the same as ETH.

If you're going to suggest some relative unknown, wouldn't that be akin to what we did in appointing RR anyway?

Your comments today show you as being completely impatient and expecting instant results.

No one I've seen here across at least the last 30 or so pages has praised Ralf other than calling out some toxic players, most have said he is a poor manager... but and this is this key bit here, they realize he is an interim and the situation is temporary.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Simply put, who was available that would appease the supporters AND... Bring us back to glory?
The answer to that question is "nobody." But the reason why that's the answer is because there isn't a single manager (except maybe Guardiola) who can guarantee "bringing you back to glory."

What you seem to be asking for isn't a manager, but a prophet who'll lead you to the promised land. But that's the opposite of what a modern football setup is supposed to be. The manager shouldn't be irreplaceable. Clubs hire and fire quickly, they have to take risks and then act decisively when they don't pan out. The club Rangnick "built", RB Leipzig, quickly fired their underperforming new manager once they realized things weren't working out, and went and got some other guy.

Last edited:

Awwal Lawal

Pep and Klopp weren't joining us obviously.
Rodgers? Good luck. He would of been an awful appointment!
Simone? They play horrible football!
Poch? In a job and stated he wasn't leaving at least until the end of the season, the same as ETH.

If you're going to suggest some relative unknown, wouldn't that be akin to what we did in appointing RR anyway?

Your comments today show you as being completely impatient and expecting instant results.

No one I've seen here across at least the last 30 or so pages has praised Ralf other than calling out some toxic players, most have said he is a poor manager... but and this is this key bit here, they realize he is an interim and the situation is temporary.
Saying that there are no coaches available means the board never did a due diligence and relied on the recommendation of John Murtogh (a friend/acquittance of Ralf).

If we look at his coaching CV and the length of time he has been out of coaching we can extrapolate this information to find coaches who are out of job that have a similar/matching CV.

Ralf has a Cup win and a second place finish in the Bundesliga as his CV highlights. These are matchable achievements using the metric of top five Leagues in Europe and out of job coaches.

As a matter of fact, most of the ardent supporter of Ralf lauds his club management and revamping laurels far above his coaching credentials.

Thus if it evident to armchair football experts United management team needed to search in-depth to find a passable coach to succeed Ole.

Foxbatt

A lot of these Ralf haters are supporters of other clubs or have just joined here and I presume are WUMs.
They are very disingenuous. None of the real United fans wanted the Board to mess up again. We all know that the malaise is not just the manager and runs much deep.
No decent manager wanted to come halfway through the season because they were involved in the CL and the ones available were not willing to come for just 6 months until the end of the season.
So it's why they got Ralf and it looks like he has done a good job of telling them how it is and laying down the foundation for the new incoming manager to understand what is wrong with the club.

SAFMUTD

The results and performances have been awful, but his honesty is great. Those hard truths are refreshing, no more where to hide for the players. I dont care that we've thrown this season away, I think its healthier on the long term for us to have got Ten Hag and start shipping out those shitty players than what we could have done signing another pretty much any other available manager at the time.

stevoc

Do you mean Poch?

No I meant The Pok as a British newspaper reporter kept on saying. He certainly had a very vocal fan base here for sure. Not sure if you aren't one of them?
No idea who the guy is but I've always been a huge fan of his.

As for Pochettino, let's just say I'm delighted Ten Hag's been confirmed.

Awwal Lawal

A lot of these Ralf haters are supporters of other clubs or have just joined here and I presume are WUMs.
They are very disingenuous. None of the real United fans wanted the Board to mess up again. We all know that the malaise is not just the manager and runs much deep.
No decent manager wanted to come halfway through the season because they were involved in the CL and the ones available were not willing to come for just 6 months until the end of the season.
So it's why they got Ralf and it looks like he has done a good job of telling them how it is and laying down the foundation for the new incoming manager to understand what is wrong with the club.
You have made a lot of faulty assumptions:
1. Anybody who critiques Ralf is an hater and supports other clubs and is Wumming.

2. That newbies can't make sensible post and contribute meaningfully to United discourse.

3. By extension poster who hold contrary views wish the Club to fail.

4. By your admission Ralf isn't a decent manager because no decent manager would come in half way during the season.

5. That because Ralf has done a good job of saying it as it is, it exclude the ability of getting a top four which is an important milestone for any United manager.

A good coach can achieve a top four and in the process tell the club how things should be done without making each factor exclusive all within the remit of a six month job period.

If the toxic nature of United players is apparent to you as an outsider, then a coach who works with them daily does not need six months to arrive at similar conclusion.

stevoc

I hope what Rangnick means is that part of those 10 will be some of the academy lads and loanees.

Highly unrealistic to expect that many changes. Reeks of amateurishness to even mention such figures in the press. Makes me question his suitability as an advisor at all.
Yeah unless we pull of the transfer window of the century by finding 10 unknown gems for small fees and a few free agents then I don't see how the club could afford to sign 10 new players of the required quality. Decent players let alone top ones go for £30m+ these days, I doubt Ten Hag will have £300-500m to spend this summer.

Foxbatt

You have made a lot of faulty assumptions:
1. Anybody who critiques Ralf is an hater and supports other clubs and is Wumming.

2. That newbies can't make sensible post and contribute meaningfully to United discourse.

3. By extension poster who hold contrary views wish the Club to fail.

4. By your admission Ralf isn't a decent manager because no decent manager would come in half way during the season.

5. That because Ralf has done a good job of saying it as it is, it exclude the ability of getting a top four which is an important milestone for any United manager.

A good coach can achieve a top four and in the process tell the club how things should be done without making each factor exclusive all within the remit of a six month job period.

If the toxic nature of United players is apparent to you as an outsider, then a coach who works with them daily does not need six months to arrive at similar conclusion.
Tell me sunshine who was the manager who was going to come over just for 6 months and who had any experience of restructuring a club?
As for supporters of other clubs, look at their profile. It says so.

Foxbatt

Yeah unless we pull of the transfer window of the century by finding 10 unknown gems for small fees and a few free agents then I don't see how the club could afford to sign 10 new players of the required quality. Decent players let alone top ones go for £30m+ these days, I doubt Ten Hag will have £300-500m to spend this summer.
I agree. Max he can get is three but I think what Ralf meant was United needed about 10 players to compete with Liverpool and City as they had completely overhauled their squad.

KwendaHuko

Guys need to back off and be realistic.

Last season when we won the "second place trophy", on match day 34 we had 67 points, 67 point today would get you 4th position, after Chelsea who have 2 games in hand now with 65 points. This points to a league which was extremely poor.

We finished with 74 points already at stage 33 games we could be mathematically impossible to finish 2nd. 74 points total for last season is already number 3 in this season with 5 games to play. Pointing to extremely poor league season.

Again,
In the Top 5 most seasons Man United have conceded the highest amount of goals in the league, 3 of those seasons have OLE hands on it.
From highs of 54 to now 51 to low of 44 and 36 goals a season. To a defence built with signing of Maguire, Telles, Bissaka, Varane, with over £175 MILLION invested in that defence.

All this point to a very broader problem to which many people do not want to accept that we have been shit.

Ralf is just like a doctor asked to keep a patient alive, who looked healthy just a few months ago but had a heart attack ( from lifestyle issues - read Man United mismanagement), after diagnosis Ralf has recommended a Heart Surgery ( he himself said it) now, we the family of the patient we are mad at the doctor wondering why he the doctor couldn't have our family member.

We need to accept the problem has occurred, and the doctor who has diagnosed the problem can not be part of the problem.
The doctor is even advising on the specialist we need to see to have a chance of survival. ( Ten Hag, kind of players we need).

We need to support Ralf as much as possible, because changes in United won't come from inside but from Outside people like Ralf.

stevoc

I agree. Max he can get is three but I think what Ralf meant was United needed about 10 players to compete with Liverpool and City as they had completely overhauled their squad.
Ralf may have meant 10 new players over the next few windows but either just worded it poorly or he's been misquoted by the media for the headline.

Awwal Lawal

Tell me sunshine who was the manager who was going to come over just for 6 months and who had any experience of restructuring a club?
As for supporters of other clubs, look at their profile. It says so.
Again you are putting the cart before the horse the primary remit isn't club restructuring, it is delivering the milestones on the football pitch.

It has been argued here that if Ralf was hired for his Club restructuring prowess, then with immediate effect employ him directly for that role and leave the player assessment for a person with a recent experience managing the First Team of a big club.

Back to your question of a manager that can come in for a six month period and do a better job, I answer earlier that just using the metric of top five Leagues manager for the past five years who are out of job who give the Club a handful of names that they can sift through to choose a manager more passable than Ole.

Also, no matter the coach, United is still an attractive proposition for an manager and the financial reward for the gig is eye popping.

Thus, many coaches would jump at the chance of managing United at that point it became available during the season.

darioterios

Not many. The usual suspects of Ole inners and some new members who could be the same Ole inners and the Pok fans who thought Ralf was instrumental in getting ETH. For all the truth Ralf may have recommended The Pok for all we know.
Reading the start of the thread again from end of November, I agree. From the beginning the majority of the Caf in this thread were actually very consistent and reasonable in setting the expectations for this period, stressing the importance of a potential consultancy role with an experienced football voice point out the problems the club have been facing in the decision-making structures, not just confined to on-pitch matters only, while also reckoning that the tenure could go south due to the mismatch between the squad and his style of play.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Back to your question of a manager that can come in for a six month period and do a better job, I answer earlier that just using the metric of top five Leagues manager for the past five years who are out of job who give the Club a handful of names that they can sift through to choose a manager more passable than Ole.
A number of people here have said they don't really want an interim manager to achieve any kind of success, because then the club wouldn't do the rebuild.

People here know the United board is incompetent, and are hoping for some series of perfectly timed crises that prevent the board from making any more dumb decisions.

Awwal Lawal

A number of people here have said they don't really want an interim manager to achieve any kind of success, because then the club wouldn't do the rebuild.

People here know the United board is incompetent, and are hoping for some series of perfectly timed crises that prevent the board from making any more dumb decisions.
Can there ever be a perfect storm? True success comes with baby steps and it's only in exceptional circumstances does a perfect storm occur.

Why then would anyone think an exception the norm?

It is easier to draw up two job requirements than tasking one man to do both.

Let Ralf consult on club restructuring and bring another person to oversee the issues on the field in an interim position. Ralf works long term while the coach works short term.

Hence why it doesn't have to be a mutually exclusive position that the Club can achieve a fourth place and still restructure the Club top to bottom.

Give the job to two competent people rather than a single person who makes a mess of one on the field and had an unclear/uncertain description in the other position.

Last edited:

DSG

Yeah. He’s been an unmitigated disaster. There are already reports that there is 100-150m to spend. That the board is looking to re-tool rather than rebuild.

All the shite we’ve put up with: the crap football,the naive tactics, the dressing room environment, Ralf calling out players publicly, saying we need 10 players…. It’s so depressing, it’s comical.

There’s a hell of a lot of explaining to do by Ralf. Every game is worse, every comment is worse, he’s killing the player’s confidence. What an ass.

DSG

Guys need to back off and be realistic.

Last season when we won the "second place trophy", on match day 34 we had 67 points, 67 point today would get you 4th position, after Chelsea who have 2 games in hand now with 65 points. This points to a league which was extremely poor.

We finished with 74 points already at stage 33 games we could be mathematically impossible to finish 2nd. 74 points total for last season is already number 3 in this season with 5 games to play. Pointing to extremely poor league season.

Again,
In the Top 5 most seasons Man United have conceded the highest amount of goals in the league, 3 of those seasons have OLE hands on it.
From highs of 54 to now 51 to low of 44 and 36 goals a season. To a defence built with signing of Maguire, Telles, Bissaka, Varane, with over £175 MILLION invested in that defence.

All this point to a very broader problem to which many people do not want to accept that we have been shit.

Ralf is just like a doctor asked to keep a patient alive, who looked healthy just a few months ago but had a heart attack ( from lifestyle issues - read Man United mismanagement), after diagnosis Ralf has recommended a Heart Surgery ( he himself said it) now, we the family of the patient we are mad at the doctor wondering why he the doctor couldn't have our family member.

We need to accept the problem has occurred, and the doctor who has diagnosed the problem can not be part of the problem.
The doctor is even advising on the specialist we need to see to have a chance of survival. ( Ten Hag, kind of players we need).

We need to support Ralf as much as possible, because changes in United won't come from inside but from Outside people like Ralf.
I can’t wait til Ralf is out. If he was the doctor, he was supposed to keep us alive, give us the protocol to improve. Well, that didn’t happen.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Regardless of qualification and football knoweldge, Ralf has done everything in his power to throw the players under the bus since he got here.

Right or wrong, not taking responsibility as the figurehead of the group is just poor leadership.

That being said, there are not many players in this squad that can be happy with what they did this season, the fallout has been spectacular following the previous season.

DSG

Ahh, the Top Red argument. You’re right, you must be a better fan than I am because I have a different opinion.

In one area, I agree with you: the Glazers are the cancer, and have a track record of making particularly poor decisions, especially post SAF. Since they were the ones that signed off on Ralf, and Ole before him, how can you be sure Ralf was/is good for the club? It was their decision, correct?

90 + 5min

Regardless of qualification and football knoweldge, Ralf has done everything in his power to throw the players under the bus since he got here.

Right or wrong, not taking responsibility as the figurehead of the group is just poor leadership.

That being said, there are not many players in this squad that can be happy with what they did this season, the fallout has been spectacular following the previous season.
He is not throwing them under bus. He is telling facts without filter. Something players need to hear. He should call them out by name but I guess that would be to much.

DSG

Hes in an interim role, not a permanent one as manager.
This is why you need a bit of an education on statistics.
What so, we are ignoring interim managers now? Jesus, the lengths you wil go to defend this guy is hilarious. Worst manager, interim, caretaker or permanent since Dave Sexton.

Status
Not open for further replies.