Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

The players Klopp managed when he joined Liverpool were shit. He shipped out most of them over the years.

Instead of calling them shit, he had them celebrate a draw against West Brom. He was roundly mocked for it here at Redcafe.

When they lost a Europa League final, he insisted they celebrate and told them "Two hours ago you all felt s***. Now hopefully you all feel better. This is just the start for us. We will play in many more finals."

Can anyone imagine Rangnick doing this? Of course not.
I think it's because he's only an interim manager so he doesn't really care about building bridges or any sort of man management. Unlike Klopp he knows he was never here for the long term. I remember back in december and january he seemed a lot happier and often hugged the players, put his hand on Ronaldo's leg, etc. But after the possibility of him being in the running for the position vanished, it felt like he stopped giving a shit and is just riding out the season like everyone else.

They may share similiar philosophies on football, but they are completely different managers.

DSG

The players worked for Klopp. They outright refuse to work for Rangnick.
Have you ever managed a team at work? Typically, respect is earned, not given. You need buy in from your employees, you need to motivate them.

He hasn’t earned the respect of the players. These are grown men, many of whom have won at the highest levels.

Klopp has so many attributes that Ralf doesn’t have. If he did, he’d be at Real or Barca by now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No self-respecting manager would stay at an interim job where the employees are "refusing to work for" him so why is he still around? Money?
Do you know he has a broader end goal to achieve with the club? Its not just this season, you know this right?

Zen86

Have you ever managed a team at work? Typically, respect is earned, not given. You need buy in from your employees, you need to motivate them.

He hasn’t earned the respect of the players. These are grown men, many of whom have won at the highest levels.

Klopp has so many attributes that Ralf doesn’t have. If he did, he’d be at Real or Barca by now.
You can easily identify who here has actually managed people before and who hasn’t.

Klopp is a very good man manager. Guardiola is a very good man manager. Ralf is not.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Yes. I give respect to my superiors and generally listen to them. Especially if I have been severely underperforming.

These players dont. You're having a mare, dont quote me please.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Do you know he has a broader end goal to achieve with the club? Its not just this season, you know this right?
Yes, like the broader end goal he had at Lokomotiv.

I don't actually believe Rangnick is at United for money. I simply believe he was hired to be an interim manager for Manchester United this season and is not doing a good job at it. That is the simplest explanation for everything that is going on. Too much fails to make sense unless you consider this simple possibility.

DSG

Yes. I give respect to my superiors and generally listen to them. Especially if I have been severely underperforming.

These players dont. You're having a mare, dont quote me please.
I asked you if you managed a team, not if you were being managed. Feel free to ignore me if you don’t like me calling out your drivel.

UpWithRivers

I don't actually believe Rangnick is at United for money. I simply believe he was hired to be an interim manager for Manchester United this season and is not doing a good job at it. That is the simplest explanation for everything that is going on. Too much fails to make sense unless you consider this simple possibility.
No its not. For that to be true the father of gegenpressing, with 30 plus years of managing and building clubs and endorsed by klopp, tuchel etc would have to be a total fraud. He would have to be the worst manager in the prem and a complete arsehole to get the dressing room to hate him so much they down tools. Thats not simple. Thats bat sht crazy left field conspiracy land. The simplest answer is that we have a bunch of layers that hate each other and will not take instructions.

UpWithRivers

This can be said of 99 percent of managers. Whats your point? No one is saying Ralf is Klopp level. Even if he's Bruce level with a mannerism of Mourinho behind the scenes, if the players just put up with it for 5 months and never downed tools we would still have got fourth. Look at us vs Liverpool and Everton vs Liverpool. They have sht players and bang average manager they still put up more of a fight than we did.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Mindset of the employees is just as important. When you have a group of spoilt brats and there is a constant theme of downing tools and underachievement, the management of that team is very difficult if the manager is basically only judged on the management of that roster and given no power to replace the employees. It is generally doomed to fail.

Most successful overturning of businesses or football clubs usually involves turnover of staff. Imagine judging Klopp and Pep based on a 6 month opening stint of Liverpool or City with no ability to swap out any of those existing players.

In sports teams where there is a lower level of education and higher tendency for spoilt brats to feature, this is only heightened.

mu4c_20le

No its not. For that to be true the father of gegenpressing, with 30 plus years of managing and building clubs and endorsed by klopp, tuchel etc would have to be a total fraud. He would have to be the worst manager in the prem and a complete arsehole to get the dressing room to hate him so much they down tools. Thats not simple. Thats bat sht crazy left field conspiracy land. The simplest answer is that we have a bunch of layers that hate each other and will not take instructions.
Hoffenheim and Schalke. Do you know what happened to Schalke?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I honestly don't know if this an ironic post, it reads like parody.

Rangnick has very little management experience at the top level of football in the last twenty years, more than a few of his stints have been at lower division sides. He has two years of management experience in the last decade, and zero experience in the PL. In this context it is not surprising at all that he's doing poorly. There are plenty of currently inactive managers who've won league titles, Champions league titles, and even have more recent experience than Rangnick, and I wouldn't expect any of them to do well at United by default either.

All this talk about Rangnick's future role... he's giving minutes to Mata, Lingard, Jones. He's said he intends to keep playing Matic, who announced he's leaving the club at the end of the season. Why would an interim manager play people who have no future at the club other than because they want to achieve short-term objectives?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The players worked for Klopp. They outright refuse to work for Rangnick.
I can't see why this keeps flying well under the radar with some people. He's always been between a rock and a hard place. He tried to instill discipline by getting them to work harder and dropping previously undroppable players. The players decided they didn't like it and decided to take the rest of the season off.

Other than hold a gun to the players heads, what else was he supposed to do? He could of sidelined the players with their contracts running out and played youth but then he still would of got hammered when they inevitable failed. How could the youth flourish with a rotten to the core squad?

I'm under no illusion that at least 80% of our problems are down to our players. Of course Ralf isn't blameless but he's been put in an impossible situation from the start.

UpWithRivers

Why would an interim manager play people who have no future at the club other than because they want to achieve short-term objectives?
Because he thinks like a normal person. Logic states that even if you are leaving from the club you would at least try for a million different reasons - pride, a thank you to the fans, professionalism, to get into the world cup squad, to get a good team to hire you and on and on. Ralf said as much in his interviews about Pogba. Why would any professional down tools even if they are leaving. Its unthinkable. Again Im not saying he is a good manager Im saying that being a sht manager doesnt account for the sht we have seen on the pitch. Its beyond bad tactics and bad man management.

tomaldinho1

As I always said he was lucky to land a role at a team like United given his record
Who else was available aside from Conte (who looks like he will also miss top 4) that would accept zero money and half a coaching team?

Ragnick isn’t even a manager and yet we’re better under him than under Ole. We’re on 1.65 points per game with Ragnick in the PL, Ole left us on 1.41 this season…people are either choosing to ignore or have genuinely forgotten how bad it was.

el3mel

Huh ? When did this happen ?

Only Varane, Ronaldo, Pogba and De Gea won something at such high level.

Shaw, Telles, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Bruno, Scott, Fred, Rashford, even Sancho..all won feck all of any major significance.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The players decided they didn't like it and decided to take the rest of the season off.
United were unlucky to not get anything against Arsenal, bad refereeing performance and poor luck with the penalty. Against Liverpool, a much better team, they were obliterated. Could it just be that United, as a collective, aren't very good right now?

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Ragnick isn’t even a manager and yet we’re better under him than under Ole. We’re on 1.65 points per game with Ragnick in the PL, Ole left us on 1.41 this season…people are either choosing to ignore or have genuinely forgotten how bad it was.
People are choosing to ignore this analysis because it is unsound.

mu4c_20le

Who else was available aside from Conte (who looks like he will also miss top 4) that would accept zero money and half a coaching team?
According to papers, Ernesto Valverde, Lucien Favre, Rudi Garcia, and Laurent Blanc.

DSG

This can be said of 99 percent of managers. Whats your point? No one is saying Ralf is Klopp level. Even if he's Bruce level with a mannerism of Mourinho behind the scenes, if the players just put up with it for 5 months and never downed tools we would still have got fourth. Look at us vs Liverpool and Everton vs Liverpool. They have sht players and bang average manager they still put up more of a fight than we did.
I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree. If your argument is that the players are intentionally losing games because they hate Ralf, and Ralf has 0% responsibility for this situation, then We are never going to agree. This is the same squad who were in 1st place in January last season and finished 2nd. We added Ronaldo Sancho and Varane.

I do think the players have some responsibility for the poor showing. But to say Ralf didn’t contribute to this mess is patently wrong.

DSG

I can't see why this keeps flying well under the radar with some people. He's always been between a rock and a hard place. He tried to instill discipline by getting them to work harder and dropping previously undroppable players. The players decided they didn't like it and decided to take the rest of the season off.

Other than hold a gun to the players heads, what else was he supposed to do? He could of sidelined the players with their contracts running out and played youth but then he still would of got hammered when they inevitable failed. How could the youth flourish with a rotten to the core squad?

I'm under no illusion that at least 80% of our problems are down to our players. Of course Ralf isn't blameless but he's been put in an impossible situation from the start.
So, theoretically, when ETH comes in, we should be pretty bad as well because at most, we’d get 2-3 signings for the first 11, correct? If this is the case, what’s your prediction for next season? Or are you convinced that the players will play/work for ETH and if so, why?

DSG

Ole’s win % was 54%, Ralf’s is 40%. Ole was at 1.95 points per game last season in the PL…

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
United were unlucky to not get anything against Arsenal, bad refereeing performance and poor luck with the penalty. Against Liverpool, a much better team, they were obliterated. Could it just be that United, as a collective, aren't very good right now?
I've no doubt you're right that as a collective we aren't very good but what definitely contributes to performances is the attitude of the players. Ours have lost all interest in fighting for the shirt which is unforgivable. When a (interim) manager is continually saying players aren't listening to his instructions, like the first goal conceded against Liverpool then the only option is to bin half the team but as that isn't a viable option this stage of the season all the flack is being landed on Rangnicks head.

DSG

You can easily identify who here has actually managed people before and who hasn’t.

Klopp is a very good man manager. Guardiola is a very good man manager. Ralf is not.
Agree. The recent pressers by Ralf have been appalling. He’s not exactly building bridges.

Stacks

Rangnick knocked us out of every cup including vs a championship team. We were in them all still and topped CL group with one of the semi finalists in our group. Just got beat 4-0 by Liverpool. Our season was over by Feb. Ole also only managed for 12 games vs RR 20 so it is fairly small improvement for 8 additional games. RR is a car crash. zero redeeming management qualities. Don't even know what he is good at. Every player is shit under him and couldnt even manage the typical "new manager bounce". typical of United

DSG

Huh ? When did this happen ?

Only Varane, Ronaldo, Pogba and De Gea won something at such high level.

Shaw, Telles, AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Bruno, Scott, Fred, Rashford, even Sancho..all won feck all of any major significance.
Mata, Matic, Cavani? Ralf’s won one fecking trophy. I suppose you don’t count Portuguese league, that’s fair, but it’s not like the German Cup that Ralf (kinda) won is the standard for major trophies…..

Idxomer

According to papers, Ernesto Valverde, Lucien Favre, Rudi Garcia, and Laurent Blanc.
Three have been sacked from their last club and the last one doing terribly in the Qatari league, not a great group to say the least.

el3mel

Mata, Matic, Cavani? Ralf’s won one fecking trophy. I suppose you don’t count Portuguese league, that’s fair, but it’s not like the German Cup that Ralf (kinda) won is the standard for major trophies…..
Mata ? Cavani ? Do these guys even play anymore ?

It feels like you have dedicated your life to prove that Ralf is shit. He's an interim manager who managed for few months and is already leaving after 4 more games, yet you're worked up so much to prove something that won't matter at all in the grand scheme of things.

Relax.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Three have been sacked from their last club and the last one doing terribly in the Qatari league, not a great group to say the least.
There are very few managers available who haven't been sacked from their last club.

Let's be real here. The profile for an interim manager is almost always someone with a connection to the club. A former manager, a former player, a current assistant. The job is primarily motivation. United couldn't give interim to a former player because the manager they fired was a former player and former interim, and there are no 'former managers' since SAF managed so long.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

This is why your take is limited. Your understanding of what Rangnick is brought in to do is incomplete.

tomaldinho1

People are choosing to ignore this analysis because it is unsound.
You're going to have to explain how?

Of those I would have preferred Valverde than Ragnick but otherwise, no difference. Favre imploded and he's just a counter merchant, Blanc has been out of elite football for ages and Garcia is simply not good enough, at least Ragnick has the added background which we might actually utilise as a consultant.

Ole’s win % was 54%, Ralf’s is 40%. Ole was at 1.95 points per game last season in the PL…
Please check your maths. Ole was sacked with United in 8th on 17 points after 12 games, if his ppg was 1.95 we would have had 24 points and been 4th.

Rangnick knocked us out of every cup including vs a championship team. We were in them all still and topped CL group with one of the semi finalists in our group. Just got beat 4-0 by Liverpool. Our season was over by Feb. Ole also only managed for 12 games vs RR 20 so it is fairly small improvement for 8 additional games. RR is a car crash. zero redeeming management qualities. Don't even know what he is good at. Every player is shit under him and couldnt even manage the typical "new manager bounce". typical of United
Agreed but bolded bit is exactly the point. I haven't seen anyone on here praising Ragnick as a great coach and someone we should back long term, what I have seen is people saying he was worse than Ole which based on this season isn't true. Unless you fabricate numbers like @DSG

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not to mention Ralf had 6 games against the bottom 4. He will end the season with 15 of his 24 games being against bottom half teams. It’s been a complete disaster. But hey he calls the players shit in public so what a brilliant manager he is.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
This is why your take is limited. Your understanding of what Rangnick is brought in to do is incomplete.
Your understanding of what Rangnick was brought in to do is not real. It is a figment of your imagination.

DSG

Mata ? Cavani ? Do these guys even play anymore ?

It feels like you have dedicated your life to prove that Ralf is shit. He's an interim manager who managed for few months and is already leaving after 4 more games, yet you're worked up so much to prove something that won't matter at all in the grand scheme of things.

Relax.
Why are you here?

DSG

You're going to have to explain how?

Of those I would have preferred Valverde than Ragnick but otherwise, no difference. Favre imploded and he's just a counter merchant, Blanc has been out of elite football for ages and Garcia is simply not good enough, at least Ragnick has the added background which we might actually utilise as a consultant.

Please check your maths. Ole was sacked with United in 8th on 17 points after 12 games, if his ppg was 1.95 we would have had 24 points and been 4th.

Agreed but bolded bit is exactly the point. I haven't seen anyone on here praising Ragnick as a great coach and someone we should back long term, what I have seen is people saying he was worse than Ole which based on this season isn't true. Unless you fabricate numbers like @DSG
1.95 pts LAST SEASON. Read fella. Also, Ralf’s win% this season is actually worse than Ole’s this season. Agree that until now, Ralf has more point per match in the PL THIS SEASON

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
So, theoretically, when ETH comes in, we should be pretty bad as well because at most, we’d get 2-3 signings for the first 11, correct? If this is the case, what’s your prediction for next season? Or are you convinced that the players will play/work for ETH and if so, why?
It can't be overstayed enough the importance of getting rid of the toxic atmosphere that's obviously infecting our club. There's reportedly factions within the squad that are opposed to one another. The first thing that needs to happen is those factions are ripped up no matter who may be involved and gotten rid of.

I'm not saying Pogba is being toxic but I'm sure his attitude is effecting squad morale with his don't give a feck attitude since (well before?) Ralf came in. The same as Lingard who I can imagine sticking the knife in any opportunity he can to cause further unrest after being promised playing time by the club and not getting it. Rashfords attitude stinks. How does that help the club? Getting rid of him would be a massive sign that no player is safe if the attitude isn't right but part of me wants to give him 6 months to see what he'd be like under TH.

Stripping Maguire of the captaincy is a must because from the outside looking in the players have no respect for him and truthfully how could they?

All in all it's not the amount of players brought in by ETH that's the most important thing for me. It's getting unity within the squad because without that unity we are going absolutely no where. Perhaps with some of the players leaving that unity will be restored which will make THs job a hell of a lot easier.

I've learnt not to make a prediction on where we're going to finish in the league as I thought we'd be comfortable top 4 under Ralf but if the players are willing to buy into ETHs philosophy and we bring in those 3 or 4 players then a top 4 finish wouldn't be out of the question. If the players decide they can't be bothered by the hard work needed under him then anything goes but I wouldn't be too worried because with ETH and hopefully Ralf at the club I'm guessing these players will be moved on before they pollute any incoming players.

Idxomer

There are very few managers available who haven't been sacked from their last club.

Let's be real here. The profile for an interim manager is almost always someone with a connection to the club. A former manager, a former player, a current assistant. The job is primarily motivation. United couldn't give interim to a former player because the manager they fired was a former player and former interim, and there are no 'former managers' since SAF managed so long.
The point is they weren't good enough, the best option was Valverde who had problems with his dressing room in Barca and hasn't been working for over 2 years now. The best option for immediate results might've been Carrick but the backlash from the media and fans would've been too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.