Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluctuation0161

Yeah him fecking off to the Austrian national team is a disgrace. He made us look like absolute muppets.
The United gig would be a side hustle for him for fecks sake
The United board have only offered him a 6 day a month consultancy role apparently. I think the blame lies with them.

stevoc

He might not have been asked to make a dossier by the club but I bet he has done one off his own bat just in case!
Yeah I'm sure he spends his free time compiling dossiers and has colour coded binders for each player.

Robbie Boy

Perhaps mate but that quote is from the clubs official site and initial statement when we hired him back in November. What it said in that statement back then (that he'll be a consultant) is pretty much what is happening now.
I'm talking about the reports that have come out in recent days, not what was said retrospectively.

I haven't really been following much about Ralf tbh, as this season has been akin to a Greek tragedy. I don't really care what his role will be either, to be perfectly honest. I'm delighted we got ETH and am extremely excited about the future. Ralf ultimately came into a shit-show and failed to improve it. He'll be a very minor footnote in the club's history.

phelans shorts

Yeah I'm sure he spends his free time compiling dossiers and has colour coded binders for each player.
Looking at Ralf, he absolutely does. There is a man who loves a spreadsheet.

Aside from him being German, him turning up at the West Indies vs England test match recently was the least surprising thing ever. That is a man who was made to sit at a county championship out ground watching the second eleven on a freezing cold September day.

crossy1686

career ending
This consultancy lark is a weird one. Are there any examples of other clubs hiring a relatively high profile consultant?

I am guessing successful clubs would just hire competent people in permanent roles
How do you hire a consultant to give advice on how the club should be run and not undermine the actual manager? Who’s really in charge if they’re both appointed full time? What happens if the DOF or whatever the title is decides the manager is wrong regarding recruitment or general squad building?

United are doing what they always do, taking something that should be done properly and doing it by half to fully ensure it doesn’t work for anyone

Seveneric

Hindsight is a bitch, but maybe Solskjaer should have just stayed on (as long as the endgame stays the same and he leaves at the end of the season), I don't think he'd have been worse.

crossy1686

career ending
Hindsight is a bitch, but maybe Solskjaer should have just stayed on (as long as the endgame stays the same and he leaves at the end of the season), I don't think he'd have been worse.
We were getting absolutely pummelled by every team we played, at least that stopped until recently when Ralf went full metal jacket. And Ole would still be sat in press conferences taking the blame for anything while beanz and the gang post pictures of themselves in Dubai and watching West Ham games all over social media.

AshRK

Or should have appointed a better interim who knew a thing or two about being a manager. Even Carrick would have done a better job than this crap that has been served to us. We have basically shafted this season by hiring a guy who is just a good speaker and good at pointing out mistakes.

Memento28

Yes. With this squad, I think Klopp, Pep, Tuchel, Ancelotti, Conte, Nagelsmann, Gaultier, Simeone, Emery, Enrique, Zidane, hell, probably Lopetegui, Sarri, Allegri would’ve gotten top 4.

It doesn’t matter what the Ralf fan boy cult thinks, the fact of the matter is that the board expected Ralf to stabilize the defense, achieve top 4 and provide a platform for success for the permanent manager. He’s failed in every way, alienated the squad, is tactically naive, no,wait, stupid.

He’s a clown and a fraud and in a 20 year managerial career, he’s won one measly trophy against a Bundesliga 2 side where he came in just before the final. :lol: .

There is this Ralf cult idea that he is the the genius behind the high press. No, he stole that from Arrigo Saatchi who stole it from Rinus Michels who stole it from some guy no one can remember. There is this idea that counter attacking football isn’t modern, isn’t smart, doesn’t win trophies. False. Zidane’s Real sides were essentially counter attacking, Conte, Ancelotti, Emery, Allegri, Simeone… the list goes on. SAF played a 4-5-1 (mostly in Europe) or a 4-4-2 almost exclusively, two counter attacking formations, and that fella won a few trophies.

If Ralf had successfully installed the geggenpress, morphed to a 4-2-2-2 successfully, solidified the defense, made us play BETTER, I wouldn’t have cared about the top 4. But he’s been a disaster in every category. This idea that we have to be bad in order to become great again is a view held by naive nitwits who don’t understand management. We can easily go from good to great, we don’t need to burn it to the ground first. No CEO, ever, was like, “let’s feck up our products so bad that no one will buy them and we can just start over with new ones.”
Maybe Rangnick is a fraud, but why couldn't top managers like Van Gaal and Mourinho manage to make the team play well together when they got more time than Rangnick? You are in for a shock if you think United's issues will be fixed in 4 - 5 months. Ever since SAF left, the same problems have existed irrespective of the manager. The managers have been a scapegoat for the owners, board, and players. It's not about Rangnick fanboys or whatever, you need to realize that the problems aren't only with the manager; bloated salaries for players who aren't consistent, players who don't perform getting chances over and over again while good players like Van De Beek do not get any chances, players leaking information, 0 teamwork, signing players randomly without a plan, focusing more on commercial stuff, clueless chairman (Woodward), ex-players getting involved. All the above managers you mentioned above would need at least half a season or full season to make the team play well and according to the manager's philosophy, the manager is also responsible for the issues I mentioned above but the manager isn't responsible for all of the issues. SAF won his first trophy at United in his third season for us, not in his first or second season. Kloop got Liverpool into the top 4 in his second season for them and the other managers you are talking about never had to manage a team that was managed for 25 years by one manager.

Last edited:

Matt851

How do you hire a consultant to give advice on how the club should be run and not undermine the actual manager? Who’s really in charge if they’re both appointed full time? What happens if the DOF or whatever the title is decides the manager is wrong regarding recruitment or general squad building?

United are doing what they always do, taking something that should be done properly and doing it by half to fully ensure it doesn’t work for anyone
Fully agree, my suspicision is that they don't actually care about improving but just want to be seem to be doing the right thing

crossy1686

career ending
Or should have appointed a better interim who knew a thing or two about being a manager. Even Carrick would have done a better job than this crap that has been served to us. We have basically shafted this season by hiring a guy who is just a good speaker and good at pointing out mistakes.
So a consultant?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're right - how dare we hire a manager who did a good job at Shalke Hoffenheim and RB as manager whilst being widely respected as both coach and DoF. We should have opted for Carrick as you say, a guy who had a half decent 3 games and based it on that. Because that works so well for us given our historical selection too. We should have known that bringing in a novice ex player is 100% the way to go.

crossy1686

career ending
You're right - how dare we hire a manager who did a good job at Shalke Hoffenheim and RB as manager whilst being widely respected as both coach and DoF. We should have opted for Carrick as you say, a guy who had a half decent 3 games and based it on that. Because that works so well for us given our historical selection too. We should have known that bringing in a novice ex player is 100% the way to go.
A novice ex player who wanted to leave to spend time with his family

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
You're right - how dare we hire a manager who did a good job at Shalke Hoffenheim and RB as manager whilst being widely respected as both coach and DoF.
When was the last time a big, serious club with a track record of success hired an interim with a similar profile?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Hail King Ralph.

I absolutely love the bloke and I couldn't care less about the results he's got or not got from this bunch of embarrassing so-called professional players. My take is that about 3 weeks into the job he realised that they weren't having any of it and were trying to get him fired like they did previous managers. He then decided he'd give them all the rope needed to hang themsleves in the public eye by playing all the worst offenders regularly in the team so they couldn't try to claim they'd not been given the opportunity to prove themselves come the summer cull.

If you think he's a shit manager then fair enough, results certainly could be used to evidence that view - I just think the mitigating factors are so large that it's not so easy to claim he's the most to blame for it.

crossy1686

career ending
Hail King Ralph.

I absolutely love the bloke and I couldn't care less about the results he's got or not got from this bunch of embarrassing so-called professional players. My take is that about 3 weeks into the job he realised that they weren't having any of it and were trying to get him fired like they did previous managers. He then decided he'd give them all the rope needed to hang themsleves in the public eye by playing all the worst offenders regularly in the team so they couldn't try to claim they'd not been given the opportunity to prove themselves come the summer cull.

If you think he's a shit manager then fair enough, results certainly could be used to evidence that view - I just think the mitigating factors are so large that it's not so easy to claim he's the most to blame for it.
His role has very much been “let’s just watch it burn and see what’s salvageable”. Personally I think it’s the wake up a call a lot of people needed at the club. We can’t keep pretending everything’s fine with a top 4 finish and we can’t keep bouncing from 2nd to 7th because the players don’t fancy it this season anymore. That doesn’t happen at any other major club because the players have pride in their performances and know they’re finished at the top level if they play like this.

Deery

Dreary
If he’s not 100% committed what use is he, he hasn’t exactly done anything to suggest he any use anyway..

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
He then decided he'd give them all the rope needed to hang themsleves in the public eye by playing all the worst offenders regularly in the team so they couldn't try to claim they'd not been given the opportunity to prove themselves come the summer cull.
Mata? Lingard? Players out of contract, what rope did they need to hang themselves? Jones? Dalot, a player who wasn't even at United last season? Wan Bissaka, who people here don't like, and is playing less regularly?

GaryLifo

His role has very much been “let’s just watch it burn and see what’s salvageable”. Personally I think it’s the wake up a call a lot of people needed at the club. We can’t keep pretending everything’s fine with a top 4 finish and we can’t keep bouncing from 2nd to 7th because the players don’t fancy it this season anymore. That doesn’t happen at any other major club because the players have pride in their performances and know they’re finished at the top level if they play like this.
Exactly- I've made this point before, but I'll say it again - the alternative sliding doors scenario where we brought in Lopetegui and he scrapes us into top 4 and then gets the job FT on a 3 year deal. Pogba, Lingard and Mata / Matic are asked to stay on and we sign a couple of 'big names' in the summer. Then by mid December we're still as inconsistent as ever and the manager is under pressure again.

I know I'm speculating here, but given what's happened previously this is more in line with likely reality than it working out as we need it to. I suspect Conte will get thrown at me here, but he would never have come in as an interim manager so the point is slightly moot. I also question whether he would have got these players playing for him.

Tiber

Cheerio. Any random person on this forum could do as well as he managed at United. Austria seems a nice step up from the Russian league for him so I guess his spell at United worked out for him.

Shark

@NotShark
Its his job to unite the squad as long as he is the interim manager.
Unite a squad that consists of many players that know they'll be fecking off in a few months. Good luck with that. Jesse Jingz for one was on the brink of moving to Newcastle before the whole Greenwood situation.

We're a total mess.

mk7

that’s just one possible objective for an interim manager. The other, in this case more probable one, is discussed at length in this thread/this page.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Honestly don’t get the arguments in here. The biggest issue RR was going to have was winning the players over giving his track record as manager and having never managed this profile of player before - far better managers than him would have failed in these circumstances on a 6 month deal but he’s undoubtedly failed as an interim manager here. Austria will likely suit him because if players don’t buy in he can just not call them up and they won’t play for their country. Our biggest issue the last 10 years has been recruitment, the clubs RR has built have undoubtedly been great at recruitment with many of those players going on to play at the highest levels. A few days a week focusing on the recruitment aspect of the club seems like a great move for everyone - he gets to be involved in building up hopefully a great squad, the day to day is handled by others giving him the time to manage a National side. What’s to complain about?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
No one can unite these players. They are all out for themselves.
Ole is the guy who could "unite" players, but under him we started getting beat by 3-4 goals per game.
We now have too many rotten apples in the squad and many need to be fired!

AshRK

So you are happy with RR's work as the manager?

GaryLifo

Mata? Lingard? Players out of contract, what rope did they need to hang themselves? Jones? Dalot, a player who wasn't even at United last season? Wan Bissaka, who people here don't like, and is playing less regularly?
Mata played his first league minutes of Ralf's reign against Everton. Lingard has started what two games under Ralf and come on for a few sub appearances? Jones has started 2 games and was subbed at HT in the second of those. So your point on these players is completely invalid. You asked what rope they needed, the answer is they didn't because they are out of contract, are not expecting a new contract and so were not given the rope.

So Wan Bissaka is the only possible valid counter example you're actually providing here. Players given the rope in my view have been those who either have more than 6 months remaining or are players who might think they are good enough to stay / entitled to a new contract at united - e.g. Maguire, Rashford, Pogba, McTominay, Shaw (before injury), Telles, Lindelof. There's clearly a few players he does trust and plays when fit - Ronaldo, DDG, Varane, Sancho, Elanga, Fred, Dalot, Matic.

Tavern in the town

That’s a nice way of saying he managed one top flight season in the last decade and hadn’t been anywhere near a big club despite a 40 year career.

Status
Not open for further replies.