Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revaulx

Agree. Remember most of us we're begging the club to let him go and we kept him for too long like many others in the hope that he would turn into a Rio/Vidic - he was shocking on the ball.
The problem with Evans while he was at United wasn’t so much that he was bang average; it was that he was hopelessly inconsistent. He’d have some really good runs of form which would invariably end with him doing something really stupid. The spitting incident at Newcastle which resulted in a six match ban was the last straw for LvG, and as you say most people supported his getting rid of him. Plus Evans’ departure resulted in the Smalling - Blind pairing, which was the best we’ve had post SAF.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We played it smart yesterday. Would you preferred we'd served up another wonderful display of naivety and got battered?
This should go in the post-match thread, but...

A top club, with one of the most expensive squads on the planet, would not park the bus but would attack the opponent until the opponent capitulated.
The park the bus tactic is something you'd expect a team from the Championship to employ against CFC, as they know they'll get battered if they try and go toe-to-toe.
It just shows that after 3 years, Carrick realises that this team (that he has coached poorly) is incapable of going toe-to-toe against a top 4 side in the EPL.

I will say this though: given how bad Carrick is at his job, parking the bus is the only tactic that he could've used.
Ole, Carrick, McKenna, Phelan - all of these should've been fired together. We only got rid of 25% of the problem.

Andersonson

Souness has slated the appointment on talksh*te, along with Simon Jordan as always.

He also said "Jonny Evans is better than any centre half they have" it beggars belief :lol:
Almost true though. Besides always injured Varane he would be a nailed starter

United in sin

Agree. Remember most of us we're begging the club to let him go and we kept him for too long like many others in the hope that he would turn into a Rio/Vidic - he was shocking on the ball.
He wasn't bad on the ball technically from what I remember but he was easily bullied in duels and for some reason he looked even weaker in a back three under LVG. He was shocking indeed

Almost true though. Besides always injured Varane he would be a nailed starter
I doubt RR would value a player like Evans. He couldn't cut it at United and he's no better than Lindelof IMO.

Last edited:

peridigm

Let’s hope he can sort out the set piece situation. Not scored for a set piece this season or a corner. Given all the height in the team, this is pathetic. We also struggle to defend the back post at corners or set pieces.
Been an issue for years.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Been an issue for years.
Yeah, Mourinho's United was full of trees and still couldn't score from a corner either, but it's especially baffling this year. Ronaldo is one of the biggest aerial threats in the history of football. Maguire seems to score a header every time he has a fecking England shirt on. Fernandes and Shaw have plenty good enough delivery most of the time.

It's been a criminal failure of coaching to not have that lot knocking in a few from set pieces.

Gums

Not a meltdown, just an acknowledgement of how poorly we're ran.

We appoint an interim to hold the hand of two coaches whilst they learn on the job.
Sorry Pascell, for using your post to make a point about other posts like yours. It’s not personal. But from where I‘m sitting it looks like you‘re making up a narrative, although you have as much insider knowledge as I do. Then you take your opinion as the truth and get wound up over it and other people that question your opinion.

Wouldn‘t it be easier to just state it as a thought or a worry? Then others might even be open to discuss it.

Reactions: Cheimoon

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
castles literally got the meeting of ole meeting sacked first, i’d say that makes him more reliable than most give him credit for
He throws a lot of shit on the wall. Just because one sticks doesnt mean hes credible. Look at his twitter history. I am still laughing at the relentless Kane to United links last summer.

ray_united

oh man, i really hope RR can come in sooner.

first half against Chelsea was just embarrassing, getting pegged by Chelsea, players were scared, basic mistakes after another... for a team that topped the wages chart, is it too hard to expect a fight going on every matchday ?

Cantonagotmehere

He wasn't bad on the ball technically from what I remember but he was easily bullied in duels and for some reason he looked even weaker in a back three under LVG. He was shocking indeed

I doubt RR would value a player like Evans. He couldn't cut it at United and he's no better than Lindelof IMO.
I wonder how fans rate Lindelof these days? From my un-expert eyes he has been very good of late.

CloneMC16

I wonder how fans rate Lindelof these days? From my un-expert eyes he has been very good of late.
Players that most people dislike will find it hard to turn their reps around. I think Lindelof has been good this season, though. Hopefully he continues playing like this.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Still shite.

Trademark cock-up after 2-3 minutes was bailed out by De Gea.

Such a nothing, nothing player. Isn't strong, isn't fast, isn't a great reader of the game, isn't good in the air, average on the ball, extremely passive. He has a good long pass and that's it.

hobbers

Like the opposite end of the 'Gary Neville braindead pundit' spectrum.

One thinks we can't hire another known manager because Mourinho couldn't do it. The other would probably tell us to hire Rodgers because he won an FA cup and some tinpot league titles in Scootland.

Waynne

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Our coaches has been extremely inept and dysfunctional for the past 3 years i think it's good to give everyone a clean slate. Exception being martial and pogba for not having the correct attitude, mata and matic for being literally past it relic, jones for being jones.

Players like DVD, Telles, Amad, mcT should all got a reassessment. I believe there's a squad player in McT somewhere if he's being played correctly.

Cantonagotmehere

Still shite.

Such a nothing, nothing player. Isn't strong, isn't fast, isn't a great reader of the game, isn't good in the air, average on the ball, extremely passive. He has a good long pass and that's it.
Thanks for the input, appreciate it

Marcus

You do realise Club can't sell Pogba without him agreeable to the move and he doesn't need any excuse to stay here till summer he has a valid contract for feck sake .
I agree with you of course. But I am talking about the PR battle (and social media popularity). If he pisses United fans off by saying I will not be signing a new contract and am leaving on a free because I want to, he might lose lots of followers on social media (=money). So he/his agent will play this game of saying he wishes to stay, until he leaves and give some sob story or something to keep his followers. Yes, I am cynical.

Waynne

Still shite.

At least he's comfortable on the ball. Give the ball to slabhead Harry and any opposition attacker who so much as sneezes near him gets him to cough up possession. Lindelof and Varane are our best CB pairing. Both are comfortable on the ball when we're in possession and either of them has an eye for a pass into our attackers. Agree that he's physical and defensive attributes are not that great but he's not completely useless either.
Hopefully his defensive game can be improved upon with the new manager.

Harry is the most useless 80m pound player I've seen play for this team. I fully expect Ralf to strip him off the captaincy. Doesn't have the mentality for the role.

AussieDevil

We know Ralf loves a hidden gem or two, but now that he is at a super club, he needs to also be able to bring in high profile players to compliment the younger players. I’m not talking about divas such as Di Maria, but would Ralf have supported the signing of Sancho at such a high fee? Will he compete for the Bellingham’s signing ?

Other than that I can’t wait to see which targets he has his eyes on. I’d love us to sign a Kimmich type of player, a brilliant player that develops into one of the best in the world and becomes a leader that doesn’t crave attention.

Daengophile

We know Ralf loves a hidden gem or two, but now that he is at a super club, he needs to also be able to bring in high profile players to compliment the younger players. I’m not talking about divas such as Di Maria, but would Ralf have supported the signing of Sancho at such a high fee? Will he compete for the Bellingham’s signing ?

Other than that I can’t wait to see which targets he has his eyes on. I’d love us to sign a Kimmich type of player, a brilliant player that develops into one of the best in the world and becomes a leader that doesn’t crave attention.
Wenger always seemed to have an amazing ability to find hidden gems out in the global market at a reasonable price.

From what I've read about Rangnick, he seems to be similar in that respect.

Whether that was as a result of restricted funds or a preference for youth who would run through walls for you, I'm not sure.

One thing is for sure, we need some wall busters

Nordmore

Imo he's a decent modern CB but lacks the aerial ability and strength to play in the PL.

If you pay attention to his time here you'd notice he's generally decent to good against the top teams where he doesn't have to face the strong and tall strikers of the middle table teams. But against such strikers generally he's very bad. Teams know this and often target and abuse him with long balls. He'd be pretty good in the Liga or somewhere else I think. Quite weird to think he's bought by Jose, not his typical CB at all.

United in sin

I don't rate him to be honest, but he's been better than Maguire this season. I think he's a limited player who lacks some of the key physical attributes (like pace and strength) for his position but he's been somewhat reliable in a shaky backline

SonyaCross493

The Hipsters choice along with Eric Ten Haag managing the biggest and richest club in Holland. Own ya shite if it all goes wrong as you love a manager talking about tactics and buzzwords like Gegenpressing and The Professor. Must've influenced Woodward at wanting some of that.

no way a club like Manchester United can sign hidden gems for a good price like his previous sides have. As soon as Manchester United are interested add another 0 on the end.

Wreck it Ralph is about to feel the heat at managing one of the biggest clubs in the World that has massive expectations and standards. He won't stay the Hipsters Choice for long now he's mainstream.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

He made two extremely weak mistakes at the start of the game against Chelsea. If any of those went in we would be slagging him, fortunately they didn't and he went on to have a pretty good game. I don't think he's good enough to be starting for a team that aims for top titles but he's great to have as a back up, he's really technical but lacks a lot of physicality and agressiveness.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

I'm a beautiful thing

The Hipsters choice along with Eric Ten Haag managing the biggest and richest club in Holland. Own ya shite if it all goes wrong as you love a manager talking about tactics and buzzwords like Gegenpressing and The Professor. Must've influenced Woodward at wanting some of that.

no way a club like Manchester United can sign hidden gems for a good price like his previous sides have. As soon as Manchester United are interested add another 0 on the end.

Wreck it Ralph is about to feel the heat at managing one of the biggest clubs in the World that has massive expectations and standards. He won't stay the Hipsters Choice for long now he's mainstream.
That's the spirit

Dan-Utd

As 2021 passes us by
A new manager says hi

A German by the name of Rangnick
Cheap? nope, he ain't not Carrick

We have a squad with so many talented ballers
It's a shame the odd few are more like authors

Hopefully Ralf will instil confidence and results will improve
Then up the table we shall move

3 points here, 3 points there
Sancho and Rashford could be a feared pair

The excellent Varane bossing it at the back
Disrupting every opponents attack

The interim will steady the ship and has a real chance
As thoughts turn to the permanent one, possibly a nice chap working in France

COYR

Nothing better than a spot of poetry while listening to a few choons and getting my masks ready for the day.

red4ever 79

Should have been done during the international break so he could have been here. Bit oh no not at utd. Instead we give Ole a little holiday for him to come back and get stuffed by Watford

Coops73

Trex

The likes of him and Merson talking bollocks about someone they probably know feck all about just shows how embarrassing Sky sports is getting these days.
People take sky punditry too seriously, you just need to check the clubs like City, Chelsea, Liverpool at the moment you wouldn't find many British within their technical staff, I'm more concern with what the real expert think, Klopp and Tuchel reaction matter a lot more than the souness.

Laurencio

To be fair to him, not that he deserves it, Rangnick hasn't got a very impressive CV as a coach - he has an impressive CV as a director of football and football academic. He seems more like an appointment meant to increase the football knowledge at the club and to start that process on the training ground. Someone - probably Murtough - has realised that the only man who has a genuine chance at changing the culture at the club is the manager, and with that in mind has brought Rangnick in to start that process on the training ground and then carry it on into management in a consultancy role. It's a high risk/high reward appointment made possible by the fact that PSG didn't agree to sell us Pochettino.

They aren't wrong when they say he doesn't have an impressive CV, because he doesn't. He's won like 4 trophies in his career and has never managed a top club.

Our coaches has been extremely inept and dysfunctional for the past 3 years i think it's good to give everyone a clean slate. Exception being martial and pogba for not having the correct attitude, mata and matic for being literally past it relic, jones for being jones.

Players like DVD, Telles, Amad, mcT should all got a reassessment. I believe there's a squad player in McT somewhere if he's being played correctly.
I don't think it's a massive secret that for many, many years players who come here generally perform worse than they did at their previous clubs. Hopefully this changes soon, because it is infuriating to watch player after player come in the door and just be worse than they were when we signed them...

He'll have to adapt - and I think he'll want to.

I think that at former clubs money was a limiting factor that had to be worked around - hence why there's a lot of "hidden gems" that came through. It's probably more down to necessity than anything else. Given a larger budget it would make sense to both sign hidden gems with the potential to become world beaters and the more high reputation players available (Sancho, Haaland, Bellingham (At this point we might as well just buy Dortmund). There's also an element of media handling that comes with being a Man Utd player, which established players tend to have experience with and that can overwhelm players with less experience. You need to strike a good balance and give prospects a chance to learn what it's like before throwing them into the deep-end.

RB Leipzig's most expensive player ever is Naby Keita for €29.7M, ours us Paul Pogba at €105M, and we regularly sign players for €20M that might one day have the potential to play for the first team. I would imagine that anyone who takes a serious look at the club's transfer potential would conclude that while spending €30M would be considered a significant investment at RB Leipzig with all the expectations that come with it, at Man Utd that's about average for a squad-player these days. This of course opens up for the possibility of signing high potential players without much fanfare or media attention and allowing them to grow into top players (Mejbri €5M+, Adama Diallo €15M+) while signing top reputation players to carry the "burden" we heap onto the players (Pogba €105M, Bruno €63M, Maguire €87M, Sancho €85M). I think this is a dream scenario for any footballing executive/co-director of football/transfer policy director w/e Rangnick will become. Given our transfer capabilities we should be doing a hell of a lot better than we currently are, and have a much deeper talent pool at the club than we currently see.

Real Name

Souness was a great manager by his own accord so if Ragnick's managerial CV doesnt wow him that there's something in it.

Oh wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.