Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He'll persuade Ed to go all out for Rice, the final jigsaw in the puzzle.

Then it's onto CL glory :drool:
He could also point out there are a half-dozen or so players that can do the same job Rice can/would and at a much better cost to then spread around other areas of the pitch, i.e. fullback and perhaps another CB.

iKnowNothing

Hey look,

I like the appointment, but looking at his history - what has the guy actually won? Great playing attractive high pressure football but if he's not won anything then do his tactics actually work?
Sounds like a perfect match because we aren’t likely to win anything in the next six months either. If he can coach some good football to the players, then it will be worth the time.

Dante

Average bang
Think our English contingency are in for a bit of a rude awakening. Could be feasible than Ragnick doesn't fancy our defensive English core of AWB, Maguire and Shaw. Also up the pitch, people make a song and dance about Ronaldo's lack of pressing, but the likes of Greenwood and Rashford aren't exactly known for their tireless work off the ball.

I reckon he'd love Cavani and Sancho - the latter of which actually showed us how hard he was willing to work off the ball vs Villareal.
Sancho is English as well, so he's probably shit.

Scholsey2004

Same here. Especially on McKenna who's kind of in the Rangnick mould where he is supposed to be a great footballing mind but with limited interpersonal skills. Would be interesting to see if he can learn from Rangnick's experiences.
Yeah, there needs to be someone in the structure who has the tactical knowledge to coach the coaches or new ideas cant come in.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wouldn't Poch be a bit of a strange appointment in the summer on the back of Ralf?
I think so. He actually shares something with Leonardo but in a more intense way, they are both supposed to be intense and difficult to handle, control freaks and they both have an idea about the role of head coach since they both did it. Now Rangnick was a better coach than Leonardo, nontheless I think these type of DOF/executives are better with head coaches that only care about the training ground and touchline, anyone that wants more power will have to fight someone that is not going to back down.

Dazzmondo

Very happy with this appointment. Rangnick will be perfect for getting us used to a high pressing system off the ball which will make the transition under Poch in particular much easier. Looking forward to our defence being higher and there not being a big vacuous space between our defensive 3rd and our attack.

KingCavani

Wouldn't Poch be a bit of a strange appointment in the summer on the back of Ralf?
No. Quite the opposite.

His style is more similar to Ralf's than ETH's is. Both are more direct, huge emphasis high pressing and transitions, less about control of the ball.

The school of Bielsa has more in common with the Gegenpress than the school of Cruyff. Yes ten Hag will press, but that's about the height of the similarities. There's a lot of people here clamouring for ETH who are hilariously unfamiliar with how his Ajax side play.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Sounds like a perfect match because we aren’t likely to win anything in the next six months either. If he can coach some good football to the players, then it will be worth the time.
Will seem strange to have a coach willing to do some coaching.

We need an rvn

He has developed the most fascinating, captivating, efficient brand of football that you have seen in recent years. Thats what hes done.
And that's great. But then why has he been limited to who he has coached and not taken over at another top club? I'm just a bit confused as to given his age, say what you've said about him and not been given a chance to coach Bayern / Barca etc is a bit odd, don't you think?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
This is probably the most positive I have felt about an appointment since we employed Van Gaal.

An excellent choice for an interim manager, and clearly shows our normally inept self-preserving board has an eye on fixing the structural issues at the club if he is been tapped for a technical role beyond this season.

fergosaurus

I wasn't sure about this at the start but I'm really excited by this appointment. Staying on as a consultant for two years is huge. It will be really interesting to see how he sets us up and how he can develop this squad.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He seems to talk a good game but let's see if he can deliver with the elite. Interesting appointment.

Nick7

And that's great. But then why has he been limited to who he has coached and not taken over at another top club? I'm just a bit confused as to given his age, say what you've said about him and not been given a chance to coach Bayern / Barca etc is a bit odd, don't you think?
He spent nearly a decade as Leipzig and Salzburg director of football building Leipzig up from the 4th tier with a couple of interim coaching positions with Leipzig in there.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He had a burnout at Schalke and big clubs don't really go after that type of profile, they keep things in a close circle.

Ted Lasso

I'm flippin' buzzing right now.

A lot of posters very unfamiliar with Ragnick. You're all in for a treat. I recommend watching some of his interviews on YouTube on the 'Coaches Voice' channel or if any full member can link.

This is absolutely momentous for Manchester United, especially the added consultancy. Ragnick has the ability to lay a foundation for both the football on the pitch and just as importantly our recruitment process for coaches and players.

Reactions: Carolina Red

koop

Thank god, an actual footballing no nonsense genius.
Atleast this confirms Pogba leaving, since he doesn't like to run most days. Hopefully Martial and Maguire too.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Rangnick's ideas and Pochettino don't quite fit though. I wonder if we're dead set on Poch.

Matt851

Sure but they've also just sacked Ole and at least reversed that decision.
We also had a really good summer in the transfer market. No club or ownership gets everything perfect but it's ok to accept that the running of the club is getting better and better.
Are you part of the clubs pr department?

They sacked Ole weeks later than they should have and according to articles in the athletic made no attempt to find a replacement during the international break, in the blind hope that he could turn things around

They also renewed the contracts of several of the coaching team just a few weeks ago and mike phelans contract being extended was reportedly part of the club showing their commitment to ole

Yes Varane and Sancho were seemingly good signings but the once again we neglected central midfield and seemingly passed up the chance to raise funds for these areas by refusing to sell lingard and / or pogba for realistic amounts.

The idea that the running of the club is getting better is ridiculous. This appointment seems positive but it will take a lot more to convince me that the club is now on the right track. He is currently only due to be a consultant post his interim period so ed / richard arnold could easily ignore his advice and almost every key role in the club is still taken up by a novice

Dazzmondo

His trophy record is rather...ermmm bare :nervous:
Would you really expect him to have won something with Hoffenheim, Schalke or Leipzig in a league where Bayern have dominated for at least the last 4-5 decades?

Holocene

The idea that Shaw is "done" because of the Rangnick appointment is laughable. Same applies to most of our players too.

High intensity pressing isn't something that's instinctual to players. They're taught how to do it. It's called coaching.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Would you really expect him to have won something with Hoffenheim, Schalke or Leipzig in a league where Bayern have dominated for at least the last 4-5 decades?
Which leads me to my next question, why didn't the big German clubs go for him?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He had a burnout at Schalke and big clubs don't really go after that type of profile, they keep things in a close circle.
Also I think Rangnick knows because of that that he can't do the head coach role for a long time, he is a control freak and risks to overwork himself.

That's why he only took over interim in the last years I think, while preferring the DoF style role in clubs

Scholsey2004

This week wasn’t the first time Ralf Rangnick had been interviewed for a job at Manchester United.

Or that’s how it felt to him, at least.

In the autumn of 2019, United’s technical director John Murtough travelled to Leipzig to study the Red Bull football group’s facilities and corporate strategy. A proud Rangnick, eager to show off a Champions League club he had essentially built himself, hosted Murtough for eight hours, at the end of which the German sensed that the real reason for the visit might have been him. His suspicion that he had been sounded out was strengthened when he got word that an unnamed club was conducting background research into his working methods, tapping into his mentor Helmut Gross, a trained structural engineer turned tactical maverick, and Lars Kornetka, a long-time Rangnick collaborator, for insight into his footballing beliefs and his character.

Both offered glowing reviews, painting Rangnick as a hyper-energetic football perfectionist obsessed by the smallest detail. In the end, though, the anticipated call from Old Trafford didn’t come. Rangnick never learned if United had commissioned the dossier.

This time, there was no doubt about United’s intentions. Rangnick is about to take over as interim manager following the departure of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Cristiano Ronaldo and co are about to get some very hands-on coaching.
Good post thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.