Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Good luck for you then. Unfortunately the guy is gone and will never be back because all facts and number proved he miserably failed and was sacked for his failure, no matter how much we talk about it on an internet website.

So you can roll up the YouTube and rewatch Ole's United as much as you want because it'll never be back, for the good of the club.
I'm not asking for him to come back. I want better than this nobody. He can't even beat the smaller teams.

Ole had better win ratio over a far longer period of time which is harder to achieve.

This guy gets talked about like he's a god on here. He's a nobody. Ole had a better start as coach with us. Says it all.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Next year’s CL… two paths… win the CL this season (not likely) or get top 4 (looking less likely after today’s results). So, year, bringing ETH here at the end of the season is less likely if we don’t make CL. Not saying it’s impossible, just saying it’s less likely…
Rather unlikely but I think the UCL is ours this year, we keep coming up with results and nicking decent results. Sign of champions that. Never giving up, you never know, but I think it may be our year

Hey we got Ronaldo instead.

Great board.
This the same Ronaldo who has been our top scorer this year? The same Ronaldo, who, without him we’d be out of the UCL? That Ronaldo yeah?

You would hope they have now learnt a lesson and will not go down the end of their career signing road again.
See above

If we are run as football club, what you say would be true.

Ronaldo was signed for his Social media strength.

EDIT:

Also as for the new manager, lets remember it is a two street.
Its not the board deciding who they want.
The manager also needs to believe he can work with people who know what they are doing.

Klopp decided not to work with these bunch of clowns.
Precisely. They have to get away from that. Make signings that are good and enjoyable to watch you will get social media clicks anyway.
What the feck is a social media signing? I’ll say it again, what the feck is a social media signing?
Do any of you actually know how social media works?
You don’t get paid on RT’s and Instagram comments and likes you know? Ridiculous argument.
i’m still perplexed as to what a social media signing actually fecking is?
side note: you all realise that ANY top player, any top top player, so a rather good one, brings their own clout, so to speak.

el3mel

I'm not asking for him to come back. I want better than this nobody. He can't even beat the smaller teams.

Ole had better win ratio over a far longer period of time which is harder to achieve.

This guy gets talked about like he's a god on here. He's a nobody. Ole had a better start as coach with us. Says it all.
Mourinho has better win percentage at Man United than Sir Matt Busby. He has the 2nd highest win percentage among all Man United coaches in history actually..so what ?

2.5 years of winning feck all and not mounting a single meaningful title challenge despite being the manager who was backed the most and given the most time. He also left us a shit squad that needs a rebuild -again-. Left with us 80m and 50m awful CB and RB, a shit midfield and an attack with 2 past it players leading it.

Absolute failure from every single perspective.

Ralf might not be good enough but Ole is a shit coach. It's not up for discussion at this point as these days are gone and the results of his experiment are already out.

King29

Don't understand why people are talking about Ole right now when he was given 3 years and 400 million only to get the team to lose 5 nil to Liverpool and 4-1 to exact same team we played off the park today.

Ralf's playing with a 37 yr old striker and has to rely on the likes of rashford on the bench and we're still playing better than most games under ole.

Abraxas

Can't see anything he did wrong today.

Picked a wise line up that freshened things up, we create, have something about us, limit the opposition - can't finish chances.

He responds by throwing everything he has at Watford which is logical, we need a win, nothing else will do.

Not his fault today, personal responsibility for the players out there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think he's doing a good job considering a number of players in this team are not conducive to his style of play. We played a high tempo game and had plenty of chances to score and should've put the game to bed in the first half. Unless people think Rangnick is to blame for missing those chances, then he coached a very good game.

I honestly believe if we had Rangnick preparing the team in pre-season and bought players for his proactive game style. Then I have no doubt we'd be neck and neck with Chelsea at the very least.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It’s a really slippery slope you are on. If your theory is that Ole was a shitty coach, then the results would be bad, and worse than the following manager. A *good* coach would improve the team, no?

Now, many are saying that the squad is shite, and the lack of results and poor performances are the player’s fault, not Ralf’s. Do you see the logical conundrum? If the players are awful, then is it not possible that Ole was actually a decent coach because our *good* coach has also failed to get a tune out of them?
I would have expected any interim manager we hired to immediately have improved upon our level of performances under Ole this season, because that level of performances was so horrendously bad it got Ole fired.

I wouldn't have expected any interim manager we hired to immediately have improved upon our average level of performances under Ole throughout his his entire time here, because that level of performances was massively bolstered by large quantities of time and money, advantages that were never going to be available to the interim manager this season.

There isn't a contradiction there. It's just an unfair comparison, because you're judging two different managers based on wildly different circumstances.

Imagine you have two firefighters. One you give years of time and boundless amounts of cash to so he can fireproof the building. The other you give ten minutes to while the same building is already ablaze. It doesn't make sense to then say "I thought this new guy was supposed to be better but for most of the time the first guy was in charge the building wasn't collapsing nearly as badly as this, what a let down".

Fluctuation0161

And yet it has taken us nowhere except straight towards 5th or 6th. What difference does it make if looking more "competent" when the man in charge is not going to be the next manager anyway? We have dropped an absurd amount of points since he came in which was the easiest run of fixtures we had for the season. Quite impressive for a competent team aye?
If you think a new manager can come in, flick a switch and turn us around from the "express yourself lads" coaching we had for 3 years prior and convert us to coherent styles of play overnight, then you are naive and need to manage your expectations.

First comes the competent and coherent style of play, then comes the results. Look how long it took Klopp at Liverpool and even Pep at City.

The problem with Ralf being only interim manager after our previous interim manager lasted 3 years, is a problem with our board. The lack of vision is what has hindered us for years under the Glazers.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought his changes were naff.

Sancho should have been on at half time, Dalot for AWB would have made more sense and, unpopular opinion it might be, but Mata would have been useful for that last 20 minutes. Certainly more useful then a horribly out of form Rashford.

HailtotheKing

We should’ve scored 6. Just one of those games like West Ham when the ball just wouldn’t go in. Only this time it was due to lack of killer instinct. Much rather this compared to games where we literally created no chances. Agree about Matic but what can you do when the guys runs out of puff? And Pogba also back from a long injury lay-off. As others mentioned, we should’ve bought a backup mid during the window. Not spending a few million on Zakaria Is really going to bite us. Surprised no one has got injured too with all these back to back games.

Yorke to Cole

Thought his changes were naff.

Sancho should have been on at half time, Dalot for AWB would have made more sense and, unpopular opinion it might be, but Mata would have been useful for that last 20 minutes. Certainly more useful then a horribly out of form Rashford.
Did not see it. But depressing result. We have thrown away the top 4 now. It is just happening.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
@UnitedSofa
Pretty shallow analysis.

Errr. How many goals has Ronaldo scored recently?
Serious question. Have you actually watched the matches rather than just look at the stats?
Do you understand the game?

Have you heard of shirt sales?

Take your time off from your Ronaldo shrine and start watching and understanding the game of football for a start.

DSG

Mourinho has better win percentage at Man United than Sir Matt Busby. He has the 2nd highest win percentage among all Man United coaches in history actually..so what ?

2.5 years of winning feck all and not mounting a single meaningful title challenge despite being the manager who was backed the most and given the most time. He also left us a shit squad that needs a rebuild -again-. Left with us 80m and 50m awful CB and RB, a shit midfield and an attack with 2 past it players leading it.

Ralf might not be good enough but Ole is a shit coach. It's not up for discussion at this point as these days are gone and the results of his experiment are already out.
Classic whataboutism! :lol:

el3mel

Classic whataboutism! :lol:
Ole apologists are the one who brought Ole into this because they couldn't wait for the next manager to have bad results to jump on and defend their guy again.

The thread was about Ralf. Who brought Ole and his win percentage into this ? Ole supporters. No one else.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Some points I agree with - there are other influential people who share similar values and who themselves influenced other managers a lot - like here Bielsa, who is using similar principles, influenced Pep, who was also someone Tuchel aspired to follow. So Rangnick and Bielsa (at least by proxy) are two inspirations for Tuchel, no wonder that Tuchel's Chelsea is operating in a similar way.

Did Hasenhüttl learn from Rangnick? I'll admit that he probably was more chosen because he used a similar style than being mentored by Rangnick. Nonetheless the point stands - Rangnick inherited Hasenhüttl's Leipzig and just evolved their style softly, so it is no wonder that the style Hasenhüttl plays is similar.

Klopp actually often talked to Rangnick at the beginning of his managing career and especially due to the schedule in that season he often could see a week later what he did wrong, as Hannover for some reason played a lot of teams just the matchday after Mainz did.

That said we are arguing a bit in a vacuum here as you rightly said, because we can only assume which stats The Athletic used for their post.
The same kind of graph was already used earlier https://www.redcafe.net/threads/next-permanent-manager.458681/page-238#post-28183231 and back then I think there was some kind of explanation which stats were used - stats that mark a high-pressing, intense transition style. Can't find it now, though.

Anyway, as I said, giving Rangnick all this credit triggers me, nonsense or not; I'm trying to behave and not get invlolved but you basically conjured me up with it :lol:

edit: here's the original source of the graph along with a detailed description of the stats used
https://theathletic.com/2981561/202...n-on-and-off-the-ball-suit-manchester-united/
The article calls Hasenhüttl a "Rangnick disciple" which is just wrong and triggers me all over again :lol:

The update article from today https://theathletic.com/2226878/202...nally-beginning-to-take-at-manchester-united/ isn't "archived" yet..

Last edited:

Ralph1386

Ole apologists are the one who brought Ole into this because they couldn't wait for the next manager to have bad results to jump on and defend their guy again.

The thread was about Ralf. Who brought Ole and his win percentage into this ? Ole supporters. No one else.
I agree with you.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not the first time it happened and it won't be the last. Players thinking only about their own records and neglecting the real aim. Was hoping Bruno would be more of a team player but not passing it there is a real let down.
The picture doesn't show the pace the move happened.

No player in world football tries to pass there at that speed, when through on goal like that.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
@UnitedSofa
Pretty shallow analysis.

Errr. How many goals has Ronaldo scored recently?
Serious question. Have you actually watched the matches rather than just look at the stats?
Do you understand the game?

Have you heard of shirt sales?

Take your time off from your Ronaldo shrine and start watching and understanding the game of football for a start.
Shirt Sales yes. Which have got feck all to do with social media followers. Do you really think Man Utd really need a boost in social media followers to sell Ronaldo shirts. Like feck do they. They'd sell regardless.

Shallow analysis huh? Where would we be without Ronaldo right now? Out of UCL for a start.

Yes he hasn't scored recently and his form has taken a dive off a cliff. I'll give you that much, but he's been very important to the team and the stats don't lie. He's our top goal scorer.

Understanding the game of football. Ok Pep, I'll listen to you. Because clearly Ronaldo not scoring and selling shirt sales means so much to you. Maybe pick another striker for United to use. Oh wait. We don't have one.

Martial - On Loan
Greenwood - Less said here the better
Cavani - On the medics bench
Rashford - Form taken a dive and is constantly dropped.
Bruno - Also can't score

So guess we're stuck with Ronaldo then eh?

Gimme a break. Get off your high horse.

"Understand the game of football" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Martial was loaned out before the Greenwood situation. Greenwood would obviously have been the other option up front apart from Ronaldo or Cavani otherwise.
Martial could also play on the left, although ge was not in good form. But neither was Rashford. Amad left too. And so did VDB

-Supreme-

I hope he at least stays around at some capacity if he steps down from his current position this summer, his understanding and insights gained on the current squad of players will be hugely valuable when it comes to both incoming and outgoings.

NZT-One

I think he's doing a good job considering a number of players in this team are not conducive to his style of play. We played a high tempo game and had plenty of chances to score and should've put the game to bed in the first half. Unless people think Rangnick is to blame for missing those chances, then he coached a very good game.

I honestly believe if we had Rangnick preparing the team in pre-season and bought players for his proactive game style. Then I have no doubt we'd be neck and neck with Chelsea at the very least.
I know hindsight is always 20/20 but wouldn't you agree, that putting Bruno and Pog in midfield was a mistake? Both went to being less influential, Pogba was out of steam after 5minutes playing like that. I thought, it was a classic move of just getting the balance wrong. We were quite controlled for most of the game but when Fred and Matic went off, we were way too top-heavy. And it didn't pay off in terms of good chances as well.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

But Mourinho was a good manager once upon a time. That appointment at least made some sense at the time. It was a combo of the board and Jose's own personal issues that made that relationship turn sour in the end. Most Utd fans at the time were excited by his arrival.

Again not the point though. A man who hasn't coached for 9 years and was Locomotive Moscow's sporting director was hardly going to inspire this group of players.

Hopefully he's just an interim. Worst thing we could do is continue with him. Kind of why not making top 4 might be a blessing for us. I'm scared to death if we pulled it off they'd give him the job.

Ole lost 6 in 17 games this season, with this squad he built, losing 4-1 to the same pile of shite we played today, as well as defeats to the likes of fecking Young Boys.
Ralf has come in mid-season and lost 1 in 17 without a single one of his ”own” players.
Ole was utter wank, give it up.

MrSingh2002

I think Ralfs done and doing a great job.

He can do nothing about Cavani being injured all the time or the Greenwood situation.

Truth is we've lost our two best finishers and Ronaldo or Bruno don't come close to being as ruthless finishers. Ronaldo doesn't have enough left to warrant being at United next season.

Ronaldo and Cavani need to be replaced with a top young centre forward.

captaincantona

I like Ralf. I think....he knows what he is doing and we just need better options...better striker...quality DM...RW to replace Greenwood....and then fill some of the gaps left by the deserters. We are doing some things very well.

I’m happy with him.

Godfather

The Ole apologists are having a field day I see. Ironically after a game that we looked very good in for most parts and against an opponent he got a spanking against.

el3mel

But Mourinho was a good manager once upon a time. That appointment at least made some sense at the time. It was a combo of the board and Jose's own personal issues that made that relationship turn sour in the end. Most Utd fans at the time were excited by his arrival.

Again not the point though. A man who hasn't coached for 9 years and was Locomotive Moscow's sporting director was hardly going to inspire this group of players.

Hopefully he's just an interim. Worst thing we could do is continue with him. Kind of why not making top 4 might be a blessing for us. I'm scared to death if we pulled it off they'd give him the job.
I didn't say Ralf has been a success. I criticized him a lot and don't want him here as a permanent manager next season. We're talking about you shoehorning the previous manager into this.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Anyway, as I said, giving Rangnick all this credit triggers me, nonsense or not; I'm trying to behave and not get invlolved but you basically conjured me up with it :lol:
At least this is a more interesting topic than most of what was posted in this thread today :lol:

MattofManchester

I think he's done well so far.

This is a disjointed team, and he's been able to eke out some semblance of control in games.

Games like today, against Middlesborough and Burnley are out of his managerial control.
We just fail to take our chances to win the game.
Is there anybody who can really say that we didn't dominate these games and should have won them?

I don't get why there is so much criticism for him. He's here half a season, and he just has to get the results first and foremost.

We get a new manager after that. He's not staying. So why are people bemoaning him being here?

Him as an interim with a new man in the summer was the best outcome.

Stop flip-flopping ffs.

What we need now is a CL place so our transfer window doesn't go to shit.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The failure to slot in proper finish did us in today. Unless Ralf has de-emphasized finishing in training he can’t blamed for what we saw today.
But we say this nearly every single game. Our ability to finish chances has dropped about five levels since RR came in.

crossy1686

career ending
But we say this nearly every single game. Our ability to finish chances has dropped about five levels since RR came in.
We've only got one fit recognisable striker at the club. I'm not sure how you can suggest it's anything to do with Ralf that Bruno kicks the ball straight at the GK?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I know hindsight is always 20/20 but wouldn't you agree, that putting Bruno and Pog in midfield was a mistake? Both went to being less influential, Pogba was out of steam after 5minutes playing like that. I thought, it was a classic move of just getting the balance wrong. We were quite controlled for most of the game but when Fred and Matic went off, we were way too top-heavy. And it didn't pay off in terms of good chances as well.
I see where you're coming from mate, but for me he got the selection correct. We were playing a team who are battling relegation and taking a risk with team balance was the way to go imo. And tbh with you, the game should've been over in the first half.

And you're correct that we lost control in the second half. Because if we look back with hindsight, then the correct sub would've been to bring Sancho on and keep both Matic and Fred on the pitch. Especially Fred because he's better than both Matic and Pogba at defending a large space due to his superior tenacity and mobility. And at that stage we were throwing the kitchen sink at Watford but unfortunately our players ran out of gas and we also have a issue in the team where there's a number of players who are weak at defending a large space on the counter attack. So it was strange to see Fred come off.

But if I'm honest, I enjoyed the game and felt the gung-ho approach was good to see at the end. It reminded me of Fergie's teams from the 90s early 2000s. But sadly for us, our team runs out of steam and are unable to maintain a tempo throughout the game. And that's a issue that Rangnick's inherited, along with several players who aren't best suited to the heavy metal football he wants to implement. So I think he's doing a very good job considering the circumstances.

ROFLUTION

xG 2.44 today. Clearly Ralph is on the unlucky side of variance in this match.

We play decent, but feck me, if we had a finisher like Haaland or Son we'd be banging in goals forever

MalaysianRed7

That’s down to Ronaldo’s remarkable loss of form, and other players doing stupid things like Bruno aiming for the corner against Boro when literally the whole goal was open. Rashford has always been one of the worst finishers in the top half of the league, and Sancho is still young.

Literally anything can be put down to the manager, aside from chance conversion. There’s no training method for chance conversion that can replicate match situations, aside from maybe 4 on 3’s or 3 on 3’s. It’s not as simple as saying: “Ronaldo, you’ve been rubbish in front of goal recently. Go and look to dribble past Harry and shoot at David 15 times now, and hand the ball over to Rashford when you’re done.” He could not have done more for us to beat Middlesbrough, Burnley, Southampton and Watford. That’s an FA Cup win and 6 extra points.

It’s totally down to the players. Our chance of getting even a point out of City away is as low as 20% imo anyway, but it’s not an exaggeration to say that it’ll be zero if we continue finishing like this, because not many bigger guarantees in life than City scoring against this defence that has let us down all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.