Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Please leave Ralf out of it.

These players have just given up - what's their motivation to play anymore for? They don't care, they believe that new manager comes in, they'll prove him that actually they're decent and contract is extended. Business as usual. But Ralf takes notes and passes them along to new manager, who then evaluates the situation based on what he sees and what has Ralf written already down - so that time, these players are fecked.

They don't care about trophies, it's just too far away at the moment to even think about them.

I'm asking all of you just to let this season go, tune out and spend time with your loved ones or activities which benefit your wellbeing. Come back in August when new season starts and lower all the expectations - just give the new manager time and enjoy the process. It will get better, but it takes time.

(If Poch is the new coach then I'll quit watching United. Ten Hag or no one - otherwise this club is just doomed and truly has some change only when we have new owners)

jackal&hyde

The players had given up under Ole, he was done. This is what always happens when someone else fails all of a sudden the last guy was actually the solution. The problem is Rangnick has ended up just like Ole, the only difference is Rangnick isn’t accountable for putting all this together but Ole is.

Said when Ole left the culture at the club was worst it’s been and I’ve been proven right. His cultural reboot was an unmitigated disaster and I imagine we’d be even lower in table if he’d stayed.
I've never thought Moyes, LVG or Mourinho was ever the solution. Neither was Ole for making a title winning team. But the team responded to Ole as we've seen time and again after long bad spells we bounced back in spectacular form. I disagree the team gave up on him; rather I think they gave up on the season after the sacking. The culture was that they believed they can regain form as we did do in those 2 seasons, to forget that is to be in denial.

Ole was mediocre but he should have stayed with this group of players till the end of the season. The drama queens and poor leadership that this squad has, they responded to Oles methods much better then RR. It would have been in the best interest of the club to end the season with him and get the new manager in the summer.

We would be top 4 with Ole now not because of wishful thinking but because I've seen it 2 seasons in a row.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He was not hired to be a permanent manager in the first place because everyone including himself knew that he just is not that good in that position. His motivation and PR skills, and even staff are not up to the standard from 'the short term' I have seen for us in this situation.

Carrick should have stayed till the end and it would not be much worse while sorting off-field issues out behind the scenes. Now, the atmosphere is more toxic due to a stranger with so much (false) hype coming in and not improving a damn thing, so it feels more hopeless. Obviously, once again, the fault lies with the club.
I think Rangnick was brought in to scope the squads for the summer reset too. That's something Carrick cant offer as much.

Also Carrick is also very unproven. He had 3 games in charge.

Thiagoal

Disappointed in him. If he really wanted to go high pressure/octane and coach it well surely he could just pick the ones who can do it and we'd see the results. Instead it's just the same Ole ball of nothing.

But given his pedigree is in club building we should keep him in that capacity.
Total agree! He’s either bottled it or someone above him is directing him as to which players have to be selected (which wouldn’t surprise me either)

Hailee

he wouldnt. Players arent suited to it. But thats why RR is a clown. Would be a bit like taking Man City over mid season and deciding your main tactic was to play route 1. Its not the players, its your delusion in how you are going to play the players at your disposal in a system they will
Not be suited to
you cant build fitness mid season. He needed to do something different
So we keep playing shit football and buying players that suit the shit football because we have been playing shit football all these while?

feck this shit, play they style that wins and get rid of the cnuts who can't keep up. Unfortunately for us it's most of the squad.

Tiber

He came in to improve a struggling team mid season and knew exactly what was awaiting him when he applied for the job.

He may not have caused the mess, but he hasn't been any help whatsoever either.

90 + 5min

Do you even realise the irony in what you're writing?

"Fotball is a results based business"

We have won 1 game in 7.

And you're saying the manager has no blame in this whatsoever. Absolute state of this deluded fanbase.
Manager nothing to do with this. It is 100% on players.

The United

I think Rangnick was brought in to scope the squads for the summer reset too. That's something Carrick cant offer as much.

RR can do that without managing the squad personally. I mean how many good DFs do that in other clubs?

I never said Carrick should be hired as a consultant. And, other than being relegated under him, as I said, nothing could have been much worse than now.

Moriarty

I-once suggested it was a cost-saving idea and was poo-poohed.

I believe it now. It was because these idiots thought even Rangnick can get them top four even with his rustiness.

Great gamble, boys.
Might be something in that. Who recommended him for the job? There must have been some interview process.
Even so, there's only so much a short-term custodian can do, cheap or not. It seems to me that these players do what they want for who they want. Maybe the club should take a dressing room vote for the next manager and hire on that basis. Couldn't be any worse.

city-puma

It seems a lot of people here Ralf are playing the same system as Ole has done here.
it is completely wrong. Even when set up to the 4-2-3-1, we played a completely different system actually.

ShinjiNinja26

Basically anyone who suggests he couldn’t have done any better than he has. And there’s a few.
He’s obviously not blameless and some of his subs have been questionable at times but what specifically are the things he’s done that’s directly impacted us in a negative way? There’s a stat from todays game that Everton ran 10k more than we did, how the feck can it be his fault if the players don’t bother their arse because they know he’s gone come the end of the season anyway?

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Honestly, any manager wouldn't turn us around in Rangnick's situation. People blaming him are missing the point.

We're seeing a perfect storm of events where the players, with the board siding with them over previous managers for money reasons, already know they will take the easy option over culling them. Wherever the club finishes, their wages & futures are safe.

Rangnick has tried to come down to their level, with the 4-2-2-2, then 4-2-3-1. It's made no difference at all.

Rangnick called the players out on this attitude, and they've threw him under the bus ever since. They tried his system for one half vs. Palace in his 1st match, and they gave it another go vs. Atlético for their own desires. But other than that, they know that he's only interim, and hasn't got any real power, so feck him basically.

What else is there to play for, for the players? They don't have any professional pride. They've packed up for their holidays since Atlético, and there's nothing that Rangnick can do about it.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

I agree but still, I think it was poor from the club to give up on the season so early; we could have still gotten top 4 in a race with Arsenal and Spurs. RR should have been brought in as a consultant from the beginning and Ole left to finish the season. No chance of CL makes the rebuild that much harder. The squad is crap but at least it had some level of response to Ole like we've seen the last 2 seasons.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Okay, so he’s a has-been (or never-was) but he’s the level of manager this squad and club deserves.

ETH shouldn’t be wasting his career on footballers who think playing football is beneath them. It’s not a serious job for serious managers.

el3mel

Ole apologists are so tiresome. We can't discuss the current manager without them forcing their beloved manager into it.

AshRK

He has been a failure, no beating around the bush. He has actually done nothing to make us better, in fact we have become ever more boring. Playing Mata and then talking about future. The guy has been an utter disappointment.

90 + 5min

Ole apologists are so tiresome. We can't discuss the current manager without them forcing their beloved manager into it.
What? Where? I was pro Solskjaer. I am pro Rangnick. And will be pro next manager until I’ve seen something else because it is clear as day where problem is. And that is not with managers.

Man-United

Fans wanted LvG, fans wanted Mourinho, fans was happy when Ole got hired, fans also wanted Rangnick. Fans want ten Hag.

Red00012

If anyone thinks this is solely on Rangnick I’d stop following Utd now as Ten Hag won’t turn these clowns into title candidates over pre season

tjb

Our team and individual players look much worse under him than Ole.
All of our attackers look average to poor at the moment, even the likes of Bruno who are usually good performers.
Yes, we lost Greenwood and yes there have been dressing room issues. However, where players like Shaw, Varane, Rashford and CR7 were performing at least to an inconsistent good degree, he's completely lost ALL of those players.

Even at the start of the season, we were attacking in most of those games and had large periods of dominance, with the main issue being unable to control the games. Not that we could not attack or defend at all. We didn't come third and second with Ole playing like we currently are. The idea behind sacking Ole at the time was that he was clearly not the man to take us to the top of the table. Last season, a lot of people believed that us having better midfielders would lead to us challenging properly with that squad, one which has only had additions since. We played 38 games last season, just like we will this season, finishing second, winning a lot of games comfortably, being able to come back from losing positions. We literally had a long unbeaten away record to start the season. To now say everything we had was actually rubbish, Ole was a crap manager and it was all luck is really not being honest. Rangnick himself said we had a talented group. Fans need to be honest about this. He came in, already alienated players like Luke Shaw and AWB from previous comments he made prior to his arrival, then proceeding to benching them to change things up. He's managed not to get a tune out of all the significant attacking players we have had, using Elanga as a success story, despite him contributing even less than the other attacking players. Bruno isn't firing under him, Pogba isn't firing under him, Maguire is just as bad under him and the defence looks no better with him.

Are some of the players causing dressing room issues? Yes.
Are they all motivated to play? No
Should we sell a lot of these players? Yes

That doesn't mean Rangnick hasn't been a complete failure. Outside of giving us an insight into the players in the squad and being blunt in his media responses, he hasn't done anything useful. It's been so bad, there's a part of me that feels he may come with a viewpoint that is aggressively biased against some of the players to mask his own failures. It's United. Our fans can't go on about us not falling into the " back your manager" culture and then only blame the players for this mess.

Nash27

When Ole was here, ohhh it was Ole's fault. Now that Ralf cant get things any better, there are people actually blaming it all on players. Sorry but the manager has to take some of the blame.
I feel he is just not a good man manager and cant get through to the players. Probably its best that we just keep him as a consultant and nowhere near management. I have seen nothing different
to the way we player since December when he took over.

jackal&hyde

It's because even after so many months he is still being used as an excuse for why we are so terrible. The cartoon level hate for him is so strong in some that I predict years from now if we lose a game some posters will try to blame it on him.

Zen86

He’s obviously not blameless and some of his subs have been questionable at times but what specifically are the things he’s done that’s directly impacted us in a negative way? There’s a stat from todays game that Everton ran 10k more than we did, how the feck can it be his fault if the players don’t bother their arse because they know he’s gone come the end of the season anyway?
We played against a very poor Everton team at the end of the day. A very poor one. It’s not an insurmountable task and if the players aren’t motivated, that’s partly on him.

el3mel

It's because even after so many months he is still being used as an excuse for why we are so terrible. The cartoon level hate for him is so strong in some that I predict years from now if we lose a game some posters will try to blame it on him.
He splashed 400m and built this godawful squad without achieving anything in return, so of course he shoulder blame.

I mean, Mourinho and LVG are still getting blamed for United misery years after they had already left.

ShinjiNinja26

We played against a very poor Everton team at the end of the day. A very poor one. It’s not an insurmountable task and if the players aren’t motivated, that’s partly on him.
Yes, it’s partly on him but I have suspicion these lot haven’t given him a fair shake from the start because they know he’s a short term appointment. Also these are grown arse men where’s their sense of pride? They’re meant to be “top players” can they not put the effort in to save their own reputations whether they like the manager or not. Putting in 100% effort on the pitch is the absolute bare minimum for any professional footballer never mind when at a club the size of United. Running 10k less than relegation fodder is an embarrassment and that is on the players.

allen7

I like Ralf but today he has to take the blame, he talks tactically nicely about the game but couldn’t execute 10% of it.
If he feels that those players are not good, then he has the option to bench a few and start some fresh legs like he did for Elanga.

He choses AWB and telles who lost a combined 26 times possession today alone. Fullback positions are one of the dangerous spots to lose ball for opposition but he never looks for an alternative approach.

His poor subs and resting matic without a reason for UCL second leg costed us and now he couldn’t motivate players to see out the rest of the games. I had high hopes on him but he’s a huge disappointment.

Roboc7

I've never thought Moyes, LVG or Mourinho was ever the solution. Neither was Ole for making a title winning team. But the team responded to Ole as we've seen time and again after long bad spells we bounced back in spectacular form. I disagree the team gave up on him; rather I think they gave up on the season after the sacking. The culture was that they believed they can regain form as we did do in those 2 seasons, to forget that is to be in denial.

Ole was mediocre but he should have stayed with this group of players till the end of the season. The drama queens and poor leadership that this squad has, they responded to Oles methods much better then RR. It would have been in the best interest of the club to end the season with him and get the new manager in the summer.

We would be top 4 with Ole now not because of wishful thinking but because I've seen it 2 seasons in a row.
Saying we’d be too 4 with Ole is a joke surely, the guy was a dead man walking for weeks. I’m sure other managers could have done better than Rangnick but Ole is just ridiculous.

The reason the squad is so rotten is largely because of Ole, at least he’s gone and can start tackling issues he left behind, or attempting to at least. Ole was always presiding over a house of cards, so many saw it coming whilst others are still clinging to his top four finishes.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Fans wanted LvG, fans wanted Mourinho, fans was happy when Ole got hired, fans also wanted Rangnick. Fans want ten Hag.
Did fans want Jose? Were fans happy with Ole getting the job fulltime?

Status
Not open for further replies.